Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics are less important

Graphics are always a popular topic and cause of many arguments with the pros and cons of it all.

Like several of us I'm all over this site like a dog and have been for years.  I'm a free thinker and use hypothesis gathered from the large community and ignore the loud few trying to push their beliefs.  In my studies from General Discussions, sub forums, polls taken, Youtubes and my own experience, I've come to the solid conclusion graphics are far less important than game play.  

Graphics - You can't have both, add that everyone doesn't have the $600 video card.  It's only natural that the few that have would be vocal about graphics.  People will be trying to play on Laptops this is a fact, so it only makes sense to be more concerned about coding.  Blizzards World of Warcraft is cartoon style for a reason, they know it's all about coding, first and foremost.  People that don't play that game strictly because of the cartoon graphics are Hog Wash, it's a lie.  They simply don't like that game ! 

It's no secret mmos are hard to make.  It's no secret outstanding graphics require EXTREAMILY large resources. Way too much !

Developers trying to please this small but vocal group are self destructing themselves from the start. Games are way smaller and less deeper because of it, hence you have the 30 day game.

GOOD GRAPHICS ARE NOT WORKING OUT FOR ANYTHING NEW, lets finally face this fact !........developers need to ignore the few.

I'll leave you with this:

The cry baby - You can't give a child candy instead of dinner, why ruin everyone else's meal.  And this is where we stand, no one has anything to play !   

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    We have (in my view) gotten to a place of diminishing return on graphics. For a few decades that has not been true as one compares the video quality of Doom 1 to todays standard. However given graphics now I think game play has become more important.

This is a VOXEL game, everything in the game is a block and its made by a small team. so yeah graphics are no longer 'a thing'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I would like to slowly build my healer with at least medium armor and be able to melee fight and hold it's own.

I would like to craft stuff for him with a good crafting system where at the forge I'll not know the true quality of the piece I'm making until it's done, risking valuable resources. 

I would like a vast world to explore possibly with no quest in mind.  I would like to stand on top of a hill and see others fighting a dragon that I had no idea it was even their, then ask if I can join.

I would like to chat with this group and see if their is a potential friend to add to my list.

I would like to be stuck in a deep cave where I shouldn't of gone, then figure out how to get out of a sticky situation.

I would like soooo much content that finding a Guild would benefit us all.....Become a true member !

SCREW GRAPHICS ! 

I don't care that a dog is following me around a beautiful city.

I don't care that a band is playing a nice toon over near the forge.

I don't care that the npc has a nice smile, and tells a nice story in a cut scene.

I don't care that the trees are sparkling off the sun light.

I don't care about any of this stuff if the game only has 30 days of content, yet charming.....I'm a fighter/healer that makes a difference to others ! 

In my findings, many are with me, in fact almost everyone !!!!!!!!

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited August 2016

I don't care that the npc has a nice smile, and tells a nice story in a cut scene.

I don't care about any of this stuff if the game only has 30 days of content, yet charming.....I'm a fighter/healer that makes a difference to others ! 

nevermind I saw your earlier post disregard this post because I cant delete it

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

SEANMCAD said:

nevermind I saw your earlier post disregard this post because I cant delete it

Hart pounding hard action with like minded people.  A challenge and a REAL sense of adventure.

All this done with a community in a very large world :)

I don't care about a playground.  I'm a fighter/healer...............And like I say I really believe many feel the same.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Sure they are.  Of course you are just taking your "findings" from forums on the internet where a small portion of any player base even posts let alone actually looks at them.

If you are such a free thinker I suggest you separate yourself from the general thrust of any forum.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited August 2016

Where would you like resources being spent:

- A cute little puppy that latches on to your character and follows you all around the city.  If you stop it would stand up, bark then roll over ?

- Finding a mausoleum built in the thick underbrush next to a grave yard.  Inside is a single skeleton that would kick your butt unless you figured out that a blunt club would make a pile of bones on the floor ?  

Lack luster playgrounds....Make small mmos.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

and ignore the loud few trying to push their beliefs.

Damn, time to start ignoring yourself then. :chuffed:

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited August 2016
    To be fare how bad can they be with a new game, people need to stop taking what we have seen so far as final. 

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    For me bad graphics and animations are immersion breakers.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I suppose that if what you say is true, then Pantheon will have tens of millions of users. I guess time will tell. Until then I'll continue to disagree with you and point towards historical sales numbers over forum polls. I know what you're thinking, but I'm just crazy like that.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited August 2016

Where would you like resources being spent:

- A cute little puppy that latches on to your character and follows you all around the city.  If you stop it would stand up, bark then roll over ?

- Finding a mausoleum built in the thick underbrush next to a grave yard.  Inside is a single skeleton that would kick your butt unless you figured out that a blunt club would make a pile of bones on the floor ?  

Lack luster playgrounds....Make small mmos.

I don't think you understand how things are made.

I certainly hope you aren't one of those people who think that if they didn't spend money on "graphics" they would then be able to use it elsewhere.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If a game doesn't have good graphics, it's not on my list.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Odd to post a diatribe against graphic embellishments in a forum devoted to Pantheon.  As far as I can tell, the main focus of the game is exactly adding modern visuals and graphic embellishments to an EverQuest / Pantheon mash up.

Does this mean you're against this game, @delete5230 ?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    " Bad " graphics dont bother me as I have played games like Kingdom of Drakkar , Legends of Kesmai and Tibia over the years ( still go back a bit to play them ). However poor animations is a deal breaker for me. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    MMOs still need good graphics at launch, the game need to last for at least 5 years and if it already look ancient at launch it will soon be forgotten.

Wows graphics were not that bad at launch, but just like GW2 it had a very good engine for it's time. EQ2s graphics were just as good but it's engine was worse meaning it took and still takes a better computer to run it. I in fact get better FPS in GW2 then EQ2 with my computer still and I think we can agree that GW2 look way better.

That you wont be able to run a new game on a 5 year old laptop is just something you have to live with. There is of course possible that a games take too much resources at launch, both AoC and FF XIV had too harsh requirements at launch but that were mainly because neither game were optimized at launch and a year after launch when that was fixed both games run fine enough.

If you are a gamer and want to play new games you will probably have to upgrade your graphics card at least every third generation (and stay away from the cheapest card, a $50 card will not last very long). If you must have a laptop you should get one with a real graphics card instead of a integrated card. The mobility of a laptop has a price and a gaming laptop is far more expensive then a gaming desktop.
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    edited August 2016
    I do care a bit about graphic. But if the style and esthetic they choose is bad, i skip

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

sk8chalif said:
    I do care a bit about graphic. But if the style and esthetic they choose is bad, i skip

I'm with you, it's the art design that is, for me, most important.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sounds like Albion Online is right up the OPs alley and available today. Wonder if he's playing?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Why is this an issue? We know what engine they are using. We have seen screenshots and hours of game footage. We know what it's going to look like, in most major respects, graphics wise. 

OP keeps starting this false controversy (this is but one of many similar threads) that "some people" are arguing for nice graphics, while "other people" don't want that. As if it is some open question. 

What would you have them do? Scrap the engine? Start over? 

This false dichotomy between good graphics and good game play is a dog that just won't hunt. They are going to have both

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Amathe said:
    Why is this an issue? We know what engine they are using. We have seen screenshots and hours of game footage. We know what it's going to look like, in most major respects, graphics wise. 

OP keeps starting this false controversy (this is but one of many similar threads) that "some people" are arguing for nice graphics, while "other people" don't want that. As if it is some open question. 

This false dichotomy between good graphics and good game play is a dog that just won't hunt. They are going to have both
    I think hes a bit grumpy after realizing his old computer can't run it... ;)
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    So why should there have to be a compromise?  Why not have both.  Great graphics and great gameplay.

This is why todays games pale in comparison to the great games of the 90s.  Because developers and fans somehow feel the need you cannot have both great graphics and content.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Loke666 said:
    Amathe said:

I think hes a bit grumpy after realizing his old computer can't run it... ;)
    "If the graphics is good, then the game play is bad." Socrates, 401 BC.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2016
    Maybe my standards are too low but I thought the graphics looked pretty good so far. Then again I still think FFXI has good graphics compared to other mmos that came out around its time, on pc at least.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Good graphics is subjective. What most people won't stand for is clunky graphics and animations. WoW never had good graphics as far as level of detail, realism or polygon count. There is basically no standard you could put WoW through and judge its graphics as more than mediocre at best. However, it did have an amazing level of polish. Your actions and movements felt flowing and tactile. Your abilities looked impactful and animations and sound were well contrived.

Those are the things that are important. The game doesn't have to look photo-realistic as WoW has already proven for over 10 years.