Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Despite success in China Warcraft movie still lost money overall

DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 19,030
edited August 2016 in World of Warcraft
Post edited by DMKano on

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,907
    edited August 2016
    Saw the movie in theatres. Expected nothing, was pleasantly surprised.  I actually left the theatre yearning to play WoW.  However, not surprised on this news.  Still believe it was a better film than BvS.  
    Post edited by grimal on
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Downloaded it.....fell asleep half way thru. Would have went too see it in the theater if it was good. 
  • SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 29,687
    Only losing $15M isn't as catastrophic as it could have been. My guess is that there will be a sequel that will be released first in China and maybe via digital and direct-to-DVD in other regions ala Kingsglaive: FFXV.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 4,502
    I didn't think it would make money. The Warcraft IP isn't big enough to pull the numbers required for a CG movie of that nature. 
  • R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 144
    It was not a very good movie. Generic fantasy.
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 19,030
    SBFord said:
    Only losing $15M isn't as catastrophic as it could have been. My guess is that there will be a sequel that will be released first in China and maybe via digital and direct-to-DVD in other regions ala Kingsglaive: FFXV.

I doubt that they'll make another big budget Warcarft movie.

Investing $160 million - the expectations is to make a healthy profit.

$15 mil loss is FAR below the expectation - so again I don't think it will happen again - at least not  a 100million+ budget movie.

Maybe something that's the 1/10th of the budget.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,127
    SBFord said:
    I havent watched it, but will on dvd at some point.  I hope they at least break even.  It sounds like it was good; if they make it to vanilla, tbc, wrath timelines, I would even watch them in the theatre.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,447
    I wonder how profitable it would have been if that money was invested back into The World of Warcraft MMORPG.
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 751
    I love the Warcraft Universe.  Enjoyed every single one of them but this movie was just bad.  Very bad.  I can see why it lost money.  I really do hope they make a sequel though and learn from their mistakes.  Wishful thinking.
  • Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 388
    grimal said:
    Saw the movie in theatres. Expected nothing, was pleasantly surprised.  I actually left the theatre yearning to play WoW.  However, not surprised on this news.  Still believe it was a better film than BvS.  
    it lacked good actors ,sooooooooo badly, the only emotion i felt was from the cgi orks ..

other than that effects and story were good, too bad they cut their costs on the actor side, would had been a great success with a better cast
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    This could have been a loss leader to help renew subscriptions to world or Warcraft.
  • laseritlaserit Member EpicPosts: 5,590
    The movie failed to make a profit at the Box Office

There is still a lot of revenue to be earned.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,447
    This could have been a loss leader to help renew subscriptions to world or Warcraft.
    They could have spent less money with greater impact developing better content.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    grimal said:
    Still believe it was a better film than BvS.  
    That's not a high bar...

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Hmm...

A video just above the article linked states that the Warcraft Movie is now the most successful video game movie of all time.

Guess things aren't all bad ;)

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Based on the trailers I have seen it looked to me like a bad movie loaded with bad CGI trying to profit with the help of name recognition and long history of passionate fan base. It seems the fan base did not fall for it.
  • rodarinrodarin Member RarePosts: 2,067
    One issue might be that people who were willing to watch it more than likely are also the type that would just stream it. 1080 versions were all over Kodi before it even released in theaters. So unless youre the type who MUST see something this 'epic' on the big screen most just stayed home and watched it on stream.

But it also wasnt a good movie. I suppose if you were at least acquainted with the lore you might get it. But other than that it was a bad generic fantasy movie with even worse CGI (I almost think they did the bad CGI on purpose to stay in theme with their cartoon graphics).
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    If you're acquainted with the lore you'd end up getting how much of it was changed. :p

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• PhryPhry Member EpicPosts: 9,758
    Deivos said:
    grimal said:
    That's not a high bar...
    Well, its better than Ghostbusters 2016 then, reports are now estimating that  Sony will have lost over 70 million USD on that one O.o
    Phry said:
    Deivos said:
    grimal said:
    That's not a high bar...
    Well, its better than Ghostbusters 2016 then, reports are now estimating that  Sony will have lost over 70 million USD on that one O.o
    and much deserved ;)

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    On that note I'm really happy that one Tanked and I hope future idea's about our childhood movies remain untouched from political correctness and bad directing.
  • rodarinrodarin Member RarePosts: 2,067
    On that note I'm really happy that one Tanked and I hope future idea's about our childhood movies remain untouched from political correctness and bad directing.
    Well I am sure the Roadhouse remake will change all that.....
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,756
    Not surprising.  I saw nothing in the previews that indicated the movie in any way captured the unique and quirky world of warcraft.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member RarePosts: 2,361
    Well I think Warcraft put far far too much money into advertising for this movie.  On a side note what's with the all female reboots or replace guy with chick reboots?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 4x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

• PhryPhry Member EpicPosts: 9,758
    rodarin said:
    Well I am sure the Roadhouse remake will change all that.....
    Are they seriously remaking Roadhouse, well, all i can say is i hope they aren't going to reprise Swayzes role in that film with a female version of Arnold Swarzenager O.o