Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has CCP business-plan become one of profiteering off paranoia, greed and malevolence?

13»

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    "Trust no one" is nonsense. "Learn who to trust, how to trust, and how much to trust them" is a much better rule. It's virtually impossible to play EVE without trusting other players. I do OK because I'm in a group that I can trust. I routinely trust them with considerable sums. Only on Tuesday I made an unsecured courier contract for 3.5B of loot and I am 99.999% confident it will be delivered.

In fact now I check, it has been delivered, just like the dozens of similar courier contracts I have made while in The Initiative. At a rough guess, I'd say I have trusted our crop logi guy with well over 50B of stuff over the years, with very little concern other than the possibility of him losing the freighter and thus my cargo.
    What I don't do is trust anyone with my entire asset value, or even a large fraction of it. There is never any need to do this, and being asked to do it would be a huge red flag. Consequently I lead a happy carefree life where I routinely lend people capital ships or make large unsecured courier contracts and I have only ever been let down once since 2009.

And I might add, the person who got a billion ISK off me wasn't a PvPer, but an industrialist.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Malcanis said:
    "Trust no one" is nonsense. "Learn who to trust, how to trust, and how much to trust them" is a much better rule. It's virtually impossible to play EVE without trusting other players. I do OK because I'm in a group that I can trust. I routinely trust them with considerable sums. Only on Tuesday I made an unsecured courier contract for 3.5B of loot and I am 99.999% confident it will be delivered.

In fact now I check, it has been delivered, just like the dozens of similar courier contracts I have made while in The Initiative. At a rough guess, I'd say I have trusted our crop logi guy with well over 50B of stuff over the years, with very little concern other than the possibility of him losing the freighter and thus my cargo.
    What I don't do is trust anyone with my entire asset value, or even a large fraction of it. There is never any need to do this, and being asked to do it would be a huge red flag. Consequently I lead a happy carefree life where I routinely lend people capital ships or make large unsecured courier contracts and I have only ever been let down once since 2009.

And I might add, the person who got a billion ISK off me wasn't a PvPer, but an industrialist.
    The 'problem' with EVE is that its now 'cool' to be the bad guy. Every 'mainstream' press story to come out about the game revolved around some person or corp destroying or stealing X amount of 'real world' dollars from a virtual world. So now everyone wants to be the next headline.

Eve stop being playable a long time ago for that simple reason. The changes to the approach and direction of the game just made it easier to leave.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    rodarin said:
    The 'problem' with EVE is that its now 'cool' to be the bad guy. Every 'mainstream' press story to come out about the game revolved around some person or corp destroying or stealing X amount of 'real world' dollars from a virtual world. So now everyone wants to be the next headline.

Eve stop being playable a long time ago for that simple reason. The changes to the approach and direction of the game just made it easier to leave.
    The game has not changed, the headlines did.
  • VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    I have said something similar about this being the most toxic environment in gaming . Leave and hope the worst of the worst online gamers stay in Eve for ever.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Vasel said:
    I have said something similar about this being the most toxic environment in gaming . Leave and hope the worst of the worst online gamers stay in Eve for ever.
    No matter how many times you say it, you are still wrong.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I'm sure it's a coincidence that the people who complain the loudest about how "toxic" EVE is are almost always rather abusive, insulting and unlikeable.

rodarin said:
    Malcanis said:

And yet I can still play it. How do you resolve this apparent paradox?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Malcanis said:
    rodarin said:
    Malcanis said:

And yet I can still play it. How do you resolve this apparent paradox?
    Alternate universe? I manage to play it too somehow...but then again people tell me I'm 'special' like that ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon