Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Man’s Sky Confirmed To Have No Multiplayer, Other Players Not Visible

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
No Mans Sky The Universe Awaits

Hello Games’ No Man’s Sky is available now for the PS4 and will be released within 3 days for the PC. The game was always rumored to have a multiplayer mode that resulted in other players being able to meet in the universe of No Man’s Sky. This doesn’t appear to be case though, as confirmed by two different players who decided to meet at the same location.

Read more at: http://gearnuke.com/no-mans-sky-multiplayer-no-visible-players/

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
     O.o

• BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I feel bad for those who were hyped up about the game. Just hope everything else will turn out the way they've expected...
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Not really surprising... why would they waste the time putting in full multiplayer code (both client and server side) when multiplayer (beyond seeing other peoples named stuff) isn't a feature.
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Recore said:
     O.o

would feel kinda bad post it if i was you
    maybe you should edit it so no one know you have buy into the fake hype of this game ?
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    It was never hyped as a "multiplayer game". It is a single player game with a shared data base of what you find in your experience as you travel the universe.  PC version on steam clearly states (as it has since it went on their store) that NMS is a single player game.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

To test this theory, reddit user TheGalacticCactus decided to team up with another player as they both livestreamed their game on Twitch. Despite being in the same location, albeit at a different time, they were still unable to spot each other in the game. This result can be seen in the screenshot below.
    Not really surprising... why would they waste the time putting in full multiplayer code (both client and server side) when multiplayer (beyond seeing other peoples named stuff) isn't a feature.
    Didn't they explain multiplayer as having a bubble around your ship/toon. Bubbles of both have to touch to see eachother? Being in the same place at different times doesn't connect bubbles?!
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    that has to be the most boring and lonely game in the world.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    No Man's Sky, advertised as single player game, confirmed to be single player game.

Thanks.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Who bought the game seriously expecting multiplayer? Hold this L.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited August 2016
    Keller said:

To test this theory, reddit user TheGalacticCactus decided to team up with another player as they both livestreamed their game on Twitch. Despite being in the same location, albeit at a different time, they were still unable to spot each other in the game. This result can be seen in the screenshot below.
    Didn't they explain multiplayer as having a bubble around your ship/toon. Bubbles of both have to touch to see eachother? Being in the same place at different times doesn't connect bubbles?!

Yeah, also he said pvp and a few other things that were lies xD I'll stick by what I said, this will be a great game to get on sale in a year.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    I am not suprised.. I called this when they where very careful about claiming that it's not multiplayer in the normal sense.  Your not gonig to see other players around. What they consider multiplayer is being able to discover stuff and see the names in other peoples games.  Not being able to meet each other and do something together.  Cause lets be honest there is not a whole lot to do as a multiplayer game other then explore and shoot some stuff.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    It's funny because if you go to the Steam forums some hardcore fans are like:

"Dont go by the pictures. Go watch the stream. Angle and all kinds of things will make the background look slightly differrent. The one player was closer to the building."

"actually they think it might be a network issue, also on the back of the game case it says MP." 

"streamer said it was a network issue"
    lol

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    edited August 2016
    There are three possibilities(I have no opinion on which is right):

1) they didn't expect people to meet this soon and haven't even written(finished) that code yet (or at least haven't enabled that code)
    2) They wrote the code but are having issues making it work in the live environment
    3) They lied when they said you could see other players

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    You cannot see each other, however you can push books off the shelf in your daughter's room in the past.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Archlyte said:
    You cannot see each other, however you can push books off the shelf in your daughter's room in the past.
    I was Matthew Mcconaughey in my past life. 
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

They might have wanted it to be multiplayer, had highhopes, said what they were planning, failed to deliver multiplayer on deadline, now its a singleplayergame.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    I am not suprised.. I called this when they where very careful about claiming that it's not multiplayer in the normal sense.  Your not gonig to see other players around. What they consider multiplayer is being able to discover stuff and see the names in other peoples games.  Not being able to meet each other and do something together.  Cause lets be honest there is not a whole lot to do as a multiplayer game other then explore and shoot some stuff.
    There are three possibilities(I have no opinion on which is right):

1) they didn't expect people to meet this soon and haven't even written(finished) that code yet (or at least haven't enabled that code)
    2) They wrote the code but are having issues making it work in the live environment
    3) They lied when they said you could see other players

I sincerly hope so for their sake as the backlash won't be pretty.

They always said that you could meet other players, though highly unlikely due to the sheer size of the game.
    With those kind of wording they implied it is possible to meet and now apparently that ended up being an outright lie.
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    When a developer says "you can do this in the game", it is likely that - at that time - you CAN do that in the game... even if you can't do it in the final release.

For example: Dragon Age: Inquisition showed keep warfare as a feature, and spoke about it often. It was an element of the game during development, and then got cut later on in the process.

Regarding No Man's Sky, we all know that true multiplayer has never been the focus of the game. Indeed, the devs have spoken loudly and often about how they feel true multiplayer can ruin games, about how they don't see it as an integral part of their game, even if they have been working on it in one form or another.

No Man's Sky is a HUGE game. It is by far the most innovative and complete procedurally generated game EVER MADE, by any measure. There's so much to love about it. I didn't pre-order, due to the shitstorming by people on sites like this, and I regret that decision as I now have to wait until the end of the month before I can play it ( competing with WoW and GW2 for time at that point ). The various streams and youtube videos out there now are showing us that most of what Hello said about the game wasn't just hype.

You've all played games for many years, and have been subjected to this sort of problem before. Rarely do you complain about it. So... wind your necks in, enjoy the game, or don't play it. Simple as that, really.
  • wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131
    edited August 2016

No I think you are missing the point. They were both in the game at the same time, but it was night time for one player and day time for the other in the same location...

I think it's pretty bad of them not to make this absolutely clear earlier in the process.

It was 100% obvious from the earlier videos that there was no net code at all. If one player can fall asleep in front of a monolith and when he wakes just a few seconds (simulating hours of sleep) later it is night time on the planet, there is no way you can align that with other nearby players experiences. This was an obvious pointer to the fact that you can't see other players and you are in fact in your own "bubble" of space time.
    edited August 2016
    wireded21 said:

No I think you are missing the point. They were both in the game at the same time, but it was night time for one player and day time for the other in the same location...

I think it's pretty bad of them not to make this absolutely clear earlier in the process.

It was 100% obvious from the earlier videos that there was no net code at all. If one player can fall asleep in front of a monolith and when he wakes just a few seconds (simulating hours of sleep) later it is night time on the planet, there is no way you can align that with other nearby players experiences. This was an obvious pointer to the fact that you can't see other players and you are in fact in your own "bubble" of space time.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-10-no-mans-sky-players-meet-at-the-same-location-but-cant-see-each-other

Eurogamer has all the quotes from Sean Murray regarding this. He has let this spin out of control himself by continuously giving vague statements regarding meeting other players!

While saying "unlikely" and "almost zero" due to sheer size of game, he implied there is a "chance" players could meet eachother!

So again, he let this spin out of control himself!  You either be clear and say "NO! players cannot meet eachother!" and be done with it, but instead he kept giving these hint answers that there was the possibility!  All leading to the Hype and expectations!

In the end, no matter how big the lie.... truth will always catch up on you and bite you in the rear end!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Perhaps to be released later.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited August 2016
    Perhaps to be released later.

Where have we heard that one before.

Just like they say "base building" is coming into the game, but it highly depends on it's implementation and when they actually manage to implement it. In a month? 6 months? a year? 
    If it ends up being just another feature without purpose, just building a base for the sake that you can. Then thanks but no thanks.

In Minecraft Survival mode, building a house has a clear purpose, it's a necessity, since you have to build it for protection as you get attacked at night (or even at day).
    So, in this game, it serves a purpose. You can also decorate it With Furniture, Lightning, defences, etc.

And that is my main gripe with this game.  NMS looks like a fantastic looking game, a technical feat with the whole procedure generation thing, but that is it really.... it just feels like a tech demo, rather than a game.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    I hear that over promising and under delivering is the cool thing in space games these days, so I guess they are just in touch with the times...
  • DaemonweaverDaemonweaver Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Of course 1 possibility why the two streamers could not see each other (and I believe even the time showing on their screens was different), is because they have been using warp drives to get to the planet, which means depending on how far and how many times each warped, they could have arrived at any time in each others past, present or future. This could be another reason Shaun Murray said it is almost impossible to meet other players.
    I may have explained it badly but it is the law of physics and the difference in time depending on the speed you travel (at, close to or faster than the speed of light). I am sure some one can explain it better than me.
    This still does not help the multi player side of things but is at least a possible explanation as to why it is so hard to find other players.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited August 2016
     The game is great, I got it on my PS4 and I don't give a fuck if I don't see or can't see other players. 

[mod edit] 
    Post edited by Vaross on