Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My fondest memories in MMO's have one aspect in common

2»

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    edited August 2016
    R.Lima said:
    Just to list a few:
    • Completing my first Dragon raid and Titan raid in Dungeons and Dragons Online as the designated rogue having to disable all traps or risk the lives of the 11 other people who were all coordinating through voice chat
    • Winning a dueling tournament in Star Wars: The Old Republic with my Jedi Sage organized by some random, but generous rich player in front of Coruscant's gargantuan Senate Tower
    • Getting 1st place in World of Warcraft's Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza with a low level Night Elf druid while avoiding certain death at the hands of several max level Horde players preying on the weak
    • Venturing forth deep into the Wilderness of RuneScape with two of my best buddies wearing valuable Rune armor and getting lost and split up on the way back, leading to an incredibly tense and frightening journey
    • Forging a full set of armor with my Armorsmith/Warcaller Cleric in Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and selling it for a large sum of gold to a player who requested the services of a craftsman in Tursh Village
    Even though all these moments involved vastly different activities and games, they all shared one element: Playing with others. Yes, many MMO's now possess interesting solo-driven content that I admit to having enjoyed as well. Yet, the impact these single-player stories had in me pale in comparison to the experiences I lived through the interactions with other players. 

The one feature that defines MMO's and allows them to be unique among all other genres is multiplayer massiveness. So why is it that developers are not playing as much to the genre's greatest strengths? 

Just some food for thought. Think of your most memorable MMO moments and analyze which of them were only possible because you had to interact with other players.
    Ok, getting tired of constantly being harped at for being a solo player. It's not up to you whether I'm a solo player or not. Maybe your greatest experiences were in groups, mine weren't and never have been. I play MMO's for things like longer storylines, more involving worlds, and occasional assistance from fellow players (hence guilds). Why is it any of your business that I am a solo player? I have spent most of my life working with the public, when I come home from work, I want interaction with people ONLY if I choose it, not having it forced on me because other players want it. And that is none of your business. 

Stop harping on the solo players. We play differently. Deal with it. And don't try to say that you weren't saying that or you wouldn't have bothered saying "Playing with others. Yes, many MMO's now possess interesting solo-driven content that I admit to having enjoyed as well. Yet, the impact these single-player stories had in me pale in comparison to the experiences I lived through the interactions with other players. "

That right there was specifically meant as an underhanded slap against soloers. Even if you said later "The one feature that defines MMO's and allows them to be unique among all other genres is multiplayer massiveness. So why is it that developers are not playing as much to the genre's greatest strengths? ". Because, you see, there are those of us who don't consider being forced to group a strength, and you know that. 
  • ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Asheron's Call, EQ2, LoTRO and at times WoW when I found a nice group of friends to play with.  As others have said, loved having those great guild/group experiences.  Probably my best time was when our beginner raid team finally killed the Balrog in LoTRO after many months of progress towards that goal.  It was an epic moment for us and at the time, there weren't too many groups on the server who had that kill.

On the soloing side of things though, I have had some great moments.  Asheron's Call when I finally made my Greater Shadow Armor or made the perfect bandit hilt weapon.  Or WoW when I finally got that pesky loremaster title after many months of research and play.  However, nothing can really top those group play moments.

Sadly these days I only play solo.  I've found that so many players are an antisocial nasty bunch so I mostly keep to myself.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    It's hard to remember a collection of generic quest that are similar to the next over a 10 year stretch.  I mean, I remember events from UO.  Even other players.  I remember things from M59.  

I think WoW's shaman class quest sticks out the most to me.  Even that is kind of vague.  Why aren't there more class quest?

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Moirae said:
    R.Lima said:
    Just to list a few:
    • Completing my first Dragon raid and Titan raid in Dungeons and Dragons Online as the designated rogue having to disable all traps or risk the lives of the 11 other people who were all coordinating through voice chat
    • Winning a dueling tournament in Star Wars: The Old Republic with my Jedi Sage organized by some random, but generous rich player in front of Coruscant's gargantuan Senate Tower
    • Getting 1st place in World of Warcraft's Stranglethorn Fishing Extravaganza with a low level Night Elf druid while avoiding certain death at the hands of several max level Horde players preying on the weak
    • Venturing forth deep into the Wilderness of RuneScape with two of my best buddies wearing valuable Rune armor and getting lost and split up on the way back, leading to an incredibly tense and frightening journey
    • Forging a full set of armor with my Armorsmith/Warcaller Cleric in Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and selling it for a large sum of gold to a player who requested the services of a craftsman in Tursh Village
    Even though all these moments involved vastly different activities and games, they all shared one element: Playing with others. Yes, many MMO's now possess interesting solo-driven content that I admit to having enjoyed as well. Yet, the impact these single-player stories had in me pale in comparison to the experiences I lived through the interactions with other players. 

The one feature that defines MMO's and allows them to be unique among all other genres is multiplayer massiveness. So why is it that developers are not playing as much to the genre's greatest strengths? 

Just some food for thought. Think of your most memorable MMO moments and analyze which of them were only possible because you had to interact with other players.
    Ok, getting tired of constantly being harped at for being a solo player. It's not up to you whether I'm a solo player or not. Maybe your greatest experiences were in groups, mine weren't and never have been. I play MMO's for things like longer storylines, more involving worlds, and occasional assistance from fellow players (hence guilds). Why is it any of your business that I am a solo player? I have spent most of my life working with the public, when I come home from work, I want interaction with people ONLY if I choose it, not having it forced on me because other players want it. And that is none of your business. 

Stop harping on the solo players. We play differently. Deal with it. And don't try to say that you weren't saying that or you wouldn't have bothered saying "Playing with others. Yes, many MMO's now possess interesting solo-driven content that I admit to having enjoyed as well. Yet, the impact these single-player stories had in me pale in comparison to the experiences I lived through the interactions with other players. "

That right there was specifically meant as an underhanded slap against soloers. Even if you said later "The one feature that defines MMO's and allows them to be unique among all other genres is multiplayer massiveness. So why is it that developers are not playing as much to the genre's greatest strengths? ". Because, you see, there are those of us who don't consider being forced to group a strength, and you know that. 
    If your going to solo and design the game to be soloed, don't you think it would be better to build the game as a single player game? What's the point in having the massively multiplayer part if you don't even care about taking advantage of it or using it?

I love MMORPGs but feel that both ESO and SWTOR would have been better as single player games for instance.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    R.Lima said:
    Just to list a few:

Yes "playing with others", "trading with others", "having meaningful interaction with other players"; these are what makes an online game a proper mmo. These days most mmo players just want solo play until it is absolutely necessary to group with others. It is like i am playing a single player game with optional multiplayer feature.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• ImpmonImpmon Member UncommonPosts: 81
    In vanilla WOW end game was Plane of Fear & Hate.  I played a troll shadowknight, considered one of the worst/hardest race class combo's to level.  As a result there was around 3 max level shadowknights on the server I played myself included.

I wasn't in the resident uber guilds who were raiding plane of fear at the time.  I was just minding my own business when someone sent me a random /tell.

"Hey do you want umbral platemail armor ?"

.... uh whaaaaat ?  This was considered end game loot for shadowknights.

"Yeah we got all this umbral platemail armor dropping in here and we have no shadowknights.  Come loot it."

In like 2 hours I had a full set of umbral platemail armor.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Impmon said:
    In vanilla WOW end game was Plane of Fear & Hate.  I played a troll shadowknight, considered one of the worst/hardest race class combo's to level.  As a result there was around 3 max level shadowknights on the server I played myself included.

I wasn't in the resident uber guilds who were raiding plane of fear at the time.  I was just minding my own business when someone sent me a random /tell.

"Hey do you want umbral platemail armor ?"

.... uh whaaaaat ?  This was considered end game loot for shadowknights.

"Yeah we got all this umbral platemail armor dropping in here and we have no shadowknights.  Come loot it."

In like 2 hours I had a full set of umbral platemail armor.
    Sounds more like EQ2 than Vanilla WoW... but that's a good story!