Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we have a facepalm button please?

Comments

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    bartoni33 said:
    I was considering this myself...well, not a "facepalm" button, but a "disagree" button (which would mean "respectfully disagree") :). I do not think it is right that people are often using "LOL" button to express disagreement in a rather rude manner.

LOL should be used when laughing with someone not at someone, in my opinion.
    I agree with Disagree over Facepalm.

But when you give us 3 options that are basically the same without an option that is in the opposite you have forced us to make do with what you have been given. Don't tell us "hey you can give opinions on posts now, but only if they are positive". This is the Internet, not day care.
    Honestly people in day care should not be pampering kids with only "positive view", they need to criticize kids and show them their faults to make them better human beings.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Disagreeing in this time?!?!? How preposterous!
    We wouldn't want to resort back to the world before the 2000's that was horrible and most people had thicker skin! *shudders*
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Gdemami said:
    bartoni33 said:
    All of the current buttons are meant to be positive reinforcement.
    There is no such thing as "positive reinforcement button". I thought I was fairly explicit on that one...

You reinforce certain attitude, than can be either "positive" or "negative", via same button.

It swing both ways:

If you agree with a troll post, you do not find it trolling in the first place.
    Just as because you don't find it trolling does not mean it isn't.(hattrick negative!)

etc.

You are just pretending you represent some universal point of view, you don't.
    This has been an enlightening conversation in respects to what/how you post here. Honestly.

With that I am done.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    You can always post "I disagree."
    Meh. Then you have to/are asked to give a reason why.

A button would be so much more convenient! No one asks why you clicked a certain button.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    bartoni33 said:
    Meh. Then you have to/are asked to give a reason why.

A button would be so much more convenient! No one asks why you clicked a certain button.
    heh, what a weak stance to take.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Yeah, I have to vote NO on that one. All current options are positive feedback on the post one way or another. Negative buttons are just going to be abused to hell.

For some strange reason people are much more likely to overuse/abuse negative feedback buttons that positive feedback buttons.
    hfztt said:
    Yeah, I have to vote NO on that one. All current options are positive feedback on the post one way or another. Negative buttons are just going to be abused to hell.

For some strange reason people are much more likely to overuse/abuse negative feedback buttons that positive feedback buttons.
    My experience on internet tells me that people will use a positive feedback option to enforce negative feedback that they agree with or trolling if you wanna call it. in this very forums i have seen this happening, people constantly agreeing or clicking awesome to a nonsensical post filled with fallacy simply because they agree with the rant and anyone else who disagree they just give "lol".  What i want here is to stop that abuse of "lol" button because i have said it already : getting "lol" for my lame jokes is important to me!!

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    bartoni33 said:
    ...you are slowly getting to my point :-P
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Look, I appreciate the humor in your post OP, and sometimes I would like to click a facepalmwtfbbq! button too. The problem is that when you add any type of negative button to forums, then it discourages discussion.

When two people agree on something, then they can simply show their level of agreement by clicking agree. If something is new information or a peek into the inner workings of a game that they didn't know about before, then there's the insightful button.

But the second you add a disagree or facepalm button, then you begin the downward reddit cycle of people posting a controversial subject and then getting downvoted into oblivion with no real discussion taking place.

Eventually people who are "facepalmed" enough will just leave.  Bad for ad revenue, bad for discussion and before long we become a community full of reach around gamers agreeing with everything that each other says.
    hfztt said:

My experience on internet tells me that people will use a positive feedback option to enforce negative feedback that they agree with or trolling if you wanna call it. in this very forums i have seen this happening, people constantly agreeing or clicking awesome to a nonsensical post filled with fallacy simply because they agree with the rant and anyone else who disagree they just give "lol".  What i want here is to stop that abuse of "lol" button because i have said it already : getting "lol" for my lame jokes is important to me!!

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS
    Again, what you or anybody else sees as "a nonsensical post filled with fallacy" is not set in stone. I see that shit all the time in certain sub-forums here but I understand that those that agree with "a nonsensical post filled with fallacy" are stating their opinion on it. It may very well be bullshit in reality but to them it isn't. Opinions can be wrong. But as a forum they have to be accepted. Calling the use of positive buttons on what you consider "a nonsensical post filled with fallacy" is not abusing said buttons.

Me and others using LOL as a negative IS abusing said button. THAT is where your argument should be focusing. I am not a thin-skinned SJW pansy. I could handle a "dislike" button. I would be forced to. It would happen daily. But I would proudly wear my Disses as a medal of honor, as would many here, including some posting in this very thread. I say bring it on Mods!

H0urg1ass said:
    Look, I appreciate the humor in your post OP, and sometimes I would like to click a facepalmwtfbbq! button too. The problem is that when you add any type of negative button to forums, then it discourages discussion.

When two people agree on something, then they can simply show their level of agreement by clicking agree. If something is new information or a peek into the inner workings of a game that they didn't know about before, then there's the insightful button.

But the second you add a disagree or facepalm button, then you begin the downward reddit cycle of people posting a controversial subject and then getting downvoted into oblivion with no real discussion taking place.

Eventually people who are "facepalmed" enough will just leave.  Bad for ad revenue, bad for discussion and before long we become a community full of reach around gamers agreeing with everything that each other says.
    Yep and this is why we will never see any negative buttons.

That is not a good thing. Everybody likes a good circle-jerk. It currently happens here all the time. But as I stated earlier if you give us 4 positive options and no negative ones, we will make do with what we have to "create" one. If their was not a "LOL" button I for one would use "insightful" in a sarcastic way just like "LOL" is used. If I am given options to vote on how I feel about a post I am not gonna restrict myself to feel good options because I don't "feel good" about all posts.

As far as the Reddit fear I honestly think this site would not drop to that level. The Mods would take care of the obvious trolls like they have been doing lately.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Classic...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    The very creation of this thread alone, betrays the intentions of those who wish foster negativity between posters.
    Ppiper said:
    Yes a "facepalm" button to click when we don't agree with someone's view. "lol" should not be used for that purpose, well at least not to me, i only click "lol" on comments that are hilarious and i feel like that is how it should be. if you guys have noticed, most of the time i post with an attempt to comedy, i go for the character of that one guy in the group who is always making some lame jokes but others laugh anyway just to be nice!! So yes it is very important to me when someone clicks "lol" on my lame jokes!! So please add a "facepalm" button for disagreement.

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS
    can we start with your post?
    Yes, we can and that is my entire point.

bartoni33 said:
    hfztt said:

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS
    Again, what you or anybody else sees as "a nonsensical post filled with fallacy" is not set in stone. I see that shit all the time in certain sub-forums here but I understand that those that agree with "a nonsensical post filled with fallacy" are stating their opinion on it. It may very well be bullshit in reality but to them it isn't. Opinions can be wrong. But as a forum they have to be accepted. Calling the use of positive buttons on what you consider "a nonsensical post filled with fallacy" is not abusing said buttons.

Me and others using LOL as a negative IS abusing said button. THAT is where your argument should be focusing. I am not a thin-skinned SJW pansy. I could handle a "dislike" button. I would be forced to. It would happen daily. But I would proudly wear my Disses as a medal of honor, as would many here, including some posting in this very thread. I say bring it on Mods!
    I agree, saying that they are abusing agree button was out of line and I am glad you understand my point, i am pretty bad with words and such and most often as you can see post shitty joke and comments, so thanks for understanding :).

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Your a buttonist.

#AllButtonsMatter

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    At 100 facepalms you receive a RL nude picture of Jean-Luc Picard.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scambug said:
    At 100 facepalms you receive a RL nude picture of Jean-Luc Picard.
        lol a full frontal nudity of Betty White ....................no thx
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited August 2016
    Already posted this when these forums went live. Bill said he would wait and see how it plays out.

I stated that the LOL button always becomes corrupted and should simply be taken out.

We CANNOT have a disagree button because it kills the need for discussion. If you disagree, you should type a response and mention why you disagree or else the forum format turns into a social media culture of mass group opinion further influencing the decline of individual contribution. The person who is posted a thread already explained their opinion ... so should someone who holds a different view.  People cannot be given an easy out with a stupid little button that is used to insult and dismiss instead of supporting debate.

Take the LOL button out! It is the only solution and is why so many other forums have done the exact same. For the same reason there should also not be a disagree button. Disagree with something ... type why and give your reasons. It is bad enough that most threads here are rambling nonsense devoid of any real point. Adding easy outs for mindless dismissal of other's view points does not contribute to the format.

There is already a tool for the witless called internet memes.

You stay sassy!

Tamanous said:
    Already posted this when these forums went live. Bill said he would wait and see how it plays out.

I stated that the LOL button always becomes corrupted and should simply be taken out.

We CANNOT have a disagree button because it kills the need for discussion. If you disagree, you should type a response and mention why you disagree or else the forum format turns into a social media culture of mass group opinion further influencing the decline of individual contribution. The person who is posted a thread already explained their opinion ... so should someone who holds a different view.  People cannot be given an easy out with a stupid little button that is used to insult and dismiss instead of supporting debate.

Take the LOL button out! It is the only solution and is why so many other forums have done the exact same. For the same reason there should also not be a disagree button. Disagree with something ... type why and give your reasons. It is bad enough that most threads here are rambling nonsense devoid of any real point. Adding easy outs for mindless dismissal of other's view points does not contribute to the format.

If they take out the "lol" button i will simply stop coming to this forums. There are 3 button for positive feedback, there needs to be one to show disagreement, people need to grow some thick skin and be able to take some negative feedback, that is what makes someone adult.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Tamanous said:

If they take out the "lol" button i will simply stop coming to this forums. There are 3 button for positive feedback, there needs to be one to show disagreement, people need to grow some thick skin and be able to take some negative feedback, that is what makes someone adult.
    Though I have no preference either way, I think there are plenty of 'showing of disagreement' on the forums without having a button to do it for you. 
    A button to show disagreement will stop the abuse of "lol" button. That is all i am aiming for. But i know there are a too many politically correct people on these forums including the management and that is why it will never be implemented. After all if we censor all negative feedback the world automatically becomes positive, am i right? 

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Any facepalm button would be irrelevant unless it's a Godzilla facepalm button.

This discussion has been closed.