Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Man's Sky Review Thread

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    edited August 2016
     Game needs more "stuff".  What they've got is a good foundation. 

More crafting; not just upgrading preexisting stuff you find. 
    A way for players to connect and play together. 

More flora and fauna would help a lot with making the planets look less samey. 

They built the space for a great game, they just need to put it in there. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I get the feeling that within a year this game will be a total non factor
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I actually laughed out loud at this:
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Forgrimm said:
    I actually laughed out loud at this:

Evolution isn't always pretty :)
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    You all bought $60 Early Access. I just got a refund, because I really really hate the controls on PC. I know I can use a controller, but I prefer k+m for first person games on PC.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited August 2016
    Kane72 said:
    Shodanas said:
    This morning i finally got the chance to install NMS, having it pre ordered a while back. Only to find out that the game does not support AMD Phenom II quad core CPU's.....

Which leaves me in a difficult situation having paid 60 euros for a game which doesn't work on my PC. Now, there is a workaround to make it work but i won't bother with alchemy solutions. Not for a 60 euro game.

How can someone release and charge 60 euros for a product with such a severe flaw is beyond my comprehension. In my book this is borderline scam.

I'm trying to decide if i'll wait for a fix or ask for a refund. I'm inclined towards the later.
    You buy a petrol car and put diesel in, what do you expect? Read the info before you buy and you'll have been happy now.
    No such info was presented to me when i pre - purchased NMS a while back.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    You all bought $60 Early Access. I just got a refund, because I really really hate the controls on PC. I know I can use a controller, but I prefer k+m for first person games on PC.
    One of the things about Steam, which makes it a good platform is that its fairly easy to refund a game if there are problems, personally i'd wait and see if they fix things in the game a bit before getting a refund, but if the controls are really that bad then i guess theres nothing to be done except get a refund.
    Be interesting to see how many refunded the game on Steam though, after the Arkham Knight debacle set new records for Steam refunds on games, and the comparisons being made to the problems on the PC version of NMS being on a similar scale, it would be interesting to see just how widespread those issues are from refund metrics. :o

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I get the feeling that within a year this game will be a total non factor
    but the objective of games like this is to make bank the first week. I think they know full well its not a keeper.

The real project was the hype

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited August 2016
    JeroKane said:
    SBFord said:
    Shodanas said:
    This morning i finally got the chance to install NMS, having it pre ordered a while back. Only to find out that the game does not support AMD Phenom II quad core CPU's.....

Which leaves me in a difficult situation having paid 60 euros for a game which doesn't work on my PC. Now, there is a workaround to make it work but i won't bother with alchemy solutions. Not for a 60 euro game.

How can someone release and charge 60 euros for a product with such a severe flaw is beyond my comprehension. In my book this is borderline scam.

I'm trying to decide if i'll wait for a fix or ask for a refund. I'm inclined towards the later.
    That's awful! Have you written them to see if support for your PC CPU will be added in a reasonable amount of time? Otherwise, I'm with you: Get a refund. 

Well to be honest and in their defense. the AMD Phenom II CPU has not been on sale for the last 5 years. Last sale "official" date (at least over here) was 2011.

It was a bit of a strange CPU. It also uses the old AM3 socket as opposed of the new AM3+/FM2+ socket.
    The Phenom II also didn't support a lot of instruction sets, that the Athlon series for example do support.

So if NMS makes use of some of these instruction sets, which it apparently does, then you are simply out of luck!

It is annoying. Yes. I can fully understand your frustration, but you would have been better of going for the Athlon FX in the first Place, as it's AMD's mainstream CPU.

I mean, just look at the AMD page: http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/processors/desktop
    The Phemon II is simply no longer supported and considered Legacy.
    I'm aware that my CPU is outdated.

However given the rest of my PC (GTX970, 16GB Ram, SSD's) i never had any problems in running smoothly even the most demanding games. Furthermore i got hold of a Phenom II X6 black edition which will further boost my system's performance and longevity. I have not installed it yet due to spare time reasons.

I'm not going to buy a new mainboard + CPU for the sake of ONE game.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Well my friend got a refund because he didn't met the system requirements without even knowing it. That was the opengl +4.5 compatible GPU's. There is one alternative around that is allowing people with older versions to run it though, he says he will buy again once he "unstresses" himself. O.o
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    edited August 2016
    So I'm over 30 hours in. Still enjoying it for what it is, which is what I expected from a guy that didn't even want combat in his game to start with. The experimental branch fixed all my hitching issues. Playing 1440p 60fps no probs or streaming to my steam link in my bedroom at 1080p, 60 fps, no issues. I know tons of people are having problems and I'm not trying to downplay that. 

PC Specs:
    i7 4.0 ghz
    16GB RAM
    GTX980ti

Steam: Neph

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

There are a lot of games on PC I prefer playing with controller and love it. It's much better for Your Health (ergonomics).

I specifically bought the XBOX Elite Controller for my PC and love the thing to bits. Worth every penny!
    So I'm over 30 hours in. Still enjoying it for what it is, which is what I expected from a guy that didn't even want combat in his game to start with. The experimental branch fixed all my hitching issues. Playing 1440p 60fps no probs or streaming to my steam link in my bedroom at 1080p, 60 fps, no issues. I know tons of people are having problems and I'm not trying to downplay that. 

PC Specs:
    i7 4.0 ghz
    16GB RAM
    GTX980ti
    now wanting a game that doesnt focus on combat is something I can appreciate 

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Ars Technica weighs in with a front-page, featured article:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/08/no-mans-sky-review-total-eclipse-of-the-galaxys-heart/

"No Man's Sky doesn't fully manage to scratch that basic human itch of the ever-exploring conquistador, nor does it help shed light on the reasons why our species always needs to go 'over there.' To answer why No Man's Sky fails, we can look at how it misses the target of human exceptionalism. The technology here is impressive, beautiful, and sometimes unforgettable. That tech's basic template, however, sets a level of expectations that maybe no game could ever deliver—and that this one certainly doesn't."

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• marcjt20marcjt20 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Just make sure you dont put your antimatter in the starter ship and not jump/switch ships or your fucked...im stranded at the moment with a awesome ship and no god damn power for the hyperdrive

edited August 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

PC Specs:
    i7 4.0 ghz
    16GB RAM
    GTX980ti
    now wanting a game that doesnt focus on combat is something I can appreciate 
    I can't find quotes now but I remember in an interview Sean Murray was against even being able to kill the wildlife on planets at all. I believe he may be vegan, more power to him, and trying to purvey his beliefs through gameplay. This also answers the question about the presence of the sentinels that many seem to rightly wonder about. Side note: those robo-dogs are freaking cool! Eventually they defaulted on this, for the better IMO. NMS really could have pulled some plays from Subnautica's play book. 

In my 30 hours or so, I initially focused on figuring out how to expand my inventory. First, I found upgraded multitools, then started saving for a better ship, decided to fully explore planets and doubled the size of my inventory by finding upgrades and seeing other cool stuff, warped around a bit, attacked by space pirates of varying difficulties, etc. I've really enjoyed uncovering the alien languages and pursued friendly relations and as much vocabulary as I can find. I've almost hit level 10 on all the paths.

Things are very samey at some points. However, the more jumps you take will definitely increase the variety of what you see. I've been on entirely docile planets to one's where sentinels attack for even picking up resources laying on the ground, I've been swarmed by hostile wildlife, or chased away docile herbivores. It's great for exploration IMO and feels very peaceful and relaxing to play. If you bought into the hype it does not live up to it, but if you had realistic expectations it's a decent game. 

If there were no technical flaws I'd give it a solid 7 with room to grow to an 8 or 9 in the future with post launch updates. Potential technical flaws currently keep it around a 5 IMO.

edited August 2016
    Ars Technica weighs in with a front-page, featured article:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/08/no-mans-sky-review-total-eclipse-of-the-galaxys-heart/

"No Man's Sky doesn't fully manage to scratch that basic human itch of the ever-exploring conquistador, nor does it help shed light on the reasons why our species always needs to go 'over there.' To answer why No Man's Sky fails, we can look at how it misses the target of human exceptionalism. The technology here is impressive, beautiful, and sometimes unforgettable. That tech's basic template, however, sets a level of expectations that maybe no game could ever deliver—and that this one certainly doesn't."
    to be honest I even thing 'amazing tech' is being overly generous.

procedural generated world/universes is not new
    leaving only procedurally generated creatures and planets.
    everything else that remains such as one planet station model for all planets, sun you cant fly into and the like is all basically removal of features often found in other space sims games.

leaving the total net nothing more than a RNG of animal names and body parts.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    I think the games largest problem was that Sean just could not shut his dam mouth. He spewed out soo much information and the game doesn't even have half of what he claimed over the years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y046e/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/

A clear case of a dev that just talked WAY to much. Should have spent a little more time in the game world he was making as opposed to claming things that eather got removed, never existed, or just plained lied about.

NMS as it stands should really be a $19.99 game. Having logged some 60 hours into it so far (completed the atlas story line and am now focused on the trip to the center of the universe) the game is really missing ALOT of stuff and its reuse of the same set of assets over and over is really a bummer. Yeah making a million assets that could be reused is alot of work. But I just feel the 100 or so assets they have is reused way too much. And the AI for creatures is just plain lol . These creatures are sooo dumb that its almost like no work was put into giving them any type of AI. 
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    marcjt20 said:
    Just make sure you dont put your antimatter in the starter ship and not jump/switch ships or your fucked...im stranded at the moment with a awesome ship and no god damn power for the hyperdrive

You're not stranded though are you because you can get resources off a planet to refuel the ship and fly about locally until you buy/craft a new antimatter.
    edited August 2016
    Kane72 said:
    marcjt20 said:

You're not stranded though are you because you can get resources off a planet to refuel the ship and fly about locally until you buy/craft a new antimatter.
    You should be able to make your own antimatter. You just take suspension fluid, initially bought from the GTN, turn it into this one purplish circle thing that starts with an E, turn that into antimatter, then turn that into a warp cell, then fuel your engine. I think the main element is Thaumium (sp?). If you're stuck on planet there are plants that have this resource. In space the majority of asteroids have it.  Later on you will learn to make suspension fluid yourself. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Kane72 said:
    marcjt20 said:

You should be able to make your own antimatter. You just take suspension fluid, initially bought from the GTN, turn it into this one purplish circle thing that starts with an E, turn that into antimatter, then turn that into a warp cell, then fuel your engine. I think the main element is Thaumium (sp?). If you're stuck on planet there are plants that have this resource. In space the majority of asteroids have it.  Later on you will learn to make suspension fluid yourself. 
    Agreed. I have found if I mine as much gold as I can haul and daggers to sell to the stations I have plenty of credits to buy pretty much whatever I want.

Yeah I've been using gold too! XD If I find a planet with huge nuggets on the surface I set up shop and explore the whole thing.