Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's 'Not a Multiplayer Game -- Don't Go Looking for That'

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageIt's 'Not a Multiplayer Game -- Don't Go Looking for That'

In a series of Twitter posts, No Man's Sky developer Sean Murray has reiterated that the game is "not a multiplayer game". He further states that players should not go into it looking for that experience. The comments come on the eve of the PlayStation 4 release of No Man's Sky and within the same week as the PC release (August 12th).

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I love a good exploration game ... So I am looking forward to this.
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    I know what this game is and isn't and I think I will get a lot of playtime from it. It's an indie space game with some neat procedural tech. It looks very pretty which is why a lot of hype generated.

It's not a living breathing universe, it's not an MMO, it's not a super deep economic trading game, it's not a replacement for real life.

It looks like a good game. Game.
  • ohgodtherats707ohgodtherats707 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I will be doing that thing that is so rare in this world and form an opinion as I play it instead of listening to strangers on the internet
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I will be doing that thing that is so rare in this world and form an opinion as I play it instead of listening to strangers on the internet
    Um...these comments were from the developers themselves. O.o

Other than that, there's no judgment attached to the news at all. :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Yah that's why it's a pass for me.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    The devs mentioned multiple times it's not a multiplayer game nor a MMO. Hate to say it but I'm looking forward to seeing all the posts of "where is the party list", "Why can't I play with my friend we both have the same game"; etc.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    If you want a space exploration game wait for Astroneer it will be light years better than this purposeless game.  Far too much hype for a half finished game.  Maybe they will finish it, but I would not hold my breath.
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Doesn't belong on this website. In my humble opinion.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Devs have sead this for a very long time still people bitch about multiplay feature.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Ozmodan said:
    If you want a space exploration game wait for Astroneer it will be light years better than this purposeless game.  Far too much hype for a half finished game.  Maybe they will finish it, but I would not hold my breath.
    Why wait?
  • ohgodtherats707ohgodtherats707 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I was more talking about people's judgment on the game as a whole
  • blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I can hear the hype train wreck about to hit!
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    SBFord said:
    Um...these comments were from the developers themselves. O.o

Other than that, there's no judgment attached to the news at all. :D
    Basically he don't know who the devs really are, so yeah, devs area stranger to him..  :silenced:

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    People whine about the lack of sandbox games. 

Hello Games decides to make a true sandbox game. 

People whine about the game being 'purposeless'. 

The fuck do you people want?

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

But its not really a sandbox game, you can't build or make anything, and the only real effect you have is blowing holes in the world.  Its an open ended exploration/survival game, light on the survival.  It seems the only thing you can do is look and shoot resources, trade said resources and use them to move on and upgrade your stuff.   
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

To play a sandbox game with their, wives, friends, family, CO workers.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

A Sandbox game with purpose?
    Been waiting a long time for one and I don't understand why people think they are mutually exclusive.
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Honestly I cancelled my preorder, NMS is just a worse version of empyrion galatic survival anyway with much less features and things to do, Empyrion is NMS+has way more features, is only 20 bucks (compared to 60) and offers a very simmlar experence with the edition of base building starbase building etc, there is literally 0 reason to get no mans sky over empyrion galatic survival. Well the only single reason would be if you care about graphics, because NMS actually beats Empyrion in that department.

I got god eater 2 rage burst for pc instead, much better game, and the fact you get ressurection for free is a nice touch. its also only 4 canadian more than NMS for a better game. These are just my opinions.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    edited August 2016

Rhoklaw said:

Unless everyone is playing on their own server, it's a multiplayer game. With all due respect, just because the game is huge doesn't mean it's impossible to meet someone. If he's willing to make that claim then sure, I'll let the developer count his eggs before they hatch.

I'll relish the first video stream showing 2 players meeting each other.

I can't wait for that first video.. And then the sh*t storm of people complaining that what they find out and see if not multiplayer in the sense that they are use to.

The dev's have been very careful in saying what to expect and have at no point have they claimed that multiplayer works like you get in a fps game nor have they claimed that it is realtime multiplayer like a fps game. Also something to think about is that you are not effectively playing on a actualy server like most games. If the server starts lagging your game does not lag. If the server goes down you don't lose connection. Your info is mearly synced with a database that tracks everything. You are not picking a server to play on because effectivly there really is no actual server is most game sense. It's a database thats tracking a crap ton of info that you are pulling and sending to at times.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Siveria said:

Honestly I cancelled my preorder, NMS is just a worse version of empyrion galatic survival anyway with much less features and things to do, Empyrion is NMS+has way more features, is only 20 bucks (compared to 60) and offers a very simmlar experence with the edition of base building starbase building etc, there is literally 0 reason to get no mans sky over empyrion galatic survival. Well the only single reason would be if you care about graphics, because NMS actually beats Empyrion in that department.

I got god eater 2 rage burst for pc instead, much better game, and the fact you get ressurection for free is a nice touch. its also only 4 canadian more than NMS for a better game. These are just my opinions.

I agree. The more i have heard and seen about NMS, the least interested I have become.

How long can you keep People interested, when all you can do is fly around, land on planets, blow stuff up, get Resources and trade it..... and that's pretty much it.

If I find a habitable planet and able to get Resources, why can't I build a house or a base?

Games like ARK blow NMS out of the water. ARK is also an Indy game, but offers way more on the survival and purpose department, with actual things to do.

I just going to sit With a big bowl of popcorn tomorrow and wait for the internet rage and Hype PR backlash to ensue in coming days.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    TimEisen said:
    PVP finds a way. If I could even land on a planet, conquer it, and leave behind robot guards and traps I would be much more excited about this. The explore looks nice and relazing but without the excitement from the threat of PVP I'm less interested.
    There isn't any PVP, the game is procedure generated, there is no carry over other than being the first to discover a particular creature type regardless of the environment its discovered in, nothing you do will be able to directly, or indirectly, affect another players version of the game.
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Nanfoodle said:

To play a sandbox game with their, wives, friends, family, CO workers.
    You better keep looking then, because NMS is not a sandbox at all.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I was under the impression that although it was a single player game you had the capability of seeing and meeting other players even though it's extremely unlikely. That's not the case. Instead all you get to see is if someone has discovered a planet and afew other things to suggest the evidence of other players existing except for actually seeing and interacting with them.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Akulas said:
    I was under the impression that although it was a single player game you had the capability of seeing and meeting other players even though it's extremely unlikely. That's not the case. Instead all you get to see is if someone has discovered a planet and afew other things to suggest the evidence of other players existing except for actually seeing and interacting with them.
    It is a single player game, and its more like you see evidence of other players through 'discoveries' as the first to discover a particular thing is credited with it, other than that there is no interaction, or possible interaction, given how many possible variations there are when it comes to creatures, so players should be able to 'discover' and be credited with that discovery for quite a while.
    NMS might well be a good game, but people need to stop expecting it to be something other than it is, and when the developers themselves say its a single player game, perhaps they should be given the benefit of the doubt, it is their game after all.
  • Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 268
    They have to come out with the truth before the pc release. People will use cheat engine to get to the same location and there will be a shitstorm when they realize there is no net code or any form of multiplayer AT ALL.

Archeage EU - Nui