Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR Ready Gaming Notebooks Will Start at $1,300 with NVIDIA 10-Series GPUs

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The 1070m maybe, the 1060m not a chance. NVidia tends to perform worse in VR, and the 1060m does not meet the recommended specs for Vive or Rift.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Cleffy said:
    The 1070m maybe, the 1060m not a chance. NVidia tends to perform worse in VR, and the 1060m does not meet the recommended specs for Vive or Rift.
    any thing above a GTX 970 is above the recommended specs for Rift

Yes, but not the 970m. Mobile chips always perform worse than their desktop counterpart.
    edited August 2016
    Cleffy said:
    Yes, but not the 970m. Mobile chips always perform worse than their desktop counterpart.

ok that is a completely random statement and has no bases on the conversation. 

Is the 1060m VR ready? yes because its greater than a GTX970ti is it not? I am more than happy if you show evidence that this statement is incorrect. best I can tell your original statement is flat out false

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Ooh, I didn't fully read the article. They perform within 10% of their desktop counterpart and has a TDP similar to the gtx 970m. I read that as performance similar to the gtx 970m.
    Cleffy said:
    Ooh, I didn't fully read the article. They perform within 10% of their desktop counterpart and has a TDP similar to the gtx 970m. I read that as performance similar to the gtx 970m.
    just as an FYI generally speaking if an article is titled as this one is its more likely that it does fit the min. requirements of the Rift more so then there is a chance that it doesnt

In tech news? Usually they make click bait titles.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    edited August 2016
    For both of those people who are really into VR and want to use a laptop for it?  They might make fine higher end gaming laptops, but I wouldn't see VR ready as being a selling point in itself.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    It's so when you trip over the end table because your tangled in all the cables, you can pull the laptop off the end table that you tripped on and ruin it as well.
  • fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    Can put your laptop in your backpack for mobile VR  :p
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    naami said:
    Can put your laptop in your backpack for mobile VR  :p
    makes the cables that much shorter, and probably won't trip on them!

Seems like that's been done before though.
    Quizzical said:
    For both of those people who are really into VR and want to use a laptop for it?  They might make fine higher end gaming laptops, but I wouldn't see VR ready as being a selling point in itself.
    laptop for VR is not attractive in my view, yeah one can go the whole backpack rout but think not so muc

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    New benchmarks have shown that m1060 is 20-25% slower than desktop 1060. The only "m" that might perform close to desktop version is m1070 because it has more cuda cores than desktop 1070, but that means 150W power consumption so you need to be plugged into wall socket to use it.

Anyone that thinks that m1060 perforns same as desktop 1060 while consuming 66% power of desktop 1060 needs to have their head checked lol
    edited August 2016
    Malabooga said:
    New benchmarks have shown that m1060 is 20-25% slower than desktop 1060. The only "m" that might perform close to desktop version is m1070 because it has more cuda cores than desktop 1070, but that means 150W power consumption so you need to be plugged into wall socket to use it.

Anyone that thinks that m1060 perforns same as desktop 1060 while consuming 66% power of desktop 1060 needs to have their head checked lol
    i dont think anyone is saying that or implying that. maybe I am missing something.

just to be clear (although I am likely confused) any card greater than a GTX970ti qualifies as VR ready. Including ALL cards from this current generation

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    SEANMCAD said:
    Malabooga said:

i dont think anyone is saying that or implying that. maybe I am missing something.

just to be clear (although I am likely confused) any card greater than a GTX970ti qualifies as VR ready. Including ALL cards from this current generation
    So to be VR-ready, all you need is to be faster than a card that doesn't exist?

Also, a Radeon RX 460 isn't faster than a GTX 970.  It's probably not even half as fast as a GTX 970, so it's definitely not what you'd want for VR.  It's cheap, though.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited August 2016
    Other problem to consider with VR on laptops is how the graphics card is bridged into the rest of the system. Any laptop using Optimus to bridge the GPU for example doesn't work with VR. A "VR ready" laptop then means that it needs to not only have the highest-end of the mobile GPUs, but also that the GPU has to be uninterrupted by any extra drivers meant to allow for low-power operation.

Side issue being that if it runs graphics on low power through the CPU and only turns the GPU on for specific occasions, it doesn't recognize the GPU properly unless you get fiddly and tell the system which processors to run stuff on.

That said, did get the Razer Blade and Razer Core (stuck a 1080 in the core) a while back to specifically use for VR. It's a relatively nifty setup.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

edited August 2016
    Quizzical said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Malabooga said:

So to be VR-ready, all you need is to be faster than a card that doesn't exist?

Also, a Radeon RX 460 isn't faster than a GTX 970.  It's probably not even half as fast as a GTX 970, so it's definitely not what you'd want for VR.  It's cheap, though.
    The requirements for the Oculus Rift is a GTX 970  or better (not ti, correction made). I havent said anything nor know anything about Radeon cards I am sorry.

thanks for your help

Video Card NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD R9 290 equivalent or greater

CPU Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater

Memory 8GB+ RAM

Video Output Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output

USB Ports 3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port

OS Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer

https://www3.oculus.com/en-us/rift/

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Minimum Spec usually sucks.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    i want to make sure I understand this. 

are we still debating that the title of the article is wrong?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

Play anything with minimal spec hardware whether it be VR or not VR,  it usually sucks, unless one enjoys slide shows.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited August 2016
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

Play anything with minimal spec hardware whether it be VR or not VR,  it usually sucks, unless one enjoys slide shows.
    let me ask again

1060m is not min. gtx970 is

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Hey guys, I'm hearing from expert sources that current and extremely fast video cards are indeed VR Ready. VR head goggles are new and vastly advanced tech that require special PCs and special people to run them. Stay tuned.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯