Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs runined Dragon Age Inquisition for me.

I could deal with some of combat and dialed back classes from Dragon Age Origins since the 2nd one was as well.   But what really put me off was the MMO open world style quest.  

I have a very small threshold now for quest that make me do X number of Y.   It's pure filler crap.  I like single player RPGs because you just do the story normally.  I go into a bandit camp and kill them all and the leader because he attack my village.  Not kill 10 bandits repawning and colect 20 daggers and Blah Blahs head. 

Would you approve of developers putting more MMO style quest into single player RPG?

Comments

• TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I do not approve of it all, just like you. One of the things that got me was the gathering for crafting. Having to harvest several nodes to creation something. Just you mentioned, it is pure filler.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Dragon's Dogma has a ton of kill quests but at least they are not mandatory and can be done without you even trying since most of the monsters required to be killed can be found randomly in dungeons or the open world.

However I agree with you if it's done bad. Kingdom of Amalur for example turned me off quite quickly when it made me feel like I'm playing a single player mmo themepark.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    It's not just filler at this point kill x of y is lazy crap design.

The repetitive crap in DA:I makes questing in some MMOs look good.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Nilden said:

Lazy crap?  Cost efficient.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    waynejr2 said:
    Nilden said:

Have you played DA:I?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I gotta admit... that stuff annoyed me too. And yes, it's probably MMO design sneaking into single player games. "Hey, these guys actually pay 15$ to do this crap on games that practically have no story whatsoever! We can totally get away with putting in some repetitive crap, and then bragging about how many hours of enjoyment our game offers! \o/"

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    dai suck.....i regret buying it.....its so gay..but a good game if u have no internet and want to play mmo style
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    I actually enjoyed DA:I quite a bit.

However, I would still agree with most the sentiments made. So much of the game's content was effectively a grind padding the short instances of story missions actually progressing the plot. If you ripped out all the fluff between the narrative quests it'd be a remarkably truncated experience.

And the amount of world changes were pretty finite. Beyond the few narrative quest component that used it to bar progress, a lot of it was pretty lacking in any apparent impact save for a footnote in your quest log. Everything else about the zones reset every time you left.

Did make for a lot of things running counter to the interesting elements of the game.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    For some reason I didn't find it grindy at all. I thought it was really fun exploring all the areas and opening the story up, and the combat was pretty good too. Probably the best dragon fights (outside of Dragons Dogma which just has the best of everything) in any game I have played.

I just focused on the stories and didn't do the things that I thought were bothersome- like finding the constellation things and some other gathering stuff. I tried one of the expansions though and couldn't get back into it.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Dat fail of a pc port
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    waynejr2 said:
    Nilden said:

In MMORPG it was design issues of how do you have open world quest to share. There is no reason for a single player game to have those type of quest. 

"Weirdly, we actually had a project code-named Blackfoot which was the first game we had that was looking at Frostbite," Inquisition executive producer Mark Darrah told GamesIndustry International. "It was a Dragon Age game, multiplayer only, that was in development beforeDragon Age II came out."

Just read this and now everything makes sense.  Inquisition was orginally gping to be an MMORPG. 
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    edited August 2016
    Dragon Age games, yes even Dragon Age : Origins are games overloaded with pointless filler combat.

While all crpg/single player rpgs have this to certain extent, Bioware seems to overload their games with it more and more.

Just compare Baldur's Gate 2 and Dragon Age games in this regard and then compare how Dragon Age series evolved.   More and more grind, filler combat overload and general cheap filler content.

I don't know what is basis of such design direction but certainly this is deliberate.

Anyway in terms of single player AAA rpg,  The Witcher 3 completly declassed DA:I.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Dragon Age: Inquisition was one of the worst titles I've seen from Bioware. The writing was lacking. Story choices were few and far between. Roleplaying was barely present. The romance options sucked. The classes were dumbed-down and poorly balanced. 

It just wasn't good - and the MMO style quests didn't help.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I loved all of the Dragon Age games.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I like all the filler  quests in skyrim. 500 hours so far and only1/3 through the story.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I like all the filler  quests in skyrim. 500 hours so far and only1/3 through the story.
    There's a pretty big difference. TES sidequests tend to be pretty detailed with interesting NPCs and some roleplaying choices. I never felt like I was roleplaying during a DA:I sidequest. 
  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    I'll agree the side quests were very underwhelming in DA:I and did have some of the worst filler quests I've ever seen (collect 3 bear claws for no reason?). However I still enjoyed the game and all the DLCs.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I agree and personally didn't like the game.  It was deeper than just the way in which quests were presented for me though.  I also didn't like the art style, voice acting, characters, lore, tactics table, and combat.  I much prefer Biowares other games Baldur's Gate 1/2, Knights of the Old Republic, and Mass Effect trilogy.  I just started playing KOTOR again for the first time in many years and I'd forgotten most of the story.  Despite the graphics I much prefer the in depth character building and story.  Overall it's still worth playing IMO.