Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game ready?

Comments

• AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 373
    edited August 2016
    The game is a huge cashcrab ...
    I am not even going to mention the p2w aspect that they just implemented (u can buy best class item at level 1 whit just your cc and no restrictions)
    The game costs 30euro and u pretty much get nothing from the initial purchase just access to the game.
    The game is one major grind , there is no story what so ever because the voice acting is horrible and there is no real immersion in the story what so ever...
    U have grind , just grind so u can get better gear...
    U will be paying way waaaaaaaaaaaay more then the initial cost of the game even in in your first month because there is no realistic way of playing the game on a satisfying/non fustrating level without purchasing at least 2 pets and the pvp costume.. even whit 2 pets , looting is a clusterf because there is so much shit to loot .... the pvp costume is a must at endgame.
    Thats 80euro that u will deposit in your first month alone .. then u have weight limit restriction ... yeh it's fun to go kill a few mobs that are 10-15 mins of horse ride away just so u can come back after 10 mins because u are *full* after picking up 3-4 items...
    Do yourself a favor and avoid this game.
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 373
    I am not even going to mention the p2w aspect that they just implemented (u can buy best class item at level 1 whit just your cc and no restrictions)
    The game costs 30euro and u pretty much get nothing from the initial purchase just access to the game.
    The game is one major grind , there is no story what so ever because the voice acting is horrible and there is no real immersion in the story what so ever...
    U will be paying way waaaaaaaaaaaay more then the initial cost of the game even in in your first month because there is no realistic way of playing the game on a satisfying/non fustrating level without purchasing at least 2 pets and the pvp costume.. even whit 2 pets , looting is a clusterf because there is so much shit to loot .... the pvp costume is a must at endgame.
    Thats 80euro that u will deposit in your first month alone .. then u have weight limit restriction ... yeh it's fun to go kill a few mobs that are 10-15 mins of horse ride away just so u can come back after 10 mins because u are *full* after picking up 3-4 items...
    This whole post is just wrong. You don't need to buy anything to play the game.
    No it is not ... u have yet to reach endgame i believe because what i said is 100% fact...
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    played it up to about lvl 20 on the free trial and found it very playable up to that level.  It's not what I would call a great game but it is good for what it is. I found it  fun in a Diablo sort of way where you kill a dozen mobs at a time , loot, rinse and repeat. Never died or came close. I found the game a bit simplistic but can see where some would love it. I might purchase and just play it as a time killer, or maybe not. Can't speak for the end game PvP but PvE up to mid lvl was amusing.

I miss DAoC

• cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181
    peanutabc said:
    Quizzical said:
    With my last Elsword character at the level cap and the complete inability of most MMORPGs to create a passable endgame, it's likely that I'll be looking for a new game soon.  I've got several games on my list to try, but am currently leaning toward Black Desert because:

a)  It's the only one on my list that has the potential to be really great, as opposed to merely pretty good, and
    b)  It has got a lot of non-combat activities, making it considerably different from the almost pure combat Elsword that I'd be coming from.

But the game only launched earlier this year, and a lot of games are a disastrous mess at launch but largely get fixed later.  I generally like to wait until such games are fixed before picking them up.  So my basic question is:

1)  Is Black Desert ready to go now, or is it likely to be a far superior game several months from now to what it is today?

This isn't asking if you like the game on an absolute scale; I'd have to decide that for myself.  It's asking if they're still in the process of delivering major fixes with some yet to come obviously on the horizon, or whether the game is unlikely to be much better several months from now than it is today.

Some other questions:

2)  Has hacking been fixed entirely, or at least to the point that it's no worse than most other MMORPGs?

I saw news that there was a patch that broke hacks a while back, after the game had previously had severe problems with hackers.  But there's a difference between changing random things that temporarily break hacks until they come back a week or two later, versus adding server-side verification to make entire classes of hacks permanently impossible.  So are the hackers back, or does it seem fixed?

3)  How "pay to win" is the game?

I have no problem with paying a moderate amount for a game that I like.  I have no problem with players who pay $10 or $20 per month having huge advantages over people who pay absolutely nothing.  But if someone who pays $50/month has no hope of competing with someone who pays $100/month, that's a problem.  So where does Black Desert land on this scale?

4)  Is it easy to transfer money, goods, etc. between alts?

I tend to play a lot of alts in most MMORPGs, unless game mechanics let one character readily do everything.  There are a variety of ways to do the latter, from no classes at all as in Spiral Knights to FFXIV's armory system, but it sure looks like Black Desert doesn't.  So can I freely transfer things back and forth among alts (e.g., mail or shared bank), or is it a pain or even categorically impossible?

5)  Just how non-consensual is the PVP?

I've seen that beyond level 45, it's open PVP.  Does that mean that past level 45, you can expect to constantly be ganked?  Or is it pretty restrictive so that you'll virtually never get attacked if you don't want to be?  For example, in Uncharted Waters Online, about half the world is open PVP, but there are such severe penalties to attacking people that I lost in PVP exactly three times in about two years, and all three were because I was careless.

6)  How grindy does the game feel?

I gather that Black Desert has pretty slow leveling.  But there's a huge difference between having a huge amount of varied content to go through to level up versus having to kill 1000 of the same thing to level up.  So does Black Desert feel grindy, or is there plenty to do on the way?  Or does it start feeling grindy at some particular level?

BDO is a shallow game

It's a "sandbox" that has nothing to do 

daum are rather terrible too.

zero balance

zerg pvp

handful of zones to grind to level efficiently at 50+ yet you'll want to be be 56 minimum to be competitive

buy to play with subscription( new item shop thing that lasts 30 days and gives absurd bonuses )

I claimed fraud and got my money back.

Felt good.

I also agree with you... Claimed fraud, tried to get refund and they did not accept it... How did that work for you?
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288
    edited August 2016
    You missed the boat already on BDO.

It's gone P2W and steadily dying.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited August 2016
    kitarad said:
    Quizzical said:
    Now I'm trying to figure out how much it will cost to play the game the way I want.  On the web site, it looks like there's a $30 "Traveler's Package" and a $50 "Explorer's Package".  I assume that you have to buy one of those to get access to the game, as the "Buy to Play" component of a game that now also has a subscription and an item mall.  Is that accurate?

On this site, I see stuff about US dollars, Daum cash, and Pearls:

http://bdo-fashion.com/pearl-shop-prices/

What's that about?  If it said $30 for 3200 Pearls, and then ignore Daum cash, it would make sense.  But what's the intermediate Daum cash for?

It looks like character slots are $6 each.  Multiply by five slots (five free slots, ten characters total) and that comes to $30, with a possible need to add more in the future if more classes are added.  The value pack is $15/month, with one or two months included with the initial purchase.  I'm trying to determine whether buying anything else beyond that is necessary.

You get 6 slots to start that should be enough to try some classes

Are costumes per character, as opposed to shared by all characters?  $22 for a costume is steep, but it looks like the stats are minor enough that I can ignore them.  If a game feels excessively grindy to me, a 10% experience bonus isn't going to fix it.

You get pearl cash rewards and it can add up to quite a bit and you can buy costumes with that.

I also see stuff about stable expansion, worker lodging expansion, and storage slot expansion.  Is that particularly necessary?  I have the impression that you get quite a few slots for free (or rather, bought purely with in-game money).  Is that accurate?

Those items you can earn in game by accumulating contribution points and purchasing those expansions with that.

Also, I see that there are a bunch of inventory expansion quests in the game.  Is that enough to make the inventory expansion in the item mall pretty unnecessary?  Also, is the inventory expansion stuff in the item mall on a per character basis or does it increase expansion for all characters on the account?

There are quests to increase inventory slots I make do with those.

Having a pet to automatically loot for you sounds pretty important.  Or maybe that's just coming from Elsword, where if you don't have a pet that can fetch, it takes as long to pick up loot as it does to kill mobs.  Is one pet plenty, or does the loot pickup rate make it too slow?  And are pets sharable by all characters on an account?
    Might need a pet as loot disappear if not picked up.

I read somewhere that the horse flute is not shared by characters on an account.  If that's so, $15/character is awfully steep, so I'll have to do without.

I think it is shared.
    Tried to answer some stuff am relatively new to game so hopefully others might help.
    The flute isn't shared. It's for one character. I need to check whether it's bound to that character, or if you can transfer it through the warehouse though. I believe it's the latter, but I'm hesitant to say it for sure without checking first. I'll look into it later.

Inventory, warehouse and even character slots can be bought with LP (loyalty points) which you get on logging on each day. In addition, as @kitarad mentioned, you can increase your inventory through quests.

Here's a list of all the quests that give inventory slots: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10hHbShPIf02IZYHS7pj0vYnnxq7WmPAl2I6o8ev69GU/edit#gid=0

Warehouse space you can get through contribution points in game, which you get from questing and from doing certain crafting professions (Alchemy and Cooking for sure, possibly from farming too).

Not having a pet IS obnoxious... but... if the oh so hated update (by some people anyway) does go through next week, you can just buy one off the Markplace for in game silver. Well... provided a) people are actually selling some, and b) they aren't bought up too quickly, since there are a lot of players that will be looking to increase the number of pets they have to 3.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

You could get pets through free in game events too.
    Hopefully they'll do more of those in the future as well, yes.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
     there is no story what so ever because the voice acting is horrible and there is no real immersion in the story what so ever...

The game is not about story so much as player interaction.

As far as immersion, there is quite a bit it's just woven into the "world" of the game. This game feel more like an "mmo", especially around the node wars. To see people congratulating people in world chat after a fight really sort of brings it all together.

Obviously the game is not for everyone but I suspect if people are used to the older pvp games such as Lineage/Lineage 2 they might like it.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Quizzical said:

Having a pet to automatically loot for you sounds pretty important.  
    I wasn't using a pet for the longest time then thought it would be fun to have a dog (named Murray from a book I was writing in high school) and realized it really let one get into "grinding" and made it so much more fluid. I then got a hawk because of some event or some such thing. However, I really don't feel like any more animals following me around even though some people have something like 4.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Sovrath said:
    Quizzical said:

Having a pet to automatically loot for you sounds pretty important.  
    I wasn't using a pet for the longest time then thought it would be fun to have a dog (named Murray from a book I was writing in high school) and realized it really let one get into "grinding" and made it so much more fluid. I then got a hawk because of some event or some such thing. However, I really don't feel like any more animals following me around even though some people have something like 4.
    Three is the max you can have out at one time.
    The early levels you can easily get by without a pet, but once you start fighting the more densely packed mobs, it gets incredibly tedious looting them all by hand. As you say, it puts a damper on the whole grinding thing.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    You can play for free?  I thought it was a "buy to play" model, so you had to pay an initial $30 to get access.  Has that changed?
    Even if that's an accurate depiction of the endgame, that's largely immaterial to deciding whether to pick up a game in the first place.  If I play for a year and have a lot of fun, then get to the endgame and it's terrible and I quit, then having a game that is fun for a year is still pretty good.

Besides, most MMORPG endgames are awful.  Adding pay to win as an additional reason why the endgame is awful doesn't make any difference unless the endgame had a chance of being good in the first place.  Black Desert's endgame doesn't look promising at all on that count, even if you were to remove the item mall entirely.  It's the lower to mid level content--that is, most of the game--that looks more interesting.
    Quizzical said:
    You can play for free?  I thought it was a "buy to play" model, so you had to pay an initial $30 to get access.  Has that changed?
    I think what he's saying is you don't need to buy anything once you make your initial purchase. You also get loyalty points that you can spend on things in their shop so it very well could be true.

peanutabc said:
    Quizzical said:
    With my last Elsword character at the level cap and the complete inability of most MMORPGs to create a passable endgame, it's likely that I'll be looking for a new game soon.  I've got several games on my list to try, but am currently leaning toward Black Desert because:

a)  It's the only one on my list that has the potential to be really great, as opposed to merely pretty good, and
    b)  It has got a lot of non-combat activities, making it considerably different from the almost pure combat Elsword that I'd be coming from.

But the game only launched earlier this year, and a lot of games are a disastrous mess at launch but largely get fixed later.  I generally like to wait until such games are fixed before picking them up.  So my basic question is:

1)  Is Black Desert ready to go now, or is it likely to be a far superior game several months from now to what it is today?

This isn't asking if you like the game on an absolute scale; I'd have to decide that for myself.  It's asking if they're still in the process of delivering major fixes with some yet to come obviously on the horizon, or whether the game is unlikely to be much better several months from now than it is today.

Some other questions:

2)  Has hacking been fixed entirely, or at least to the point that it's no worse than most other MMORPGs?

I saw news that there was a patch that broke hacks a while back, after the game had previously had severe problems with hackers.  But there's a difference between changing random things that temporarily break hacks until they come back a week or two later, versus adding server-side verification to make entire classes of hacks permanently impossible.  So are the hackers back, or does it seem fixed?

3)  How "pay to win" is the game?

I have no problem with paying a moderate amount for a game that I like.  I have no problem with players who pay $10 or $20 per month having huge advantages over people who pay absolutely nothing.  But if someone who pays $50/month has no hope of competing with someone who pays $100/month, that's a problem.  So where does Black Desert land on this scale?

4)  Is it easy to transfer money, goods, etc. between alts?

I tend to play a lot of alts in most MMORPGs, unless game mechanics let one character readily do everything.  There are a variety of ways to do the latter, from no classes at all as in Spiral Knights to FFXIV's armory system, but it sure looks like Black Desert doesn't.  So can I freely transfer things back and forth among alts (e.g., mail or shared bank), or is it a pain or even categorically impossible?

5)  Just how non-consensual is the PVP?

I've seen that beyond level 45, it's open PVP.  Does that mean that past level 45, you can expect to constantly be ganked?  Or is it pretty restrictive so that you'll virtually never get attacked if you don't want to be?  For example, in Uncharted Waters Online, about half the world is open PVP, but there are such severe penalties to attacking people that I lost in PVP exactly three times in about two years, and all three were because I was careless.

6)  How grindy does the game feel?

I gather that Black Desert has pretty slow leveling.  But there's a huge difference between having a huge amount of varied content to go through to level up versus having to kill 1000 of the same thing to level up.  So does Black Desert feel grindy, or is there plenty to do on the way?  Or does it start feeling grindy at some particular level?

BDO is a shallow game

It's a "sandbox" that has nothing to do 

daum are rather terrible too.

zero balance

zerg pvp

handful of zones to grind to level efficiently at 50+ yet you'll want to be be 56 minimum to be competitive

buy to play with subscription( new item shop thing that lasts 30 days and gives absurd bonuses )

I claimed fraud and got my money back.

Felt good.

How did you get refund?
    They did not accept my refund request.
  • NoxiasNoxias Member UncommonPosts: 23
    edited August 2016
    BDO is awesome i've played off and on over the past year. i do not pvp just mainly do quest and work on professions, the combat is fun. but if you can get past the fact that the game will be going p2w next week it still is a very fun game and worth checking out (imo) 
  • SilverfauveSilverfauve Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Greetings,

The game is as grindy as you make it. Personally I made it to level 56 without doing much of it. Levelling to level 50 can be done very fast and if you want to within a day. They keep making levelling above level 50 a bit easier every so often anyways. I went from 55 to 56 in 3 short grinding sessions in Mediah and Valencia, perhaps a total of 4- 5 hours worth in the experience weekend and with all buffs I could get my hands on. So to me it doesn't feel like a grind game at all but ofcourse there are also people that go farm for an ogre ring every waking hour for 3 weeks in a row and then burn out and complain the game is so grindy...

So it all comes down to your own approach. I am here for the long run as a MMO-player and usually stick around for a couple of years. It doesn't matter to me if I am getting the best gear in 3, 6 or 12 months: I know I'll get there in the end and rather enjoy the journey and all the game has to offer. And that is lot. This is definite the best MMO out there atm. Graffics are insane, amount of content is flabbergasting and combat system is great. I love the node wars and the life skills. But I do think you need to be an allround MMO-player to fully appreciate this game: if you are a hardcore PvP player and don't want to do PvE and crafting, it might not be the best pick as in BDO all those things are related and connected. 

As for all this P2W-talk: it isn't. You can pay for convenience and buffs, and all you gain is a bit of time saving. But someone who doesn't spend a dime in the cash shop will get the best gear in the end as well and doesn't have a real disadvantage. Like in every MMO, there is a small minority ahead of the rest, but that doesn't effect my game play. Sure, I might run into a top geared level 60 and be toast, but more often I'll meet opponents that are equal to me. And honestly, who laughs in the end: the one that catches up over time or the one that spends a years rent on the game only to be caught up to after a while? ;-)

• PapasmervPapasmerv Member UncommonPosts: 63
    DMKano said:
    @Papasmerv at the time of your quitting how many active players remained in your guild?
    I'm a member of The Old Timers Guild (OTG) and we had four XL Guilds (100 player cap) that were 85-95% utilized since Launch.  There were fluctuations during the 5 months I played, some having to do with a reorg we conducted shortly after the Node Wars went Live.  I'm going to guess we had between 250-300 active players amongst the 4 guilds at the time I quit.  I'll define active as playing daily.
    What every dev/pub should stand behind: "We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in [INSERT GAME NAME]."
    Is it still pay to win if they won't take your money?

I had been planning on finishing up some things in Elsword, then buying Black Desert.  A patch today in Elsword removed access to the stuff I had been planning on finishing, so I decided to just pick up Black Desert today instead.  I bought the $50 bundle to get access to the game.

Black Desert's web site says the transaction was rejected.  I called my credit card company and they said it was approved.  I submitted a ticket and haven't heard back from Daum.  They're probably busy with spurious chargebacks at the moment, but I'd think that accepting the money of people trying to offer it would be a priority.
  • PapasmervPapasmerv Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Quizzical said:
    Is it still pay to win if they won't take your money?

I had been planning on finishing up some things in Elsword, then buying Black Desert.  A patch today in Elsword removed access to the stuff I had been planning on finishing, so I decided to just pick up Black Desert today instead.  I bought the $50 bundle to get access to the game.

Black Desert's web site says the transaction was rejected.  I called my credit card company and they said it was approved.  I submitted a ticket and haven't heard back from Daum.  They're probably busy with spurious chargebacks at the moment, but I'd think that accepting the money of people trying to offer it would be a priority.
    Sounds to me like they took your money but the website account page isn't updating.  ie you paid but can't play.  Pay2NotPlay.  GG Kakao.
    What every dev/pub should stand behind: "We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in [INSERT GAME NAME]."
  • AndersweltAnderswelt Member UncommonPosts: 23
    edited August 2016
    Happened a lot at the start of the game some people waited months to get their money back or access to the game or the items they bought, oh and don't count on their support ticket waiting times are generally a few weeks to months as well (and you only get more then a copy/pasted response if you are really lucky).
    I actually did get a reply to the ticket today.  I can be summaried as "please give us money".

The reply looks like a copy/paste to me:

----------------------------------------------

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting the Black Desert Online Customer Support.

Yesterday, we had a little issue with our website and some transactions may have gone through but the Daum Cash wasn't sent.

I can tell you that we have cancelled those transactions and the money should be back on your bank account in a few days. The issue on our website being solved, you can make a purchase and the Daum Cash will be sent to you.

I am really sorry for the inconvenience and I thank you for your patience and understanding.

If you have any other issue, please do not hesitate to reply to this email or to contact us again in the future.

Kind regards,

GM Vheena
    Black Desert Online Customer Support

---------------------------------------------

It does at least address what happened, even if I wasn't buying Daum Cash.  So at least it was the correct copy/paste.  But my computer died last night, so I'm going to put buying the game again on hold until I fix it or figure out what to do about it.

• sync8sync8 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    edited August 2016
    Use the money for better stuff.
    I sent an e-mail Monday about Refund... They still did not reply.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

I know about 20 people who have got their money back at this point, lol too funny for this shit company.

I tried to buy Black Desert on Wednesday, and not only did it fail, but my computer died that night.  So I didn't try again until getting situated mixing parts from my new and old computers.  Now I'm trying again, and this time the purchase went through.  I'm downloading it now.  Thank you to everyone for the helpful answers to questions.

I still have some concerns about how gamepad-friendly the game will be, but games that offer keyboard only controls tend to be fine there.  Requiring constant mouse usage to choose targets to turn the camera are the big killers for gamepad usage.