Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Harder PVE Monsters Ideas

nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
edited August 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Most MMOs i encountered has a very easy PVE mobs. For example, GW2, teso, archeage, bdo.

Monsters line of sight for aggressive behavior was very bad.

Even when my character was located on their logical line of sight, they wont attacking the player (even the monsters was aggressive types). The monsters waiting the player come very very near, only then they will attack.

Monsters are so dumb, they saw their kind being attacked by players, but they just standing there like nothing happen, waiting their turn to be slaughtered.

This makes the game boring. no thrill, no danger..too stereotype..we need next gen, new fresh gameplay!!!

Its need more tweak, in term of the AI, especialy logical line of sight and aggressive behavior.

AI will have logical line of sight (im not sure, maybe 100 meters? 200 meters?) if the monsters is aggresive types, they will attacking any player that appear on their sight.

Monster will spawn in group of 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 for 20% chance each. Meaning there is 20% a monsters will spawn solo on the area, 20% chance to spawn in group of 5, 4, 3 or 2

It wont be stereotype monster spawn alone all the time.

monster range from level 1 to level 5 share the same area (1 huge map contains several area, like gw2, teso, probably level 1-10 share the same leveling maps. if the max level of the game was 100, developer can only create 10 maps...easier for them, but dev can always make more if they want, meaning if every map has levels 1-5, to achieve level 100, they will need to create 20 maps.).  

there is allocation for monster of every level to spawn. Meaning the area will always have 20% of level 1 monsters populating it. if level 1 monster die, it will spawn another level 1, same goes for other levels.

why level 1-5 share the same area? it will be hard. yes it will be hard, no more relaxing, killing 1 monster after another. player need to plan their attack properly, player will need to attack and retreat. player will need escape skills, because monsters will chase you for 300 meters.

about AI for chasing.

monsters will spawn in the area with specific guarding radius. Meaning they will guard, attack, wandering, chase, any player within their radius. the radius could be 300 metres. if the player runs away from their guarding area, mobs will retreat and go back to their guarded area. but in wont be as buggy as teso (where monsters will be over powered running back and insta heal, i know this to prevent player kiting style, but insta heal is broken)

there is many mobs in the area, each mobs will cover 300 meters radius. sometimes player will encountered 2, 3 groups of mobs that share the same radius. fight if u can, retreat if u cant.

of course with this systems, solo leveling will be pain in the ass. its required tactic, not just grind. but its an mmorpg, they will be other players.

Comments

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    My another ideas, instead of level 1-5 sharing the same area, lets make monsters of  the area just have 1 same levels, example, level 1 just level 1, level 5 just level 5.

what makes it hard?

the fact that monsters spawn in group was challenging enough.

as level 1, if you are not retarded or bad player, surely u can beat 1 same level mobs right? but what if there were 2? 3? 4? or 5?

that required tactical play and team play

what if there is no pure tanker? all class was combat class? like action combat
    Vardahoth said:
    Ugh...

For me, this is one of the things that is killing mmorpg's (it's a bullet point in my signature link).

That said, if you need ideas for enemies to be harder without having to use any stratagy (lets be honest, if every class can cc/heal/tank/buff then creating any kind of hard monster for a party goes out the window), then I would suggest you make monsters actually do attacks that 1hit kill you and take a long time to kill.
    action combat doesn't kill mmo... what kills mmo was the boring long grind...

if leveling was fun, people will play
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Boring as hell. If you go that route, you should just have everyone the same.  Then you will see and understand how boring it will be. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:

Boring as hell. If you go that route, you should just have everyone the same.  Then you will see and understand how boring it will be. 
    gw2 has this and its fun.

whats boring is easy monsers. we need stronger more smarter monsters
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    waynejr2 said:

Gw2 Sucked.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:
    waynejr2 said:

Gw2 Sucked.
    what mmo u like?
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I think action combat is where you can have a more engaging "pure" tank. Rather than yelling at the mob for it to keep attacking you, one would have to stun, slow, snare and physically intercept mobs, and their attacks, from hitting allies. Not that traditional aggro mechanic tanking is bad, just not very exciting or creative.

That said, without some for of mob control, either aggro or CC based, it becomes a cluster and worse off IMO. The GW2 style of chaos and lack of real strategy in events, etc. wore off quickly for me.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    waynejr2 said:
    waynejr2 said:

Gw2 Sucked.
    I agree.

No healer or tanks made the game a ballerina show with everyone rolling left and right and kiting until x dies. Yay "fun"...

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited August 2016
    This topic description reminds me of an idea I've had for impossibly hard npc's:

Make it so that the deeper you go into the npc's territory, it becomes suicidal.

Such an idea require some kind of land or space area where the player can travel for some time. Or, maybe some cave system for example.
  • GrayPhilosopherGrayPhilosopher Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I agree. I've also grown bored of typical MMO monster AI. Neatly packed, evenly spaced camps of monsters waiting around until you get into aggro range.

I'd love to see a more reactive AI combined with mob placements that made more sense from a narrative perspective, to make it less 'gamey'.

Instead of a big open plain with wolves patrolling their own little square every 5 meters, have a big open plain with packs of wolves patrolling the whole area randomly.
    Maybe have them attack and chase "prey animals" on their own. Make them cower away when outnumbered or just alone. Make them howl for help from nearby wolves. Make them assault players in packs, etc. etc.

Make it seem like the world is actually reacting to my presence as a player in the game.
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Trust me. You dont want harder mobs. FFXIV has atm hardest pve encounter. And guess what FFXI had the hardest monsters out there.

i remember a fight where player stayed in rotation for days. i cant find the video but it was a really long ass fight. people...were...playing...in rotation for days :)

In terms of PVE Final Fantasy Universe is the best. Best all. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Hefaistos said:
    Trust me. You dont want harder mobs. FFXIV has atm hardest pve encounter. And guess what FFXI had the hardest monsters out there.

i remember a fight where player stayed in rotation for days. i cant find the video but it was a really long ass fight. people...were...playing...in rotation for days :)

In terms of PVE Final Fantasy Universe is the best. Best all. 
    I would agree. Games need more player/class responsibilities versus this one man army mentality in today's mmo world. The great thing about FFXI was that devs could release a completely overpowered mob and players had to control it in order to kill it. So yeah you NEEDED debuffs like slow/blind/paralyze if you wanted to stand a chance versus various things. Buffers NEEDED to haste tanks and refresh so on etc. Adding things like subtle blow and store tp to the mix only made it even better since physical dps needed to calculate how much they needed otherwise it would lead to ability spam if they stayed on the mob for too long. But I guess devs now are afraid people will just ragequit if they have too many responsibilities or things they HAVE to do in order to clear content.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Not to dis on a great game like FFXI but bullet sponges is the thing that makes harder enemies look bad in games.

We don't need that.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    edited August 2016
    For truly better/harder mobs you would need 2 things:

1. HUGE # of server CPU cycles to process very big amount of scripts all the time

2. Lot of programmer hours writing scripts for mobs in diffrent parts of game and debbugins it

3. Difficiculty -  i.e. what I would personally want from normal ordinary mobs in terms of scripting and smart difficulty is more than 90%+ of players would want

That's not even touching things like latency, etc

Problem is both technological and economical as well as conceptual.

Kinda why MMORPGs mobs / open world actual difficulty haven't progressed much since first MMORPG in 1997.
    DMKano said:
    The problem is masses don't want smarter mobs. 

So in the end it's really an issue what the mass market demands.

If eq1 style combat and mob difficulty was what the overwhelming majority wanted - every MMO would be like that.

Guess what - that's not what the masses want.

Devs are fully capable of making smarter mob AI, servers are fully capable of handling it today - neither is the reason why we don't see this today.

So go and support indie games like Pantheon that will have this type of mob AI and combat. 
    Don't expect a major mass market game to have it though.
    its lazy progamming. even skyrim mobs has bettter ai...
    edited August 2016
    I haven't played EQ1 so I cannot comment on mobs there.   What they did diffrently aside of having very long 'agroo follow' ? (I read about eq1 'mob trains').

As for Pantheon - no chance.   Won't touch indie MMORPG with a 5 feet pole. 

Besides things I hear about EQ1 (and Pantheon is supposed to be spiritual succesor?) like spawn camping or big amount of grinding are opposite of what I would want.

For better AI combat I do use those small amount of single player games that do try to make it interesting or sometimes even try to innovate.
  • rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Sulaa said:

1. HUGE # of server CPU cycles to process very big amount of scripts all the time

2. Lot of programmer hours writing scripts for mobs in diffrent parts of game and debbugins it

3. Difficiculty -  i.e. what I would personally want from normal ordinary mobs in terms of scripting and smart difficulty is more than 90%+ of players would want

Kinda why MMORPGs mobs / open world actual difficulty haven't progressed much since first MMORPG in 1997.
    Says who?

cpu cycles, scripts are these terms supposed to give street cred?

Who says NPC AI can't be driven by a GPU server?
    Who says NPC decisions should follow 'scripts'?
    Who says behavioural decisions are relatively expensive compared to collision detection or movement pathing?
    Who says less predictable behaviour is more susceptible to latency?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Sulaa said:

So the technologies have not advanced enough over the last 19 years to improve on MMORPG AI?

Such a huge factor when it comes to game play and it's pretty much been ignored. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    DMKano said:

If eq1 style combat and mob difficulty was what the overwhelming majority wanted - every MMO would be like that.

Devs are fully capable of making smarter mob AI, servers are fully capable of handling it today - neither is the reason why we don't see this today.

So go and support indie games like Pantheon that will have this type of mob AI and combat. 
    It doesn't always have to be about mob difficulty. It's more about making the pve combat more entertaining. The illusion of danger and survivability.

We need more creativity with Mob AI, its pretty much been completely ignored.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

rounner said:
    Sulaa said:

Says who?

cpu cycles, scripts are these terms supposed to give street cred?

Who says NPC AI can't be driven by a GPU server?
    Who says NPC decisions should follow 'scripts'?
    Who says behavioural decisions are relatively expensive compared to collision detection or movement pathing?
    Who says less predictable behaviour is more susceptible to latency?

In all games I've investigated Ai scripts were processed by CPU.  I don't know if it's possible to 'run' them on GPU, if there are any examples - please provide.

If not scripts then what they 'should' follow?

I include collision detection (not necessarily with player characters or other NPCs as game may not feature this, but with buildings, etc) and movement pathing in "Ai" in this particular example as those things would be needed is NPCs would be "smarter", more "independant", reactive, free-roaming, etc

I said reactive behaviour specificially, so if you wanna ask something about that and latency go ahead.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    The thing is, mobs are powerups. 

If each mob was "a challenge" then players would eventually get tired of another 5 battle for every mob.

Unless of course the game designed changed so that battles would be more infrequent.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited August 2016
    Sovrath said:
    The thing is, mobs are powerups. 

If each mob was "a challenge" then players would eventually get tired of another 5 battle for every mob.

Unless of course the game designed changed so that battles would be more infrequent.

tired then stop...resume it later

u eat, feel full? then stop..

thats basic things..

what important is, before i get tired, i had fun fighting mobs..not a boring retard ai grind.

how can i get immersive in the game if the ai is stupid retard? even 5 years old can level up with that easy ai
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    laserit said:
    DMKano said:

It doesn't always have to be about mob difficulty. It's more about making the pve combat more entertaining. The illusion of danger and survivability.

We need more creativity with Mob AI, its pretty much been completely ignored.
    MMORPGs provide difficulty through mob abilities.  It's a visible ability you can adapt and react to.  Whereas if mobs work via realistic line of sight, then you can't plan around the behavior of the mobs in any significant way, which causes the game to be less tactically rich.

In short, "realistic AI" is a bad idea for most types of games, and certainly not the best way to increase difficulty in a game.

If you don't want to take my developer's word for it, you could take another developer's word for it: Soren Johnson's Playing To Lose AI Talk.

As I recall, the summary of when it makes sense to have realistic AI from his talk is basically 'when the AI is acting as substitute for a human player' in PVP-focused games like Starcraft or Chess.  (Though certainly an argument could be made that much of Starcraft's focus in SC2 has been PVE, and in those situations the AI deliberately doesn't play 'realistically' but instead plays in a way which presents interesting challenges and choices to players.)

The primary failing of MMORPG difficulty design is a lack of difficulty slider.  Anyone implying that a MMORPG should be universally challenging (ie it should lack easy encounters) is simply wrong, because that excludes the vast majority of unskilled players from enjoying the game.  Instead, you implement a difficulty (or game mechanics which achieve the same thing) which lets every player seek their own perfect sweet spot between boredom (too easy) and frustration (too hard).  The higher the difficulty, the greater the reward.  But that difficulty would be achieved through the timing and threat of mob abilities (shorter margins of error, and more frequent skill-checks) rather than through mob AI.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

edited August 2016
    For me, i like gw2 concept. more class but only can tank, only can heal is boring. i want versatile 

Moreover, yes i agree, the difficult setting must be reasonable.

too easy, people get boring, too hard people will rage quit.

I want to create a leveling system that is challenging in solo and group.

solo player will usually will solo leveling (if no player around) on the area where monsters is same level as he is.

example, A is level 1, he leveling solo at level 1 area, full with level 1 mobs.

streotype mmo = mobs will spawn alone, waiting to be slaughter by player

my new ideas = mobs has 20% chance to spawn solo, 2 , 3 , 4 or 5..............mobs also more alert of their surrounding.....not just that, mobs like bandits, no just standing doing nothing, they do their own things. example, some bandit were chatting wth others, some will patroling, some will sitting, cooking, if you come at night some will sleeping...............

remember this is not stereotype older mmorpg, where poporing, roda frog, lunatic will wander endlessly....bandit is intelligent creature, they have many race, it will random, like human, orc , elf, etc...they will do what normal human do (for immersion)....and at the place they spawn will have bandit camp, they will hunt rabbits, dear if not fighting players

For player that leveling in group, example 5 players, all level 2.....they can try leveling at level 3 area..more exp with more thrill