Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arcanist Leveling Build Suggestions

TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,537
I just picked up the game on the GoG summer sale. I'm leveling an Arcanist and am level 13. I haven't picked a secondary mastery yet. I'm using a pretty simple PRM build.

I could use some suggestions about what would be a compatible secondary mastery. I really like lightning, stun, debuff, and aether. I like ranged and aoe, but ranged isn't a necessary. Retribution and defensive auras are always fun too.

I'm trying to forward look towards ultimate and would like some suggestions on what other classes (masteries) people think might work well with that. I've been thinking shaman, nightblade, soldier as options in roughly that order.
take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

traveller, interloper, anomaly
༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

Comments

• TL_GamerTL_Gamer Member CommonPosts: 11
    edited August 2016
    Builds do not actually exist in Grim Dawn and neither do the different skills. Sure it says them on the screen, and sure you can physically pick which to things you want to use then keep adding things to those selections...but the reality is because of how the game is put together, builds and damage types do not actually exist.

So far not one gamer has provided any proof of anything, because they do not understand what it says CAN be done doesn't mean it is, and there is no confirmation to back up anything any gamer says about what is being done.

There is there is no combat log or any possible way to differentiate the skills and builds from one another. All that exists is a generic white damage number that is displayed off an enemy after it gets hit with an attack. There is nothing proving what damage has been done or that you actually wind up doing any set type of damage.

The thing that really gets me about this whole thing is despite there being no way to prove anything, idiots come out and say page II of the character sheet breaks everything down...UMMM what!!!

If there is nothing confirming you even did damage types, then WTF is page II of the character sheet proving. What goes through people's heads when they say completely idiotic comments like that?

Page II in the character sheet means jack S**T because there is no confirmation anything in page II is being done to an enemy after you hit it.

I'd really hate to see these people paying bills, They clearly just roll over for whatever something says without questioning it. Clearly from their mentality about the game, then they would get a bill from a company that says they owe the company $1000, and without any proof just roll over and pay it..because after all the bill has it right on it that I owe $1000 so that clearly means I owe it in other words their proof is something being written without any confirmation then say what's written, is the confirmation.
    Furthermore even though there is no possible way to know if an enemy even has resistances never mind which ones, the idiots that play this game actually think that if an the damage display number on an enemy is lower on one that it is another that somehow it's obviously has some resistances..Really...How can people really be this stupid to actually believe that they can know something without any proof whatsoever. It would be one thing if a gamer said I believe this is how this works because when I do hit this enemy it does this so it appears it's doing what I think. But gamers don't even do that, they say IT IS that way and think there is some proof

That same exact mentality applies to page II of the character sheet where just because page II of the character sheet says lightning damage, then you must be doing it..despite no proof of page II.

Furthermore there are no colored damage numbers to denote elemental damage such as purple for lightning that way if the damage number on the enemy was purple, you would be able to confirm that page II of the character sheet shows lightning is in fact actually doing lightning.

But instead any attack you do with any build and any skill are all the same it's a white generic damage display number.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,791
    Playing a Shaman/anything pretty well spoils all other builds - especially a Conjurer (Shaman Occultist.) 

Devouring swarm heals you while it DOTs packs down and then there's the Wendigo Totem for more of that self healing goodness...add the Occultist's Sigil of Consumption for still more of that self-healing based off damage and a Briarthorn pet to gather them up for you... it's hard to play anything else after that :)
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,790
    Iselin said:
    Playing a Shaman/anything pretty well spoils all other builds - especially a Conjurer (Shaman Occultist.) 

Devouring swarm heals you while it DOTs packs down and then there's the Wendigo Totem for more of that self healing goodness...add the Occultist's Sigil of Consumption for still more of that self-healing based off damage and a Briarthorn pet to gather them up for you... it's hard to play anything else after that :)
    The Shaman is amazing

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,537
    I've gone with Druid and a lightning rifle as my current weapon.

Just because damage types and details are hidden and obscured doesn't mean they don't exist and work. It just means you can't use a parser to validate theory.

My biggest gripe with their build systems is that "resets" are limited in functionality. Once you spend a certain amount within a discipline you can't recoup that which may limit build options. I love the way Diablo 3 works with skills, builds, gear, and traits. My build(s) in D3 are an ongoing evolution of experience and gear. I never feel locked into a bad choice and I understand my builds because I've had the freedom to experiment.

༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,537
    Iselin said:

The Shaman is amazing
    Yeah, I started Arcanist and kept coming back to a Shaman as my secondary because it's so awesome. I started a warrior, just to avoid Shaman, but I think that will be the secondary I pick.

My next character I'll just start Shaman and then pick something I like to go with it. :chuffed:

Still after playing the Demon Hunter / Monk duo with D3 all my other ARPGs are on the back burner for now, even Victor Vran.

༼ つ ◕◕ ༽つ

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,791
    Torval said:
    I've gone with Druid and a lightning rifle as my current weapon.

Just because damage types and details are hidden and obscured doesn't mean they don't exist and work. It just means you can't use a parser to validate theory.

My biggest gripe with their build systems is that "resets" are limited in functionality. Once you spend a certain amount within a discipline you can't recoup that which may limit build options. I love the way Diablo 3 works with skills, builds, gear, and traits. My build(s) in D3 are an ongoing evolution of experience and gear. I never feel locked into a bad choice and I understand my builds because I've had the freedom to experiment.
    Well yeah, the basic + within a class are not refundable so that's a re-roll issue if you find you don't like what you've done, but everything else is refundable (and cheaply so) including the Devotion constellations if you change your mind.

A bit of new player advise that helped me a lot when I started: focus on doing just one or two types of damage and look for gear that gives you a % increase to your chosen damage type.

It's one of the reasons I like the Conjurer so much: they're easy to gear for because you're basically looking just for + Life and + Bleeding damage gear.
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED