Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ex-Runic / Blizzard Devs Form New Studio for MMO ARPG - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• GainsNGamesGainsNGames Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Wizardry said:
    Diablo is NOT a selling point top me,matter of fact arpg's are one the biggest laziest blemish's on the market.

I want to see ELABORATE RPG's ,not linear spam mindless killing.

I have no doubt what so ever that having worked for Blizzard and seen how EASY it was to make a game like Diablo,he sees an easy road to $$$$.Point being,this upstart advert is to warm us up before the kickstarter starts and it 100% will be yet another cheap lazy arpg.
    Easy to make?  Yeah that's why Blizzard's parent company Davidson & Associates acquired Condor Games half way through development because they were so impressed with their creativity and design ideas.

Not to mention Diablo introduced  the  original battle.net service, where players could chat and find multiplayer games. And we all know how that battle.net thingy turned out eh?

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    I dont want an action MMORPG. I want an MMORPG.
    Can i quote this for eternity?
  • Ombr4Ombr4 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I really like Arpg... First you have custom character in some game or at least you dont have to be like every other guys on the server like MMORPG classic. Two, you can play when you want and dont have to play 40h a week to be good at the game... Not all people here are pay to play or student that dont go to school to play. Three, MMORPG are dead game for me.... You dont have to play with other in those game anymore, they are solo game with some other solo player that play at the same time with you.... At least in Arpg, you have team play and can do stuff together. 
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Looks like one of the quickest "talks" ever....i did not see anything that anyone said...did i miss it somehow?
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878

Wizardry said:

Diablo is NOT a selling point top me,matter of fact arpg's are one the biggest laziest blemish's on the market.

I want to see ELABORATE RPG's ,not linear spam mindless killing.

I have no doubt what so ever that having worked for Blizzard and seen how EASY it was to make a game like Diablo,he sees an easy road to $$$$.Point being,this upstart advert is to warm us up before the kickstarter starts and it 100% will be yet another cheap lazy arpg.

Wait what?
    How easy it is to make a game like Diablo?
    Are you being serious?

Not only that but take a game like Grim Dawn or Titan Quest and show me where 'lazy' fits into the equation.  

Don't mind him man. He is typical mmo-basher that you'll easily found here and have those attitudes only to look smart and classy.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Three guys start a band in their basement, eat a lot of burritos and decide to call their endeavor Sirocco. 

But seriously, while appreciating the allusion to ancient Irish storytelling and the carved stone rune (get it . . . Runic) for a logo, and also appreciating that the Irish saved civilization, Irish is one of the hardest currently spoken languages to learn and is actually only spoken by a small fraction of Irish because it is so dang hard.  On the other hand, there is hardly a more beautiful language when sung, so it deserves special note for that.  So, if we can all just gather 'round and sing the name of this new game company, putting in a little sean-nos ornamentation, I'm sure it will be a lot prettier. 

Clearly, their marketing scheme was not foremost on their minds when they created their name and logo; however, it does seem pretty clear that they meant to convey not a determination to make a state of the art blow  me away game, but rather something more magical, a hearkening back to a time of storytellers, smokey fires and the rattle of the runes in an old druid's hand.  So I'm guessing it's more for them as a guiding light to help them keep focused on what they are trying to accomplish. 

Let's remember that D2 was pretty lame before Lord of Destruction.  Let's also remember that while a certain individual running Flagship made some poor predictions about the player base for Hellgate: London, that's on him, not his staff.  The art direction for D1, D2 and Hellgate was damn good in its day, Hellgate still being one of the creepiest, ickiest games ever made. 
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Torchlight was a decent enough ARPG. Torchlight 2 was a buggy, unoptimized mess that took way too long to produce, especially since most of it was just copypasta'd graphics and spells from the first game with a few small tweaks. Multiplayer was a hacker's paradise, the story made no sense, most skills were boring and not at all fun to use (even the copied ones), and the damn thing wasn't even made with multi-core processors in mind, killing performance for a lot of people. 

Torchlight 2 was hackneyed, lazy crap. To me, listing work on that game as part of your qualifications is the equivalent of saying you worked on a Stephanie Meyer novel. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Love max Schafer. Loved TL and looking forward to Hob quite a bit
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Such negativity.  I don't know why anyone would even bother creating a game anymore with so many haters.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    "So what's your company called?"

"Echtra"

"Gesundheit. Here's a tissue."
    I had to google the meaning of this, gg
    A well earned LOL

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Again?

Mythos.. Hellgate London.. third time's a charm?
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

DAOWAce said:

Again?

Mythos.. Hellgate London.. third time's a charm?

Wildstar was the third time and I wouldnt call it a charm, unless thats what you call your excrement.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Cazriel said:

Let's remember that D2 was pretty lame before Lord of Destruction.  Let's also remember that while a certain individual running Flagship made some poor predictions about the player base for Hellgate: London, that's on him, not his staff.  The art direction for D1, D2 and Hellgate was damn good in its day, Hellgate still being one of the creepiest, ickiest games ever made. 
    That's the first thing I thought of when they mentioned Hellgate: London. So much potential waste due to crappy choices. Such as overly greedy devs.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    DMKano said:
    So how do you pronounce Echtra? Also anyone getting a high school art vibe from the logo?
    Since it's Irish... probably nowhere near how it's actually written xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited August 2016
    Incoming Kickstarter in 5....4...3..
    I'd like to see changes to Crowdfunding in general. It should have a use, but it's being abused far to much.

I read an article unrelated to gaming, about an inner city school teacher's group starting a KS campaign to get necessary school supplies. Great right? Except the city thought it was a great idea. Now. they are absolved of their responsibilities. But you can see where this leads right? So after residents pay their taxes for their children to have school supplies, they have to pay even more out of their own pockets to pay for what they already paid for.

These Indie game developers are the same. "Free Money" off the backs of "The Little People" People need to wise up to this scheme. The CF well needs to dry up and these developers need to obtain their funding the way it's supposed to be done. There are reasons investors turn away every Tom Dick and Harry with the next bright idea. And I think we are beginning to see why. Creative genius needs to be tempered with the ability to manage the project to completion which is exactly why Indie developers are just that......Indie. 
    Post edited by GeezerGamer on
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    I'm excited to see what they can do.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited August 2016
    Incoming Kickstarter in 5....4...3..
    I'd like to see changes to Crowdfunding in general. It should have a use, but it's being abused far to much.

I read an article unrelated to gaming, about an inner city school teacher's group starting a KS campaign to get necessary school supplies. Great right? Except the city thought it was a great idea. Now. they are absolved of their responsibilities. But you can see where this leads right? So after residents pay their taxes for their children to have school supplies, they have to pay even more out of their own pockets to pay for what they already paid for.

These Indie game developers are the same. "Free Money" off the backs of "The Little People" People need to wise up to this scheme. The CF well needs to dry up and these developers need to obtain their funding the way it's supposed to be done. There are reasons investors turn away every Tom Dick and Harry with the next bright idea. And I think we are beginning to see why. Creative genius needs to be tempered with the ability to manage the project to completion which is exactly why Indie developers are just that......Indie. 

I sometimes wonder how much it will take before people acknowledge that crowdfunding is a viable funding medium. Will it take a crowdfunded game winning game of the year? Nope, obviously not, already happened and it hasn't swayed people. Will it take hundreds of games being released via crowdfunding? Nope! There are literally hundreds of crowdfunded games on Steam right now and that obviously has convinced nobody. 

What I'd really like to know, and maybe getting it right from the horses mouth is best, is what will it take for crowdfunding to prove itself to you? (my guess is that it can't)

You're poo-pooing on crowdfunding when someone took to it to do good, honest, truthful good, and a city basically abused their efforts. That's the city being assholes, I don't know what you think it has to do with crowdfunding. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited August 2016
    Torchlight 1 and 2 were decent for 40 or so hours and got old really soon after that.  ARPGs without dedicated servers don't really make much of a long term impact on the genre.  That goes for Titan Quest, Van Helsing, torchlight 1/2 and Grim Dawn.

I still don't understand why Flagship didn't just make the game they planned with D3.  It's not like Demons and Hell are the IP of Blizzard.  They had the perfect opportunity to make the successor to D2.  But man did they squander it.

David Brevik is a great guy but it seems like his games were always behind(based on the behind the scenes book on diablo) and everything after leaving Blizzard was released up to a year too early.  apparently he's not attached to this product.
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Alders said:
    I dont want an action MMORPG. I want an MMORPG.
    Can i quote this for eternity?
    Sure!