Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Can't You Find A Game?

12346»

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Because i don't find innovation for 10+ years in this genre.

Good thing about the lack of interesting mmorpgs is that i found a ton of other great games that i otherwise wouldn't have noticed.

So, i do find good games...i just don't find any good mmorpgs. And those games i found made it even more clear to me how far the mmorpg genre is lacking innovation.

• ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Gorwe said:
    Oh and one more thing:

Often it's not that I can't find a game I'd like. Often it's that I HAVE PLAYED almost all games I'd like and there are few new games coming out that have what I'm looking for.

I feel this is a much more common complaint.
    I can understand that.
    Yet there are many old school games being made. It is just a matter of waiting for them to come out.
    Never did I suggest anyone play a game they do not want to play. I never once said "Go play WOW"
    Yet that is what some people think they hear because that is the way they feel the industry has pushed them.
    I get that. I was a Lineage and Asheron's Call player. For years.
     I still play Lineage on occasion through VPN with my brother back home in Songpa.
     People just need to understand that the WOW phase has passed and we are entering a new era for the MMO through the passionate Indie developers who cut their teeth on the same games we all did.
    I honestly believe we are on the cusp of an MMORPG renaissance. I, for one, am excited about it.

I'm not big into the WoW era of mmos but I'm currently enjoying playing WoW and I never touched themeparks until the disappoint of swtor because of my expectations of sandbox gameplay(cause I was an idiot).

I have been playing other games to wait for The Repopulation, Divergence Online, and Star Citizen but I decided to stop having such a critical pessimistic view against themeparks a couple years ago and enjoy for what the game is best at. WoW has always been dominate in their raiding and pve content for what the game is. Expectations can ruin people's game experiences, take it from me. My advice is also to just wait and see but if your that desperate to play an mmo right now, don't have pessimistic views against themeparks bro. Chill and have fun.

I would even potentionally play swtor again if they merge the legacy servers into their collection system so basically the legacy is account wide not server wide. And have 1 NA and 1 EU servers with PvP/PvE/RP instances.

My complaint however, is that there are too many mmos out there that will divide the mmo playerbase. Its releasing like candy these days compared to years ago.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236
    edited August 2016
    Day after day and month after month and year after year many people post they can not find a MMO they like and/or will play.
    What we do know is that there are more MMO games out today than there ever has been in the genre's history.
    We all know the 'perfect' game does not nor will not ever exist.
    Post after post on numerous forums across the internet, people post about looking for a game to play and then rattle off a feature list of said game.
    The list is usually prefaced by 12 or so different games they have already played and tired of.
    The reality is the perfect game is not hidden. It just does not exist.
    Often times those same people turn to forum PvP out of frustration. Bashing every game that comes out and belittling any player and lover of said game because that game did not meet their expectations for an ideal experience.
    Half the time (Or more) these people do not even know what they want.

So my advice? Get over yourselves.

If you can not find a game that suits your taste and desires in an MMO, perhaps it is time to step away from the genre and allow the market to bear the fruit you are looking to consume.

Enough with the Forum PvP

Enough with the game shaming and blame gaming. 
    It boils down to integrity (old school) verses pay to win (today's crap).

Originally, MMORPG's were as close to playing a character likened unto playing a Pen & Paper RPG, as you could possibly imagine. Character development had some depth to it at least.

Today, replace MMORPG's with Chess. Now imagine you and-or your opponent can PAY to buy extra Queens, Rooks, Bishops, Kings and Moves. Oh wait, no imagination needed, just play any F2P P2W crap today.

Oh yes, and did I forget, we can also strip all of what made the RPG aspects away from the MMORPG. Today we have so-called MMO's, of which also happen to be solo.

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Way to say some cool stuff but then follow it will stupid stuff that will get your post deleted.

At least preserve your legacy before getting banned by separating your insults in another post!

• VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Project 1999
    Everquest
    Asheron's Call
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Anarchy Online
    Ultima Online (even some private servers?)
    SWGEmu
    Everquest 2
    Project Gorgon
    Lineage II
    LOTRO
    FF XIV
    FFXI
    Tell me you're not that ignorant as to think all these "old games" you listed are anything like what they once were.  With the exception of P1999, FF XIV (only a couple of years old), and Project Gorgon (a work in progress), none of the above is the same experience it once was.  What?  No mention of Wurm?

Players who "just don't get" what many "old schoolers" are talking about see one, maybe two features (tab targeting, difficult combat, hurtful death penalty, bad animations) and think, "Hey!  Old School!"  It is not any ONE features, but how many of them fit together.  "Wild Star has old school mechanics!"  Yea, with telegraphing attacks.  Never saw that in EQ.  It is so easy to hold up one (or in your case 13) game and say, "Go.  Play.  Enjoy."  Yet you just don't understand...

My point still stands. If you can not find a game that suits your needs step away from the genre until something comes along that does. Until then play other things besides MMOs. Seems pretty simple really.
    I have.

VG

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Cyberpunk 2077 seems interesting, but unfortunately it will be a single player game. I hope, if it is any good, they can try make an MMO game out of it. It would be super easy to make a great Cyberpunk game.
  • er.dier.di Member UncommonPosts: 12
    My biggest problem is that almost ALL modern mmorpgs try to cater to casual players who want to go online for 15 minutes and get legendary loot as fast as possible. You don't event have to move, just open your mailbox and inventory and you get all the items that you need for the rest of your life. If those are not enough, then simply open the ridicilous Item Shop and buy everything you need. 

I want a mmorpg with modern graphics, where grouping and socializing with players all around the world is encouraged and people have to WORK together, fight difficult stuff and celebrate victories together. All this has been lost after a decade of shitty mmorpgs.
  • noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    "We all know the 'perfect' game does not nor will not ever exist. "

Aaaah, but it did.

It's name was Star Wars Galaxies. If you never played it - and it came out about fifteen years ago - you can't imagine how good it was, even with all its many faults and flaws. And then, in 2005. they destroyed it. 
  • noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

My point still stands. If you can not find a game that suits your needs step away from the genre until something comes along that does. Until then play other things besides MMOs. Seems pretty simple really.
    I have.
    I have been waiting ten years now for a replacement for Star Wars Galaxies.

That's a long, long time.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    noncley said:
    "We all know the 'perfect' game does not nor will not ever exist. "

Aaaah, but it did.

It's name was Star Wars Galaxies. If you never played it - and it came out about fifteen years ago - you can't imagine how good it was, even with all its many faults and flaws. And then, in 2005. they destroyed it. 

Would you say mostly because it was built around community ?
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I thought swg was pretty boring. My brother liked it though. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    No there is not anything that looks to be catering to grouping.

Pantheon MIGHT be,way too early to tell.Problem i have is the way i liked a game to be designed "early FFXi" grouping was always the way and NOT just for some raid or to take down some boss.
    Now obviously all of mmorpg gaming needs tweaks and improvements,nobody is saying THAT old game was or is the best as i DO expect improvements over the years ,not backwards gaming.

A perfect small example,i don't think we need to see groups take on a rabbit or a worm,that would be silly.Point being we need more plausible realism in these games.

There is still such a HUGE large gaping hole in system design,seems the industry lacks good system designers and badly.Example why is nobody creating a game where you might enhance your agility and mind hunting down rabbits and strength,endurance to hunt down large foes?Instead every creature in a game is treated equal,not much plausible meaning to game design,it is like cookie cutter 101,hurry up and make money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Zer0KZer0K Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I can't find an MMORPG that I like now, because I've played them for many years already.
    So, I've seen quite a bit of things I like and don't like, but have really refined what I LIKE in
    an MMO, and I see less and less of that in the industry....

Some reasons hard to find a good MMO for me:

• BEEN THERE, DONE THAT
    Partly, it's the 'Been There, Done That' syndrome.
    I mean, there are common mechanics across most all MMOs, and once you've experienced that in several/more MMOs, it starts to get bland.

• GRIND
    Another part is the 'GRIND'.
    This is related to the advent of game cash shops and they go hand in hand.
    But first, let's talk about the grind.  Being an MMO vet, I've had plenty of experience questing
    in MMOs that had some small grind, however most earlier MMOs had good quests, and even story driven chain quests.
    These quests were fun, with good story-telling and various interesting parts of the quest
    that took you many places, doing many different things, being rewarded along the way, making
    friends along the way, etc etc.
    Now, a lot of games skimp on the quality PvE story quest aspect of the MMO and insert lazy and uninspired
    quests which involved grinding tons of mobs.  =  GRIND....
    Now, the GRIND has been here for a while, but recently accentuated by games like ArcheAge and Black Desert.  You can't rule out GW2 either, as getting materials to make your legendary involved(s) countless camping certain areas to grind as much mobs as you can to get the materials.

• CASH SHOP / P2W
    For me, an MMO shouldn't be about taking short-cuts with real-world money.  I'm OK for vanity cosmetic items to be sold on a cash shop.  However, when it comes down to direct and indirect P2W items, I'm vehemently against this!
    There are some pretty good MMOs out there in several aspects, but they contain bland boring PvE content, with tons of GRIND, and employ direct/indirect P2W cash shop.
    The GRIND is there on PURPOSE to put incentive to the player to pay real-world money in order to help avoid the GRIND.  I mean, let's face it, who thinks it's fun to grind 5000 mobs just to get a piece of gear.  A piece of gear that will be quickly obsolete after several levels of gaming anyways..
    So, It's really hard for me to invest my time into a game (and even pay for some subscription), when the game has a cash shop with direct/indirect P2W.

• LACK OF SEAMLESS GAME-WORLD
    MMOs really need to be seamless IMO.  It help makes the world more genuine and the experience more immersive.
    There are some nice games out there (i.e. GW2) that shove loading screens in your face for just about everything.  ArcheAge gives a great seamless world experience, and even the 2007 title 'Vanguard: Saga of Heroes' was mostly seamless.
    Games really NEED to do this.  Sure, it's not interactive gameplay, but passive surrounding gameplay definitely helps fill the experience.

The above are JUST SOME of the reasons it's hard for ME to find a good MMO that I can call home.
    I'm not one who likes to jump to a different MMO every 2-3 months.
    I like longevity and being immersed into the MMO.  To me, an MMO is an investment of my time.
    So, I don't want to waste my time in and MMO, for example, doing hours upon hours of mindless GRINDING..

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited August 2016
    Vanguard wasn't  seamless at all. They were just invisible and called them chunk lines. But they were there and  still caused stuttering  and loading. 

Grind was far worse in the days before cash shops  became big so really grind is separate  from shops.
    Post edited by VengeSunsoar on
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 647
    edited August 2016
    If you're like me, you're about 40 years old and have been playing MMOs since before they were "massive" and you had to wait for your 14.4 modem to catch up with you.

Problem is, I've seen them all and played them all before. There's nothing new being introduced to the genre, only tired old recycled crap under different names. The reason I and others like me can't find a game? Even though there might be 20 newer titles out there, they're really just 3 games to choose from and chances are, we've played them already.

You have the FPS action/shooter/small server games like DayZ (Quake). You have the hand-holding, training wheels, happy, feel good games like Rift (World of Warcraft). And you have the hardcore, gank everything that moves games like Darkfall (Ultima Online). All are essentially the same tired, old games I've been playing for the past 20 years.

It's rare that anything new to the genre comes out and when it does, it usually gets watered-down and homogenized to blend more smoothly into the sea of crap already out there.