Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting Review of NMS from Forbes.

Comments

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    edited August 2016
    Sounds about right. I enjoy my time playing, but I can see it easily being displaced by other things coming out soon, butI can also see picking it up occasionally when I just want veg out. The one thing it has going for it PS4-wise is a small field of competition. There just aren't many space sims for it. Rebel Galaxy was offered up free on PS Plus. It's more of a classic rogue space-themed shooter, but it has a big problem: it looks 3D, but in reality everything is horizontal and it feels like skating on an invisible pizza.
  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Scottgun said:
    Sounds about right. I enjoy my time playing, but I can see it easily being displaced by other things coming out soon, butI can also see picking it up occasionally when I just want veg out. The one thing it has going for it PS4-wise is a small field of competition. There just aren't many space sims for it. Rebel Galaxy was offered up free on PS Plus. It's more of a classic rogue space-themed shooter, but it has a big problem: it looks 3D, but in reality everything is horizontal and it feels like skating on an invisible pizza.
    Have you played the game?  Because I have and its nothing like what you described.  

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/rebel-galaxy/cid=UP0224-CUSA02381_00-REBELGALAXY00000

It is not a rogue space-themed shooter, its not rogue like at all, its similar to Freelancer in gameplay.  Yes your ship confined to a 2d plain, but it defiantly does not "feel like skating on an invisible pizza box" the controls are tight with the ships feeling like they have mass.  
    edited August 2016
    Yes I played the game. Yes, I probably categorized the genre wrong (Freelancer or Privateer was what I was going for). No, I can't get over the 2D and am baffled that a space game these days would do this and not be an app game (which is kind of ironic considering Galaxy on Fire 2 HD). But maybe I'll try a little more considering the price was right. :)

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Scottgun said:
    Yes I played the game. Yes, I probably categorized the genre wrong. No, I can't get over the 2D and am baffled that a space game would do this. But maybe I'll try a little more considering the price was right. :)

It's currently free for PS+ subscribers.
    edited August 2016
    It's currently free for PS+ subscribers.
    Yep. That's what I meant. :D
    Ya know what? I played a little more Rebel Galaxy and I changed my mind and rather enjoy it. I get the 2D thing now. Namely, that you are a capital ship using broadsides and 3D would make it very difficult.