Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I loved today's Dev Diary

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
http://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2016_august_patch_notes_peek/

It shows their latest patch notes. The game is certainly coming along, and I like the tone of the notes. It reminds me of my EQ days. Fun people make fun games. 

Edited to remove 3 usages of the term "really." But hey, I was excited. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    I just cant overcome the graphics, i hope they will improve. I love the concept arts.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited August 2016
    By graphics I'm guessing you mean placeholder assets like char models. This is a screen from the patch notes Amathe posted.

httppantheonmmocomimages2016-august-2jpg

Environmental graphics are more than adequate for me.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I mean these, if they are placeholder and will improve until launch, thats ok.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Graphics are fine, if you're worried about graphics I can almost guarantee you wont like this game.
    Other than the weird pose those orcs are in and the nameplates which still look off to me, I think the above screens look fantastic.

Dullahan said:
    Other than the weird pose those orcs are in and the nameplates which still look off to me, I think the above screens look fantastic.
    Well, that are only screens and mybe they will improve the graphics a bit more, so that i can overcome the graphics, the game itself sounds very interesting and promising. :D

- Albert Einstein

• Raidan_EQRaidan_EQ Member UncommonPosts: 247

Yeah, the screens look fine - especially on 4k resolution.  And most if not all the models are still placeholder. 

The nameplates are distracting though - I'd agree those need some work.  Especially when they Super-Size on the close-up shots.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    • Fixed AoE spells that were causing splash damage to caster. As hilarious as it was to watch newbie wizards blow themselves up ultimately it was decided that this is not conducive to a welcoming environment.

Sorry I think this was the wrong decision. It could also help with:

• Unwanted items are now easier to delete. Unwanted bad groupmates are still your responsibility.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    edited August 2016
    • Fixed AoE spells that were causing splash damage to caster. As hilarious as it was to watch newbie wizards blow themselves up ultimately it was decided that this is not conducive to a welcoming environment.

Not that i follow this game but it just makes me sad that even games that try to bring back "the old days" put bumper raills all over the place.

I like the idea that whilst learning your spells you could damage yourself if you fuck up the casting (I know its not a feature of this implementation).

Even wow, which is broadly paraded as the easiest game ever  "allowed" Warlocks to hellfire them selves to death.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

Nitth said:

Not that i follow this game but it just makes me sad that even games that try to bring back "the old days" put bumper raills all over the place.

I like the idea that whilst learning your spells you could damage yourself if you fuck up the casting (I know its not a feature of this implementation).

Even wow, which is broadly paraded as the easiest game ever  "allowed" Warlocks to hellfire them selves to death.
    Yeah, this was exactly what I felt about the patch notes.  I realize you don't want FFA, but I think friendly-fire within your group should always exist, at least.

The possibility to damage yourself or your groupmates adds an element of strategy and forethought to gameplay that can't be replicated in any other way.  Great boom, great responsiblity.  It's also a good measuring stick for how competent your party members are --  like in EQ, when AoE users would break mez spells.

If you pick up an idiot who keeps blasting himself or the group, you simply give them the boot and move on.
    edited August 2016

Nitth said:

Not sure about bumper rails "all over the place."

This depends entirely on what the spell was supposed to do. If it was just a basic PBAE, then it probably shouldn't necessarily damage the caster.

If they are indeed removing any ability for a caster to harm themselves, then yes, that is a problem. Some of the most powerful area effects should be a threat to the caster if used improperly.

In this case I think they were just fixing a newbie spell that might have been an issue for new players.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

The permanently rooted skeleton needs to be put in game.

Permanently

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin