Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Camelot Unchained ever effing release?

124»

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    edited August 2016
    Comaf said:
    They could just toss a few nickles at Broadsword Games and buy Dark Age of Camelot. All they'd have to do to have a winning title is use the UNREAL engine and predate the game to before Trials of Atlantis. But meh - what do I know?
    Sure. Buying a still profitable MMO only costs less than a dollar and it costs nothing in programmer salaries and time to undo 13 years of changes to that game's source code and convert all of its art assets to use an entirely different graphics client.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126
    ouch I see what you did there..

anyways I hope daoc will never die because of this new game based freely on the original game. I hate to be the one to say it but there will never be any better camelot game than daoc. Just remember the major fiasco warhammer, game of reckoning was??

If you make those guy hurry too much it will be just the same as WAR. A major mess.
  • FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Hothlove said:
    I hate to be the one to say it but there will never be any better camelot game than daoc.
    It's impossible to know until after CU launched, but it will certainly have very interesting elements that DAoC didn't have (afaik):
    - Very large scale battles (600+ players) with solid FPS
    - RvR-based progression - deemphasized PvE grind
    - Dynamic maps that change according to players' actions
    - Server-based physics
    - Complex construction / destruction system
    - Skill crafting
    - Awesome forests and much more =P

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Hothlove said:
    I hate to be the one to say it but there will never be any better camelot game than daoc.
    It's impossible to know until after CU launched, but it will certainly have very interesting elements that DAoC didn't have (afaik):
    - Server-based physics
    - Skill crafting

*picture snipped*
    Most of your list is correct although one could debate whether some of them will ultimately prove to be good things or bad things.

However I'd take issue with including RvR progression on there. Yes CU doesn't require PvE grinding from 1 to 50 and doing PvE quests and raids which is a great thing and a major reason I backed it during KS. But I'd take DAOC's RvR progression system -- realm ranks, titles, points, and abilities -- over CU's BSC progression any day.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Hothlove said:
    - Server-based physics
    - Skill crafting

This is a very important list, and everyone should study it.

CU is DAoC for the new age: destructible buildings, emphasis on crafting as in current survival games, player-changed world. Advances in tech bring new physics and a huge increase in possible players per fight.

Nostalgia can be a good thing, but only if you're advancing into the future.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    meddyck said:
    Hothlove said:
    - Server-based physics
    - Skill crafting

*picture snipped*
    Most of your list is correct although one could debate whether some of them will ultimately prove to be good things or bad things.

However I'd take issue with including RvR progression on there. Yes CU doesn't require PvE grinding from 1 to 50 and doing PvE quests and raids which is a great thing and a major reason I backed it during KS. But I'd take DAOC's RvR progression system -- realm ranks, titles, points, and abilities -- over CU's BSC progression any day.
    I agree that innovative systems don't necessarily equal to better or more enjoyable ones. I'm confident that most of those things will make gameplay more interesting for a lot of players (A.I.R., creating skills with components, physics, etc.) while other, like the healing system, I'm not sure yet. But anyway I know CSE people are really perfectionist and won't hesitate to scrap a BSC feature if it really can't work properly with the rest or if it's not fun enough.

Concerning the DAoC progression for RvR, has CSE talked about having ranks or something as a reward for PvPing? Or any other kind of personal achievement/reward based on performances in PvP?
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Concerning the DAoC progression for RvR, has CSE talked about having ranks or something as a reward for PvPing? Or any other kind of personal achievement/reward based on performances in PvP?
    Besides cosmetics and vanity (titles/achievements), I doubt they want to reward much more than that, not to endanger the newbies!?
     W...aaagh?
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2016
    Will most of the games in early access on steam ever officially release? Yeah I'm looking at you DayZ.

Will Star Citizen ever release? lol

But in all seriousness, its hard with these kinds of things. Sure you want devs to take their time to make a good product but then it can end up like something like NMS and be meh or worse upon release.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if SC bombed?
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Albatroes said:

Wouldn't it be hilarious if SC bombed?
    @Albatroes I'm afraid It would be quite painful for us "the little ones", and for the future of crowdfunding...we might return even deeper back to dark ages, aka post - WoW recession.
     W...aaagh?
  • numaticnumatic Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Kyleran said:
    Actually the alpha testers play it regularly, and beta is supposedly "soon" but my guess is late 2017/early 2018 for first launch. 

This post aged like milk