Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Illidan Fans Rejoice - Your Time is Nigh

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageIllidan Fans Rejoice - Your Time is Nigh

Come August 9th World of Warcraft players will be treated to the first new Hero Class in years. We had the chance to go through a making of retrospective for the class with the Blizzard team. The guys dug deep to talk about the feel of the class and how it operates among the rest that everyone has played for over a decade now.

Read the full story here



¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


«1

Comments

  • fs23otmfs23otm Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Can't wait...
  • Xion1985Xion1985 Member UncommonPosts: 229
    I dont know if it'll be a month or months, but Illidan is one of my favorite fantasy characters, so the demon hunter being playable has brought me back.  Can't wait to try it out.
  • kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 427
    As much as I am happy for my fellow friends who are excited for this class ... I can't help but be extremely salty that yet again .. we get a melee dps / tank hero class ..

    As someone who plays a healer almost exclusively - I wish that they would have provided more for everyone else who you know, might not enjoy being melee.

    Where the healer / ranged dps / caster classes at Blizzard?! :(

    PS - All mammals have nipples.

    Get over it already.


    image

  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,563
    kinido said:
    As much as I am happy for my fellow friends who are excited for this class ... I can't help but be extremely salty that yet again .. we get a melee dps / tank hero class ..

    As someone who plays a healer almost exclusively - I wish that they would have provided more for everyone else who you know, might not enjoy being melee.

    Where the healer / ranged dps / caster classes at Blizzard?! :(
    Monk didn't count, because it's melee? Just genuinely asking. 

    Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

    My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

  • kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 427



    kinido said:

    As much as I am happy for my fellow friends who are excited for this class ... I can't help but be extremely salty that yet again .. we get a melee dps / tank hero class ..



    As someone who plays a healer almost exclusively - I wish that they would have provided more for everyone else who you know, might not enjoy being melee.



    Where the healer / ranged dps / caster classes at Blizzard?! :(


    Monk didn't count, because it's melee? Just genuinely asking. 



    I guess i should have been more specific - all of the Hero classes we have received have been tank/melee dps. With this addition, it really tips the melee DPS percentile into the " heavy " category.

    I was hoping that they would have made a Tank/Healer Hero, something without a DPS spec .. to give the people who main Healer/Tank something completely new and polished to try.

    PS - All mammals have nipples.

    Get over it already.


    image

  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,010
    To be honest, they should have brought a class that can ONLY be healer or tank.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,875
    Yeah, cause people want less and less spec options? On a technical level, I still find it lazy that demon hunter only has 2 specs. Yeah yeah 'it would break lore' blah blah >>> technical level <<< gotta love when 'lore' makes it ok to accept lower quality.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,010
    Albatroes said:
    Yeah, cause people want less and less spec options? On a technical level, I still find it lazy that demon hunter only has 2 specs. Yeah yeah 'it would break lore' blah blah >>> technical level <<< gotta love when 'lore' makes it ok to accept lower quality.
    They actually tried to make an excuse? 

    When I found out they only had 2 specs, I was ok with it, but I wondered why. 12 gagillionh isn't enough to support 3 specs with a new class?

    It just seems underdeveloped for no reason. Even if both specs are great, why not 1 more great spec to remain in line with tradition?
  • LurianarLurianar Member UncommonPosts: 61


    To be honest, they should have brought a class that can ONLY be healer or tank.



    That would really be interesting. I think one way that this could be achieved is through disc priest - lower healing output, but bigger DPS than any other healer. Some kind of hybrid support class, basically. So you'd have that healing spec, that support spec and that tanking spec.

    image

  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 304
    It has been tough for me to come to my final decision because the nostalgia strings were pulled extremely hard this time. Blizzard had gotten me to sub back for one month and was able to call up some old friends and get into some HFC content raiding. Played with the garrison a bit again...remembered just how much i hated it. Got to see the new expansion so really no new surprises for me now that I have been able to take a complete look at everything that is coming down the pipeline.

    My final verdict is I will NOT be coming back and this was the final nail in the coffin I needed to never look at another WoW thing again. I will say that Blizzard has perfected the delivery of storyline content more than any other game in my opinion. The first half hour of August 30th your heart will be racing at 100 mph. Something is still missing though. I cannot really explain it except to say that the game has worn itself out completely. The gameplay even with the changes is just not there. Tab targeting and a hotbar are just outdated remnants of the past. The stylized graphics are still in my opinion an excuse and really should be done away with.

    I think at the end of the day its just that this was too little too late. This is the first time for me where I will not be purchasing an expansion and from here on out I am finally able to really put this game to rest in the ground.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 854
    The Demon Hunter is the least exciting part of Legion for me. I'm not much of a dps player, especially the bursty type like rogue types. I don't mind playing a warrior bruiser type every now and then.

    Bring on the invasions!

    For the Frost Wolves!

    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I still wish they would've implemented my 3rd spec for DH. Their artifact was like an overcharged Warglaive of Azzinoth that had a 15 yard range and worked like a whip, a flame whip :D
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Albatroes said:
    Yeah, cause people want less and less spec options? On a technical level, I still find it lazy that demon hunter only has 2 specs. Yeah yeah 'it would break lore' blah blah >>> technical level <<< gotta love when 'lore' makes it ok to accept lower quality.
    They actually tried to make an excuse? 

    When I found out they only had 2 specs, I was ok with it, but I wondered why. 12 gagillionh isn't enough to support 3 specs with a new class?

    It just seems underdeveloped for no reason. Even if both specs are great, why not 1 more great spec to remain in line with tradition?
    I dunno, maybe to avoid one raid group full of DH?



    When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    World of Demon Hunters! I'm gonna take my DH up to endgame but will probably swap to my Lock or Disc Priest for raiding. DH's will be the last pic because everyone will be one.


  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,875
    edited August 2016
    Albatroes said:
    Yeah, cause people want less and less spec options? On a technical level, I still find it lazy that demon hunter only has 2 specs. Yeah yeah 'it would break lore' blah blah >>> technical level <<< gotta love when 'lore' makes it ok to accept lower quality.
    They actually tried to make an excuse? 

    When I found out they only had 2 specs, I was ok with it, but I wondered why. 12 gagillionh isn't enough to support 3 specs with a new class?

    It just seems underdeveloped for no reason. Even if both specs are great, why not 1 more great spec to remain in line with tradition?
    I dunno, maybe to avoid one raid group full of DH?
    I'm not understanding that comment. It could've been an extra dps spec like DK has 2 dps and 1 tank. I honestly felt it would've been more interesting to have a spec that was solely being in metamorph, but again 'lore' etc. Cause Illidian and his abilities couldn't have evolved etc after 40-50 levels.

    The main issue with lore is that people want to live the story and aren't open to new twists.
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,342
    Maelzrael said:
    World of Demon Hunters! I'm gonna take my DH up to endgame but will probably swap to my Lock or Disc Priest for raiding. DH's will be the last pic because everyone will be one.
    No truer words have been written. Yes everyone and their granny will be a Demon Hunter.

  • PpiperPpiper Member RarePosts: 1,082
    kitarad said:
    Maelzrael said:
    World of Demon Hunters! I'm gonna take my DH up to endgame but will probably swap to my Lock or Disc Priest for raiding. DH's will be the last pic because everyone will be one.
    No truer words have been written. Yes everyone and their granny will be a Demon Hunter.
    Ditto that. Not to mention the gutting of the hunter class. This will be the first expansion I'll miss and I've been playing since beta.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,218
    Are demon hunters race locked to the night and blood elves?

    Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

    Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited August 2016
    What confuses me is the horns...Are all demon hunters tainted by fel energy now or something, because Illidan was a demon hunter and didn't have horns until he absorbed the power of the skull of Gul'dan.

    If the rationale is absorbing and using fel energy, then Warlocks and Blood Elves both should have already been affected in such a manner, which leaves it a little odd.

    Little confused too on the subject of Illidan being in servitude to Kil'Jaeden last I knew. Guess Kil'Jaeden ditched him when he messed up at the throne? :\
    Post edited by Deivos on

    "The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

  • ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616

    Ginaz said:

    Are demon hunters race locked to the night and blood elves?



    Yes, only Night Elves and Blood Elves can be Demon Hunters at this point.


    Deivos said:

    Are all demon hunters tainted by fel energy now or something, because Illidan was a demon hunter and didn't have horns until he absorbed the power of the skull of Gul'dan.



    Illidan is a special case, receiving his power directly from Sargeras during the War of the Ancients. The rest of the Illidari, trained by him, didn't have such an opportunity and got their powers by directly consuming demons - in more ways than one. From lore point of view, they're all tainted with fel. Game mechanics-wise, however, you can make your DH horn-less and tattoo-less if you so desire. If you wish to learn more about Illidan, his dances around KJ, Illidari and so on I advise on reading "Illidan" by Willian King :)
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited August 2016
    I remember most of it from the WC3 game and some expansion content, but dropped off following later expansions I had no interest in. Basically, up to Illidan falling to the Lich King and retreating to Outlands to go all bonkers.

    That doesn't really explain the point though that the demon hunters are far from the only ones consuming or channeling fel-energy, as from a lore standpoint the warlocks and Blood Elves in general can be noted for utilizing it as well. It's similarly the reason or the physique changes of the orcs from their original less-beefy and alternate skin tone forms.

    On the aside, Illidan hadn't physically changed to be so demonic up until the events of WC3 when he took the skull of Gul'dan. What he inherited from Sargeras was not specifically a fel power or magic, but the vision to see all types of magic energy and the arcane tattoos that let him channel said energy. Unless you're talking about a big retcon, I'm not sure what special case you are quite referring to.

    Though that does bring up the subsequent question of how other trained demon hunters would obtain such vision or tattoos.

    "The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,283
    Deivos said:
    I remember most of it from the WC3 game and some expansion content, but dropped off following later expansions I had no interest in. Basically, up to Illidan falling to the Lich King and retreating to Outlands to go all bonkers.

    That doesn't really explain the point though that the demon hunters are far from the only ones consuming or channeling fel-energy, as from a lore standpoint the warlocks and Blood Elves in general can be noted for utilizing it as well. It's similarly the reason or the physique changes of the orcs from their original less-beefy and alternate skin tone forms.

    On the aside, Illidan hadn't physically changed to be so demonic up until the events of WC3 when he took the skull of Gul'dan. What he inherited from Sargeras was not specifically a fel power or magic, but the vision to see all types of magic energy and the arcane tattoos that let him channel said energy. Unless you're talking about a big retcon, I'm not sure what special case you are quite referring to.

    Though that does bring up the subsequent question of how other trained demon hunters would obtain such vision or tattoos.
    The book Illidan explains how the Illidari Demon Hunters are made, it's pretty detailed as an entire chapter is devoted to it specifically, iirc. I won't spoil anything for anyone else though.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Ah, oki doki. That part is kind of a missing component from the game lore so it'd definitely help in filling some of the gaps there.

    "The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

  • XiaokiXiaoki Member RarePosts: 3,325
    kinido said:



    kinido said:

    As much as I am happy for my fellow friends who are excited for this class ... I can't help but be extremely salty that yet again .. we get a melee dps / tank hero class ..



    As someone who plays a healer almost exclusively - I wish that they would have provided more for everyone else who you know, might not enjoy being melee.



    Where the healer / ranged dps / caster classes at Blizzard?! :(


    Monk didn't count, because it's melee? Just genuinely asking. 



    I guess i should have been more specific - all of the Hero classes we have received have been tank/melee dps. With this addition, it really tips the melee DPS percentile into the " heavy " category.

    I was hoping that they would have made a Tank/Healer Hero, something without a DPS spec .. to give the people who main Healer/Tank something completely new and polished to try.
    Including Demon Hunters there are 13 melee DPS specs and 11 ranged DPS specs.

    So, I'm not sure where you are getting this "heavy" imbalance from.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,309
    He is getting it from dk, monk, and now dh. None of the added classes are ranged.
Sign In or Register to comment.