Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite Dangerous has PG with planetary landings and no load screen.

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
Just wondering why Star Citizen's development is talked about like its the greatest thing ever.  Elite Dangerous has already created planetary landings without loading screens.  Am I missing something here?

Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    ED just does it and talks about it less :)

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• joeslowmoejoeslowmoe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Because, apparently, when you're fleecing 90 mil from the masses you feel some sort of obligation to lie to them on a regular basis.  Seems like stealing their cash would be enough.  The added lying just seems mean spirited.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Looks like ED is doing what SC was planning.  Release the game in modules untill its complete.  ED is right now working on boarding and the fps combat.  
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    This is news why ?

Scroll down in this subforum and you see that "news" posted months ago in multiple threads when we discussed E:D "Horizon" here.

Its a nice form of PG surface on airless moons and planets. Fun to explore. Fun to fight over and against bases. Fun to listen to singing barnacles. So far no atmospheres, plants, lifeforms (except for our molluscian friends) ... but we are getting there.

Have fun
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I should probably pay more attention to this game than I do.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Kyleran said:
    Not if you enjoy distinct content and narratives in your game.
    DKLond said:
    Kyleran said:
    The content and narrative is made by the gamers.

Having said that, i WOULD enjoy an official storyline too - especially when it involved Thargoids. Something more obvious than VERY RARE unknown artifacts.

Have fun
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Because, apparently, when you're fleecing 90 mil from the masses you feel some sort of obligation to lie to them on a regular basis.  Seems like stealing their cash would be enough.  The added lying just seems mean spirited.

I think it's funny that people think that ED is being developed on like $5 million or something. They are well over $100 million at this point also, and they're not finished. So if we're comparing apples to apples, ED and SC are essentially in the same state, but ED has a core space sim launched. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Erillion said:
    DKLond said:
    Kyleran said:
    The content and narrative is made by the gamers.

Having said that, i WOULD enjoy an official storyline too - especially when it involved Thargoids. Something more obvious than VERY RARE unknown artifacts.

Have fun
    What you're saying is that all games without content and narrative have content and narrative because we can just make it up.

Seriously?

How about we just say it like it is. The game has little in the way of distinct content and narrative, and that's ok - it all depends on what you want.

Just like Minecraft - at least on release.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    To be fair.  What content does Eve offer that Elite doesn't?  
    edited August 2016
    filmoret said:
    Not much at all. There's a reason I don't play Eve, either.

That said, Eve does have a much more interesting multiplayer infrastructure and economy - but that's not really my thing without content or a narrative.

If you want to look at games in the genre that have distinct content and narrative, you have to look at games like Privateer, Freelancer, X-Rebirth, Tachyon the Fringe, and others.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    filmoret said:
    Good PvP Setup. If there's one thing where drama surrounds ED is Salty PvPers. I think EvE is quite unbeatable on that aspect when we talk about space sims.
    Torval said:
    ED looks like the most boring game ever made. It's not chill like NMS. It's not economically deep like EVE. They focus on the boring mundane parts of the game. It doesn't seem like they excel at any one thing.  Every video I've seen of this game looks so boring and tedious. It makes Pantheon combat look exciting.

What about this game is interesting and compelling?
    NMS is not chill its anyoying to the extreme and as a result it causes a great deal of stress and anger 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited August 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:
    ED looks like the most boring game ever made. It's not chill like NMS. It's not economically deep like EVE. They focus on the boring mundane parts of the game. It doesn't seem like they excel at any one thing.  Every video I've seen of this game looks so boring and tedious. It makes Pantheon combat look exciting.

NMS is not chill its anyoying to the extreme and as a result it causes a great deal of stress and anger 
    Do you own it and play it?
    I dont own a knife that I have ever stuck in my eye either but I can tell without sticking a knife in my eye and licking my blood off of it that its painful and I dont want a part of it

Torval said:

Grab an Oculus Rift and a HOTAS and just enjoy flying and looking around.

It has a meditative appeal.

Exploring for the sake of exploring.

Have fun

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:

I dont own a knife that I have ever stuck in my eye either but I can tell without sticking a knife in my eye and licking my blood off of it that its painful and I dont want a part of it
    Stress and anger? I have felt neither of these feelings regarding NMS is my 10's of hours of play time. Maybe because I didn't get caught up in the hype and got what I expected?

Steam: Neph

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:

So NMS is annoying and not chill but you do not own it nor have ever played it....right. Carry on.
    I also havent jumped out of an airplane so i dont know that its painful but I have seen other people do it.

the entire 'you dont own it' logic is extreemly faulty to its very core and countless examples can illustrate that its about as relevant a rebuttle as saying 'pluto drives a car' is. if only one would actually read my examples 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited August 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:

So NMS is annoying and not chill but you do not own it nor have ever played it....right. Carry on.
    I also havent jumped out of an airplane so i dont know that its painful but I have seen other people do it.

the entire 'you dont own it' logic is extreemly faulty to its very core and countless examples can illustrate that its about as relevant a rebuttle as saying 'pluto drives a car' is. if only one would actually read my examples 
    I own Space Engineers and Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky.
    I can speak from experience owning and playing all three. Wisdom is gained through experience.
    your rebuttles make zero sense and do not apply and I am telling you they are about as relevant as saying 'because of reasons'

I state again. 

I have not stuck a fork in my eye but I know its painful

how many times do you want me to resay this with multiple examples?

that 'meme' of an arguement is horrifically weak and needs to be put to its death bed

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Sticking a fork in your eye and playing a video game is an apples to oranges comparison. There are plenty of games that have received negative coverage or that other people have not enjoyed that I have wound up enjoying. I'd assume this is true for many others as well. While I certainly believe that you have the capacity to assess for yourself whether you would enjoy a game or not, even without playing it, it's certainly not the same level of simpleness as sticking a fork in your eye vs not.

Steam: Neph

Sticking a fork in your eye and playing a video game is an apples to oranges comparison. There are plenty of games that have received negative coverage or that other people have not enjoyed that I have wound up enjoying. I'd assume this is true for many others as well. While I certainly believe that you have the capacity to assess for yourself whether you would enjoy a game or not, even without playing it, it's certainly not the same level of simpleness as sticking a fork in your eye vs not.
    no its not

I dont have to have sex to know its good. I dont have to watch a movie to get a hint what its about by watching the trailer. i dont have to read the entire book before I know its something I might like.

Its pure grade A bullshit

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited August 2016
    @Nephaerius
     At the same time people have a pretty good idea of what will and what won't appeal to them.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다