Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next Expansion, The Starfall Prophecy, Announced

Comments

• neosparkkneosparkk Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Wow, Trion is gonna make HUNDREDS of dollars off of this!! :o
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

DMKano said:

Volgore said:

DMKano said:

It seems to me that Trion has decided to slowly back away from F2P model of the past into more of a B2P model + cash shop. 

Right?!

I remember that whenever someone critized Rift monetization model as a failure or borderline scam, some user(s) on this forum didn't miss any opportunity to state how incredibly generous and financially successful Rift's F2P is.

Well, IF Trion in fact goes back to B2P+cash shop, F2P don't seem to have been so successful after all...

It's not so black and white though is it?

F2P could have been very successful at one point but over the years players come and go and maybe what was successful once isn't so anymore. 

So IMO F2P was probably successful to a higher degeee in the past. 

They changed the model because B2P might make them more money?

But saying that F2P failed outright because of present situation is IMO not looking at the whole monetization lifecycle.

I honestly think them going F2P when they did is why the game is still around today. Now the market has changed and a B2P system is more in favor with many players. They seem to be adopting a GW2 system. Which, is a good thing.

Nahh, I think Rift was strong enough at the time to maintain itself with subscriptions. I believe Trion's other failures at the time are what did the SUB model in for Rift.

I was around when the sub model was out. It was going down hill as a sub model around SL xpack before going free to play few months later.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    edited August 2016
    Volgore said:
    And yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus – the whole expansion comes for just one price of $39.99. No piecemeal offerings, just “buy it and get all the content”

No, you won't be getting ALL the xpack's content if you just buy Starfall Prophecy for 39,99. You will be getting all the content of Starfall IF you if have bought all previous DLCs and got ALL the souls beforehand.
    If you miss one soul pack, then you don't get all the content in Starfall in regards to the legendary powers that come for every soul.

Ok, if you don't have the souls you won't miss the legendary abilities anyway, right? But legendary abilities are a major bullet point of this xpack, in Trion's own words:
    "you’ll enhance your arsenal of abilities with Legendary Powers each Level from 66-70, transforming and unleashing their full power! Multiple abilities from every Soul can be made Legendary

So this is not a minor gimmick, but a major system. If you quit after say Storm Legion, then you won't get alot from this unless you buy your way up to Starfall Pr.

Starting from nothing, WoW provides an all inclusive -except for the current addon- battlechest that comes for less than $20 on various sites and even includes a month of game time for new accounts. With a little research i always got every WoW addon for about $27 at release. Plus battlechest that would be $47, give or take a few...and you'll be in, even with a full sub and no restrictions.

Starting Rift from nothing, handing over $39,99 for Starfall Prophecy will give you dirt.
    Official statement from Trion on their forums on that is "We have no plans for an Ultimate Edition."

Official response from me is "I have no plans to return to your cash grab of a game then."

WoW battlechest is 15$ in amazon almost all the time i check and it now gives upto WoD, not to mention 30 days game time. Add 39.99$ legion and you get to play all content in wow for 1 month for about 45$. Someone can buy a 2 month card and add 2 extra month for about 24.99$-27.99$ from amazon. And by that time they will have enough gold to buy wow token and never again pay for sub. so basically we can play unlimited wow for about 75-80$. So you can see that you are being very "nice" to trion with your explanation :P.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Torval said:
    It would take me $224 to catch up in the game, including the new xpac. I'm not interested at that price.
    Yeah I don't like how they have monetized the game.
    They have almost done a master class on how not to do it. 
    From a very very good f2p model that don't punish f2p yet gives patrons a lot of boosts for faster gearing and money making to blatant greed oozing monetization. Trion....i can't believe you have fallen so low...

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Albatroes said:

Albatroes said:

Sadly, the game needed the expansion a year ago....Lol but they are selling it, I honestly do not think that was a wise idea.

A game that  people say is dead or dying, is releasing a major expansion. Yeah that is just horrible news. 
    /s

Releasing an expansion that can only be accessed through paying to access it. Seeing as f2p players who dont buy anything (which is a pretty large part of the current player base) wont be able to level past 65 now, it just splits the remaining playerbase further. So yeah, not good. Selling souls/callings doesn't hinder a person's ability to level up to cap and experience everything the game has to offer. Those elements just change how you experience them. Maybe they are thinking that its working for GW2 (which I honestly do not know for certain) so it'll work for them too.

Well, there is no level increase in GW2 if you have HoT or not. So, the players in GW2 are still very viable without HoT, you just won't be able to access the new areas or new armors, etc.

I gave up on Rift when they when they screwed things up so much in the game.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Trion = P2W

Joined - July 2004

Trion = P2W
    Trove Is more Epeen to win.
    Rift if more raid to win.
    Arche age more yes P2W or grind really hard.
    Defiance not to sure
    Devilian not sure sure
    Atlas Reactor far from P2W at this point of time.
    Trion = P2W
    Why would you raid when you can buy raid gear out of cash shop? At this point you don't need to play Rift at all, whatever you want you can buy in cash shop, which totally ruins the value of platinum in game for those who wants to spend money and would prefer to get platinum by selling REX. Well it is not just them, this situation negates any and all value of platinum for all players, we can go about our lives in Rift with as low as 100 platinum. So go figure what anyone would do with rest.....

edited August 2016
    Trion = P2W
    Why would you raid when you can buy raid gear out of cash shop? At this point you don't need to play Rift at all, whatever you want you can buy in cash shop, which totally ruins the value of platinum in game for those who wants to spend money and would prefer to get platinum by selling REX. Well it is not just them, this situation negates any and all value of platinum for all players, we can go about our lives in Rift with as low as 100 platinum. So go figure what anyone would do with rest.....
    You can buy the tier under the best gear is not the best gear in the game. Only can get the best gear in the game is by raiding. You can buy the gear or all the cash shop item in the store, but you can't win over people that are in raiding with just money.

Don't get me wrong too. I don't like the idea of them selling gear even if not the best in the game. it's just waste of money really, and the gear gets out dated fast. People that playing Rift doing there daily. Don't need to buy it as they have mostly all the gear at that tier before it went in to credits.

In general can't win with the gear in the cash shop. Only can win over people that started late in the game. People who are raiding or had more time playing will still win over big money.

Look at the PvP forums. The most complain are raider getting the top end gear that no one can get other then raiding that are doing far better then what you can get outside of a raid content, and use it in pvp that give the raiders a lot more power.
    Trion = P2W
    You can buy the tier under the best gear is not the best gear in the game. Only can get the best gear in the game is by raiding. You can buy the gear or all the cash shop item in the store, but you can't win over people that are in raiding with just money.

Don't get me wrong too. I don't like the idea of them selling gear even if not the best in the game. it's just waste of money really, and the gear gets out dated fast. People that playing Rift doing there daily. Don't need to buy it as they have mostly all the gear at that tier before it went in to credits.

In general can't win with the gear in the cash shop. Only can win over people that started late in the game. People who are raiding or had more time playing will still win over big money.

Look at the PvP forums. The most complain are raider getting the top end gear that no one can get other then raiding that are doing far better then what you can get outside of a raid content, and use it in pvp that give the raiders a lot more power.
    Once they release t3 raid, there is a 1or 2 month period after which all t3 raid items are in cash shop. It was same with t1 and t2. So basically every time those who spent money and bought the raid gears are actually doing any good in PvP. Those who actually do the raids for gear don't do PvP at all because of course they are raiding guild. There are also other items like Dream orb from credit minion mission and essence from same credits mission with set bonus that can insta kill players. Overall at this moment there is no point in playing the game at all, all it requires is credit cards and willingness to spend couple of thousand $$.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    Trion = P2W
    but what happens when T4 is released , T3 arrives the cash shop , u can buy that on patch day and be raid ready for T4 that just released.....u can do that every time a patch hits live (with new tier) u will be at the top , u can raid then , or smash heads on pvp while raiders get the new gear (that will take a while...)
  • the_Wockythe_Wocky Member UncommonPosts: 6

Fly mounts?!!! :o I'm so ready for this expansion! For the people who say the game is "dying"; according to MMORPG.com (if you look in the comment section), they say every game is "dying". Don't be fooled by that; if you are interested in a game, play it, don't be part of the "sheeple". Oh, btw @ Albatroes where does it say that you have pay to level from 65 to 70? I don't see that in the article. I will verify if that is accurate or not. So far, in Rift, players haven't had to pay for an expansion.

No flying mounts.

ps. game is dying

★ Twitter @WockyCC ★ YouTube the Wocky ★ BLOG wockster.com ★
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Trion with Rift makes even Perfect World look good.  The sad thing is, Rift is still a pretty good game, just that the monitization is ridiculous.  Who in the world sells an expansion that is almost useless without major prior purchases.  Even if you normally sub to the game, it still requires a major investment of cash to enjoy it.

Trion has moved into the "avoid all their games" category for me.  
    edited August 2016
    Trion = P2W

Once they release t3 raid, there is a 1or 2 month period after which all t3 raid items are in cash shop. It was same with t1 and t2. So basically every time those who spent money and bought the raid gears are actually doing any good in PvP. Those who actually do the raids for gear don't do PvP at all because of course they are raiding guild. There are also other items like Dream orb from credit minion mission and essence from same credits mission with set bonus that can insta kill players. Overall at this moment there is no point in playing the game at all, all it requires is credit cards and willingness to spend couple of thousand $$.
    If someone plays the game do there daily and weeklys each week. Then they are more or the same level as someone who haves the bigger pockets, even faster if you raid. Lazy does not make people win. People that do work in the game makes them win. Dream Orb from credit minions mission? There are none. It's just more crafting mats then any thing other. A lot the Dream Orb highs one are all from crafting, and minions is not needed for crafting unless the player don't want to farm or trade for the mats.

Only time if someone need to spend a lot money in the game if they get in a really good guild that is raiding. When there guild needs people that are fulled geared and with all the souls and the unlocks and some other stuff. If they are late in the game trying to catch up then waiting.

But even way someone buys the gear now they are not winning they are doing something seem very un fair to many. Same with any other game if you have the gold or the money. You can buy gear to catch up, but if a player plays the game. That player don't have to drop 1 dime on gear, and still beats out the guys who just buys all there gear by raiding.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Trion = P2W

If someone plays the game do there daily and weeklys each week. Then they are more or the same level as someone who haves the bigger pockets, even faster if you raid. Lazy does not make people win. People that do work in the game makes them win. Dream Orb from credit minions mission? There are none. It's just more crafting mats then any thing other. A lot the Dream Orb highs one are all from crafting, and minions is not needed for crafting unless the player don't want to farm or trade for the mats.

Only time if someone need to spend a lot money in the game if they get in a really good guild that is raiding. When there guild needs people that are fulled geared and with all the souls and the unlocks and some other stuff. If they are late in the game trying to catch up then waiting.

But even way someone buys the gear now they are not winning they are doing something seem very un fair to many. Same with any other game if you have the gold or the money. You can buy gear to catch up, but if a player plays the game. That player don't have to drop 1 dime on gear, and still beats out the guys who just buys all there gear by raiding.

Huh?  that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  I stopped playing when level 50 was the top level, just to enjoy the new expansion I stopped counting at $150 and that is not buying any gear.  So sure, after I invest a big chunk of money in the game I could level up my own gear, but even if I renew my sub, I still have to purchase a bunch of stuff which is totally ridiculous.  There isn't another game out there with those kind of restrictions.

The people who monetize Rift are braindead.  

• Moguy3Moguy3 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Pokemon go forces people to leave their homes AND now this expansion forces people to do the same thing. Just you have to go get a job for 2 weeks, get the check, then buy the expansion. I believe Trion is making America great again!
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    edited August 2016
    Torval said:
    It would take me $224 to catch up in the game, including the new xpac. I'm not interested at that price.
    Yeah I don't like how they have monetized the game.
    They have almost done a master class on how not to do it. 
    From a very very good f2p model that don't punish f2p yet gives patrons a lot of boosts for faster gearing and money making to blatant greed oozing monetization. Trion....i can't believe you have fallen so low...

Just have a look what they have done with Defiance. They completely gutted and fundamentally altered the core game, after going F2P, just so they could rake in more cash!

I will never ever touch a single game of them again!

Hell, even the games from PWE are better than TRION's crap! ( Can't even believe I am saying this! /gasp )
    I can at least play and enjoy Star Trek Online with little money spending. They just have outrageous prices on ships and costumes, but I could care less about that. At least I have free Access to the entire game and all updates/DLC.

LOTRO F2P is also much better and far less outrageously priced.
    edited August 2016
    Ozmodan said:
    Trion = P2W

Huh?  that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  I stopped playing when level 50 was the top level, just to enjoy the new expansion I stopped counting at $150 and that is not buying any gear.  So sure, after I invest a big chunk of money in the game I could level up my own gear, but even if I renew my sub, I still have to purchase a bunch of stuff which is totally ridiculous.  There isn't another game out there with those kind of restrictions.

The people who monetize Rift are braindead.  

Name what you have to purchase? Other then Ear slot, planewalker and the souls? And this new xpack. Only thing is a must need is the Ear slot. planewalker, and this new xpack that just came out. The souls are just more replay valve then a must need.

I don't like A lot Rift monetize my self. People that are lazy will spend a lot money so they don't have to grind for gear or upgrades. That is what MMO are in general a big grind. Trion is pushing people away going back on there word the most. In what people are mostly upset in general with the game. Even with Patron change was not nice of Trion to do for people who didn't pay for Patron, and took some good options for people that didn't want to play every day.

Gear is not a problem to get. People who do play the game and raid will be always be on the best gear then what anyone can buy from the cash shop. Even I don't agree having gear in the cash shop but that gear mostly people that are lazy or want to catch up.
  • IceDreadIceDread Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited August 2016
    Did they ever fix their engine not being able to show more than a portion of the players actually in the pvp areas? Was great fun having a guy beat on me for a few seconds before he was rendered graphically. Back when I played I had top notch system for it's time, a gtx 690 and 16gb ram.

Albatroes said:

Sadly, the game needed the expansion a year ago....Lol but they are selling it, I honestly do not think that was a wise idea.

Yeah, now there are a lot newer games out with better engine. Thou I dont find an interest in anyone out there at all at the moment, every mmo has been disappointing of late.

• Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401

Albatroes said:

A game that  people say is dead or dying, is releasing a major expansion. Yeah that is just horrible news. 
    /s

Trion again, one of the most hated companies in the world, releases p2w update which will split its server pop further by making rich players even more powerfull than F2P small transaction ones.

No surprise there. Everything they did in the last 2 years revolved around p2w business model.
  • Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401

Ozmodan said:

Well when i played Rift I was a subscriber.  To get back into the game, even with a sub would be expensive and I feel that is a really stupid thing to do with a game.  The people running this company are braindead.

Rift was an incredible game with a shady ,but balanced Cash Shop back in the day, but since its day is due, they simply want to drain as much as cash possible from the most loyal customers, so that they do not leave when they get bored, they leave ,
    when they have no more money to spend.

Smart call economy wise, but overall, they made a notorious name for themselves, i seriously do not know if they will ever have another popular title out there after AA and this.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    DMKano said:
    It seems to me that Trion has decided to slowly back away from F2P model of the past into more of a B2P model + cash shop. 
    B2P + Cash Shop seems to be a very popular entry level for MMO's currently.

Companies no doubt love the upfront revenue wave, and players love the illusion that the B2P cost is "all they'll ever have to spend"... 

A few months after the B2P launch the premium subs are introduced, alongside the RNG boxes that expand the Cash Shop from its previously bland cosmetic-only offerings. Then the paid DLC start arriving...
  • jscheetz03jscheetz03 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Trion is doing the same thing that Turbine did for LoTRO You want new content? You buy it. You can either buy it by farming currency in-game or shell out the cash. Except Trion is going one step further and making the cost of things the price of a full game instead of $10-$20 like it should be.

I LOVE Rift.. I am still playing it to this day. But if they add new souls for the expansion after the fact that I purchased the expansion that they should be included in. I feel like I will just walk away and never look back. I'm sick of spending $40-$60 on a few new skills, when for that price it should be an entire new class or game. I haven't learned my lesson, obviously, since I keep paying for their overpriced bull crap.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited August 2016

Fly mounts?!!! :o I'm so ready for this expansion! For the people who say the game is "dying"; according to MMORPG.com (if you look in the comment section), they say every game is "dying". Don't be fooled by that; if you are interested in a game, play it, don't be part of the "sheeple". Oh, btw @ Albatroes where does it say that you have pay to level from 65 to 70? I don't see that in the article. I will verify if that is accurate or not. So far, in Rift, players haven't had to pay for an expansion.

No flying mounts.

ps. game is dying

Did you miss where I said that it wasn't? Apparently so, I wrote another comment that pointed out that it wasn't a flying mount, but the picture and the animation give the impression that it is. I also do not think the game is "dying"; you'd be surprised at how long games can last. When people say a game is "dying", it just means that they are personally frustrated with it; the game won't die as long as people are willing to play it (which they are). I've seen a number of people on my server with the new mount; they were willing to buy the expansion pack.
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis