Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sandi Gardiner Stops Social Media Over Targeted Harrassment

Comments

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Talonsin said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    So, was July their lowest funding month ever at ~$896,000? It's funny to me that almost a million might be their lowest month. But wasn't Roberts saying they needed to average like $3,000,000 or something or be forced to downsize?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals
    They were certainly counting on this. Same month last year was also the weakest funding month. July 2015:  $917,744 

So it's around the same levels as last year when it comes to the weakest months.
    Also to note, wasn't Roberts who said that, it was Derek Smart.

You might want to check your "facts" before posting nonsense. Chris is the one who said he needs to be bringing in 2-3 million per month or not as many people can work on it.

Heres the quote

"Roberts scoffs at the notion that the company will run out of money before the final game is delivered. "It's not going to happen. We keep a pretty healthy cash reserve. We managed our expenses based on the revenue we bring in. We have our development timeline and we know what we're doing. We adjust. If I'm not bringing in $3 million or $2 million a month, we aren't going to have as many people working on it."

and the link

http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/8/31/9211969/what-the-hell-is-going-on-with-star-citizen

scroll down past the pic of derek and chris.
    What?  MaxBacon check his facts?  You are so silly

According to the refund-issue-which-cannot-be-named, CIG appeared to claim that 2/3rds of their money had already been spent.  

If you believe that, they have about a year's worth of operating capital.   Guess Squadron 42 better knock it out of the park.....

Even if it gets decent reviews I would assume most of the fan base would have bought it already. So if I were CIG I wouldn't really be planning on a huge chunk of change coming from a SQ42 release
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    MaxBacon said:
    For the ones claiming that this was all drama to justify cancelling Gamescon.... The Gamescon 2016 event page is Up: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15451-Gamescom-2016-Details
    Could you link all these posts where people said this drama was to justify cancelling their appearance please?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Talonsin said:
    Could you link all these posts where people said this drama was to justify cancelling their appearance please?
    I'm going to waste my time with you going towards all thread and finding all the posts, if you want it do it yourself, so here's the one i actually replied to: http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7014344/#Comment_7014344
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    edited August 2016
    Talonsin said:
    MaxBacon said:
    For the ones claiming that this was all drama to justify cancelling Gamescon.... The Gamescon 2016 event page is Up: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15451-Gamescom-2016-Details
     I'll admit I speculated that as a possible reason for this bullshit. Especially after recent leaks about the current state of the SQ42 came to light. 

I feel it will be the same old scripted non playable bs expect this time with the bar being set so high by recent games they'll be under the microscope big-time. If they do not have a good showing....nerds will stop pissing their money away on this bunk.
    MaxBacon said:
    Talonsin said:
    I'm going to waste my time with you going towards all thread and finding all the posts, if you want it do it yourself, so here's the one i actually replied to: http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7014344/#Comment_7014344
    So you ARE going to waste your time?  Did you forget the word NOT in there?

Also, like so many posters here, you imply there is this big drama that everyone is claiming this was done as an excuse to cancel their gamescom appearance.  You specifically said "for the ones claiming" which means more than one.  I only see one person claiming that on page 8 and you wait until you post 15+ more times and then address this one little comment on page 13 and imply it was done multiple times.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    This reminds me of what recently happened to Leslie Jones, one of the stars in the new Ghostbusters reboot. Reading some of the comments thrown at her made my stomach hurt. 

I know this will be a very unpopular opinion but the more I see horrible people that make attacks like this the more I think that some people can't be trusted with freedom of speech. Not sure if it's a generational thing, an empathy thing, or just a random thing that makes them feel like these people are public property and they are allowed to treat them like toilet paper. They're not, and you're not allowed to. It's disgusting.
      I'll admit I speculated that as a possible reason for this bullshit. Especially after recent leaks about the current state of the SQ42 came to light. 

To be fair, I assume this picture of text came from the SA forums and they have not been the most accurate group when it comes to posting insider information about SC.  I tend to ignore that stuff when I see it since it can never be proven.  Just some goon wanting to sound like a big shot who has insider information.

edited August 2016
    Leaks?! A list of rumors that came from DS after sharing it from the SA forums as the source was rooted at. "Leaks". I will be waiting for actual leaks that do not come from posts on the SA forums.

Talonsin said:
    So you ARE going to waste your time?  Did you forget the word NOT in there?

Also, like so many posters here, you imply there is this big drama that everyone is claiming this was done as an excuse to cancel their gamescom appearance.  You specifically said "for the ones claiming" which means more than one.  I only see one person claiming that on page 8 and you wait until you post 15+ more times and then address this one little comment on page 13 and imply it was done multiple times.
    NOT into going into the WHOLE thing looking for all the exact quotes, your person demands. I didn't say everyone. I didn't imply a big drama.

[mod edit]
    MaxBacon said:
    Talonsin said:
    I often wonder the same thing about you and Erillion.
    And i about you.
    But I dont post everyday and I say good and bad things about the game.  I like to think my mind is open to both sides of the argument.  You just see me post more against the game because negative threads get locked pretty fast around here so I am left to respond to mostly you fans who post lies like when you posted that Derek Smart started the whole "3 million per month" thing.

edited August 2016
    Talonsin said:
    But I dont post everyday and I say good and bad things about the game.  I like to think my mind is open to both sides of the argument.  You just see me post more against the game because negative threads get locked pretty fast around here so I am left to respond to mostly you fans who post lies like when you posted that Derek Smart started the whole "3 million per month" thing.
    My mind is also open on both sides of the argument, if we are talking about the game of course, however the big majority of the time is about the backers and CIG, always about the company never  about the game. Have you posted something positive on SC recently?... all i've seen from you is negativity.,

DS started the whole 3M month thing, he made the claims on how much they were burning per month and how much money they had left (to claim the company was about to collapse) before the interview, and on it CR does not imply directly those are the real costs they have... as the claim done does not mirror on the current reality of SC/CIG as the funding numbers are public to everyone to see and no downsize has ever happened by not reaching the 3M mark during this whole year, yet with more costs than before.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    MaxBacon said:

[mod edit]
    So theyre going to get the 5 guys who stream SC exclusively on twitch to come to gamescon? I suspect they will use player funds to help get them there as they surely arent making any money streaming that game.

But if its all about Star Citizen proper and more hype and non verified story telling and not a full blown experience of SQ 42 its meaningless. It should be 99% about SQ 42 at this point, and it would be if SQ 42 was in any way shape or form in a presentable state, which most will speculate it is not.

If they really wanted to surprise and shock people they would have a full playable and lets say 80% complete version of SQ 42 there for everyone to play/experience. Especially if they plan on having it out even by the end of next year. Because to think if they dont have something right now that is even a barebones playable demo they will have something retail ready in 15 months is beyond naive.

I personally suspect they will try not ot mention SQ 42 at all and will skirt any and all questions about it and try and keep it on the usual dog and pony show and say "oh look over here at this and what we plan on doing (with no deadline and in who knows what aspect of the game) and with no real reason to believe they can do it in the first place.

I said it when they drew the line in the sand and made the MVP comments then the SQ 42 focus rant. They had better make sure its all about SQ 42 going forward and make a clear distinction betwen that and whatever other semantics game they want to play as to what SC proper will be.

because right now that is their favorite thing to do if you use Star Citizen (as a generic term) they then ultra focus on SQ 42, Star marine (yes again) and then a plethora of 'versions' of what the star citizen MMO/universe/shard/core game will be. Basically Star Citizen as they first described it does not and will not exist and it will end up being that whatever they produce ''well thats not Star Citizen" thats xxx. its the perfect long con because they can produce generic space sims and call them something and claim theyre helping to shape the Star Citizen experience and never have to actually deliver something specifically identifiable as Star Citizen itself. (I have said all this before too so its nothing new).
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    MaxBacon said:
    Talonsin said:
    My mind is also open on both sides of the argument, if we are talking about the game of course, however the big majority of the time is about the backers and CIG, always about the company never  about the game. Have you posted something positive on SC recently?... all i've seen from you is negativity.,

DS started the whole 3M month thing, he made the claims on how much they were burning per month and how much money they had left (to claim the company was about to collapse) before the interview, and on it CR does not imply directly those are the real costs they have... as the claim done does not mirror on the current reality of SC/CIG as the funding numbers are public to everyone to see and no downsize has ever happened by not reaching the 3M mark during this whole year, yet with more costs than before.

Just for the record, I posted my numbers back in September 2015. Not sure when these other numbers are from, but I will take credit for DS and CR copying me if they quoted that after the fact.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Talonsin said:

Just for the record, I posted my numbers back in September 2015. Not sure when these other numbers are from, but I will take credit for DS and CR copying me if they quoted that after the fact.
    Careful you might be accused of being DS then
    MaxBacon said:
    Talonsin said:

So Derek started the whole 3M a month thing and then later on Chris confirmed it? So what you are saying is that Derek Smart was right about that. If he was right about their finances then he must be right about a lot of other things about this project. I mean if you're going to continue to try and twist things to make this all about Derek then why can't the rest of us have some fun with it too? 

So shall we continue down the road that Derek Smart was correct and is probably correct about a lot of other things he is claiming or should you just man up and admit you were wrong?
    Kefo said:
    So Derek started the whole 3M a month thing and then later on Chris confirmed it? So what you are saying is that Derek Smart was right about that. If he was right about their finances then he must be right about a lot of other things about this project. I mean if you're going to continue to try and twist things to make this all about Derek then why can't the rest of us have some fun with it too? 
    DS speculated that the company spent at least +3M /mo, he didn't based himself of any facts or sources yet estimating based on the number of employees / studios and outsourced projects SC maintained. CR later talks about 2-3 /mo on an interview. 

As the popular saying goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Specially with the amount of claims and speculation involved.

CrazKanuk said:
    Both were made before yours.
  • LleithLleith Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Talonsin said:
    MaxBacon said:

I feel it will be the same old scripted non playable bs expect this time with the bar being set so high by recent games they'll be under the microscope big-time. If they do not have a good showing....nerds will stop pissing their money away on this bunk.
    Hilarious. 
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I personally suspect they will try not ot mention SQ 42 at all and will skirt any and all questions about it and try and keep it on the usual dog and pony show and say "oh look over here at this and what we plan on doing (with no deadline and in who knows what aspect of the game) and with no real reason to believe they can do it in the first place.
    I feel similarly.

Even something basic like leaving and re-entering a ship in space is terribly bugged. I clip through the geometry more often than not. In most cases, it is a game breaking experience and I have to restart.

If even the core things like that aren't working, any cohesive single player experience is still likely far away.
    edited August 2016
    laxie said:
    it is a game breaking experience and I have to restart.
    On clipping through something? The default hotkey for that is Alt+Backspace

Also there is no need to speculate on SQ42 for GC as they already talked pretty much about what to expect, PG and possibly SM.

SQ42 will likely be for Citizencon, as last year.
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    DS speculated that the company spent at least +3M /mo, he didn't based himself of any facts or sources yet estimating based on the number of employees / studios and outsourced projects SC maintained. CR later talks about 2-3 /mo on an interview. 

As the popular saying goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Specially with the amount of claims and speculation involved.

CrazKanuk said:
    Both were made before yours.
    Do you have proof that he didn't base it on facts or sources or is this something that you are just making up? Even if he did make it all up as you claim that's a pretty damn good guess, really almost spot on. So again if he was able to nail down that number then what else has he been right about?

You can try to dismiss it as much as you like but you are just digging yourself a nice hole and they more you try to twist reality to suit your bias the deeper you go.
    Kefo said:
    You can try to dismiss it as much as you like but you are just digging yourself a nice hole and they more you try to twist reality to suit your bias the deeper you go.
    I'm not going to continue any discussion if you continue using it to attack me.

If you're willing to remove the baiting i'm all up for giving you the links and sources for what you asked.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Avarix said:
    This reminds me of what recently happened to Leslie Jones, one of the stars in the new Ghostbusters reboot. Reading some of the comments thrown at her made my stomach hurt. 

I know this will be a very unpopular opinion but the more I see horrible people that make attacks like this the more I think that some people can't be trusted with freedom of speech. Not sure if it's a generational thing, an empathy thing, or just a random thing that makes them feel like these people are public property and they are allowed to treat them like toilet paper. They're not, and you're not allowed to. It's disgusting.
    It's likely a combination of anonymity and social mirroring.

People feel less responsible for their actions, the more anonymous the setting. Given the growth of social media, Internet is becoming a less and less personal experience. With millions of people on Twitter, it's tempting to feel you are completely anonymous (and that your actions don't impact real people).

The second part is interesting. The more you see people do something, the more OK it feels. 10 years ago, death threats were not widely common. If a product made you unhappy, sending vile mail would not be the first choice. Today thousands of YouTube comments are "kill yourself". If you teleported the same offensive kids from today to 10 years ago, chances are they would not post this at all - it would not be the norm.

If you are up for a read, there is a really interesting article on mass shootings in the USA, by Malcolm Gladwell: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/10/19/thresholds-of-violence

He is saying the more of these shootings happen, the more likely "average" people are to join in. This is a huge issue, as it is like an avalanche. I'd say the underlying concept is similar to Internet toxicity.

MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    I'm not going to continue any discussion if you continue using it to attack me.

If you're willing to remove the baiting i'm all up for giving you the links and sources for what you asked.
    Lol you can choose to do whatever you want. I'm not sure what links will help you with your argument except giving me and others more information to prove just how wrong and biased you are.
    edited August 2016
    Kefo said:
    Lol you can choose to do whatever you want. I'm not sure what links will help you with your argument except giving me and others more information to prove just how wrong and biased you are.
    Actually for your question i can give you the source and link yes. However you are clearly using this discussion as a means to attack me, it's not about the topic... it's about the poster. So, if you want go do your own searching on it, it's not that easy to find but you can dig it up. Meanwhile, feel free to continue attacking me if that makes you feel happy...
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    Actually for your question i can give you the source and link yes. However you are clearly using this discussion as a means to attack me, it's not about the topic... it's about the poster. So, if you want go do your own searching on it, it's not that easy to find but you can dig it up. Meanwhile, feel free to continue attacking me if that makes you feel happy...
    I already posted the link where Roberts says they need 2-3 million a month or not as many people can work on it. I don't need you to post links unless you are using it to reinforce your position that Derek Smart is right in which case feel free to post the links all you want.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I look forward to the day when the internet will be properly policed and regulated. It's as inevitable as the eventual demise of the "Wild West" was back in the day...

No civilised society tolerates chaos and lawlessness indefinitely.

It was much more wild west before www came about.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"