Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Zone Has a Lot Going On, But Will It Be Enough?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe New Zone Has a Lot Going On, But Will It Be Enough?

After a solid week-plus in Guild Wars 2's much-anticipated update, Out of the Shadows, I've got conflicted feelings. It's nice to (finally) have something new to do again that isn't raid-related, but I don't think the update is the kind of transcendental chunk of content that's going to radically transform people's views of the game.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    In the end the grind for tokens to buy what I wanted kind of bored me and I stopped playing the game. The cartoon elements were too strong for me to care about the story even though I thought it was well crafted and produced, so the world as it was supposed to be presented was of little interest to me beyond exploration.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Sorry that it doesnt have the hook for you, Jason. Welcome to the club; I STILL follow gw2 just to see if they are making positive changes, and it just seems like they fail to get it. I hope it doesnt take a huge hit with the new expac they are working on...
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    There is an NPC in the bloodstone map that talks about what happens in the raids. His name is "Squad Leader Bennett." If you mange to finish wing 2 of the raid he's one of the NPC's you rescue. He's also part of the reason why wing 1 exists since the raid is about finding what happened to his missing team. He is fully voiced and even shows a cut scene briefly explaining who the white mantle are.

As for your article here, I don't know if this is supposed to be a review or an impression. You could have at least compared the story telling approach of living story 3 to the other living story updates or even the personal story. This is the best story telling Anet has done since the start of the game. It even ends with a branching story line cliffhanger that can go in a bunch of different ways, related to future content.

• sniperman248sniperman248 Member UncommonPosts: 38
    edited August 2016
    *spoiler alert* Primordious is the next expac, and don't get me wrong i'm a huge gw2 fan, but if I have to choose between anets poorly done content as of late or Blizzards upcoming Legion with over the top content, and a demon hunter to play as well that i've been wanting for awhile i'm gonna choose blizz. Now if Anet would actually do something epic with the living story with better content, then I would consider giving all my praise to Anet again. Also Anet should rethink living story every 3 months sorry guys but no one likes a content drought.
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332

APThug said:

There is an NPC in the bloodstone map that talks about what happens in the raids. His name is "Squad Leader Bennett." If you mange to finish wing 2 of the raid he's one of the NPC's you rescue. He's also part of the reason why wing 1 exists since the raid is about finding what happened to his missing team. He is fully voiced and even shows a cut scene briefly explaining who the white mantle are.

As for your article here, I don't know if this is supposed to be a review or an impression. You could have at least compared the story telling approach of living story 3 to the other living story updates or even the personal story. This is the best story telling Anet has done since the start of the game. It even ends with a branching story line cliffhanger that can go in a bunch of different ways, related to future content.

That is nice and all, but the article was about the lasting value/replayability of the content, not how well the story is told. A well told two hour living story is not going to give players a reason to log in on a regular basis...it is just going to encourage people to do the story and forget about GW2 for 3 months until they release more story - not exactly the makings of a great MMO - sounds more like a good solo RPG.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    edited August 2016
    ^ Lets not be disingenuous. Blizzard had a year long content hole in wow recently too. Both of them are sucking at content lately.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited August 2016
    The next update is 2 months away in GW2, let us see what it brings. It is nice that they are wrapping the lore back together, with White Mantle, Mursaat, etc. Let us wait and see...

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    edited August 2016
    Post edited by SirAgravaine on
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    The map is perfectly viable content for the 2-3 months till the next update. Question is - will the next update be similarly worthwhile?
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Silverwastes and Dry top also started out as small maps that got larger with each update, I assume this one will grow as well.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited August 2016
    *spoiler alert* Primordious is the next expac,
    Jormag and Kralkatorrik were already active. Their minions are doing organized attacks since the game released, while Primordius just has a few disorganized minions coming out of small fissures in a few maps.

Also, Primordius is basically right under Jormag, unless he moved a lot in 200 years. We might get a Ice vs Fire in the next expac (Dredgehaunt Cliffs has both destroyers and Son of Svanirs for example).

Kralkatorrik is chilling in the Crystal Desert and probably dealing with Palawa Joko's megalomania now that Zaithan is gone. His branded are pretty active in the Dragonbrand though and trying to harvest magic from ley-lines too.
    Loke666 said:
    Silverwastes and Dry top also started out as small maps that got larger with each update, I assume this one will grow as well.
    It doesn't have much place to grow, it's trapped between a Guild Hall (which could be moved I guess) and the raid map. With 2-3 months between updates, we might get another map that could have more space to grow though.
    edited August 2016
    delete double post
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

azarhal said:

Jormag and Kralkatorrik were already active. Their minions are doing organized attacks since the game released, while Primordius just has a few disorganized minions coming out of small fissures in a few maps.

Also, Primordius is basically right under Jormag, unless he moved a lot in 200 years. We might get a Ice vs Fire in the next expac (Dredgehaunt Cliffs has both destroyers and Son of Svanirs for example).

Kralkatorrik is chilling in the Crystal Desert and probably dealing with Palawa Joko's megalomania now that Zaithan is gone. His branded are pretty active in the Dragonbrand though and trying to harvest magic from ley-lines too.

Loke666 said:

It doesn't have much place to grow, it's trapped between a Guild Hall (which could be moved I guess) and the raid map. With 2-3 months between updates, we might get another map that could have more space to grow though.

We are talking Dry Top - look at the old GW1 map to where GW2 can go. Plenty of space......

http://i.imgur.com/hblHbGt.jpg

• LighttipLighttip Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I stopped playing GW2 in the middle of Living Story. I couldn't follow the story because I'd leave for 3 or 4 months, playing other games, and forget what the heck I was trying to do. I have no desire to play anymore. I used to love it in the beginning.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    *spoiler alert* Primordious is the next expac, and don't get me wrong i'm a huge gw2 fan, but if I have to choose between anets poorly done content as of late or Blizzards upcoming Legion with over the top content, and a demon hunter to play as well that i've been wanting for awhile i'm gonna choose blizz. Now if Anet would actually do something epic with the living story with better content, then I would consider giving all my praise to Anet again. Also Anet should rethink living story every 3 months sorry guys but no one likes a content drought.
    I will say, playing WoW again after a long break does show me how truly terrible the tab target combat is.  It's in some weird area between EQ1 and GW2 (both of which have good combat imo).  They have taken away most of the abilities from many of the classes so you end up standing there auto attacking from time to time.  I do agree that ANET and their content is pretty lame, living stories suck.  Just don't paint a perfect picture for good ol WoW.

botrytis said:

azarhal said:

[skip]

Loke666 said:

We are talking Dry Top - look at the old GW1 map to where GW2 can go. Plenty of space......

http://i.imgur.com/hblHbGt.jpg

GW2 Dry Top, isn't GW1 Dry Top. He was talking about growing Bloodstone Fen map like it was done for GW2 Dry Top over multiple content updates, but Dry Top wasn't stuck between 3 other existing maps when it released unlike Bloodstone Fen.

Also, your map is based off the base GW2 map. See http://guide.thatshaman.com/ for the current version with all the zones added since release.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's not bad, I'm actually having fun. Took my Thief through and will take my other alts through which will probably be done when the next one comes out.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    azarhal said:

Also, Primordius is basically right under Jormag, unless he moved a lot in 200 years.
    He did move - there is a tactician hinting that Primordus is resting below Divinity's Reach.
    It was used as explanation why a part of the city had been swallowed by the earth itself.
    (Before the Crown Pavilion update)
    Harbinger of Fools
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Also keep in mind there are still other updates happening to gw2 besides just the living story (If you are just a pve player and never wanna step foot into pvp or wvw) Such as the "current event" quests that are secretly being added into the game for players to discover. In fact, one was just added today.

"Bloodstone slivers have scattered across Tyria." Anet has been adding new ones for a few weeks now.

• Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Some people seem to forget that they paid for the game sometime ago and if they don't put money into the cash shop then anything they continue to get is free. ANet don't charge you a sub to play, unlike Blizzard, so if you are still around to play this new content, i'd say you've already had more than your monies worth and should perhaps remember that.