Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And the other shoe drops. Win 10 Enterprise becomes a subscription service with a monthly charge

13»

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    Hrimnir said:
    Will never happen.  They'll try it and consumers will tell them to eat dicks and they'll go out of business or change back to a standard model.
    At this point in time MS needs to follow IBM IMO.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Asm0deus said:
    Hrimnir said:
    Will never happen.  They'll try it and consumers will tell them to eat dicks and they'll go out of business or change back to a standard model.
    At this point in time MS needs to follow IBM IMO.
    That actually may not be a bad idea. IBM has spun or sold off almost all of their consumer products to focus on enterprise. Maybe the one-size-fits-all Windows isn't the right path anymore. The "tech" differences between the different versions is pretty minor, the only real difference between the different Windows flavors is how you pay for it, even though there are big differences in use and requirements
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited July 2016
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nicely played MS. Maybe it's time to switch to Apple. 
    What is Apple alternative to MS Server platform...?
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    If they want to have Win 10 on as many PC as possible then what they should do is sell per year package and remove the 1 time buy price. For example : 50$ per year for home/basic edition, 75% per year for Pro etc. With this people would be able to buy access for 1 year and start using without have to shelling out a couple hundred at once and Microsoft can achieve their goal to have more PC with Win 10.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    If they want to have Win 10 on as many PC as possible then what they should do is sell per year package and remove the 1 time buy price. For example : 50$ per year for home/basic edition, 75% per year for Pro etc. With this people would be able to buy access for 1 year and start using without have to shelling out a couple hundred at once and Microsoft can achieve their goal to have more PC with Win 10.
    I would rather see it like 360 Office. 99.99 for the year and includes 5 PC, share a key with 4 other friends. Like you do with 360 Office. 
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think if they do decide to push a Windows 10 subscription fee, they will be offering further cloud integration and a lack of a product key on Windows installs. Pretty much your subscription is your key. If that happens things like moving from machine to machine will be pretty simple.
    Cleffy said:
    I think if they do decide to push a Windows 10 subscription fee, they will be offering further cloud integration and a lack of a product key on Windows installs. Pretty much your subscription is your key. If that happens things like moving from machine to machine will be pretty simple.
    There has already been talk about linking your Windows product key to your Microsoft account. The only thing it's missing to do as you describe is to enable the Windows subscription service on the MS Account page (just like they already do for Office...)
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2016
    It has been (still is?) free to upgarde to Win10. There has and is no talk of a yearly cost. People still complain.

Me? I've upgraded with no problems and see no reason to worry about something that might never happen. Those who haven't and don't intend to don't need to worry either.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Heh, many here claim subs are the way to go for games. A sub instantly means quality. Take the most P2W game, combine it with the worst Korean grinder (which might be the same anyways), have it crash every 5 minutes..but if you slap a sub on it, it's instantly the second coming. Or something like that, i wouldn't know, i don't like subs.

Anyways, why are subs suddenly bad now that we are talking about other software? How is this different? Hint: It isn't.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

Anireth said:
    Heh, many here claim subs are the way to go for games. A sub instantly means quality. Take the most P2W game, combine it with the worst Korean grinder (which might be the same anyways), have it crash every 5 minutes..but if you slap a sub on it, it's instantly the second coming. Or something like that, i wouldn't know, i don't like subs.

Anyways, why are subs suddenly bad now that we are talking about other software? How is this different? Hint: It isn't.
    I think it's a bad choice for consumers, maybe not so much for companies, in that I view the OS in a PC kind of like the engine in my car.  If I buy my car I want to own it and not have to pay monthly for "just the motor".

I mean if I was interested in leasing or renting I would do that for the whole item. I wont even go into how MS win 10 has other issues.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:
    Anireth said:

I think it's a bad choice for consumers, maybe not so much for companies, in that I view the OS in a PC kind of like the engine in my car.  If I buy my car I want to own it and not have to pay monthly for "just the motor".

I mean if I was interested in leasing or renting I would do that for the whole item. I wont even go into how MS win 10 has other issues.
    That actually is a very good point, and I hadn't thought of it that way.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    They want everyone to rent the OS.  They're just doing it a little at a time.  It's a price hike.
    No, they want money. And MMO's are doing it, plus they are doing it with things like Office365. It's a continuous drain of our wallets and endless giving them more money. MMO's started it with the f2p crap, and now it's spreading. 
    edited August 2016
    It begins....lol
    http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/microsoft-removes-policies-windows-10-pro/
    Professional editions of Windows 10 ship with the Group Policy Editor that enables users and administrators to make changes to the default configuration of the operating system. Up until now, policy availability was more or less identical for all professional versions of Windows 10. Turns out, this is no longer the case when the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is released. Some policies contain a note stating that they only apply to certain editions of Windows 10, with Windows 10 Pro not being listed as one of them. Note: This setting only applies to Enterprise, Education, and Server SKUs Furthermore, the corresponding Registry keys are not working either anymore which means that Pro users have no option to make changes to features affected by the change

• Fish_TacosFish_Tacos Member UncommonPosts: 45
    DMKano said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nicely played MS. Maybe it's time to switch to Apple. 
    Good luck finding many MMOs to play -  the one that comes off the top of my head is Trove, it  does have a mac client

Also WoW, GW2, DDO, Lotro and Diablo 3 all have mac clients

But he'll be missing out on all the Asian imports.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Nyctelios said:
    I'll sit here with my Linux/W7 until the Earth swallow us all, drinking my coffee and watching this shit show.

MS is trying so hard to push monopoly. Add this to UWP and forced Windows Store purchase on games (that still shady as f***).

Now they announced if you buy something on xbox you'll get a copy at pc. When asked if the copy bought on PC would run free at xbox they said yes, even the ones bought on Steam, GOG, or any other besides Windows Store... Then when they asked But if I buy it on Xbox will I be able to add the game to my Steam library? They refused to answer.

I can be wrong (I hope so), but I think they'll try to mix it in a way that if you have an XBOXone, buy a game on it, you'll get additional copy as UWP that can only be redeemed at Windows Store and installed on W10, thus forcing console players to have W10... After that they can easily force subscription on your W10 regardless the version - And people will choose to pay it instead of losing what they have.

They'll gain numbers from grannies who would gladly pay to avoid having to deal with this kind of problem... And lose numbers from people who actually knows to work around OS's in general when those people start to see it coming. For business not much of a choice depending on what you work with.

Like someone said before, they have the balls on their hands. Something like that.

No there not - JEEZ. Apple is the one to rule all - I mean that is what they are really doing.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited August 2016
    Asm0deus said:
    Anireth said:

That is a silly analogy. Back when mid range UNIX boxes were a thing you could sell your old one but the purchaser had to by new software licenses from the vendor. No one ever said 'but that's like selling a car without an engine'. Even with Windows 10 we are talking about 'cars with engines', they have an OS already this is an upgrade.

On the enterprise level there have been Microsoft software maintenance agreements for decades that allowed free upgrades and licensing of their software.
    Post edited by craftseeker on
    edited August 2016
    Asm0deus said:
    Anireth said:

That is a silly analogy. Back when mid range UNIX boxes were a thing you could sell your old one but the purchaser had to by new software licenses from the vendor. No one ever said 'but that's like selling a car without an engine'. Even with Windows 10 we are talking about 'cars with engines', they have an OS already this is an upgrade.

On the enterprise level there have been Microsoft software maintenance agreements for decades that allowed free upgrades and licensing of their software.
    Nothing silly about it and maybe you need to go back an understand what I am saying, at least Ridelynn got my point.

As to windows 10 being an "upgrade" that all depends on your point of view, to me windows 10 is a serious downgrade.