Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Freedom Blooper Reel Released by Hosun Lee

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageFreedom Blooper Reel Released by Hosun Lee

City of Heroes News - Sometimes blasts from the past are a ton of fun. Hosun Lee has released what he calls the City of Heroes Freedom Blooper Reel that is a ton of fun for fans of the now-defunct title.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Alot of good that new "business model" did when those morons at NC$oft shut down a great game.
    Blaze_Rocker

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    They shut down both the game and the studio when superheroes had never been a hotter property and were still heating up. It boggles the mind why they didn't just greenlight the sequel that they'd already trademarked two years earlier.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    The game changed when they put in that AE mission creator thing.  95% of the zones/content went instantly unused and people just did farm missions.  Over and over and over and over...

The game was at it's best when they just introduced the Villain expansion...before the mission generator and that goofy level 1-20 area.
  • wingoodwingood Member UncommonPosts: 33

They shut down both the game and the studio when superheroes had never been a hotter property and were still heating up. It boggles the mind why they didn't just greenlight the sequel that they'd already trademarked two years earlier.

I agree. I never understood why they decided to shut the game down, especially with how popular the superhero genre has become over the past several years.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346

wingood said:

I agree. I never understood why they decided to shut the game down, especially with how popular the superhero genre has become over the past several years.

Because it was not profitable.
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited January 2017
    aliven said:

wingood said:

Because it was not profitable.

I keep hearing that and it makes as much sense today "as a whole" as it did back in 2012: NONE. Your statement of "Because it wasn't profitable" also doesn't address my statement regarding the sequel that was trademarked back in 2010.

NCsoft wouldn't let Paragon Studios make it. NCsoft also wouldn't fund another game the developers were working on already or offer any extra money to further develop CoH. Paragon Studios had nothing else to do but let the costs of running 'City of Heroes' continue to eat away at its revenue while operating under orders from NCsoft, which wouldn't give them any orders that would help sustain the business for the future. There were no layoffs or reductions in the salaries of existing employees and they wouldn't just put the game into maintenance mode (or whatever it's called) and let the game run with just a skeleton staff with no further development of new content.

Yes, the game was becoming less and less profitable as time went on, and Paragon Studios right along with it, but NCsoft was doing NOTHING to at least try and save either the game or the studio running it. The cost of running Paragon Studios, which ran CoH, was what was killing it. NCsoft could have tried to save the studio and CoH and yet they didn't. The only reason I can see as to why they wouldn't would be that they wanted it shut down. Why they wanted it shut down is something we may never fully understand.

The only thing I fully understand right now is that "it wasn't profitable" is a very old and tired excuse still used to explain why the favorite game of a lot of players just up and disappeared.

Post edited by Blaze_Rocker on

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 683
    I miss it. :(
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Aw, I was hoping for videos from the game. Oh well. Still looking for something that's just as much pure, simple fun. The DC hero games are dark, Marvel went with little toy isometric view heroes, and Champions Online seems artificial and restrictive somehow, or, well, it just doesn't have the same feel to it. CoH had something that made it immersive and comfortable despite seeing the same purse snatchers and gang members and all the other villains you'd defeated many times before. I wish someone would make a superhero game with a large world that was procedurally-generated and persistent. You could clean up an area and it would stay that way except for a rare new criminal arising or criminals from surrounding areas sneaking in. And have some good AI routines and clever ways to use them just when needed and otherwise save on server usage. And... ah well, I'm not getting paid and probably nobody who matters will notice this anyway.
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462

Aw, I was hoping for videos from the game. Oh well. Still looking for something that's just as much pure, simple fun. The DC hero games are dark, Marvel went with little toy isometric view heroes, and Champions Online seems artificial and restrictive somehow, or, well, it just doesn't have the same feel to it. CoH had something that made it immersive and comfortable despite seeing the same purse snatchers and gang members and all the other villains you'd defeated many times before. I wish someone would make a superhero game with a large world that was procedurally-generated and persistent. You could clean up an area and it would stay that way except for a rare new criminal arising or criminals from surrounding areas sneaking in. And have some good AI routines and clever ways to use them just when needed and otherwise save on server usage. And... ah well, I'm not getting paid and probably nobody who matters will notice this anyway.

Look into Valiance Online or City of Titans. :)