Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert censorship veers into the realm of the absurd

Comments

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Viper482 said:
    Personally tired of the p2w QQ. Find another game if this bothers you so much. Personally I think it is being severely overdramatized. You can only sell 5 things per week from the cash shop. All I see are players with no life QQ about people that do not have as much time to play catching up to them with real life money, citing their "hard work" rofl. No, hard work is what I do every day to earn REAL money that I will use to buy things to sell to you with your FAKE money in the game.

Does the term "slippery slope" carry any significance with you?

How about the term "give them an inch and they will take a mile?

I suppose a more telling term would be the one that goes "there is a sucker born every second" ....

... for that is the term that no doubt gave birth to that very meaningful term " those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it."  

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Viper482 said:
    Personally tired of the p2w QQ. Find another game if this bothers you so much. Personally I think it is being severely overdramatized. You can only sell 5 things per week from the cash shop. All I see are players with no life QQ about people that do not have as much time to play catching up to them with real life money, citing their "hard work" rofl. No, hard work is what I do every day to earn REAL money that I will use to buy things to sell to you with your FAKE money in the game.

I suppose a more telling term would be the one that goes "there is a sucker born every second" ....

... for that is the term that no doubt gave birth to that very meaningful term " those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it."  

The actual quote is:

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
    George Santayana from 'The Life of Reason'
    and no it has nothing to do with suckers.
    Viper482 said:

The actual quote is:

I didn't mean to quote it in specifics but if you think a quote like "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" has nothing to do with suckers then its best that you stick with quoting word for word book knowledge because your common sense is lacking.
    Viper482 said:

The actual quote is:

I didn't mean to quote it in specifics but if you think a quote like "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" has nothing to do with suckers then its best that you stick with quoting word for word book knowledge because your common sense is lacking.
    Perhaps if you read Santayana rather than misquoting him you would understand why you are completely and utterly wrong.
    edited August 2016
    Viper482 said:

The actual quote is:

Perhaps if you read Santayana rather than misquoting him you would understand why you are completely and utterly wrong.
    The passage in my post wasn't quoted in specific and had nothing to do with the topic of discussion at hand. I merely used it to advance the point being made.  I assure you that had the quote been relevant to the central topic of discussion I would have quoted it in specific and maybe even gone into depth regarding its many variations.  There are many variations to the quote all over the internet.  You can search the quote in google for first hand proof. Something I am sure you did before making your post, yet you could not resist posting and correcting another simply to elevate your own self esteem.

Case in point ...

https://www.nationalchurchillmuseum.org/blog/churchill-quote-history/

... and there are many others.  But I used this link in specific because its context speaks to how relevant the term is to my post.  To wit ...

If you weren't so insecure about yourself you would not need to resort to attempting to correct and belittle others about such insignificant passages in an effort to make yourself feel better.  Especially when there exists the potential for it to work against you, as it has befittingly done so in this case.
    Post edited by LacedOpium on
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I wouldn't necessarily call it censorship.  Perhaps they just wanted to cut down on all the similar posts.  It's understandable from a moderator's point of view.

Censorship would be a deliberate intent to silence people.  However, we don't know the motives behind the moderator.
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    HAHAHAHAHAH!!
    I only received a 48 hour ban for posting this on their forums:

Dear Developers
    ....................../´¯/) 
    ....................,/¯../ 
    .................../..../ 
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸ 
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\ 
    ........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...') 
    .........\.................'...../ 
    ..........''...\.......... _.·´ 
    ............\..............( 
    ..............\.............\....

Viper482 said:

The actual quote is:

The passage in my post wasn't quoted in specific and had nothing to do with the topic of discussion at hand. I merely used it to advance the point being made.  I assure you that had the quote been relevant to the central topic of discussion I would have quoted it in specific and maybe even gone into depth regarding its many variations.  There are many variations to the quote all over the internet.  You can search the quote in google for first hand proof. Something I am sure you did before making your post, yet you could not resist posting and correcting another simply to elevate your own self esteem.

Case in point ...

... and there are many others.

If you weren't so insecure about yourself you would not need to resort to correcting and belittle others about such insignificant passages in an effort to make yourself feel better. Since you are so ardent about correcting and belittling others over insignificant word for word book knowledge in an effort to raise your self-esteem, you can do a bit of research on that type of behavior in the area of psychology and it may give you some valuable insight about yourself.  I am sure you will find it interesting and informative. 
    Or perhaps you could go and read Santayana and come to understand why you were wrong rather than engaging in pop psychology.

BTW, while there may be many variations Santayana's is the original and your misquoting of it talked about the birth of the term. Oh and while I am about it the preceding quote should be 'there is a sucker born every minute' not every second. But that IS nitpicking.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    observer said:
    I wouldn't necessarily call it censorship.  Perhaps they just wanted to cut down on all the similar posts.  It's understandable from a moderator's point of view.

Censorship would be a deliberate intent to silence people.  However, we don't know the motives behind the moderator.
    Valid point. Many members of the NA/EU tend to suffer from "special snowflake" syndrome, where they think they are the hero that the mmorpg community needs, so rather than their potential opinion being drowned out in a snowstorm they simply make a new thread about the same issue. This forum is not exempt from it.

But the reality is that the company just does not want it on their forums. Anyone can visit these forums, which people who are somewhat interested in a game tend to look up videos about the game first and check the official forums second. If you see people talking about p2w and it has quite a bit of agreement from the current player base then that has the potential of costing revenue. Most forum rules of companies have a rule that states they can and will delete any posts that are deemed to damage or cost potential revenue to the business. Is it right? That's honestly more subjective than people think because right or wrong depends on the perspective. Gaming community perspective may see it wrong where as from a business perspective its right. Sure the information can be replicated but to be honest, the average gamer doesn't overexert the energy to look up multiple sources about a game. They will usually go to the first two sources I stated earlier and leave it at that.
  • ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211
    I thought it was a very well written post and summarized things in an adult manner (much unlike the rest of the forums in BDO when I played).   It is a shame that he was banned.
    edited August 2016
    Viper482 said:

The actual quote is:

Case in point ...

If you weren't so insecure about yourself you would not need to resort to correcting and belittle others about such insignificant passages in an effort to make yourself feel better. Since you are so ardent about correcting and belittling others over insignificant word for word book knowledge in an effort to raise your self-esteem, you can do a bit of research on that type of behavior in the area of psychology and it may give you some valuable insight about yourself.  I am sure you will find it interesting and informative. 
    Or perhaps you could go and read Santayana and come to understand why you were wrong rather than engaging in pop psychology.

BTW, while there may be many variations Santayana's is the original and your misquoting of it talked about the birth of the term. Oh and while I am about it the preceding quote should be 'there is a sucker born every minute' not every second. But that IS nitpicking.

Perhaps I wasn't trying to quote Santayana's original quote.  I no more misquoted Santayana than quote the dozens, if not hundreds, of other similar quotes used on the internet.  

Again ... 

... and there are many others.  But I used this link in specific because its context speaks to how relevant the term is to my post.  To wit ...

“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”

That passage is about as relevant as it can get regarding my post and the topic at hand. By the way, this is a gaming forum, not a philosophy, history, or English grammar forum.  No one likes the know-it-all grammar and history forum police types.  All this serves in accomplishing is derailing the central topic at hand.  Do us all a favor and take that mess somewhere else.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited August 2016
    Lleith said:

The guy was banned for posting that. Controversial? Sure - but certainly not anywhere near the most vitriolic thing that BDO's forums have seen in the past 48 hours. But the ban hammer came down nonetheless: thread deleted, user bludgeoned into silence.

Some of you guys really need to grow up. Including that poster.

Game forums are not places for people to express anything they want, fight injustice, insult the owners, or "just being honest".

They are there to bring the community together so that the company can support that community for a game it sells.

The only reason that company has that forum is because of its product.

that company is not going to want to host angry mobs who are there to cause a negative environment about its product, so of course he was banned.

You don't like a product or the business model then don't support it. Support a competitor who does what you think are the right things. It's just that simple. But don't expect a business to host dissent on their own virtual property.

Stop thinking video games are a "right".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    edited August 2016
    I don't know whether anything written in the post of this user is true, or his intentions, or the intentions of the moderators. But companies post funny things all the time. Be it features that never see the light of day, patch notes that are simply wrong (missing things on one hand, and the things listed are not as described).

Many also complaing about people running away with the money they got from Kickstarter. The Allods team went so far as to moderate their subreddit for "P2W". A subreddit is not owned by the company the topic is about, nor is it even an official presence like Facebook or Twitter.

Or look at Star Citizien. Might one day be the best game that ever was, and technically it might be still on track, but with so many changes of direction, contradictory statements, shoddy post by people in official capacity and missing the original launch by years with no end in sight..

Some developers also used the term "P2W" themselves. Here is an example from Homefront:
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/homefront-the-revolution-will-have-at-least-a-year/1100-6434165/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

So "P2W" is basically whatever you want it to mean according to many year, so his statement was basically hot air. Why is no one here talking about that, if using the term "P2W" is an issue? Why does the user over at the Black Desert forum deserve a ban for it, but developers are free to use it to promote their game?

Another example: The Blade & Soul team cherry picked what they were talking about when comparing versions. Like, when they introduced the Silverfrost weapons, they also had the system in place that an upgrade had a chance to reset your gem slots.

They talked long about how you could get gem hammers everywhere so it wouldn't be an issue that you had to reopen the gem slots etc, but completely left out that they did away with exactly that in the NA/EU version.

Yes, people in Asia where sitting on piles of Gem Hammers wishing they could do something with them, but in NA/EU, they were really rare, i think out of 20 chars that i know (across 8 players or so) that got to max level and completed the story, we had like 5 gem hammers (played up to and including the Vengeance breaks update) And you needed several per slot, while upgrading your weapon coud cost you all (4-6) slots.

Why is this okay,but players not writing posts that are up to academic standards is not?

So the guy might have been wrong, who cares, companies should be held to a higher standard than private persons. As long as companies do stuff like the above, his post was perfectly fine.

And banning him? At most the topic should have been moved to "Off-topic" and a mod asking people to stay civilized (if necessary). At best a community manager would have found some time to actually do some managing instead of only rehashing stuff that should be found on the official page and in the forum (maintenance status, announcing ingame events).

To be clear: They were completey in their right to do as they see fit, but that doesn't make it any less stupid or wrong from a objective point of view.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

Viper482 said:

The actual quote is:

Case in point ...

Perhaps I wasn't trying to quote Santayana's original quote.  I no more misquoted Santayana than quote the dozens, if not hundreds, of other similar quotes used on the internet.  

Again ... 

“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong–these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”

That passage is about as relevant as it can get regarding my post and the topic at hand. By the way, this is a gaming forum, not a philosophy or history forum.  No one likes the know-it-all grammar and history forum police types.  All this serves in accomplishing is derailing the central topic at hand.  Do us all a favor and take that mess somewhere else.

Or you could just climb down from your high horse and admit you made a mistake and go on with life. After all a quote from an early twentieth century Spanish philosopher has no connection with a glib comment made in the mid nineteenth century by a U.S. showman.
    edited August 2016
    Viper482 said:

The actual quote is:

Case in point ...

Again ... 

That passage is about as relevant as it can get regarding my post and the topic at hand. By the way, this is a gaming forum, not a philosophy or history forum.  No one likes the know-it-all grammar and history forum police types.  All this serves in accomplishing is derailing the central topic at hand.  Do us all a favor and take that mess somewhere else.

Or you could just climb down from your high horse and admit you made a mistake and go on with life. After all a quote from an early twentieth century Spanish philosopher has no connection with a glib comment made in the mid nineteenth century by a U.S. showman.

Dude, relax.

The use of the quotes where posted in passing and simply in an attempt to make a point.  I obviously made no effort in posting the quotes in accurate specificity because that was of obvious importance to no one other than one with a hair up in a dark place.  

Scratch it and move on.
    Viper482 said:

The actual quote is:

Case in point ...

Again ... 

Dude, relax.

The use of the quotes where posted in passing and simply in an attempt to make a point.  I obviously made no effort in posting the quotes in accurate specificity because that was of obvious importance to no one other than one with a hair up in a dark place.  

Scratch it and move on.
    I think it is evident from your posts that both the hair and the dark place belong to you. I am quite relaxed indeed I am amused by your attempts to twist things around. An admission of error would be nice but I expect that this is as close as you are going to get.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited August 2016
    Viper482 said:

The actual quote is:

Case in point ...

Again ... 

Dude, relax.

Scratch it and move on.
    I think it is evident from your posts that both the hair and the dark place belong to you. I am quite relaxed indeed I am amused by your attempts to twist things around. An admission of error would be nice but I expect that this is as close as you are going to get.

Only the truly pompous, obnoxious, and petty would be craving for an admission of error over such nonsense as the vague passing of quotes and grammar totally irrelevant to the thread topic at hand.

Congrats.

Post edited by LacedOpium on
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Nilden said:

I think what your saying is garbage but I support your right to say it.
    There is no such thing as free speech on a company owned forum in a other country.

Every country has it's own laws.

And if you can say all you want in yours without consequences, once you cross the borders your laws don't mean anything anymore.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    scorpex-x said:
    Lleith said:
    https://bdomaths.wordpress.com/2016/08/06/the-end-of-a-short-journey/

The guy was banned for posting that. Controversial? Sure - but certainly not anywhere near the most vitriolic thing that BDO's forums have seen in the past 48 hours. But the ban hammer came down nonetheless: thread deleted, user bludgeoned into silence.

Honestly, as an MMORPG company, you couldn't draw up a battleplan to sink your own stock and trade faster than what Daum/Kakao (or however the hell it's spelled) are doing. It's absolutely amazing how out-of-touch they are, and even more bizarre that they believe that in the most tech-savvy era in human history that word of their shenanigans wouldn't IMMEDIATELY get out and be poured like gasoline back onto the fire brewing in their backyard.

Now every 3rd post is quoting that deleted thread! There's nothing like successful censorship!
    I don't get the outcry, almost all mmo forums do this.

Square enix are among the worst, they ban people for all kinds of nonsense.  Far less than this.

I have to agree with this.

I really love FFXIV and play it, but some time after launch of ARR, I complained on the forums regarding the horrific queue times for DPS jobs (which were horrific at that time and basically forced me to reroll a tank job instead, as I don't have the time to Level up all kinds of different jobs).
    I was constructive, didn't troll, didn't use any vulgar words whatsoever.

INSTA ban! No explanation. Nothing. Just instant perma ban! I wrote an email to SE about this excessive moderation practice and got an answer that they cannot do anything, as they leave it all to the moderators.

The official SE forums are among the worst and have ZERO tollerance for critisism, unless you are friends with one of the mods. Really sad.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2016
    JeroKane said:

I really love FFXIV and play it, but some time after launch of ARR, I complained on the forums regarding the horrific queue times for DPS jobs (which were horrific at that time and basically forced me to reroll a tank job instead, as I don't have the time to Level up all kinds of different jobs).

INSTA ban! No explanation. Nothing. Just instant perma ban! I wrote an email to SE about this excessive moderation practice and got an answer that they cannot do anything, as they leave it all to the moderators.

The official SE forums are among the worst and have ZERO tollerance for critisism, unless you are friends with one of the mods. Really sad.
    ...or likely you weren't as constructive as you think you were. Outrageous idea, isn't it?

People often deem posts constructive if they resonate with their own bias.

The OP is prime example of such case, obviously non-constructive post, yet there are people who find it "constructive" and "well written" just because of their sympathy with the author.
  • GainsNGamesGainsNGames Member UncommonPosts: 107

How To Admit You Were Wrong And Not Lose Face

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2016

How To Admit You Were Wrong And Not Lose Face

That's humiliating...

Thank God I am never wrong.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Daum flat-out stated they might do this down the line, yet nobody bothered to pay attention at the time. Now they scream and cry about 'betrayal', when in fact there wasn't one. You were told it might happen, you played the game anyway. I have no sympathy for you. Next time read the information given thoroughly. 

As for the linked post, it's definitely well written... but well written garbage is still garbage. Just read anything written by Sonia Sotomayor or Anita Sarkeesian if you need a non-gaming example. It's nothing more than a thinly veiled attack on Daum / Kakao based purely on emotion with little to no logical thought put into it. Banning the guy may have been a bit extreme (deleting the post would've sufficed), but it may have been warranted, as I don't know what his posting history is. Chances are, he's caused trouble before. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Gdemami said:
    JeroKane said:

...or likely you weren't as constructive as you think you were. Outrageous idea, isn't it?

People often deem posts constructive if they resonate with their own bias.

The OP is prime example of such case, obviously non-constructive post, yet there are people who find it "constructive" and "well written" just because of their sympathy with the author.

I was constructive. It was a topic with lot of People complaining and I just chimed in to agree, writing Down my average Queue times, etc.

A lot of People were banned that day and entire post insta locked.

Even if I wasn't constructive, you would normally first get a warning of some sort, but on the SE forums the only do perma bans! That's it.