Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is It Just TOO Chill? - No Man's Sky Column

1235»

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

The goal is to work your way to the center of the galaxy.  No one I starting near the center, everyone should be started on the outer rim of the galaxy, or around about there. 

We don't know how many galaxies there, or how large each one is. 

No one needs to "fake" anything.  It's irrelevant. 

Two players were started in the same area of space, close enough that one of them managed to find another players planet. 

Finding another player isn't the issue, not seeing each other is. 

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited August 2016

Murray went into further detail in a blog post on the No Man's Sky website, warning that the game may not be for some what they "imagined" the game to be based on its trailers.

"If you hoped for things like pvp multiplayer or city building, piloting freighters, or building civilizations… that isn’t what [No Man's Sky] is. Over time it might become some of those things through updates," Murray wrote, explaining that owning freighters and the ability to build bases are on the way.

Murray did go on to elaborate that, while No Man's Sky may not be those things, it is "an infinite procedural sci-fi-space-survival-sandbox... and it’s a very very chill game."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/08/no-mans-sky-is-not-a-multiplayer-game-hello-games-founder-says

That sounds good, but he's got it backwards.  By the time all that stuff arrives, everyone will have left, and then the environment, and the game, will be empty.

He should've designed it with the community in mind in the first place.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

No, you can't see the wood for the trees, as usual...

You dreamed-up TWO possible explanations for how the encounter could have been faked.

I said that the "how" is irrelevant.

Tbh, I'm not interested in your wacky conspiracy theories. I'm more interested in the questions that arise from this incident, regardless of whether it's genuine or faked.

Hello Games have been adamant that finding people will be very difficult and rare. That is the gaming equivalent of slapping someone through the face with a gauntlet and challenging them to a duel. Of course everyone will try their utmost to meet up after that, just to prove HG "wrong".

So far, HG has simply ignored this incident. They are either supremely confident of their position or staggeringly inept. Sony will no doubt be leaning on them hard if there's a potential bad outcome to this, because it will reflect on their PS4 business.
    and the thing is despite interacting with me three times on this, once to complain about something being off topic while ignore the item with is numbered and is on topic you STILL havent addressed......item 2 on my list directly.

2. If (like Elite) you can play in offline mode then its completely possible to fake this

addresss number 2 above directly in detail or stop repllying to me
    Yes, it would be possible to fake this by:
    1. concocting an elaborate scheme to arrange a fake meeting of two streamers
    2. fake the invisibility by playing in offline mode

I've humoured you, now tell me WHY you think anyone would bother to fake this ? Have you secretly become a NMS defender while I wasn't looking ? :D
    that does not directly address:

2. If (like Elite) you can play in offline mode then its completely possible to fake this

does this game have an offline mode on it yes or not?

it is statistically near impossible for what is stated to have happened and its statistically EXTREEMLY likely that what I described in number 1 did happen. Why is often a mystery to me but I watched a movie about trolling and I got to say some of these people just do it just to see if they can get away with it no other reason.

I don't care if they faked it or not, to me that's irrelevant.

You don't have the foggiest clue what the statistical probability of a chance meeting is in NMS.

You don't know how many players there are.
    You don't know how many galaxies there are in the NMS universe.
    You don't know how many planets there are in a galaxy.
    You don't know the travel times between systems.
    You don't know the average number of planets visited by players per hour.
    You don't know the starting location distribution mechanism.

You are making a wild guess based on grossly inaccurate assumptions. Give it up.
    first you say you dont care
    then you talk about it as if you do care
    then you never bother to say what you do care about.

tell me what you care about and I will try to address it otherwise just stop replying about something you dont care about. I know enough about math and the size of our own galaxy  to know its stastically impossible for someone to have found a named planet within a few days of playing a game, AND that person just happens to be a streamer as well. its almost impossible and YES i know enough to know that.

Your knowledge of our galaxy is irrelevant to NMS.

Unlike Elite:Dangerous, NMS is not an attempt to model our galaxy. The make-up of galaxies in NMS is informed by the need to create an entertaining game, therefore the distribution and types of planets in each star system does not reflect reality at all.

NMS does not attempt to reflect reality, therefore your knowledge of reality has no relevance in NMS.

DUDE!

please read carefully

either tell me directly what it is you want to talk about or please for the love of god stop talking about something you yourself have said twice now is not relevant. or better yet just stop replying to my posts please! one of the two.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

observer said:

Murray went into further detail in a blog post on the No Man's Sky website, warning that the game may not be for some what they "imagined" the game to be based on its trailers.

"If you hoped for things like pvp multiplayer or city building, piloting freighters, or building civilizations… that isn’t what [No Man's Sky] is. Over time it might become some of those things through updates," Murray wrote, explaining that owning freighters and the ability to build bases are on the way.

Murray did go on to elaborate that, while No Man's Sky may not be those things, it is "an infinite procedural sci-fi-space-survival-sandbox... and it’s a very very chill game."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/08/no-mans-sky-is-not-a-multiplayer-game-hello-games-founder-says

That sounds good, but he's got it backwards.  By the time all that stuff arrives, everyone will have left, and then the environment, and the game, will be empty.

and why should anyone wait to build a base when they can do that now in space engineers is what I dont get and I have no doubt someone is going to say 'because its not procedurally generated' 'yes it is' 'well I mean to that scale and it doesnt have flowers'

I cant wait for all this NMS to go away

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

You dreamed-up TWO possible explanations for how the encounter could have been faked.

Tbh, I'm not interested in your wacky conspiracy theories. I'm more interested in the questions that arise from this incident, regardless of whether it's genuine or faked.

Hello Games have been adamant that finding people will be very difficult and rare. That is the gaming equivalent of slapping someone through the face with a gauntlet and challenging them to a duel. Of course everyone will try their utmost to meet up after that, just to prove HG "wrong".

So far, HG has simply ignored this incident. They are either supremely confident of their position or staggeringly inept. Sony will no doubt be leaning on them hard if there's a potential bad outcome to this, because it will reflect on their PS4 business.
    and the thing is despite interacting with me three times on this, once to complain about something being off topic while ignore the item with is numbered and is on topic you STILL havent addressed......item 2 on my list directly.

Yes, it would be possible to fake this by:
    1. concocting an elaborate scheme to arrange a fake meeting of two streamers
    2. fake the invisibility by playing in offline mode

I've humoured you, now tell me WHY you think anyone would bother to fake this ? Have you secretly become a NMS defender while I wasn't looking ? :D
    that does not directly address:

does this game have an offline mode on it yes or not?

it is statistically near impossible for what is stated to have happened and its statistically EXTREEMLY likely that what I described in number 1 did happen. Why is often a mystery to me but I watched a movie about trolling and I got to say some of these people just do it just to see if they can get away with it no other reason.

I don't care if they faked it or not, to me that's irrelevant.

You don't have the foggiest clue what the statistical probability of a chance meeting is in NMS.

You don't know how many players there are.
    You don't know how many galaxies there are in the NMS universe.
    You don't know how many planets there are in a galaxy.
    You don't know the travel times between systems.
    You don't know the average number of planets visited by players per hour.
    You don't know the starting location distribution mechanism.

You are making a wild guess based on grossly inaccurate assumptions. Give it up.
    first you say you dont care
    then you talk about it as if you do care
    then you never bother to say what you do care about.

tell me what you care about and I will try to address it otherwise just stop replying about something you dont care about. I know enough about math and the size of our own galaxy  to know its stastically impossible for someone to have found a named planet within a few days of playing a game, AND that person just happens to be a streamer as well. its almost impossible and YES i know enough to know that.

Your knowledge of our galaxy is irrelevant to NMS.

Unlike Elite:Dangerous, NMS is not an attempt to model our galaxy. The make-up of galaxies in NMS is informed by the need to create an entertaining game, therefore the distribution and types of planets in each star system does not reflect reality at all.

NMS does not attempt to reflect reality, therefore your knowledge of reality has no relevance in NMS.

DUDE!

please read carefully

either tell me directly what it is you want to talk about or please for the love of god stop talking about something you yourself have said twice now is not relevant. or better yet just stop replying to my posts please! one of the two.

I will reply to any and all posts that warrant reactions. Your feelings about it are of no consequence to me.

The only reason why you don't know what I'm talking about is because you're more interested in repeating your own posts than in reading the content of mine. That's fine too, at least some other readers seem to be getting some benefit from my efforts.
    edited August 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

I will reply to any and all posts that warrant reactions. Your feelings about it are of no consequence to me.

The only reason why you don't know what I'm talking about is because you're more interested in repeating your own posts than in reading the content of mine. That's fine too, at least some other readers seem to be getting some benefit from my efforts.
    and you STILL have not yet told me what it is you feel IS relevant and what you want to talk about. Its making me think you are just being intentionally disruptive. (actually I have felt that is what you are doing a long time ago to be fair)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:

You cannot play Elite offline. I looked to see if this had changed since they changed their mind on this advertised feature. They have not. Elite requires you to be online.
    to be clear its 'solo' mode vs 'open play' I think it is .

yes you can play in essence 'offline' but your actions are being data collected. or you can play 'online' meaning you can interact with other players AND your data is being collected. I just dont know what the two versions are called.

but now that after about 15 pages or so we have at least gotten focus we can now debate over symanitcs no doubt.

SEANMCAD said:

You could always be pro-active and avoid reading and posting in NMS threads if it causes you so much distress.

I'm sure we could manage on our own... :D
  • RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Geting back to the point of this thread,
    I have watched alot of videos on this game and i fail to see what all the hype is all about, yes you can rename stuff and craft stuff but apart from that it looks like it will get old real fast.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    so can you find other players and party with them or not?

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    SEANMCAD said:
    observer said:

and why should anyone wait to build a base when they can do that now in space engineers is what I dont get and I have no doubt someone is going to say 'because its not procedurally generated' 'yes it is' 'well I mean to that scale and it doesnt have flowers'

Why do you insist on going on and on about space engineers? Please just add that you like it to your sig and move on.

For someone that is riding others about things, you seem to have quite a few items you bring up, over, and over, and over,  that get old as well. 

I can't wait for you to stop mentioning space engineers in NMS threads....

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Wake me up when this is in the < $20 bin.

Looks okay to play for a few hours a couple of times when I'm bored and that's about it. No Man's Sky has less content and less interesting NPCs than even your typical themepark MMO.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Sean Murray said MP was part of the game in various interviews before it was released.  Was he just outright lying?  Because a game like this that promised MP and doesn't deliver - is going to crash and burn so hard when people find out they were straight up lied to.
    time007 said:
    There is no conclusive proof at this point that you either can or can't.

Someone claimed that they used a packet-sniffer to analyse NMS network traffic on the PS4 and found no evidence that the client even sends positional data to the server, making it impossible to meet with anyone. They claim that NMS does not currently support multiplayer functionality, because they couldn't find any sign of such support in the packet data.

Shortly after that two game streamers claimed that they went to the same location ingame and couldn't see each other.

But given that the game has only been out for two days, there is a remote possibility that console players haven't in fact discovered everything there is to know about NMS.

All questions will be answered once the game launches on PC, because then the people with real brains will be playing the game ! :D :D :D
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

Well Jim Sterling gave it a 5/10 because it was too chill. His website is being DDoS'd in response to the review but you can see it via https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4x2a78/jim_sterling_gives_no_mans_sky_a_510/

http://www.thejimquisition.com/no-mans-sky-review/ its up now.

Jim didn't say it was too chill. He said it was just another average survival/crafting game that used randomization as a crutch to the point of losing all potential personality and that there wasn't enough to do.

NMS is like a pretty looking interactive painting with no substance underneath.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Wouldn't say chill, been watching summit1g play it for several hours over two days and he was just doing the same thing on every plant.

Land > harvest > top up shit > repeat.

There was nothing that stood out on the planets, can understand that every plant can't have something going on, but every planet seems dull :(. Needs more hostile creatures, hostile plants, planets that make you crap yourself, example a planet in complete darkness or something, but have rare shit on it. in-depth ship and player customization, just anything imaginative.

From watching and how summit felt, the game felt like once you seen one planet, you've seen them all. Is there a really reason to explore?
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Teala said:
    Sean Murray said MP was part of the game in various interviews before it was released.  Was he just outright lying?  Because a game like this that promised MP and doesn't deliver - is going to crash and burn so hard when people find out they were straight up lied to.
    Well what ones claims in multiplayer is debatable. What does HE consider multiplayer?  Cause at the moment the game does not even have to connect / be online to play. And since the servers are constantly going up and down on the PS4 and you never even notice it unless you are going to upload some data on discoveries and it says unable to connect to server.

There's zero chance this game has multiplayer in the sense that you can play with other players and see them move around and such.

When a developer says that you won't even be able to tell if its a player or a npc that alone tells me that theres no realtime multiplayer.  Non realtime multiplayer does exist in the sense that I can upload my discoveries and you will see said discoveries in your game if you manage to find the same area, ect.

There will never be a time where you can group up and get with a group of friends and build a base and fight ageanst other players. Cause at that point the game would be a MMO and the devs have said they have no desire to build a mmo.  How would that work out when all the info is stored in a central database and you want to play with your friends.. Who runs the server? Is NMS going to run the server? Is it just whoever is first in the area is the server? Also how is chat going to work when the game has no built in chat system at all..
  • DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198
    TimEisen said:
    time007 said:
    It's...complicated? Also great name!
    No it is not. Very simple answer... NO.

This was absolutely clear a year ago when I first read about this game and therefor generated 0 interest with me. I don't understand why people are confused. Did the developer intentionally make this less clear closer to release? It was the lead developer who was interviewed that I read. It was clear zero multiplayer. And it was probably on this site that I read it. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Deasant said:
    TimEisen said:
    time007 said:
    It's...complicated? Also great name!
    No it is not. Very simple answer... NO.

This was absolutely clear a year ago when I first read about this game and therefor generated 0 interest with me. I don't understand why people are confused. Did the developer intentionally make this less clear closer to release? It was the lead developer who was interviewed that I read. It was clear zero multiplayer. And it was probably on this site that I read it. 
    Well no.  The developer muddied the water with his comments.  

Also there is hope that they could develop this game in to so much more.  They have the baseline for something remarkable with another year or two dev time.