Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert censorship veers into the realm of the absurd

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2016
    craftseeker said:
    Yes a lot of people are pissed right now, but will they still be pissed in a months time?

Yes it could have been done more elegantly, but in the end what is going to matter is the impact on cash flow. They obviously want a faster flow of cash and are prepared to accept long term losses if they get it.
    Agreed.

There was precisely same hiatus accompanying PLEX introduction in EVE Online, the game didn't die of it nor there were people leaving the game over it.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Doug_B said:
    Whiner gets banned #good
    80% of games population leaves #good ?

SOE kind of made gaming history with SWG that way, be sad to see this repeated.

What is it with you and this manufactured hyperbole? Earlier it was "nobody wants the upcoming changes" and now 80% of the game's population is going to leave?

You have a broken crystal ball and you need to look up the definition of "nobody".

I get you don't like the game developer but you don't have to spew pseudo-facts to justify your hate. Just say you hate them.

I don't think i've had to look up a definition for such a simple concept as 'nobody' since i was 12, but feel free to engage your vocabulary if your up to it, i do enjoy a challenge. :p
    Well you don't seem to have gotten it right so I suggest you look it up again.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Doug_B said:
    Whiner gets banned #good

What is it with you and this manufactured hyperbole? Earlier it was "nobody wants the upcoming changes" and now 80% of the game's population is going to leave?

You have a broken crystal ball and you need to look up the definition of "nobody".

I get you don't like the game developer but you don't have to spew pseudo-facts to justify your hate. Just say you hate them.

I don't think i've had to look up a definition for such a simple concept as 'nobody' since i was 12, but feel free to engage your vocabulary if your up to it, i do enjoy a challenge. :p
    Well i was hoping you were going to come up with something a bit more imaginative, perhaps i was being overly optimistic.
    The 'history' of SWG is fairly well documented already, though perhaps for people new to genre it may well be one that is unknown, but the basics are that SOE changed the focus of the game significantly, not btw, in terms of whether the game was P2W or not, it was a P2P game, but they took a game that was a fairly good approximation of a sandbox game, and turned it into a themepark game, very WoW like, things didn't work very well however, and over the period of about a month, they lost over 80% of their playerbase, there is far more to it than i have said, and its a very 'simplified' version of events.
    This is all history though, the last decade or so of which has been very eventful, and studying history is i think far more educational than engaging any purported prescient abilities, i leave that kind of thing to the professionals, such as 'cough' superdata 'cough'.
    :p
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Doug_B said:
    Whiner gets banned #good

Well i was hoping you were going to come up with something a bit more imaginative, perhaps i was being overly optimistic.
    The 'history' of SWG is fairly well documented already, though perhaps for people new to genre it may well be one that is unknown, but the basics are that SOE changed the focus of the game significantly, not btw, in terms of whether the game was P2W or not, it was a P2P game, but they took a game that was a fairly good approximation of a sandbox game, and turned it into a themepark game, very WoW like, things didn't work very well however, and over the period of about a month, they lost over 80% of their playerbase, there is far more to it than i have said, and its a very 'simplified' version of events.
    This is all history though, the last decade or so of which has been very eventful, and studying history is i think far more educational than engaging any purported prescient abilities, i leave that kind of thing to the professionals, such as 'cough' superdata 'cough'.
    *sigh*

Let's try again...look at the bunny...focus...look at the bunny...

You said, "nobody wants the upcoming changes"

I said, "you need to look up the definition of 'nobody'"

Still with me? Good. The bunny is slightly up and off to the left in case you've gotten lost.

You said, "I don't think I've had to look up a definition for such...blah...blah...blah"

I said, "you don't seem to have gotten it right so I suggest you look it up again"

Yoo hoo, over here. TL;DR: We are talking about your use of the word nobody.

no•bod•y

(ˈnoʊˌbɒd i, -ˌbʌd i, -bə di)

pron., n., pl. -bod•ies. pron.
      no person; not anyone; no one.

So unless your beloved "superdata" can show me that not a single person is happy, then your comment is just your usual hyperbole.

Try to stick with responding to what I said next time and it will save you a lot of embarrassment.

Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Doug_B said:
    Whiner gets banned #good

*sigh*

Still with me? Good. The bunny is slightly up and off to the left in case you've gotten lost.

You said, "I don't think I've had to look up a definition for such...blah...blah...blah"

I said, "you don't seem to have gotten it right so I suggest you look it up again"

no•bod•y

So unless your beloved "superdata" can show me that not a single person is happy, then your comment is just your usual hyperbole.

Try to stick with responding to what I said next time and it will save you a lot of embarrassment.

Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Doug_B said:
    Whiner gets banned #good

*sigh*

no•bod•y

Still mad about my SotA comments, huh? lulz

• LleithLleith Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Doug_B said:
    Whiner gets banned #good

*sigh*

no•bod•y

Wow. That is just tragic. You seem extremely upset - like, way beyond the point of all reason pertaining to the topic at hand. 
    Lleith said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Doug_B said:
    Whiner gets banned #good

*sigh*

no•bod•y

Wow. That is just tragic. You seem extremely upset - like, way beyond the point of all reason pertaining to the topic at hand. 
    Well, maybe you just don't understand the difference between anger and sarcasm.

You can always dream though.

• Doug_BDoug_B Member UncommonPosts: 153
    I see tons of people playing
    Bachelor's in Web Design and Multimedia
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Phry said:
    Gdemami said:
    Archlyte said:
    Better to read for whom? I would prefer to be a big boy and filter out things for myself. Guess that makes me a No Lifer by your definition, but I would rather sift through bad opinions than have someone sanitize it for vulcan logic's sake, or to remove all the bad feelings statements to create a safe zone. 

People who chant Vocal Minority are always putting a collar on the unknown and trying to pull the leash.
    Better to read for anyone looking for factual information and discussion - something I would expect from company running the game and their forums. The forums are there for their customers to discuss the game, not a tool to vent off their frustration.

I do not see a relation between moderation and "no-lifers", can you enlighten me on that one?

You mistake moderation of non-constructive posts with moderation of negative feedback. You can still be critical and express your dissatisfaction in constructive, polite manner.

Vocal minorities are real, sorry.
    By that definition, should we also censor you because your comments are non-constructive, and can easily be defined as being a 'vocal minority' ?

I'm sure he would support censorship right up to the point where he is being censored.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I'll continue playing and I have a very poor view of anyone who charges back after playing this for more than 90 days. So how about actually paying for the time you played.... dishonest.

I also feel that this charge back rubbish needs to have better rules in place so that people don't cheat companies.

kitarad said:
    I'll continue playing and I have a very poor view of anyone who charges back after playing this for more than 90 days. So how about actually paying for the time you played.... dishonest.

I also feel that this charge back rubbish needs to have better rules in place so that people don't cheat companies.
    I don't personally think its a charge back situation, and while i will go back to playing other games more after the changes are made, i am hoping that the game doesn't fall further down the P2W death spiral.
    I don't regret any of the time or the money i have spent on this game, for the time i have played it, it has been awesome, if anything i probably played it far too much, no game has really grabbed my attention in this way since the early days of Everquest, and yes i was one of those people who played Everquest 10+ hours a day.
    As for the rules around charge backs, i think the banks themselves regulate that pretty well, and while there are numerous stories of people having charge backs in various games etc. i wouldn't take them too seriously, i doubt 1/10th of them actually happened B)
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited August 2016
    kitarad said:

Don't believe all what people say on the web. Charge back isn't that easy, and won't be granted for any stupid reason.
    IMHO, given the nature of MMOs, requesting a charge back over a $30 expenditure is a bit over dramatic.  To each their own, of course, but for me, the time and effort wasted to complete the process is more trouble than its worth.  One spends more money on tickets for two to a movie yet charge backs are never requested when the movie results in suckage. And that's just for a couple of hours of entertainment. It's just petty.  Just write it off, move on, and save yourself the headache.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Gdemami said:
    Glad I got out before shit hit the fan. This is unacceptable.
    Apparently it is very acceptable since MMOs are doing this for years....Who cares about facts, right?
    So if all your friends jump off a bridge you're going to do it to? Just because other people are doing something doesn't make it a wise decision, as evidenced by the backlash and damage control they are trying to do.
    edited August 2016
    Lleith said:
    patpelle said:
    Lleith said:
    https://bdomaths.wordpress.com/2016/08/06/the-end-of-a-short-journey/

The guy was banned for posting that. Controversial? Sure - but certainly not anywhere near the most vitriolic thing that BDO's forums have seen in the past 48 hours. But the ban hammer came down nonetheless: thread deleted, user bludgeoned into silence.

Honestly, as an MMORPG company, you couldn't draw up a battleplan to sink your own stock and trade faster than what Daum/Kakao (or however the hell it's spelled) are doing. It's absolutely amazing how out-of-touch they are, and even more bizarre that they believe that in the most tech-savvy era in human history that word of their shenanigans wouldn't IMMEDIATELY get out and be poured like gasoline back onto the fire brewing in their backyard.

Now every 3rd post is quoting that deleted thread! There's nothing like successful censorship!
    The player in question posted about illegal or illicit activities in a previous post and was warned by GM then created another account to bypass the warning.

• The user shall not promote illegal or illicit activities including cheating and the use of exploits.
    • The user will not create additional forum accounts in order to bypass any warning, suspension, ban or purport themselves as someone else.
    Before you jump to hasty conclusion you might want to get to the bottom of things. The player in question made it sound like he was being cencored but he was just being another person who can't follow the rules.
    I had my account deleted there last night. No swearing... no threats... no sharing of hacks or exploits. I was active in the thread talking with others about chargebacks - this morning? Banned. No warnings; no prior warnings to this date on the account. Just banned. 

Yes, censorship is happening there - his is hardly an isolated example. 

Care to enlighten us on the part you left out? I don't care how bad a game developer is -- NO ONE gets banned for no reason.

You did something. You broke a forum rule. Pretending to be innocent is total B.S.

Confession time. Would you like to tell us or shall we start guessing?

---------------------

EDIT: Did a little research on my own...

You claim to have had your account deleted last night? You do realize you CREATED your account last night @ 1:23 AM, right? Your last and only post was @ 2:00. I sure hope your deleted posts were after that or you managed to get a newly created account banned in 37 minutes and now expect us to believe you did nothing wrong? lulz
    Post edited by postlarval on

Archlyte said:
    Gdemami said:
    Dakeru said:
    what do they actually gain from banning this guy who gave constructive feedback other than losing the trust of the players?
    1) His post wasn't constructive. That is why he got banned and thread deleted.
    2) Removing such posts makes the forum cleaner, better to read.
    I would prefer to be a big boy and filter out things for myself.

Cool. then act like a "big boy" and start your own forum and set your own rules.

I'll wait right here until you get it set up and populated with accounts you now have to manage.

Well, give me a moment to get a HUGE bag of popcorn. This should be fun.

• LoudWisperLoudWisper Member UncommonPosts: 76
    And be born a forum called MMO Truth Wars.  Full of conspiracy theories of how MMO's are just hear to entertain you and try to get your money.  
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    happy you shared this,let this be a lesson to all forum mods about trying to silence people. 

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    And be born a forum called MMO Truth Wars.  Full of conspiracy theories of how MMO's are just hear to entertain you and try to get your money.  

It's not a theory if it's true.  Its expensive to make a real mmo. So they make games that barely qualify as a game and wack the hell out of us......Then wait a few months and wack who is still left again :) 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Fact is a huge amount of players are pissed right now. I don't know if it's a majority, but when all PvP guilds use the "no P2W" logo, it's a sign.

Note that I absolutely not regret my purchase, I got 6 months of solid fun and I most likely will get a couple of months more fun, so I won't charge back. It would be dishonest from me, not to mention it would most likely not work, some people here seem to be overconfident about what their bank will agree on about a video game.

I just think that they could have done it more elegantly.
    Remains to be seen what impact it will have on the game. I don't see many players wasting their silver to buy a 70 million cosmetic costume, when the same sum would allow them to upgrade and maintain their own gear. The non-whales are precisely those who will not want to waste their in game currency for some basically useless costume.
    We'll see how long that no p2w thing lasts. On Uno I only saw one guild use that as their emblem and then that was gone.

The thing is, how many players who say they are against it will be part of it once that feature launches? 
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TL_GamerTL_Gamer Member CommonPosts: 11
    Long rant, but given you say "on my forum" and created your profile today, I really have to ask what forum are you referring to? It seems relevant to know what your agenda is.
    If you have to ask "What forum" then no offense, you shouldn't even be involved in a discussion like this. The fact that what I just outlined happens in every forum and game on the internet (Except the forum I help run) it is impossible to not see it.

I have proven this problem exists in videos and any way you can think of, and all people say is nope that doesn't mean anything or I don't see it, which means they're either extremely stupid, or are causing the problem themselves, and it's usually the latter.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    TL_Gamer said:
    Long rant, but given you say "on my forum" and created your profile today, I really have to ask what forum are you referring to? It seems relevant to know what your agenda is.
    If you have to ask "What forum" then no offense, you shouldn't even be involved in a discussion like this. The fact that what I just outlined happens in every forum and game on the internet (Except the forum I help run) it is impossible to not see it.

I have proven this problem exists in videos and any way you can think of, and all people say is nope that doesn't mean anything or I don't see it, which means they're either extremely stupid, or are causing the problem themselves, and it's usually the latter.
    Strangely your response doesn't actually answer the question 'what forum?' and then adds further smoke about videos.

My guess is you think you are famous, but I have to tell you that from here you appear to be a legend in your own lunchbox.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    If this was my company I would of banned him too. Sucks that it happened but that's business baby. If they want to kill their game (or make it) not much you can do.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Gdemami said:
    Archlyte said:
    Better to read for whom? I would prefer to be a big boy and filter out things for myself. Guess that makes me a No Lifer by your definition, but I would rather sift through bad opinions than have someone sanitize it for vulcan logic's sake, or to remove all the bad feelings statements to create a safe zone. 

People who chant Vocal Minority are always putting a collar on the unknown and trying to pull the leash.
    Better to read for anyone looking for factual information and discussion - something I would expect from company running the game and their forums. The forums are there for their customers to discuss the game, not a tool to vent off their frustration.

I do not see a relation between moderation and "no-lifers", can you enlighten me on that one?

You mistake moderation of non-constructive posts with moderation of negative feedback. You can still be critical and express your dissatisfaction in constructive, polite manner.

Vocal minorities are real, sorry.
    That's your objective proof? You are simply trying to project the image of a strong majority agreeing with you instead of allowing your argument to stand on its own. Everyone is really with you but you have to speak for them because...

I'm all for being polite, but I think that seeing the opposite only serves to elevate polite, cogent responses. Is it that you feel that the entertainment value of ass-posting tends to overwhelm constructive debate? I am trying to understand the reason for your somewhat elitist position on a public forum. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Archlyte said:
    That's your objective proof? You are simply trying to project the image of a strong majority agreeing with you instead of allowing your argument to stand on its own. Everyone is really with you but you have to speak for them because...

I'm all for being polite, but I think that seeing the opposite only serves to elevate polite, cogent responses. Is it that you feel that the entertainment value of ass-posting tends to overwhelm constructive debate? I am trying to understand the reason for your somewhat elitist position on a public forum. 
    Official forums is something a company put their name on. It is an official channel how devs communicate with players. It is a part of your "public image" thus heavier moderation is expected.

How did you get "strong majority agreeing with you" into my post is puzzling. This has nothing to do with "elitism" or in fact me, at all.