Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Man fatally shot playing Pokemon Go in San Francisco

LleithLleith Member UncommonPosts: 126
edited August 2016 in Pokemon Go
Condolences to his family. However, I've felt all along like this was pretty much inevitable, and now it has happened. While this incident seems unprovoked, what cannot be overlooked is that many (if not most) people totally surrender their situational awareness and everyday rationale (they go places they shouldn't be; overlook dangers they might otherwise have seen) while playing this game, and now we have a fatality.

Link to the article.

Comments

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Sounds like someone caught a pokemon he wanted and he got fatal revenge? 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    But people get shot everyday who aren't playing it.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Yeah but if u read this article there was no confrontation or anything just walked up shot him in the back and left no theft of property nothing.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Kinda figured this would eventually happen. There have been many reports of people shooting at others around their houses because they think people playing pokemon go are casing their houses to rob them.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    So the news is that someone doing something had something else apparently unrelated happen to them?

I can understand the point that there are many people with poor reasoning skills and Pokemon Go has put a spotlight on this poorly handled element of our behavior, but drawing what is apparently nonexistent parallels really does no good in proving any sort of point.

This is more of a social problem than it is a problem with Pokemon Go. If Niantic has to be the responsible ones in it's in entirety and cut out entire sections of the map that users should be able to tell in real life is a location they should not go, then that's a problem with the education of our population as much as it is anything else.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Sounds more like just another random act of senseless violence (and the victim simply happened to be playing Pokemon GO at the time)... either that or someone is taking protecting their gym way too seriously.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Seems a bit asinine to blame situational awareness on someone coming up behind someone else and shooting them. People falling off cliffs or wandering onto someone's property sure, but not this. I hope they are able to find this person somehow and make an example of them.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Seems like a very strange situation and entirely unrelated to Pokemon Go as he was just shot in a public place. Unless it turns out the other dude was competing for the gym, I'm guessing no connection.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    I suspect the shooter felt these Pokemon Go players had invaded his/their turf, and was defending/reclaiming it.  There was no confrontation, or theft.  That would mean the killer had some other reason to kill the victim.  They either knew the victim, and planned to kill him.  Or they didn't know the victim and decided there on the spot.  It may have been gang related.

Either way, no one should be killed like this.  No one should let down their villagence.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Lleith said:
    Condolences to his family. However, I've felt all along like this was pretty much inevitable, and now it has happened. While this incident seems unprovoked, what cannot be overlooked is that many (if not most) people totally surrender their situational awareness and everyday rationale (they go places they shouldn't be; overlook dangers they might otherwise have seen) while playing this game, and now we have a fatality.

Link to the article.
    You post this like this is the first time someone is shot due to pokemon go?  In the other thread about pokemon go there an article linked atleast twice about a 67 year old granny that shot a 15 year old fataly because he tried going into her kitchen during late evening/nighttime to catch one since it wasn't working from her porch.

It wasn't inevitable it had already happened when you mentioned this as a concern previously.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited August 2016
    Watching tv, playing games, taking a walk, can kill ppl, everything in life can kill ppl. 

Most of those "weird"things happen in america tho. 

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    All these "pokemon go players shot" incident are coming from a country where even buying an automatic rifle is like buying candy from a store but of course there is no relation to high availability of guns have nothing to do with the shooting!! No sir!! you are totally wrong if you think having guns available to people makes them want to shoot people!! No sir!! It is the fault of people who are getting shot!!

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

edited August 2016
    All these "pokemon go players shot" incident are coming from a country where even buying an automatic rifle is like buying candy from a store but of course there is no relation to high availability of guns have nothing to do with the shooting!! No sir!! you are totally wrong if you think having guns available to people makes them want to shoot people!! No sir!! It is the fault of people who are getting shot!!
    Well, while I do think gun control does need quite a lot of improvement, it kind of is the fault of the person being shot in at least some of the incidents, such as the kid breaking into a house just to catch pokemon.

It's basically a universal lack of common sense being displayed. Irresponsible people happen to be playing the game and they are doing irresponsible things as a consequence. On the flip-side, there are people doing apparently perfectly innocent things and also being victimized, and at that point it's not about the game but about the irresponsibility of those enabling unnecessary violence.

In other words the game is a very minor problem either direction, it is simply the means to highlighting a much deeper and bigger set of problems.

So...I kinda agree, but be careful about making blanket statements because it's not like everyone being hurt is entirely innocent in their behavior. Responsibility needs to be taken all around.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Deivos said:
    Well, while I do think gun control does need quite a lot of improvement, it kind of is the fault of the person being shot in at least some of the incidents, such as the kid breaking into a house just to catch pokemon.

It's basically a universal lack of common sense being displayed. Irresponsible people happen to be playing the game and they are doing irresponsible things as a consequence. On the flip-side, there are people doing apparently perfectly innocent things and also being victimized, and at that point it's not about the game but about the irresponsibility of those enabling unnecessary violence.

In other words the game is a very minor problem either direction, it is simply the means to highlighting a much deeper and bigger set of problems.

So...I kinda agree, but be careful about making blanket statements because it's not like everyone being hurt is entirely innocent in their behavior. Responsibility needs to be taken all around.
    The kid that "broke into house" actually climbed the wooden fence around the premise and asked the owner if they could let them play in their backyard....yep...BIG CRIME WORTHY OF GETTING SHOT!! Where did the time go when kids could play in the only backyard of a block which was heavily fenced by owner and get yelled at by the owner but never got shot for it? I guess in progressive world there is no place for such heavy crimes!!

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

edited August 2016
    Deivos said:

The kid that "broke into house" actually climbed the wooden fence around the premise and asked the owner if they could let them play in their backyard....yep...BIG CRIME WORTHY OF GETTING SHOT!! Where did the time go when kids could play in the only backyard of a block which was heavily fenced by owner and get yelled at by the owner but never got shot for it? I guess in progressive world there is no place for such heavy crimes!!
    The context I was given in this thread was " he tried going into her kitchen during late evening/nighttime" not "asking to play in the yard".

That's a very different circumstance you are arguing over.

There is a big difference between asking to play in a yard and breaking and entering someone's household at night.

Deivos said:
    Deivos said:

The context I was given in this thread was " he tried going into her kitchen during late evening/nighttime" not "asking to play in the yard".

There is a big difference between asking to play in a yard and breaking and entering someone's household at night.
    Ohh that one!! They were no kids!! They were bunch of drunk highschool seniors or something like that i read. They deserved to get shot in their balls!!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited August 2016
    Hyperbole at it's finest.

"All of these" equals several?

Purchasing "automatic" rifles is extremely hard to do everywhere in the US and impossible in some states.

A local woman came home in a box last week after being knifed to death in the UK while on vacation. Likely however her killer would have preferred a firearm.

But back on topic. Any activity that encourages you to go outside increases your risk of dying. The car ride to the wharf district was statistically more dangerous.

Being there late at night increased the risk, being alone from the crowd, more risk, not carrying your own firearm, more risk still.

Point is, everything carrys a risk and sometimes you are going to draw the short straw. Can't blame PGO for giving people a reason to go outdoors where they can, and have been hit by cars, fallen off cliffs, robbed and now killed. 

Stuff happens, yet the number of incidents per million remains low.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited August 2016
    Deivos said:
    Deivos said:

Ohh that one!! They were no kids!! They were bunch of drunk highschool seniors or something like that i read. They deserved to get shot in their balls!!
    It was a 15 year old boy so yes a "kid", also pretty stupid to say he deserved to be shot and killed for making one stupid decision. 

You seem to forget the fact that the person shooting was an old 67 year old widow that probably thought he was a burglar and now has to live with the awful fact she killed a boy that meant no harm.

I am all for people both younger and older taking more responsibility for their actions but common sense needs to be applied rather than bald face statements to try and prove how "mature" you or how tough you are.

Dunno but seems to me as an older man we didn't have so many problems because of the simple fact we all didn't get upset and bent out of shape like we do today.

Raiding a neighbors garden was pretty standard back in the day and worse that happened is you got a butt warming from an adult but nowadays your likely to get shot and told bah you deserved it.  Go figure.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    The Blood Thirsty chasing the almight dollar News media has created a shoot first ask questions later society where a random kid jumping in your back yard suddenly becomes a stand your ground shoot first prep for questions later. its not the gun or game. It's the minds of the people not thinking first everytime.
  • AluminaraAluminara Member UncommonPosts: 21
    The tragic accident :/ Life is life

Cradle of Magic - unique 3-in-1 mmogame - help us at kickstarter. THX!
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Kyleran said:
    Being there late at night increased the risk, being alone from the crowd, more risk, not carrying your own firearm, more risk still.
    Actually carrying your own firearm increases your risk.

Cases where a firearm is successfully used for self protection are very rare. Cases where victim's firearm escalates the situation to the point of victim being killed are much more common.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2013/mar/25/guns-protection-national-rifle-association

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Pokemon Go has this issue that leads people that sometimes to dangerous places, or private lands where the person would be greeted with force. They should take measures to attempt to reduce the growing number of situations like this, not specifically this one that seems a random act of violence.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    http://www.snopes.com/15-year-old-killed-trespassing-while-playing-pokemon-go/

http://www.inquisitr.com/3300730/pokemon-go-death-was-a-teen-fatally-shot-after-entering-neighbors-home-to-catch-rare-pokemon/

http://www.gq.com/story/surprise-most-pokemon-go-stories-are-hoaxes

http://www.thatsfake.com/15-year-old-teen-killed-trespassing-playing-pokemon-go-hoax/

Okay, is that enough links to finally catch everyones' attention on that stupid FAKE FAKE

FAAAAAAAKE

FAKE

FAKE FAKE FAKE

story about the 15 year old being shot?

As for this story, people take naps or talk to each other or talk on their cell phones or have a barbeque all the time.  Constant vigilance?  In a friggin' public park?  But I guess this is totally Pokemon Go's fault here and worthy of connecting to it, huh?  Cause like, there totally aren't a ton of other gang-related shootings that have nothing to do with Pokemon Go so we need to point this one where a guy got shot in the back in a public park as "Oh noes!  Bad Pokemon Go!!!"

http://www.fox4news.com/news/191431245-story
    http://abc7.com/news/1-dead-2-wounded-in-watts-gang-related-shooting/1456815/

(or maybe sometimes they're just refilling gas instead of playing Pokemon Go.  Ban gas stations!)

https://www.google.com/#q=gang+related+shooting&tbm=nws

(if you have enough time to go look up Pokemon Go shootings, I'm sure you have enough time to look up the hundreds of other shootings that happen due to peoples' lack of "constant vigilance" from other activities every year, too!  Here, I'll even help you with this link!)