Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft Movie Loses Big Bucks Despite Chinese Revenue

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageWarcraft Movie Loses Big Bucks Despite Chinese Revenue

World of Warcraft News - According to a report at The Hollywood Reporter, the Warcraft movie will ultimately lose big money despite a strong showing in China. The US market for Warcraft is largely considered to have been a failure, generating only $46.6M as compared to China's $220.8M. Overall the film will likely lost about $15M with losses shared by Legendary Pictures, Universal and a trio of Chinese investors.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Ragnar!
  • yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    When will they learn. Game > movie adaptations always fail.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This movie had stupidly high production costs for a film without any A list talent. It brought in plenty of money. They just pissed it all away. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I agree with Jean

That 15m will be easily made up with dvd, blue ray and digital sales. Video on Demand will probably easily make that money up.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    This doesn't take into account the millions of Warcraft fans who will purchase the Blu-Ray disc...
    Don't worry, they'll still make a profit at the end.
    I hope so.  I actually enjoyed it.  
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Its so sad to see this but well... Hate to say but after opening night and opening weekend it was clear this movie would be lucky to make its money back.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    I'd love to see a sequel, wishfully fully animated.

So many good stories to tell.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

yaminsux said:

They need to make more warcraft movies I enjoyed it! So I hope they wont learn xD

• PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    WHAT a joke hahahaha

l2p

laserit said:
    You guys been saying this since opening weekend.  And here we are box office money is over and they are in the negative.  This movie is not going to make money.  They will be lucky to break even.  Or in 10 years they will be able to say they made 10 million off it.
    filmoret said:
    laserit said:
    You guys been saying this since opening weekend.  And here we are box office money is over and they are in the negative.  This movie is not going to make money.  They will be lucky to break even.  Or in 10 years they will be able to say they made 10 million off it.

You guys?

http://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/12882/how-much-of-a-films-revenue-comes-from-its-cinema-release

The Creative Skill Set website breaks it down in general for you:

Theatrical (ie. cinema) revenues only account for about 25% of the total revenues, with video (including DVD) taking about 40%; television accounting for 28% and ancillary revenues the final 7%.

The website goes on to say:

How Revenue Flows Through the Marketplace

The main revenue streams for filmed entertainment are:

• Theatrical exhibition
    • Video/DVD rental
    • Video/DVD retail (or sell-through)
    • Pay per View Television
    • Subscription or Pay Television
    • Free Television

The industry has created windows of exploitation to maximise revenues at each stage of the value chain and avoid any clashes in the marketplace. These windows are starting to close up as the non-theatrical streams start to eclipse the original release in terms of revenue generation (although the cinematic shop window still remains the main driver of revenues throughout the chain in most cases) but are roughly as indicated below:

• Theatric: 0 - 6 Months
    • Video/DVD: 6 - 15 Months
    • Pay Per View: 15 - 18
    • Months Pay TV: 18 - 30 Months
    • Free TV: 30 + Months

The website has a lot more information on how and who makes money from a film.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Well deserved. The movie is average at best.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    A movie needs to bring in about three times the production cost in order for it to start making an actual profit.  They probably already have factored in the DVD sales, as well as any other merchandise well before the movie went into physical production.  If it tanks at the box office or is mediocre then that is a bad thing.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'm not massively surprised.

Fantasy films have never been massively popular, it takes a truly great IP to bring in the crowds (like lotr) and warcraft doesn't have that. It may have gaming fans but outside of gaming it is unlikely the average person knows anything about warcraft at all, except there is a game called world of warcraft.

Beyond that, it seems like the classic mistake of taking a great world and forgetting to hire talented writers. From everything I've heard about this film, their biggest mistake was the script. Really shoddy storyline, plot holes, pointless characters and shitty dialogue seemed to have plagued the film and resulted in bad reviews, turning off people from taking a chance.

I'll still be buying it on DvD when it comes out as that'll be cheaper than the cinema, the film still contains some fun action sequences and I want to support fantasy films if I can. Also, I'm a fan of Travis Fimmel (Ragnar!) and from what I've heard, he was one of the few actors that actually managed to act well.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited August 2016
    sad really- was a really good vision-but poorly executed.
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628

yaminsux said:

Guess that means "Assassin's Creed" movie will fail also?
  • giberelinagiberelina Member UncommonPosts: 59

yaminsux said:

The problem is that they make bad movies. People don't like bad movies, it happens.
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    I play WoW but I wasnt interested in the movie.
    Benbrada said:

yaminsux said:

AC will make for a good movie.  The problem is general public aren't into fantasy.  They are into history, future and reality and AC series can hit both of those nails pretty solid.  That doesn't mean they will though but its like the next star wars movie.  Only a complete moron could mess it up.
    filmoret said:
    Benbrada said:

yaminsux said:

AC will make for a good movie.  The problem is general public aren't into fantasy.  They are into history, future and reality and AC series can hit both of those nails pretty solid.  That doesn't mean they will though but its like the next star wars movie.  Only a complete moron could mess it up.
    Could make for a great movie, I hope the screenplay doesn't suck.

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Well at least it wasn't a total disaster like Ghostbusters, the salty vagina edition. It hasn't been the best year for movies either. It's mostly been all boring sequels, but that seems to be all Hollywood can come up with lately. The fact that the highest domestic grossing film is an animated movie about a lost fish kind of tells you how the year has been for movies. I guess it's up to Star Wars to make up for the slow summer.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    It bothered me how much of the lore was revised or removed. Ner'zhul got removed and that really messes with the progression of a lot of future events already. There might still be room for the likes of Mannoroth to pop up, but it's already very much an alternative timeline to what the games and lore has been up to this point.

That can damage it for fans invested in the game's world already. Much like comics though, I'd kinda expect them to still collect and watch the movie and even a sequel out of the virtue of it's IP.

I mean we have Suicide Squad as another example of such being the case now too.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I had no interest in the movie. The Marvel films are already pushing it for me. Animated and I might see it more than once. How to train your Dragon looked way more impressive to me than anything I have seen of the WoW movie.
  • holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154
    They will make more money when it comes out on BluRay.  I don't go to theaters anymore, too much, people to loud....etc.  I bet it will do fine after it launchs in home theaters.