Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'Where the NMS We Were Sold On' Reddit Thread NOW ARCHIVED

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    MaxBacon said:
    So then... yes? It's a pretty similar situation? A situation where a lot was promised and very little was delivered as promised and you still might find it fun? 

Or is it a no?
    It's a comparative between a fully released game and other very much in development. The moment it is released we can compare exactly to what extent it met what it was said to be. Differences would be that on one you'd be playing it up until the moment it releases (so no surprises by release day), here on NMS it was such a very closed source of info and what exactly the game was and how it exactly played that the release hit from sudden with people's expectations, so that'd be very much the difference.
    I accept that. One game was very secretive about what it would be when it was released and the other was ... wait.

What will this game be released as? Are you sure that this game is not also being very secretive about what is going to be released? Because I have no clue what the MVP will include, when it will be released or with what quality. SC seems extremely closed source. They have definitely TOLD us what it is going to be. Just like Sean Murray told us what NMS was going to be.
    I think you need to read that reddit thread. Cause what Sean said NMS was going to be ended up only being a quarter of what he said it was gonig to be. He said ALOT of stuff and a good 90% of that is not in the game in any form at all.  Planets moving... NOPE sure does not happen in any way.  Not mining if you do not want to..  NOPE cant do that for sure. Different AI factions..  NOPE no such thing..  Being able to meet other people even if its extremely rare.. NOPE cut before the PS4 release because they couldn't pull it off.  And there is SOOOO much more that he claimed would be in that is not even in even at a very basic form.  And we won't even go into the mysterious story..  What a joke.. Having finished the Atlas line (50 hours of play I put in) and watching someone else make it to the center of the galaxy..  yeah..  Smoke and mirrors my friend.. smoke and mirrors.  This game is a early access at best at this point.  Release a game where half the options do not even work and requiring a expermental branch to get them working correctly.. 

The sad thing is this all could have been avoided if he answered questions instead of dodge them with additional questions. To say fans built the hype up is not 100% true.. Sean built the hype up and what he ended up delievering was nothing more then a interesting game engine without a game on it for the most part.
    And why would you think SC would be any different?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Like some others have said.  I look at the videos and streams and it decides a lot.  Are the demos on PC's or consoles?  If a key feature isn't in the videos it probably won't be in the game at the start anyways.  Some features in the videos may not be in the game.  The game always run perfect in the videos and you learn a lot from the live streams.  Always take a step back and don't fall for the hype, especially if it's a new developer who's just starting.  Beware of ports.  When in doubt wait till after the launch and see how the game is playing for others.  Live and learn...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
     Just another day on the internet...
    Best statement I ever seen you make. :)

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Dullahan said:
    LIOKI said:
    I'll just leave this here, seems to fit the shoe.

Lol, I especially liked the part about collecting shit with your shit collecting gun, then move to the next planet and do it over again.

Not that I think theres anything wrong with NMS, its pretty much exactly what I expected. Not nearly as extravagant as a hand made world to explore, but its fun. People who expected more probably just let their imagination run away with them. Its happens to everyone but I'm pretty much impervious to that stuff at this point.
    I don't play the game, and never will. I have said it before and will say it again though that if we as consumers of these games continue to allow developers to lie to us, or to make about faces on features and hide behind vague explanations things will continue to get worse and worse for us. We need to take a collective stand or this will become the norm.
    You're playing it off as the consumers fault is a prime example. I don't mean to point a finger at you directly, and it isn't personal, but it is a part of why we can't have nice things.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    LIOKI said:
    Dullahan said:
    LIOKI said:

Lol, I especially liked the part about collecting shit with your shit collecting gun, then move to the next planet and do it over again.

Not that I think theres anything wrong with NMS, its pretty much exactly what I expected. Not nearly as extravagant as a hand made world to explore, but its fun. People who expected more probably just let their imagination run away with them. Its happens to everyone but I'm pretty much impervious to that stuff at this point.
    I don't play the game, and never will. I have said it before and will say it again though that if we as consumers of these games continue to allow developers to lie to us, or to make about faces on features and hide behind vague explanations things will continue to get worse and worse for us. We need to take a collective stand or this will become the norm.
    You're playing it off as the consumers fault is a prime example. I don't mean to point a finger at you directly, and it isn't personal, but it is a part of why we can't have nice things.
    Got to say that is ridiculous...

As others have said this is not rocket science.

1. Wait for games to release. 

2. See reviews and streams.

3. If game appeals to you AS IT REALLY IS not some hype. Buy it.

Anyone that does not do the above has ZERO reason to bitch and moan, no matter what the hype was. No matter what issues a game has. 

Everything else here and on any other forum or site is just so much noise. Until a game comes out that auto charges your CC or bank account, no one can bitch about buying a game. There is too much info out there for anyone with a lick of sense.

But of course we see how much sense most gamers have.  There has never been a game released that waiting a few days or a week could not tell everyone that was interested in it what to expect.

Gamers are one of the most pathetic groups of people anywhere.  Act like this stuff is really important.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    DarLorkar said:
    LIOKI said:
    Dullahan said:
    LIOKI said:

Anyone that does not do the above has ZERO reason to bitch and moan, no matter what the hype was. No matter what issues a game has. 

Everything else here and on any other forum or site is just so much noise. Until a game comes out that auto charges your CC or bank account, no one can bitch about buying a game. There is too much info out there for anyone with a lick of sense.

But of course we see how much sense most gamers have.  There has never been a game released that waiting a few days or a week could not tell everyone that was interested in it what to expect.

Gamers are one of the most pathetic groups of people anywhere.  Act like this stuff is really important.

I'd argue the point with you but....
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    DarLorkar said:
    LIOKI said:
    Dullahan said:
    LIOKI said:

So you are saying its ok for a dev to lie and that they should not be held accountable for what they say?
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    DarLorkar said:
    LIOKI said:
    Dullahan said:
    LIOKI said:

So you are saying its ok for a dev to lie and that they should not be held accountable for what they say?
    See 1 2 3 above....again...not rocket science. 

If they lied and you followed the above..what would you care? You would not of bought the game right?>
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    edited August 2016
    Well seeing as how what the dev said was in the game and what actualy ended up being in the game is two different things.. Even waiting for reviews hasn't solved what is / is not in the game. You have to go by what the dev says is in and hope he is not lying.

Ageain another case just now..

http://www.gamezone.com/news/no-man-s-sky-founder-backtracks-could-get-paid-dlc-3442515

Saying there will be no paid DLC now he is saying there will be... lol And there is no need to say HYPE is what made everything magically appear that is not in the game.. The DEV said this still would be there..
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    edited August 2016
    They made a mistake going the way they did with their engine technology. They should have created Wing Commander type game instead, and had something like 1000 stars with solar systems with handcrafted planets for the story to take place in. It would have been a better use of the technology than head to the centre of the universe with maths formulas making things random on what you see on the way.
  • TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135
    best "inventory full" simluator ive ever seen
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    edited August 2016

Burntvet said:

Hello games doesn't care at this point, they are taking their $60 per box to the bank and laughing at all the suckers that hyped it to the skies for them.

Who is more to blame? The fanbois who hyped this thing, or the naive gamers that bought the BS?

NMS is not even a bad game, it is just not a AAA game or a $60 game.

And complaining about it now after you already bought it is not going to do much of anything.

Sorry, but NMS is more of a AAA game than most of the outright broken or endlessly recycled garbage the big three ( EA / ActiVision / Ubisoft ) have released in recent years!

I am currently having more fun in NMS than in some of those "other" games hyped by these big studios.

It runs flawlessly on my PS4 and it runs flawlessly on my PC (after a few tweaks in graphic settings. Took me less than a minute ).

People have been overhyping themselves, just like they have been doing with countless other games in the past. To the point that dissapointment is inevitable!

This time, I have completely ignored all the hype and it has paid off for me, I am deeply enjoying the game, because I went in without expectations.

PS. It was the same with Destiny. I completely ignored all the hype and I played and enjoyed that game on my PS4 for more than 18 months straight with family and friends.
    Post edited by JeroKane on
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    "The physics of every other game—it’s faked,” the chief architect Sean Murray explained. “When you’re on a planet, you’re surrounded by a skybox—a cube that someone has painted stars or clouds onto. If there is a day to night cycle, it happens because they are slowly transitioning between a series of different boxes."

"With us,” Murray continued, “when you're on a planet, you can see as far as the curvature of that planet. If you walked for years, you could walk all the way around it, arriving back exactly where you started. Our day to night cycle is happening because the planet is rotating on its axis as it spins around the sun. There is real physics to that. We have people that will fly down from a space station onto a planet and when they fly back up, the station isn't there anymore; the planet has rotated. People have filed that as a bug.”

LOL, Murray is a right charlatan.

Just look at Elite and Kerbal for prime examples of non-faked physics, and what a tool for saying this when your game comes out with zero physics implementation, star systems are bland skyboxes and your dumb ass ship flies like something out of Starfox.

edited August 2016
    "The physics of every other game—it’s faked,” the chief architect Sean Murray explained. “When you’re on a planet, you’re surrounded by a skybox—a cube that someone has painted stars or clouds onto. If there is a day to night cycle, it happens because they are slowly transitioning between a series of different boxes."

"With us,” Murray continued, “when you're on a planet, you can see as far as the curvature of that planet. If you walked for years, you could walk all the way around it, arriving back exactly where you started. Our day to night cycle is happening because the planet is rotating on its axis as it spins around the sun. There is real physics to that. We have people that will fly down from a space station onto a planet and when they fly back up, the station isn't there anymore; the planet has rotated. People have filed that as a bug.”

Just look at Elite and Kerbal for prime examples of non-faked physics, and what a tool for saying this when your game comes out with zero physics implementation, star systems are bland skyboxes and your dumb ass ship flies like something out of Starfox.

Maybe you should actually play the game first, like so many other trolls on the internet slamming this game.

The planets do rotate. They have day and night cycles and alien spacecraft fly overhead regularly, entering and leaving the atmosphere.
    And yes, you can travel (walk or fly) around the entire planet.....and yes it's frigging huge and takes ages!
    That is how someone managed to completely upgrade his inventory and manage to find lots of crashed ships on his starter planet til he had 48 slot inventory.

The game gives you lots of freedom and let you play how you like it. Some can't wait to leave their starting planet and move towards the center, while others can stay as long as they want on one planet and explore it completely, reaching that 100% discovered goal (giving you high credit reward).

That's what I like about the game and can't wait to see how they going to expand it through updates.

This is a sandbox game! There is no handholding! There are no quest marks on the map with golden trails to each location! No linear story guiding you to the end. Etc.
    There is a lot more to it to this game than people first thought. A lot of new things are discovered by players each day.

People have been flooded by handholding themepark games the last decade and have completely forgotten how to play in a sandbox.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited August 2016
    Got the game on my PS4 and loving it, silly pc players thought it was an mmo even though they were told time and again it wasn't lol.

Should of just kept it a PS4 exclusive like it was meant to be.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Most of the examples given in that thread were never confirmed nor promised to be in the game. There's a lot of, "This is something we'd like to do", or "We'll think about it, that could be cool!", kind of stuff he's said.

Did the game ship with a few promised items missing? Yes, but the list is nowhere near as extensive as people would have everyone believe. They hyped themselves up over every little thing which Sean said and twisted it into a 'promise'.

From what I've seen and heard, about 90% of features which were actually confirmed were in the game at release. People are just screaming and crying over the 10% which weren't. Honestly, I think the buggy mess which passes for the PC version is far more cause for concern than a bunch of mostly meaningless features which didn't make it to release.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Well seeing as how what the dev said was in the game and what actualy ended up being in the game is two different things.. Even waiting for reviews hasn't solved what is / is not in the game. You have to go by what the dev says is in and hope he is not lying.

Ageain another case just now..

http://www.gamezone.com/news/no-man-s-sky-founder-backtracks-could-get-paid-dlc-3442515

Saying there will be no paid DLC now he is saying there will be... lol And there is no need to say HYPE is what made everything magically appear that is not in the game.. The DEV said this still would be there..
    Hello Games didn't originally plan to add any further content to NMS at all. They said that IF the game was well received, they would consider adding more stuff.

When the sales numbers came in, it was obvious that there was a strong case for expanding the base game. HG confirmed they would be adding some more features, and those features would be free. Obviously they have considered the scope of some of the features they could add and those things could end up taking quite a bit of time.

Did anyone REALLY expect that ALL future new content for NMS would be "free" ? Really ?
    edited August 2016
    JeroKane said:

Maybe you should actually play the game first, like so many other trolls on the internet slamming this game.

The planets do rotate. They have day and night cycles and alien spacecraft fly overhead regularly, entering and leaving the atmosphere.
    And yes, you can travel (walk or fly) around the entire planet.....and yes it's frigging huge and takes ages!
    That is how someone managed to completely upgrade his inventory and manage to find lots of crashed ships on his starter planet til he had 48 slot inventory.

The game gives you lots of freedom and let you play how you like it. Some can't wait to leave their starting planet and move towards the center, while others can stay as long as they want on one planet and explore it completely, reaching that 100% discovered goal (giving you high credit reward).

That's what I like about the game and can't wait to see how they going to expand it through updates.

This is a sandbox game! There is no handholding! There are no quest marks on the map with golden trails to each location! No linear story guiding you to the end. Etc.
    There is a lot more to it to this game than people first thought. A lot of new things are discovered by players each day.

People have been flooded by handholding themepark games the last decade and have completely forgotten how to play in a sandbox.

Lots of words but 90% of them are completely unrelated to the quoted comment. Are you Sean Murray perchance?

Maybe you should realise that the complaints are about moons orbiting planets, planets orbiting stars, you know a proper physics simulation of a star system like Murray claimed.. No one cares about a planet rotating on the spot, any fool can program that. Day/night cycles have been in games for as long as I can remember.

If the game is fun, good for you finding something you like. I couldn;t care less about the game itself.
    What I care about are developers overpromising and underdelivering, That's all I'm against, if a developer says shit, sells a game based on that shit and does nothing to explain the absence of all the promises then they deserve all the flak that comes their way.
    Molyneaux gets flak, Roberts gets flak and now Murray has earned himself a spot in the esteemed gobshite club.
    Suck it up No Man's Boy.

edited August 2016
    JeroKane said:

Lots of words but 90% of them are completely unrelated to the quoted comment. Are you Sean Murray perchance?

Maybe you should realise that the complaints are about moons orbiting planets, planets orbiting stars, you know a proper physics simulation of a star system like Murray claimed.. No one cares about a planet rotating on the spot, any fool can program that. Day/night cycles have been in games for as long as I can remember.

So you have played the game, left the planet and sit into space for a year, staring at the screen to see if the planets rotate around the sun ?

Really, who cares, since you won't spend enough time in one system to witness an entire planet orbit around a sun.
    It would be a Complete Waste of resources to implement as no one will notice anyway.

If this is your main gripe with the game. LOL! /shrug
    edited August 2016
    Seems that the original post on reddit which had 6500+ upvotes, was stickied etc, has now been deleted by a moderator, a copy has been posted at https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4y1h9i/wheres_the_no_mans_sky_we_were_sold_on_a_big_list/
    JeroKane said:

So you have played the game, left the planet and sit into space for a year, staring at the screen to see if the planets rotate around the sun ?

Really, who cares, since you won't spend enough time in one system to witness an entire planet orbit around a sun.
    It would be a Complete Waste of resources to implement as no one will notice anyway.

There's a bigger picture that you might be able to grasp if you were able to put down the kool aid for one minute... I care about developers advertising one thing and delivering something else and so should you.

It's a problem that is rife in the industry and excusing it because it happens to affect your game-of-the-month is either apathy or willful ignorance.

JeroKane said:

There's a bigger picture that you might be able to grasp if you were able to put down the kool aid for one minute... I care about developers advertising one thing and delivering something else and so should you.

It's a problem that is rife in the industry and excusing it because it happens to affect your game-of-the-month is either apathy or willful ignorance.

We don't know. Has anyone actually tested it out and provided prove that the planets don't orbit around the sun in space?

If it has been implemented in a realistic way, well ...in either way it will be very hard to prove or disprove.

All I am saying, is this is really nitpicking on the stupid.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    JeroKane said:

And I'm at odds with this accusation because it seems to me most of what was "sold" about this game, and in fact damn near any new game for the past several years, was done by deluded fanbois hyping up vague mumblings into concrete realities. Feel you were lied to? Well maybe the best medicine for this type of behavior, instead of once again going on the usual internet haterade rampage, would be to stand in front of a mirror and slap the holy living shit out of yourselves.
    There's always a combination of this for a hyped game, I agree.

Even for games that I'm personally a big supporter of, like Star Citizen. A ton of "deluded" fans are hurting the project by blowing its genius way out of proportion. To me, it's key to stay grounded - even if I think the game has the potential to go above and beyond.

But, really, every developer is unique - and every marketing campaign is unique.

For NMS, even if I never followed development that closely, it's a clear-cut case of overpromising and underdelivering.

Quite extensively so, I should say.

Customers shouldn't have to go out of their way to read between the lines. That kind of thing is just not ok with me.
    JeroKane said:

We don't know. Has anyone actually tested it out and provided prove that the planets don't orbit around the sun in space?
    If it has been implemented in a realistic way, well ...in either way it will be very hard to prove or disprove.
    All I am saying, is this is really nitpicking on the stupid.

Even now, the only nitpicking going on here is from you.

My quote of Murray was highlighting an example of how he would make wild claims that they were the only game doing feature X (which was blatantly untrue) and then fail to implement all these wonderful features he was bragging about. The game was sold on these non-existant features as can be seen from the reddit post.

Whether it's planetary orbits or skyboxes or ship physics or anything else is irrelevant - so stop trying to make them appaear as though they are the only point of contention.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

And while I apologize for doing so, once again I have to harshly call outright bullshit on this as this is far from an unusual circumstance. Pure and simple, customers need to learn to keep their fucking money, in their fucking pockets, until they find out exactly what the fucking product fucking includes. Have I made my viewpoint absolutely fucking clear? Good. Thank you. And again my apologies for saying it so harshly but I badly felt it needed to be said.

See you at outrage fest over the next train wreck.
    Also, not to listen to amateur developers trying to sell their product. Sony probably put them up to it so I'll forgive them for that.