Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com buys a small forum for $20K...

1235»

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    lahnmir said:
    pvpirl said:

also, let us not pretend fires of heaven / rerolled was some run of the mill forum, it is among the oldest and most storied MMO communities in existence.

I am sorry, I tried to be nice but it seems like nice isn't how some want to be treated so there you go. What goes around and all of that.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    No, you didn't. You never "try to be nice". You often claim you're trying to be nice, but what you say you're doing and what you're actually doing are two very different things.

And you can't have a go at me for "not being part of "YOUR" community"; I've been here for a long, long time ;)
    Then obviously I am not talking about you, that's why I said 'some.' However, I do think you got me mixed up with someone else when you say I am often claiming I am trying to be nice because that really isn't the case, I rarely claim I am nice and definitely not on these forums if at all. I do think though that I have been nicer on this specific thread then quite a few others, mostly rerolled members that are 'new' here. Except for my last post yes, that was not nice at all but that should not be a surprise after seeing how this thread developed.

Also, mmorpg.com's business sense or lack thereof has nothing to do with how people should behave.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• dikbutdikbut Member CommonPosts: 11
    Barrikor said:

Pardon my language, but everything else is bull$hit speculation and "What If" scenarios. If anything, Craig is real the victim in all of this...
    First, you're pardoned. Are you seriously not allowed to say "shit" here? 

Second, how often do you consider investing thousands of dollars into something without ever having looked at it?
  • bound4hadesbound4hades Member UncommonPosts: 83
    vimeseh said:
    Not really speculation when you take a look at the draconian moderation your forum has. I mean you guys are disallowed from talking religion or politics even in off topic areas. 
    Well to be fair, the moderation at this site started 2010 I think. When I first started coming to this site, anyone and everyone could say anything they wanted. The members of this site wanted the moderation and requested it. While not all of us like it, myself included, it does keep the topics in line and does limit the personal attacks.
    Lithose said:
    They feel entitled, like they were owed something. They speak about how they understand business, yet don't understand why they were not consulted. They then did something that so many others can't do, abandon the product. So now the product is worthless, they technically win here, but they are entitled and want there sour little butts kissed. They may be older gamers, but they sure act like little kids.

You should read the thread. Most of us came here to post in response to someone who was talking about us "understanding business" by taking a "fair offer" on a deal for worthless data. You're right, we are old, many of us own business--we came to educate that person why his ideas of what business is are idiotic.

You johnny come lately into the thread at the end of it and apparently make up the events that suit your bias. Otherwise, I don't know how you arrived at this.

Also, we pretty clearly spelled out why we weren't consulted, in fact I gave two hypothetical reasons in my own post (Go read it). We simply said that was a mistake, given the style of community we run, and if Craig had done his due diligence, that would not have been the path he would have chosen most likely--the entire thread was about illustrating how Craig never looked at the product he was dumping money into.

Again, your posts seem to be making stuff up through extrapolation of the last couple of posts, not the whole thread.
    No point in arguing with you, you see it as you see it and nothing anyone says to you will change a thing. Regardless if its wrapped in a blanket of truth, you can't see 5cm past your nose.
    Lithose said:
    They feel entitled, like they were owed something. They speak about how they understand business, yet don't understand why they were not consulted. They then did something that so many others can't do, abandon the product. So now the product is worthless, they technically win here, but they are entitled and want there sour little butts kissed. They may be older gamers, but they sure act like little kids.

You should read the thread. Most of us came here to post in response to someone who was talking about us "understanding business" by taking a "fair offer" on a deal for worthless data. You're right, we are old, many of us own business--we came to educate that person why his ideas of what business is are idiotic.

You johnny come lately into the thread at the end of it and apparently make up the events that suit your bias. Otherwise, I don't know how you arrived at this.

Also, we pretty clearly spelled out why we weren't consulted, in fact I gave two hypothetical reasons in my own post (Go read it). We simply said that was a mistake, given the style of community we run, and if Craig had done his due diligence, that would not have been the path he would have chosen most likely--the entire thread was about illustrating how Craig never looked at the product he was dumping money into.

Again, your posts seem to be making stuff up through extrapolation of the last couple of posts, not the whole thread.
    No point in arguing with you, you see it as you see it and nothing anyone says to you will change a thing. Regardless if its wrapped in a blanket of truth, you can't see 5cm past your nose.
    "I am unable to refute your points."
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    People can say what they want about mmorpg.com, but how many websites would put up with a 5 page thread ridiculing their business decisions? Why would that be my business as a forum poster here anyway? 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Why would that be my business as a forum poster here anyway? 
    When your admins are telling you that adblock is not acceptable because they're having trouble keeping the lights on only to drop $15-20k on an investment with no research beyond website traffic, you might want to consider it your business. If that doesn't bother you, then don't worry about it.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    dikbut said:
    When your admins are telling you that adblock is not acceptable because they're having trouble keeping the lights on only to drop $15-20k on an investment with no research beyond website traffic, you might want to consider it your business. If that doesn't bother you, then don't worry about it.
    That doesn't bother me. This site is made available for my enjoyment at no cost to me.  I have been coming here since 2005. I don't care if they invest their money in a Chinchilla farm. And if they do, I don't feel I am owed an explanation for it. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

dikbut said:
    Lithose said:

And out comes the kid comments. I don't argue with idiots.
    dikbut said:
    Lithose said:

And out comes the kid comments. I don't argue with idiots.
    What a mature, well thought out response. Excellent contribution.
  • LanxKaiLanxKai Member CommonPosts: 4
    Amathe said:
    People can say what they want about mmorpg.com, but how many websites would put up with a 5 page thread ridiculing their business decisions? Why would that be my business as a forum poster here anyway? 
    Simple, they can't. At this point since this thread is the most viewed thread in this section in months, it has been getting a lot of traction and stirred up some things. If you lock it or delete it, it's just going to cause more angst inwards towards the mmorpg community, things like "well why did you mod that thread, what do you have to hide?" simple modding 101 type things.

Right now your curiosity is satiated, however if you want to experiment, just go and ask for this thread to be deleted, see how many mmorpg users' feathers gets rustled.
  • LachiusTZLachiusTZ Member UncommonPosts: 5
    lahnmir said:
    I don't get this, at all. Are you impressed by this, do they have some authority now, do we have to give them credit for it? When judging people in a social space like this, ALWAYS judge them by how they behave first, everything else later. This is no business space so credentials don't mean jack. And judging by their behavior I can't blame Draegan getting rid of the bunch. All I see is an alienated, isolated community that has created the perfect echo chamber about 'ultimate freedom of speech'  and 'them evil ads urrrr, me clever eye-aids urrr let me insult urr urr.' A community that has been fondling each other for so long that they all think they are amazing. They are also too poor to pay for anything and rude enough to come over to our home and start acting like asses. Zero sympathy and zero respect is the result.

Yes, we have ads. yes, there is some moderation and probably more than a few of us would like. But it is OUR home and if you don't like it, please go away. You know what, I've got a better idea. How about we ask Craig for the specific amount of money he paid for your pool of vitriol and bile and then, instead of starting an optional subscription here, we ask for a huge Donate button where OUR community can donate some money for YOUR website so you can get it back and leave this place. I am pretty sure some of us are more then willing to spend some money on that, contrary to the amazing rerolled community.

I am sorry, I tried to be nice but it seems like nice isn't how some want to be treated so there you go. What goes around and all of that.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    So, in this post, you call us poor (wonder how many "Donor" tags you see on our forums?  Cause its rare to see a poster with out one . . . so most of us donated to provide for our own forums . . . so we dont have ads.  Then follow it up saying you have ads.   Alright then, sure, whatever, not going to dive in that rabbit hole of stupid.

And reputation always matters, it precedes you, everywhere and all the time.  Provided you have one, if you dont . . . then it wont.  Anyway, so yeah, your credentials and rep matter.  Always.  Well, where any amount of significant time or money are involved they almost always do.  Maybe that is foreign to you.  Dunno.

Personally, I dont give a flying fuck about being nice (outside of common courtesy).

Amathe said:
    To this . . . 

LanxKai said:
    Amathe said:
    Simple, they can't. At this point since this thread is the most viewed thread in this section in months, it has been getting a lot of traction and stirred up some things. If you lock it or delete it, it's just going to cause more angst inwards towards the mmorpg community, things like "well why did you mod that thread, what do you have to hide?" simple modding 101 type things.

Right now your curiosity is satiated, however if you want to experiment, just go and ask for this thread to be deleted, see how many mmorpg users' feathers gets rustled.

We are trying to send Dr Mario over here to diagnose and attempt to rehab out the Stockholm syndrome (or whatever it is, its not my thing, its his), but arent sure if he is willing to sink the time into it.

And in all honesty, there are ppl on RR^2 that sometimes I fantasize about backhanding hard enough to loosen teeth.  But those are our ppl, and at this point we do stick together.  And have a pretty amazing community.

Btw, Hello "new" pals.
  • BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373
    LanxKai said:
    Amathe said:

This is exactly what's wrong with your community. You think everyone has an angle. You think everyone has an ulterior motive, that everyone has something to hide, and everyone will abuse any power they have.

The community here isn't here for "angst" or for seeing people's feathers get ruffles. Yeah, I'm sure you can make people mad if you know how to press their buttons and make them angry, but why would you even want to do that?
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468
    I've been a lurking member here for a long time now.  I am in now way going to criticize another community, especially given that their territory was literally sold out from under them.  Simply, some things don't mix as in oil and water.  There was clearly some bad business decisions made (mislead or not).

With that said, thanks to all that have shared information and provided for interesting discussion.  For me, the whole thing makes me sad.  It makes me sad that I come back to this site less and less. 

I am sad that 2 attempts at introducing the "new" site have failed.  I am sad that I recently visited and its been updated with this really awful layout that was attempted some time back that no one liked at all.  It makes me sad that the current layout probably does allow for more ads.  The events that resulted in this thread make me sad.

The only thing that makes me kind of happy is that the tight-knit community over at rerolled will live another day and be better for it and continue on - that's cool.  I think I'm going to hug a tree now; yeah, that will make me feel better.
    lahnmir said:
    ...community that has created the perfect echo chamber about 'ultimate freedom of speech'  and 'them evil ads urrrr, me clever eye-aids urrr let me insult urr urr.'
    Also, lolwut? This doesn't even make sense.
  • RajereRajere Member UncommonPosts: 2
    freedom of speech echo chamber lol

your privilege is triggering me so hard right now I can't even
  • noodlefacenoodleface Member CommonPosts: 1
    Hah what a piece of fecal matter the site owner here sounds like.
  • ErroniusErronius Member UncommonPosts: 9
    You just saw what you wanted to see. I said in the very next sentence; they technically win here. I'm happy you did what so many others can't do. It just irritates me that you came here to rub your butts on the carpet in hopes that you might leave a stain. It seems you are just like the others, unable to completely read the paragraph.
    You're still getting it wrong. Many of us came over to this thread not because we felt entitled (referencing your prior post), but because it looks like so many of you here seem to think that we owed Craig to stay and that by leaving we were doing him wrong. In a sense, people were talking as if it was Craig and MMORPG who were entitled, and we were in the wrong for not obliging them and staying in order to make their purchase profitable.

I went out of my way to be as even and objective as possible (though I do have my limits), but what I ended up seeing was people getting their feelings hurt when we poked holes in the preferred narrative.

• LanxKaiLanxKai Member CommonPosts: 4
    If anyone is still interested, we have an update on our situation.

I've am old, so i've been learning how to speak Millenial, so here's my best try:

(I know this thread will not gain anymore attention, b/c it's been marked to non-bump status, so this is just for all you subscribed guys)