Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of returning, some questions

rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693
I haven't played much since I bought the box game when it was pay to play in late 2014

I know the game went free to play and had a few expansions.

Just was wondering if my account would have any perks if I returned.

Like free dlc's? more slots somewhere for something etc?

Comments

• kolpokolpo Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited August 2016
    This game is only free to play after you buy the game, everyone who plays this game has bought the game. Like diablo 3 or original guild wars 2.

Edit: forgot to mention, you can currently buy crowns at half price at eso website. Those can be used to buy DLC.
    Post edited by kolpo on
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I haven't played much since I bought the box game when it was pay to play in late 2014

When it went buy to play a year and a half ago, everyone who had subbed prior to that got some crowns proportionate to how many months they subbed - you'll have that.

As to DLCs... there's going to be a "Gold Edition" of the game sold starting September 9th that will include the base game and the first 4 DLCs for $69. You obviously don't need that since you already have the game but when that happens those 4 DLCs will be bundled and discounted... wait for that if you want to get them.

You can also have full access to all DLC if you go for the optional "ESO +" sub any time you're subbed. If you do they added a very nice perk a couple of months back that is for ESO + only: bottomless account-wide crafting bag where all your mats go which frees up room in your inventory and bank.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    i would suggest to anyone that is interested in crating while playing ESO......just sub. just as iselin said, you get that bottomless crafting bag which is a game changer as well as all the DLC and a 10% xp boost across the board.

not to mention the 1500 crowns you get from subbing as well. it is really a no brainer unless you play ultra casual and/or don't plan to craft or gather materials much.
  • Dkzero80Dkzero80 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Hey, I'm not able to create a post.  Could someone please tell me if ESO is a solo based game or does it focus more around group play?  I'm on the fence to buy it, but I'm not interested in another solo-focused mmorpg.  Looking for something that is heavily based around group play, communication, and socializing.  Even if it's just easy to find a guild that would be cool too. 

Any info regarding this would be greatly appreciated, thank you. 
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Dkzero80 said:
    Hey, I'm not able to create a post.  Could someone please tell me if ESO is a solo based game or does it focus more around group play?  I'm on the fence to buy it, but I'm not interested in another solo-focused mmorpg.  Looking for something that is heavily based around group play, communication, and socializing.  Even if it's just easy to find a guild that would be cool too. 

there is group focused content but the majority is solo.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Any recommended addons?
  • HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Albatroes said:
    Any recommended addons?
    For sure a fix for the vanilla UI like this:

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info818-LuiExtended.html

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Dkzero80 said:

ESO has a lot of content. Its a huge game. And there are different types of content.

ESO is not "a solo focused mmo". That is not to say ESO does not have "solo content". The difference is it plays as "solo content" it is not "pretending" to be mmo content. Most of it plays out when there are other people around so it plays out "in a co-op setting".  

ESO also has true "co-op" content. Content which - on level - you need help with. This includes public dungeons, realm vs. realm play (a form of group PvP), a pvp enabled area - so could be solo could be group and multiple "events" in all the zones that are designed for multiple people. Including max level stuff. 

ESO also plays as a group game with 4 player dungeons and trials. And there are a lot of these as well.

And the way characters progress mean that characters eventually have to do it all if they want to reach their full potential: solo, co-op and dungeons. 

Socializing comes down to finding friends or guild(s) that you are happy with. Hit and miss.

So I am not sure its for you. It does have "solo content" but its not "pretend solo mmorpg stuff"; if you bought it as a "solo game" you wouldn't be disappointed as it has months and months of content and you will probably get bored and take a rest before you finish it all. It also has challenging group content though. And this will take you a long time to complete as well.

edited August 2016

As @iselin said you will get crowns added to your account based on how long you subbed for. Think the minimum was 500 for those that simply bought the game with the 30 days and didn't sub beyond that. If you log into your account or the game you will see what you have.

DLC costs from memory: Imperial City 2,500, Orsinium 3,000, Dark Brotherhood 2,500, Thieves Guild 2,000, Hist 1,500. So 11, 000 for them all. They are all stand alone.

Crowns can be bought in lots of 1,500, 3,000 or 5,500; cheaper bought in bulk and - as mentioned above - there is currently a 50% off sale. 

They have been aiming for quarterly DLC.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • MareliusMarelius Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Best way to play the game is just sub and then use crowns you get in long run to buy stuff you are interested in. The sub will take care of all DLC's plus crafting bag is really a big plus to playing the game. Other than a mount or pet I just let my crowns add up over the months. Making gold in game is super easy, in a month not playing everyday you can go way over 100k easy. 
    Sometimes it's not always about what you can see or hear but what's under the hood of a game that's most impressive. Between those thousands and thousands of lines of code, magic happens. Sometimes the most amazing feats of gaming wizardry happen without you even noticing.

Rob Manuel

• AluminaraAluminara Member UncommonPosts: 21
    My q: is game locations larger than Skyrim locations summary?

Cradle of Magic - unique 3-in-1 mmogame - help us at kickstarter. THX!
    Aluminara said:
    My q: is game locations larger than Skyrim locations summary?
    If you are asking about simple area then - in crude terms - Skyrim is about the same size as that for 1 alliance. There are 3 alliances. In addition there other areas. Fortunately there are way shrines for "fast travel".  And its not empty land - there are at least as many quests in an area as there are in Skyrim.  
    Sad part is lag is back full force after last patch. I will let my free 30 day sub expire and unless they come to me again and say buy 1 month we will give you month free, can't see wasting more money on a really broken game. 
    Sometimes it's not always about what you can see or hear but what's under the hood of a game that's most impressive. Between those thousands and thousands of lines of code, magic happens. Sometimes the most amazing feats of gaming wizardry happen without you even noticing.

Rob Manuel

Marelius said:
    Sad part is lag is back full force after last patch. I will let my free 30 day sub expire and unless they come to me again and say buy 1 month we will give you month free, can't see wasting more money on a really broken game. 
    In case anyone is reading who might be thinking of buying the game: ESO is buy to play; no sub needed. Nor do you get 30 days "free" if you buy the box (presumably Marelius got a "free" 30 day optional sub). There is an optional sub that provides some QoL and - currently - access to all 5 DLCs; in September that will change when the Gold Edition launches which will include the first 4 DLCs. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's a beautiful game and fun to play.  Problems are every expansion breaks the game and I can't get past the fact that respects aren't free like in most games.  Nice that you can use any weapon and CP go to every character.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

<snip> respecs aren't free like in most games. <snip>
    It is "free" in the sense it doesn't need any real money. It does require in-game gold. I liked CoH's idea of having to do a (group) mission to get a respec.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    gervaise1 said:
    It is "free" in the sense it doesn't need any real money. It does require in-game gold. I liked CoH's idea of having to do a (group) mission to get a respec.
    Understood.  I've gotten use to respecting on the fly as long as I'm not in combat.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    gervaise1 said:
    Understood.  I've gotten use to respecting on the fly as long as I'm not in combat.
    Yeah I don't really understand the thinking behind putting obstacles to re-specs - especially in a game like ESO where you can change roles and which skills you put on your bars whenever you're not in combat.

It just seems like legacy thinking from back in the early days of RPGs when choices were forever and you couldn't change your mind... makes little sense in a game like ESO though where you can level all kinds of optional skill lines and mix and match them any way you want.

At least they made re-speccing morphs only a thing since that's the main thing you usually want to change.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I won't be playing until I can actually play endgame content as a ranged stamina build.  If you want to use a bow don't bother unless you want to also use melee weapons to be viable.
    gervaise1 said:
    Marelius said:
    In case anyone is reading who might be thinking of buying the game: ESO is buy to play; no sub needed. Nor do you get 30 days "free" if you buy the box (presumably Marelius got a "free" 30 day optional sub). There is an optional sub that provides some QoL and - currently - access to all 5 DLCs; in September that will change when the Gold Edition launches which will include the first 4 DLCs. 
    Yep two months ago I canceled my sub, some pr guy emailed me and gave me a deal, sign up for 30 we will give you 30 free. Deal I couldn't pass up. 

Sub is the only way to go with this game. With sub you get crafting bag so you don't need to keep running back to bank. Yet they keep adding dlc's and create more bugs and you still need to deal with old bugs from beta. They really need to take few months off and just concentrate on the bugs. But they are too greedy and don't care about the players. Well the way they don't care about bugs and ignore most of the threads on official forums you do get feeling they could careless about us. 

Rob Manuel