Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't like the layout change today

GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
Showing only 4 of the most recent forum posts on the front page now. Replacing this feature with yet one more ad, is seriously making me consider just how much I want to visit this site. I mostly come here for discussions and usually pay attention to this one feature more than others. Now it's only 4 posts. Get rid of that  "most popular games" list instead. 

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I just noticed that too. It may seem minor, but the recent forum post section is one of the things that I'm always checking out when I visit the home page. Don't know if it's just a technical issue, or if it was intentional.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited August 2016
    Yeah new the reduction in recent forum posts sucks bad.  It's really the single most useful thing for forum goers that want to easily keep on eye on threads they may be interested in.

The nerf needs to be nerfed back.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Doug_BDoug_B Member UncommonPosts: 153
    I agree, it is a really bad design.
    Bachelor's in Web Design and Multimedia
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited August 2016
    Agree here, i don't like it.
    If they want to have more space for news (which i think is a good idea), they should remove some of these useless blocks like "developer blogs", "highlighted blogs", "newly listed games" or "random humor".

It's not as if the page wouldn't work without them, but then i guess that removing "dev blogs" or "newly listed games" could possibly annoy some "friends in the industrie"...and we know how things work here.

I guess the biggest layout problem is that they want to keep catering to mobile users at all cost. The design of the new "page that never was" made that even more obvious.
    I see no other reason to keep the site's main body down to some ridiculous 800 pixel in width in times of 1920x PC screens.

I have never visited this site on my phone, so i don't know if there is an extra version for mobiles. If not, about time to separate it into a PC and a mobile version and stop annoying PC users with a ton of clutter cramped into 800 pixels.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    edited August 2016
    We're looking into what we can do on this. Hang tight.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    MikeB said:
    We're looking into what we can do on this. Hang tight.
    If there was an "I love you" button, i would click it RIGHT NOW!!

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Just to add to this, the only reason I come here to this site is pretty much to see whats trending in the most recent post window. I do check out a couple game threads but mostly just watch the recent post scrolling window... Would be nice to get 10/15 or so of the latest posts back in that window... 
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    edited August 2016
    Gyva02 said:
    Just to add to this, the only reason I come here to this site is pretty much to see whats trending in the most recent post window. I do check out a couple game threads but mostly just watch the recent post scrolling window... Would be nice to get 10/15 or so of the latest posts back in that window...
    We just upped it from four to five. We might try for six, but that's likely the most we're going to be able to do. If you just want to see the live forum feed you can browse to forums.mmorpg.com.
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    MikeB said:
    Gyva02 said:
    We just upped it from four to five. We might try for six, but that's likely the most we're going to be able to do. If you just want to see the live forum feed you can browse to forums.mmorpg.com.
    Thanks for responding, I think I'm just going to replace my front page bookmark and bookmark this link instead http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussions  and avoid the front page. It's getting pretty crazy with the ads. 
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I find using the Recent Discussions page a lot more informative about what's being posted in the forums than I do that front page list that has always been small.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Meh I'll change my bookmark to forum too then.

The new layout is ugly imo.

There's plenty of space where you could have fitted the news section if you ditched the ads on the right for example.

• renegeedrenegeed Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I don't understand, you people have tried this design before and nobody liked it, so you changed it back, why did you people think it would work now? It's ugly, it's a waste of space and it makes me want to get my news somewhere else.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited August 2016
    I agree with the OP. I visit this website also for the forums. The narrow mobile design looks very bad on desktop or any other larger screen. The few recent posts are kind of useless.

Also to showcase current articles and save space , the alternating article thing on the top works a lot better then one large vertical column you have to scroll through. Please use some of the vertical space for recent posts again. Going from 5 to 6 is meaningless.

Maybe the designers should realise that this website is popular for the community and forums, not so much for the news articles. These are mostly short run of the mill articles, relaying news that you can read anywhere.
    edited August 2016
    thi is getting worse now.  the sight is too narrow for the design you're try to fit into it.

In my opinion the designer should stop playing around with this and start creating an actual grid based web design. Grid based design will save a lot of time and hassle.
    just keeps geting worse.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Showing only 4 of the most recent forum posts on the front page now. Replacing this feature with yet one more ad, is seriously making me consider just how much I want to visit this site. I mostly come here for discussions and usually pay attention to this one feature more than others. Now it's only 4 posts. Get rid of that  "most popular games" list instead. 
    Totally agree.