Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something I hope...

2»

Comments

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Good ideas, I just thought I should bring up the kiting issues since I didn't see it mentioned. I never played a mmo that I couldn't kite in yet.
    I'm not even against there be no kiting at all. I just think it would be nice to see a mob dispel a root or perhaps even root you. If a mob has a range attack, maybe running perpendicular decreases their accuracy. Maybe accuracy is effected by range so there is a sweet spot at maximum cast range that you want to stay in to avoid getting destroyed - so instead of running ahead and casting a huge nuke, you want to run ahead and use a faster nuke to keep your distance.

Anything but just allowing mobs to be killed in a trivial manner as games have allowed for so long.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kiting.  It nearly broke the very early EQ.  Those that could kite were level 40.  Those that couldn't were level 15.  It was within a hair width of becoming the predominant playing style, until the DoTs (and pets) were balanced.

I'd rather approach the issue a bit differently.  Fundamentally, kiting involves running away from an opponent.  I think I'd beef up the mobs to recognize some was trying to kite them, and have the mob start calling them.  "Coward!  Run away some more, <player name?!  Can't stand up in a fight like a real orc/gnoll/lizardman/demonslug".  Of course, some of these taunts would occur in a zone-wide broadcast to let everyone know that the mobs were derisive of the player's tactics.  (Then they would recruit 3-7 friends to hunt the coward.)  ((With more taunting, of course)).

I don't recall anything preventing the mobs from employing a bit of psychological warfare. or is there?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• FollowthislogicFollowthislogic Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Mendel said:
    Kiting.  It nearly broke the very early EQ.  Those that could kite were level 40.  Those that couldn't were level 15.  It was within a hair width of becoming the predominant playing style, until the DoTs (and pets) were balanced.

I'd rather approach the issue a bit differently.  Fundamentally, kiting involves running away from an opponent.  I think I'd beef up the mobs to recognize some was trying to kite them, and have the mob start calling them.  "Coward!  Run away some more, <player name?!  Can't stand up in a fight like a real orc/gnoll/lizardman/demonslug".  Of course, some of these taunts would occur in a zone-wide broadcast to let everyone know that the mobs were derisive of the player's tactics.  (Then they would recruit 3-7 friends to hunt the coward.)  ((With more taunting, of course)).

I don't recall anything preventing the mobs from employing a bit of psychological warfare. or is there?
    Yeah once my brother a wizard could quad kite he left my ranger in the dust I forget the exact levels but was so much slower for ranger class until you could get job as pet kite puller which wasn't super simple cause connections were bad back than and could only control so many with snare and dot a tuff repop would take me out.  

The psychological warfare would be fun
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Further to Dullahan's point, I think that the more mobs a player has dotted, slowed or rooted at one time, the greater the chance those spells will break or have diminished effects. So for example, if you try to kite 4 mobs (and that number is just to have a number to discuss), there is then an increased chance that one of those mobs will break loose and come beat on you, or that the dots will start having only, say, a 25% effect. 

I think there is a place for kiting. But there ought to be some built in limitations also. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    The only problem I have with kiting is its dependence on a greater problem - weak mob AI.  Kiting relies on a mob being too stupid to realize "Hey this guy is just pulling me in a circle.  I cant catch him so I should just leave".  Inventive use of skills and movement should not be discouraged, but the mob's incredible stupidity really is a shame on developers.
    The kiting stuff started with me just trying poke holes in realistic run speed on AI. It seems we mostly agree if say you take a Treant our characters should all be able to out run a tree but to make up for lack of runspeed give the tree a root, have it throw branches or summon some faster saplings?

One more idea maybe you have a super slow melee treant but it has a way extend its melee reach to compensate.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited August 2016
    EQ has lots of mechanics to fight kiting.
    summoning mobs
    long spell cast times for the hard hitting spells
    casting mobs
    rooting mobs
    dots not as high dps as other attacks

IIRC Vanguard caused your runspeed to drop while casting plus you had to turn to be facing the mobs both when you start the cast and at the end of cast. 
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Amathe said:
    Further to Dullahan's point, I think that the more mobs a player has dotted, slowed or rooted at one time, the greater the chance those spells will break or have diminished effects. So for example, if you try to kite 4 mobs (and that number is just to have a number to discuss), there is then an increased chance that one of those mobs will break loose and come beat on you, or that the dots will start having only, say, a 25% effect. 

I think there is a place for kiting. But there ought to be some built in limitations also. 
    I actually prefer a sort of focus or concentration concept along these lines.  Spells with durations shouldn't just be fire and forget, imho, but require some type of focus cost(at least) or require some type of activity on the player's part.

Net result being the same.  If you spread multiple snares/roots or whatever around, your focus weakens and so do the spells.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Lokero said:
    Amathe said:

I actually prefer a sort of focus or concentration concept along these lines.  Spells with durations shouldn't just be fire and forget, imho, but require some type of focus cost(at least) or require some type of activity on the player's part.

Net result being the same.  If you spread multiple snares/roots or whatever around, your focus weakens and so do the spells.
    I was about to suggest the exact same thing @Lokero. The more of a particular debuff you have on mobs, the less powerful each debuff becomes and the increased chance of a root, snare or dot wearing off.