Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game On #87 - Is No Man's Sky a Disappointment? - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited August 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    JeroKane said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Lateris said:
    Hello Games never over hyped this game compared to other MMORPG's out there and we all know who they are. .....
    1. Hello Games is not an MMORPG so why is it being compared to MMORPGs in this sentence?
    2. what 'other' MMORPGS are you refering to that were more hyped then this game?
    3. of course they over hyped it

There are plenty of games and MMORPG's that were overhyped way more than NMS, to the point it could never meet people's expectations.

Most recent examples:

Star Wars: Battlefront ( delivered ridiculous low content, shambles of multiplayer features. Everything was put in Paid DLC!)

Destiny (eventhough I and millions of others enjoyed it for long time, it dissapointed many due to hype)

BDO and B&S were very recent overhyped MMO's, but Archage took the crown of insane hype, mostly done by rabid fans into the Extreme.

SW:TOR. Marketing Budget greater than the actual Development Budget. I leave it at that.

Guild Wars 2, WildStar, ESO, Defiance.... Insane hype to the point it was bound to dissapoint.

I can go on and on if you would like?
    I dont think any of them not a single one of them was hyped more than NMS.

NMS had an interview on the Colbert Report for fuck sake! articles written about it all over the place like walpaper even non-gaming sites. nope those didnt reach the level of NMS marketing hype. nope not

You can't be serious?  Tell me where Sony spend more than 250 million dollars on marketing for NMS?
    Because that is exactly what EA spend on SW:TOR. Just as an example.

For crying out loud, you couldn't even fart on the toilet without seeing an add about SW:TOR. lol.

Same with Destiny. ActiVision spend a ridiculous amount of Money on marketing! It was litterally everywhere.

Blizzard is insanely good at that too and spends millions. Though, it has become a bit less now.

The only difference and why NMS got the extra coverage, was the Tech used behind it! And no matter how you think of the game itself, the Tech used in NMS is Incredible! That is something no one can deny.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    It's only a disappointment if you went in expecting something different, which is probably what happened to a lot of people. They probably thought it was a multiplayer game. It sort of is, but when everyone's spread out too far, it's near impossible to meet anyone. I don't know why developers do this, as if they haven't seen these past mistakes happen in the past.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited August 2016
    JeroKane said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    JeroKane said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Lateris said:
    Hello Games never over hyped this game compared to other MMORPG's out there and we all know who they are. .....
    1. Hello Games is not an MMORPG so why is it being compared to MMORPGs in this sentence?
    2. what 'other' MMORPGS are you refering to that were more hyped then this game?
    3. of course they over hyped it

There are plenty of games and MMORPG's that were overhyped way more than NMS, to the point it could never meet people's expectations.

Most recent examples:

Star Wars: Battlefront ( delivered ridiculous low content, shambles of multiplayer features. Everything was put in Paid DLC!)

Destiny (eventhough I and millions of others enjoyed it for long time, it dissapointed many due to hype)

BDO and B&S were very recent overhyped MMO's, but Archage took the crown of insane hype, mostly done by rabid fans into the Extreme.

SW:TOR. Marketing Budget greater than the actual Development Budget. I leave it at that.

Guild Wars 2, WildStar, ESO, Defiance.... Insane hype to the point it was bound to dissapoint.

I can go on and on if you would like?
    I dont think any of them not a single one of them was hyped more than NMS.

NMS had an interview on the Colbert Report for fuck sake! articles written about it all over the place like walpaper even non-gaming sites. nope those didnt reach the level of NMS marketing hype. nope not

You can't be serious?  Tell me where Sony spend more than 250 million dollars on marketing for NMS?
    Because that is exactly what EA spend on SW:TOR. Just as an example.

For crying out loud, you couldn't even fart on the toilet without seeing an add about SW:TOR. lol.

Same with Destiny. ActiVision spend a ridiculous amount of Money on marketing! It was litterally everywhere.

Blizzard is insanely good at that and spends millions.

The only difference of the extra coverage of NMS was the Tech used behind it! And no matter how you think of the game itself, the Tech used in NMS is Incredible! That is something no one can deny.
    yes I am very serious. 

I have no idea how much they spent or where the money came from but I repeat

1. there has been more articles in gaming publications written about this game then all those others.
    2. there has been more articles is non-gaming publications written about this game then likely  all those games COMBINED.
    4. none of those games had interviews on TV shows. multiple TV shows I might add

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited August 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

yes I am very serious. 

1. there has been more articles in gaming publications written about this game then all those others.
    2. there has been more articles is non-gaming publications written about this game then likely  all those games COMBINED.
    4. none of those games had interviews on TV shows. multiple TV shows I might add
    I have not seen a single TV show mentioning NMS. Not a single TV add. Not a single Magazine add. Not a single poster. Nothing! Other than here and there on the internet.
    If I had not been following this site and some others, I wouldn't even have known about this game until last week when it launched and seen the PS4 box on the shelf.

On the other hand:
    Both SW:TOR and Destiny where everywhere! Litterally everywhere! Same with Blizzard's games! or any CoD or BF game for that matter.

- TV adds
    - Trailers in cinema
    - Posters everywhere
    - Plenty of coverage in non-gaming Magazines. Forbes and other similar sites have been covering games for years now! Open your eyes a bit more perhaps? NMS is definitely not the only one.
    Forbes has been covering an insane amount of articles on Destiny the last couple years! And before that on SW:TOR and other games.

You must have had severe tunnel vision syndrome or suffer from amnesia if you cannot remember the insane marketing campaigns behind these games.

And then I haven't even mentioned Mass Effect 3 or Skyrim.
    edited August 2016
    JeroKane said:
    SEANMCAD said:

yes I am very serious. 

I have not seen a single TV show mentioning NMS
    there was a fucking interview with him on the Colbert Report for fuck sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what the fuck?

SEANMCAD said:

JeroKane said:

SEANMCAD said:

yes I am very serious. 

there was a fucking interview with him on the Colbert Report for fuck sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what the fuck?

I live in Europe and Sean Murray. Who the hell is that?

I have only seen Conan O'Brien covering game stuff and it's hilarious.

Honestly, never seen Sean Murray on TV here, though plenty other late night shows from US.
    edited August 2016
    JeroKane said:

SEANMCAD said:

JeroKane said:

SEANMCAD said:

yes I am very serious. 

what the fuck?

Honestly, never seen Sean Murray on TV here, though plenty other late night shows from US.
    well there you have. Cobert Report is an extreemly popular show.

additionally i have heard at min. one popular youtuber and one artcle state 'the most hyped up game in history'

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:

JeroKane said:

SEANMCAD said:

JeroKane said:

SEANMCAD said:

yes I am very serious. 

what the fuck?

additionally i have heard at min. one popular youtuber and one artcle state 'the most hyped up game in history'

And so are plenty of other Late Night shows, like Conan O'brien, etc who are actually broadcasted over here and they cover games from time to time too. Especially Conan O'Brien.

That's what I am trying to say. You make it look like NMS was some special snowflake that got special coverage no other game got. Which is blatantly false!

I would not say NMS is anywhere near the most hyped game in history. I think that article is WAY off on that one.

If there was one game that actual got a lot of TV coverage and interviews, than it was Richard Garriott with Tabula Rasa and his mission to space, trying to let NCSoft paying for it. Lol.

• ZaqirZaqir Member UncommonPosts: 55
    JeroKane said:
    Agree. It's just sickening how far these people go into trashing this game on the internet.

People have been screaming, angry and frustrated with big studios keep throwing out the same recycled garbage games every single year ( FIFA, CoD, BF, etc ).
    That there is no longer any inovation within the industry and everyone playing safe.

Now we finally have a Indy studio actually doing exactly that! Trying to inovate and do something new. They get slammed and trashed like no tomorrow, because People overhyped themselves into fantasy lala land! /facepalm

That reddit thread is just a sickening joke and like I said in another topic. You can make similar threads from practically any other game out there (especially MMO's), where lead Developers are talking and boasting about awesome game features that end up being cut, delayed, etc due to budget and time constraints.

That is just the reality of game Development and you would have thought People would have learned their lesson and keep their expectations in check by now, until the game has gone gold and the final feature list and specs are listed on the back of the Box and sites like Steam!

People that are screaming deceit and false advertisement, have no clue what they are talking about!
    There is no false advertisement on the PS4 game Box, nor on the PS Store, nor on Steam, nor on the official website!

If you want real lies, deceit and false advertisement, then it was Gaute and Erling from Funcom promoting Age of Conan, putting features on the back of the Box that were not in the game!
    Then you can scream deceit and false advertisement.

No Man's Sky is a solid game and plenty of people are having a good time.
    The problem is that (as someone who bought the game for Pc) Everything has been about potential, about showing off procedural content that doesn't quite do anything.. People are focusing on what Sean "said" and what he said was either vague/or variations of the truth. What I did in the first 5 minutes I have done the exact same time after my 4th 5th 6th and 7th system jump. Is it nice? Kinda, is it fun? Kinda, does it do anything and the answer is that the only true objective has been to acquire more inventory slots.

Were my expectations high? Yes, but frankly this game doesn't deliver on 10% of what Sean said, not even close. I am not involved in some intergalaxy war, Frigates are set pieces nothing more, animals are eye candy that changes from funny to cool looking but that is all, the tenants of the game "Survival, Craft,Fight,Explore" are again all simply variations of getting more inventory slots to hold enough elements to do any of those things for a longer period of time. THE END

It isn't being a negative fanboy, its fact

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Half LIfe 3 has more hype than any other computer game in the world and it doesn't even exist. Or does it?
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    JeroKane said:
    That's what I am trying to say. You make it look like NMS was some special snowflake that got special coverage no other game got. Which is blatantly false!

It got a damn site more special coverage than any other 14 man studio I've ever seen...

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    http://steamcharts.com/top

At number 4 with 53,209 current players.

Name Current Players Last 30 Days Peak Players Hours Played
    1. Dota 2 684,470
    1,117,159 480,547,863
    2. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive 502,096
    538,791 251,243,359
    3. Team Fortress 2 59,938
    69,157 40,400,990
    4. No Man's Sky 53,209
    212,321 10,492,963

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Grunty said:
    Half LIfe 3 has more hype than any other computer game in the world and it doesn't even exist. Or does it?

The number 1 spot will always be held by Duke Nukem Forever.

That is hands down the most overhyped game in existence. Ever!

No other game will ever be able to beat that one, not even Half Life 3.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    observer said:
    It's only a disappointment if you went in expecting something different, which is probably what happened to a lot of people. They probably thought it was a multiplayer game. It sort of is, but when everyone's spread out too far, it's near impossible to meet anyone. I don't know why developers do this, as if they haven't seen these past mistakes happen in the past.
    I have said this before, & I'll say it again.  I am sure they originally wanted multiplayer, but the staggering pile of work needed to get it off the ground was too much.  I believe that if the game is still healthy in 6-9 months, they will announce a multiplayer patch that will add MMO elements such as team PvE and guilds, for the one year anniversary.  Of course, sub-space communications and wormholes will be required.

I am not sure that they will include PvP any time soon.  There are plenty of space games out there (EVE and E:D come to mind) that live and die on PvP.  Once again, assuming NMS is healthy, I expect some form of PvP to be included, but I think it will be at least 18 months out.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

JeroKane said:

It got a damn site more special coverage than any other 14 man studio I've ever seen...

What about Minecraft?

Or AngryBirds for that matter. Both these studios were much smaller than NMS and got way more coverage.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    JeroKane said:

I would not say NMS is anywhere near the most hyped game in history. I think that article is WAY off on that one.

If there was one game that actual got a lot of TV coverage and interviews, than it was Richard Garriott with Tabula Rasa and his mission to space, trying to let NCSoft paying for it. Lol.

Yeah then Richard G sues NCSoft and wins $28 million! Crazy.
    Why did he not put some of that $28 million into Shroud of the Avatar?

You do know that winning the court case doesn't actually get you the money.  You then have to get NCSoft to pay up.  It's a civil case, not a criminal one.  It's possible that he's gotten none of that money. 

I suspect he has pump primed SotA with some of his own money.   But as Curt Schillng learned, a huge investment isn't always a great idea.   And that's after 38 Studios actually released a game too.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    I like exploration games, so NMS will do just nicely for me.  Once they roll the first big patch out that is.  Playing on the Xperimental branch works fine for  me, but the first planet on the main branch was really nice.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392

SEANMCAD said:

JeroKane said:

SEANMCAD said:

JeroKane said:

SEANMCAD said:

yes I am very serious. 

what the fuck?

Oh, well, since ONE popular youtuber said it it MUST be true....
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited August 2016
    no. but mmorpg.com - has become a disappointment.