Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did You Ever Think Jane Austen Needed an MMO? Yeah Me Either But These People Did

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Fighting with words. Sounds like a flamer's paradise.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I bet it will become a "your mama so poor" shit-talk fest in no time :awesome:

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    We've covered this from time to time in the past. It's on the games list and there are at least 1-2 features about it as well. It's a totally different take on the genre, that's for sure.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7963

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited August 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Wats0ns1803: "/z WWW.ALLTHETEAINCHINA.COM FOR CHEAPEST POUNDS, CRUMPETS & DOILIES!!!! FAST DELIVERY 24-7!
  • Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    edited August 2016
    RIVETING ACTION!

[FADE IN: Posh living room decorated in 19th century fashion. LORD STIFFLEBOTTOM is seated in a position of prominence with OTHER GUESTS sitting around him as they drink tea. A BUTLER comes in and delivers a gilded envelope which LORD STIFFLEBOTTOM opens. ]

Lord Stifflebottom: (reading) Hmmph. It seems I have contracted the pox. 

Lady Susan Butterbiscuit: Oh dear, how very unfortunate.

Lord Stifflebottom: Indeed. 

Butler: Should I search the group finder for a physician, Sir?

Lord Stifflebottom: No need old chap, this missive is from the only one in the game.

Baron Blutherington (in a thick, nearly incomprehensible accent): Be Jove then ahs fairs tis gone beh loights aught fer they then, eh Guvner?

Lord Stifflebottom: Yes yes, would seem so.

[ Lady Susan Butterbiscuit stands and promptly faints from her corset. The Butler catches her. PASTOR GOODLYBUM enters the room.] 

Pastor Goodlybum (to Butler): Is she all right then?

Butler: Indeed, suh. She purchased the Fainting Emote last week, no need for concern.

Lady Susan Butterbiscuit (not opening eyes): I very well plan to use it, too! 

Lord Stifflebottom: Hmmph. Apparently. Even at the cost of decorum it would seem.

[Everyone gasps in shock at the insult]

Lady Susan Butterbiscuit: I never!

Lord Stifflebottom: I beg your forgiveness. This whole dying from the pox business has ill affected one of my four humors I fear.

Butler: Should I send a messenger for the undertaker, Sir? 

Lord Stifflebottom: Yes old man, I think that would be prudent. 

[Butler leaves, dragging Lady Susan Butterbiscuit out with him]

Pastor Goodlybum: Shall we pray, my Lord?

Baron Blutherington: Ih seems ta mah tha' wots needed is ah strong dose o' tha spirits, verily, buh naught th' kind ye be callin' upon der Pastor!

Lord Stifflebottom (to Pastor): Did you roll Catholic or Anglican? 

Pastor Goodlybum: Does it matter? 

Lord Stifflebottom: Very much so, yes. 

Pastor Goodlybum: I must confess to being a papist, my Lord.

Lord Stifflebottom: Hmmmph! 

[Awkward silence. Everyone sips tea. The Butler comes back in.]

Butler: Are you dead yet, Sir?

Lord Stifflebottom: Not quite I'm afraid. 

Butler: Will that be all then Sir?

Lord Stifflebottom: Yes, yes, thank you.

Butler: I'll be leveling up my Dusting if you need me then. 

[Butler exits.]

[FADE OUT as members of the party sip tea, a sense of impropriety hanging heavy in the air.]

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I played this in the earliest alphas.
    The character is extremely slow moving and you only have a first person view.

It was fun playing this however because you could explore and find all those typical alpha bugs.
    I remember you could run into a wall on the opposite site of the street and inside the wall would be a woman which was kind of creepy lol
    If you took your time and wandered 20 minutes in the same direction you would actually find the end of the world and you could jump off which would make your character fall slowly and indefinitely.

I checked again recently but from what I can tell this game suffered a similar fate as the ambitious Venus Rising. There are little to no updates and if you want to get into the alpha you will have to pay - overall the forum seemed pretty silent.

It's a shame really as this game provided a new experience.. though not a very manly one so I wouldn't brag to my gamer friends that I raised my reputation enough to have tea with the noble lady from next door...
    Harbinger of Fools
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    ROFL sassy that was a fun read.

• Fish_TacosFish_Tacos Member UncommonPosts: 45
    edited August 2016
    I think it's awesome that someone is trying to make a game like this. 

I would love to see a virtual world with an up-to-date game like Second Life (I've never played it but I've watched a couple of vids) where you could do all kinds of stuff besides kill (although it would be cool even if there were some certain zones ("dangerous" parts of town) where you might have some risky behavior with consequences.

Not just for erp either, but with markets for people who like trading, building, design, all kinds of player creations, etc.

And LOVE @Sassy_Gay_Unicorn

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    I've had a DM where the kill option was strongly discouraged, without a lot of effort.  Wasn't bad since they were good with their NPCs, and good at getting the weaker roleplayers up to speed.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    I remember this. Glad it exists.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Call me when they add the zombies in, please!

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Victorian Literature was the focus of my undergraduate studies.  I mostly concentrated on Oscar Wilde, Walter Pater, Swinburne, Baudelaire and the like.  I really enjoyed the writings and studies of the aestheticists, hedonists and decadent writers who, unlike most Victorians who saw art as purely utilitarian or didactic, enjoyed art for the sake of art.

Jane Austen, Dickens and the Bronte Sisters are also some of my favorite authors of the period with Wuthering Heights being one of my all time favorite books.

All of that being said, I can't really see myself playing a game based purely around their writings. I enjoy those works of literature a great deal, but role playing in that setting without some kind of supernatural kicker to give it excitement would be a bit droll.

• stio89stio89 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    edited August 2016
    So players pvp eachother using like shakespeare and stuff?

You scullion i'll tickle your catastrophe! xD
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Call me when they add the zombies in, please!
    That would be an amazing twist in development. Modeled after Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

That would actually make it really interesting and add some combat gameplay. One night you party at the ball, the next you go out in the wilderness and slay the evil zombie faction trying to take over England.

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Albatroes said:
    Fighting with words. Sounds like a flamer's paradise.
    Hah, you're talking about flamer's paradise? None the better than MMORPG.com!

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    SBFord said:
    We've covered this from time to time in the past. 

WHAT?!  And this is the first I'm hear about this.  I just watched Becoming Jane for the fifteenth time this past weekend.  I already have tickets to this year's Madrigal Dinner on three different nights.  I know, different time period, that's not the point.  It's Plum F'ing Pudding and Crackers!  

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Konfess said:
    SBFord said:

WHAT?!  And this is the first I'm hear about this.  
    Yep, they did, that was my first thought as well, just couldn't find it, luckily Suzie posted the interview (I hope if... :wink: I mean when the new forum goes live, the search function will be better). There were news entries too I think.
    It's an interesting idea. A bit clunky, but peeps always seek something "new", and it definitely is something new :lol:
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    The involvement of women in gaming is still incredibly low. Perhaps a mmorpg like this is an attempt to address that? And maybe we should try to understand women's inverse view of our own (male) interests. Something along the lines of my almost preferring a red hot poker being thrust in my eye rather than ever having to read Jane Austin again.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Po_gg said:
    Konfess said:
    SBFord said:

WHAT?!  And this is the first I'm hear about this.  
    Yep, they did, that was my first thought as well, just couldn't find it, luckily Suzie posted the interview (I hope if... :wink: I mean when the new forum goes live, the search function will be better). There were news entries too I think.
    It's an interesting idea. A bit clunky, but peeps always seek something "new", and it definitely is something new :lol:
    What?!  This isn't the new server yet?

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Elizabeth Bennet is overpowered. Nerf plz.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited August 2016
    Goldshire: The Video Game :awesome:

RP heaven

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    http://www.everjane.com/

Ever, Jane is an on-line role-playing game set in the virtual world of Regency England and the works of Jane Austen. Unlike many multi-player games, it's not about kill or be killed but invite or be invited. Gossip is our weapon of choice. Instead of raids, we will have grand balls. Instead of dungeons, we will have dinner parties.

At the moment, we don't have any of these. What we do have, is a village centred round a tree-lined village green, with houses where you may "squat" and soon even own and redecorate to your taste. Please feel free to role-play with your friends in and around the village.

This needs a GTA-V mashup.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"