Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game On #87 - Is No Man's Sky a Disappointment? - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Polygon - 6/10 "No Man's Sky is an impressive set of tools grafted onto a game with very little going on"

I really love the whole genre of walking simulators.  What irks me is how the lead dev lied about multiplayer.  Sure, maybe he didn't know... however, he could have said that.  Two players standing in the exact same spot in a universe of "18 quintillion planets" and discovering they couldn't see each other is not the way to find out the game has no multiplayer.  Yes... it was strongly implied that two players could find and see each other (although very improbable).  No... seeing features that other players have named isn't multiplayer.

I'd love to be able to approach this game on the merits of the game alone, but before I throw money the way of the devs unfortunately I will always have this in the back of my mind unless something is done in terms of correction.  That's just the way I am.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Whatever happened to researching a game yourself and coming to your own conclusion (either purchasing it or passing on it). Hating on a game because you don't like it is valid, but trying to convey that opinion as a reason why others shouldn't play it or how the company did something against you is just wrong.

First off I never get caught in the hype, and this is a perfect example. I didn't hear of this game until a few days ago (when I think it launched). I will admit it was hard to determine what type of game it was but a few factors 1. indie development 2. large scope 3. on-going development essentially told me this might be something I could enjoy but probably not at launch since the mature content I envision wouldn't be available until later on in the cycle.

Meaning for 60 dollars its not worth it to me today, but I will follow the development and when certain features mature or new ones I'm interested in added I will probably pick it up and give it a try. And if I end up not ultimately liking it, supporting a dev with 60 dollars isn't going to break me and is a good investment. Which I believe in the process to get better games. I don't see how complaining helps.

Okay, so, it just came to my attention that the DigitalSpy article I linked to in my above post has been revised with little indication.  By checking the Wayback Machine, here is what was listed under "4. Will I Meet Other Players?" as recently as July 19th, 2016:

"developer Hello Games has revealed that other players will look different from anything else in the game – especially if you spot them walking on a planet. 

'You effectively see their suit, actually,' said Murray. 'So you won't know what's inside. It still won't answer for people whether you are an alien or whether you are a human or what you look like.'"

Compare this to the article as presently published.

This gives me seriously bad vibes.  It's rarely a good sign when press backpedals, revising statements a dev made in order to retcon things.  This has nothing to do with the quality of the current game, which I'm sure is a great experience.  It's just some serious negative juju.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited August 2016
    Oh come on, the game was over-hyped to the max and the content was quite obviously misrepresented by the development staff.  It deserves the negativity it got, every bit of it.

Nothing wrong with having fun in the game, but it won't take you long to realize that there just is not that much to do in the game.  It is quite shallow and if that is something you enjoy fine, have at it, but that was not what many people who bought the game were expecting.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    If you believe all the hype you will be disappointed. I'm enjoying the game.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

psiic said:

I really wish people would stop with the negativity and stop judging the game on what its not, and start judging on what it is. I am loving the game and am not alone.  I've been playing almost non stop since midnight on the 8th and am barely scratching the surface of the game so people that play it maybe an hour and feel they are qualified to pass any kind of judgement on the game are total and complete ignorant assholes. I can assure you I have more hours in game than any of the people reviewing this game and I am still finding new and interesting things every few hours. Maybe in a year or so I will feel qualified to actually review this game for its true value, but what I know for sure is that NONE of you will ever be qualified. 

I'll just leave this here then.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y4i3a/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_front_page/
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    edited August 2016

psiic said:

I really wish people would stop with the negativity and stop judging the game on what its not, and start judging on what it is. I am loving the game and am not alone.  I've been playing almost non stop since midnight on the 8th and am barely scratching the surface of the game so people that play it maybe an hour and feel they are qualified to pass any kind of judgement on the game are total and complete ignorant assholes. I can assure you I have more hours in game than any of the people reviewing this game and I am still finding new and interesting things every few hours. Maybe in a year or so I will feel qualified to actually review this game for its true value, but what I know for sure is that NONE of you will ever be qualified. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y4i3a/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_front_page/
    Funny thing about that Reddit... around half of it is flat out wrong or only half truths. Along with the several edits that had to be made and noted that he was proven wrong on and that do exist in the game (some ridiculously obvious ones like his claims that planet scanning isnt in the game, when it takes all of 5-10 seconds to actually fly up above a planet and test it yourself), Ive seen several other things myself while playing that he lists.

You see the problem with the author is that, judging by how many things he is wrong about, he seems to not even play the game and is seemingly relying purely on youtube videos and invalidated claims from others that certain things do not exist.

To be fair, yes there is quite a bit "missing" from the game (though several of those things as well seem to be there but just not working quite properly, likely to be corrected in upcoming patches), but it is nowhere near as extreme as he is making it out to be. Along with that, several of the things he lists are simply a matter of not having been discovered yet (he claimed bugs / butterflies werent in the game just because he hadnt seen them yet, but they just happened to not be on the planets he had seen so far).

Are there things missing? Sure. Are there some half implemented / broken things? Sure. Did a lot of people assume things about the game and create their own fantasies of what it would be based on nothing more than a few trailers and vague comments by the devs? Definitely. Are these claims of "OMG they scammed us and only gave us 25% of what was promised to us" true? Not even close.

For me personally, one of the biggest letdowns, which they were right about in the Reddit post, was the lack of a wide variety of resources and deep crafting.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    edited August 2016
    When I grow up I want to be a Gek that manages a bar on space station.  :) 

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Stapling together every instance of anything that the devs discussed over years and then screaming betrayal and lies is pretty bizarre and over-the-top.  Given that the worlds are generated procedurally, it's also pretty odd to claim that things aren't in the game when they could simply be rare or you just may not have seen them.  These two trends alone make me pretty damn suspicious of gotcha threads like that.

I'm waiting for a stable game with good controls, which is why I don't preorder in general and why I wait for reviews before buying.  This looks like the sort of game that I'd have a blast in.  And "worth 60 dollars" depends quite a bit on your personal circumstances - any game of this sort that's decent gives me plenty of hours of enjoyment, and it's worth the money to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    SEANMCAD said:
    psiic said:
    one of the things that bothers me the most about NMS fans is a hyper continuous focus on explaining what this game 'is not' while rarely ever saying what 'it is' and the fact that they are not aware that they are doing it nor to the extent that they are. 'is not' is not a very good sell for a game
    Well Sean I've tried and nobody listens, so why waste my time when I could be playing instead. 

I will tell you that everyone complaining about multiplayer are assholes. I have run into two other players on the PS4, granted none yet on the PC yet but trying to coordinate with the girl whose system I am currently in.

However take into account I have over 150 hours now on PS4 play and can now jump 5 systems at a time so I can get around. 

Most of the people complaining no multiplayer are not even off their starting planet if they even own the game  before they are raging. 

People complain about creatures not moving in herds, again total bullshit. Some animals do move in herds or packs depending on their traits and characteristics and planet lifeform density.

I have walked into herds of grazers that all scatter, and herds that are curious and follow me around, packs of predators that stalk me and try and ambush me from behind and packs that swarm me.

I've gotten into insane space battles against overwhelming odds that lasted for over an hour ducking and dodging around the big merchant cruisers while fighting off pirate fighters.

Frankly Sean just take any of the negative reviews out there on the game and all the things they claim the game does not have, flip it around 180 degress add every feature they are claiming is not there after playing their 30 minutes if even, and that is the NMS I am playing 150 hours in.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    psiic said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    psiic said:
    one of the things that bothers me the most about NMS fans is a hyper continuous focus on explaining what this game 'is not' while rarely ever saying what 'it is' and the fact that they are not aware that they are doing it nor to the extent that they are. 'is not' is not a very good sell for a game
    Well Sean I've tried and nobody listens, so why waste my time when I could be playing instead. 

I will tell you that everyone complaining about multiplayer are assholes. I have run into two other players on the PS4, granted none yet on the PC yet but trying to coordinate with the girl whose system I am currently in.

However take into account I have over 150 hours now on PS4 play and can now jump 5 systems at a time so I can get around. 

Most of the people complaining no multiplayer are not even off their starting planet if they even own the game  before they are raging. 

People complain about creatures not moving in herds, again total bullshit. Some animals do move in herds or packs depending on their traits and characteristics and planet lifeform density.

I have walked into herds of grazers that all scatter, and herds that are curious and follow me around, packs of predators that stalk me and try and ambush me from behind and packs that swarm me.

I've gotten into insane space battles against overwhelming odds that lasted for over an hour ducking and dodging around the big merchant cruisers while fighting off pirate fighters.

Frankly Sean just take any of the negative reviews out there on the game and all the things they claim the game does not have, flip it around 180 degress add every feature they are claiming is not there after playing their 30 minutes if even, and that is the NMS I am playing 150 hours in.

I agree with you psiic, just because they haven't seen it doesn't mean its not in game.  I've come across planets with large herds of animals moving about nomming grass.  When you approach they tend to scatter though...like this one.  I'm actually in the middle of a herd of these things - which was over 20+ in size. 

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    There ARE some great planets out there. Billions of them, guys, most will probably suck. But the Unicorns? Worth the trip:

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    About 30 mins ago I got killed by a swarm of man eating gerbils I do not lie... so little I couldnt get the hit box on them even with grenade rapid fire. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    edited August 2016
    I´m actually loving it.
    It does feel like it´s half baked though. I bet they will be adding A LOT of new features in the coming months.
    I´m still enjoying it for what it is at the moment anyway.
    Found amazing planets like this one!

• Elysion28Elysion28 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited August 2016
    1. Not worth the price
    2. 300K ++ buyer and then more than half refund
    3. 200K ++ users playing & not even a week now only 20K-45K users playing
    Either wait fix update or wait the sale season for it.
  • timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    edited August 2016
    Bought it. Tried to play it with my HD 6970. Didn't work and kept crashing. Realised the minimum requirement is HD 7XXX series. Got pissed and ordered a GTX 1080 which i've been drooling over since they announced it but i was too cheap to buy it. Thanx No Man's Sky! Can't wait to play it.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Elysion28 said:
    1. Not worth the price
    2. 300K ++ buyer and then more than half refund
    3. 200K ++ users playing & not even a week now only 20K-45K users playing
    Either wait fix update or wait the sale season for it.
    To you.

Like I've said for a while now, its not for everyone. Some people are just going to find exploring planets of different colors, weathers with animals of different configurations.... boring.

Others will find it to be a lot of fun.

Honestly, I was sort of wondering why a game of almost pure exploration was so hyped. Apparently it was because a lot of people were expecting something else.

Stizzled said:

psiic said:

I find it funny that the biggest question on a lot of people's minds, right up to release, was "Just what's in this game, what do you do?" 

Yet, now that the game has been out for a week people are so confident in exactly what was supposed to be in the game they have made these giant lists of what's missing.

Game developers talk a lot pre-release about features, sometimes major ones, that ultimately get scaled way back or disappear entirely. This is nothing new. The lack of communication on the issue is directly related to the size of the team behind the game. I doubt PR is their biggest concern at the moment, fixing what's broken is.

All this kicking and screaming is coming from the absolutely huge group of "fans" who convinced themselves that this game was far more than the developer ever showed. Now they've all had a big helping of reality and they're pissed off and looking for any fault they can to tear the game down. Of course those who never had any interest in the game are more than happy to jump on the hate-wagon as well. 

It's all pretty pathetic, but exactly what I figured would happen. 
    Your first two paragraphs speak to two different groups of people, imo.  There was plenty of info given out by the devs, repeatedly, during interviews.  People asking "what do you do" probably were not in NMS' target market to begin with.

I always 'got the idea' behind this game: it's right up my alley as I've stated elsewhere.  The issue I'm bringing up is something entirely different: it's about PR messages versus reality.

It's not about being "so confident in exactly what was supposed to be in the game"; it's about a message presented by the devs, over and over across a period of months leading up to release, and on "day 1" of release that message did not line up with reality at all w.r.t. multiplayer (and other things too, apparently, if you pore over that Reddit thread).

Your last two paragraphs are a collection of snarl words which look like they belong in a whitewashing campaign.  This isn't doing the game any favors.

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited August 2016
    My goal is still there some where in Universe across 18 quntilion planets  to find some penis looking creatures ))))) And other weird shit
    psiic said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    psiic said:

@psiic I think you are being dishonest.  Running into features that two other players have named is not the same as "run[ning] into two other players".

More evidence of a concerted whitewashing effort, imo.

If you want evidence of how this game's playerbase was misled, look no farther than @Fish_Tacos thread in our very own No Man's Sky subforum.  On the day of release, he thoughtfully started a thread for people to post "Other player sightings".

This was mere hours before two players streaming live via Twitch found themselves standing in the very same spot, and discovered they were invisible to one another.

• ThexReporterThexReporter Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I'm enjoying it, and  that's all that matters to me.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    JeroKane said:
    SEANMCAD said:

yes I am very serious. 

I have no idea how much they spent or where the money came from but I repeat

1. there has been more articles in gaming publications written about this game then all those others.
    2. there has been more articles is non-gaming publications written about this game then likely  all those games COMBINED.
    4. none of those games had interviews on TV shows. multiple TV shows I might add
    I have not seen a single TV show mentioning NMS. Not a single TV add. Not a single Magazine add. Not a single poster. Nothing! Other than here and there on the internet.
    If I had not been following this site and some others, I wouldn't even have known about this game until last week when it launched and seen the PS4 box on the shelf.

On the other hand:
    Both SW:TOR and Destiny where everywhere! Litterally everywhere! Same with Blizzard's games! or any CoD or BF game for that matter.

- TV adds
    - Trailers in cinema
    - Posters everywhere
    - Plenty of coverage in non-gaming Magazines. Forbes and other similar sites have been covering games for years now! Open your eyes a bit more perhaps? NMS is definitely not the only one.
    Forbes has been covering an insane amount of articles on Destiny the last couple years! And before that on SW:TOR and other games.

You must have had severe tunnel vision syndrome or suffer from amnesia if you cannot remember the insane marketing campaigns behind these games.

And then I haven't even mentioned Mass Effect 3 or Skyrim.
    you're wrong in terms of hype - not advertisements but hype.

NMS is in a league of its own in terms of how much free hype it was given by others without any investment in the game.