Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com buys a small forum for $20K...

doofhoofdoofhoof Member UncommonPosts: 13
...and then immediately loses its investment when the entire community jumps ship:

http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.php?10598-Draegan-sold-the-site-to-MMORPG-com

No wonder these clowns are having trouble "keeping the lights on"

Comments

• rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693
    edited August 2016
    wtf , anyone know if troll or is this real?

• doofhoofdoofhoof Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Sadly, it's very, very real. Around page 28 or 29 mmoCraig actually chimes in. Community is now at rererolled.org, plenty more detail there.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    It's real. I've been a lurker at rerolled since it was the old Fires of Heaven site. That site is basically the polar opposite of this site, in the sense that the forums are basically a free-for-all. 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Not knowing if it's true or not, this is very telling for the "story":

"We purchased this site a few months back from the previous owners and honestly it was not represented to us very accurately. There was no mention that it was anything other than a "mmo community forum that was centered around an old EQ guild." Had I known what I know now - I never would have purchased it."

To drop 20k on anything and not do your due dilligence is just egregiously negligent regardless if it's a drop in the bucket or not. If that's the case they might as well have bought a package from Star Citizen.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Forgrimm said:
    It's real. I've been a lurker at rerolled since it was the old Fires of Heaven site. That site is basically the polar opposite of this site, in the sense that the forums are basically a free-for-all. 
    Yes there's a strong emphasis on freedom of speech over there. I think the current plan is to go back under the Fires of Heaven banner, they just registered firesofheaven.org. Hope to see you over there!
    Not knowing if it's true or not, this is very telling for the "story":

"We purchased this site a few months back from the previous owners and honestly it was not represented to us very accurately. There was no mention that it was anything other than a "mmo community forum that was centered around an old EQ guild." Had I known what I know now - I never would have purchased it."

To drop 20k on anything and not do your due dilligence is just egregiously negligent regardless if it's a drop in the bucket or not. If that's the case they might as well have bought a package from Star Citizen.
    Yeah Craig McGregor is no Mark Cuban that's for sure.
    That site, full of Internet badass tough guys.

Off to bleach my brain now.
    Who did you think was the toughest?
    I should probably also mention that MMORPG.com is now exorting the community for $7K to buy back some old posts.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    What a strange business move.  I checked the site out, and to be honest, there's nothing there but a few random people talking about completely random stuff all day.  It's not like it's some dedicated gaming site whose population would blend into ours necessarily.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited August 2016
    *grabs popcorn, sits in the corner over there <-------- and waits for mmorpg to respond*

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Those users make MMORPG.com users seem happy-go-lucky.
    Mardukk said:
    Those users make MMORPG.com users seem happy-go-lucky.
    Yeah, these forums are like Mr. Roger's Neighborhood compared to theirs. They have a pretty tight-knit community though, made up of a lot of people who played EQ back in the early days. The site started off as Fires of Heaven, which was one of the top guilds in EQ, once lead by Alex Afrasiabi, who went on to be the creative director of WoW.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I can say this is news to me, but I would wait until Ben or Craig respond.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118

But in all honesty, I'd imagine such a buyout would have some context. Difficult to judge without knowing how (and for what reason) the takeover happened.
    edited August 2016
    Post edited by Forgrimm on
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited August 2016
    Hilarious.  I have some special beans, they grow into money trees.  You can buy them from me for $20k!  Don't worry about the HP BEANS label, that's just from what was previously in the tin. 

Not long ago they were perstering us about white listingads, now it seems they have so much money they throw it away on nonsense.  Which is it tho?
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    edited August 2016
    Yep - we purchased this site a couple months back.  However the price was NOT $20,000

It was a giant mistake.  The numbers actually were great at 1.5 million page views per month - however the sellers did not really disclose that they were more or less hosting a community on this domain that would just pack up and leave if someone else took ownership.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Admin said:
    Yep - we purchased this site a couple months back.  However the price was NOT $20,000

It was a giant mistake.  The numbers actually were great at 1.5 million page views per month - however the sellers did not really disclose that they were more or less hosting a community on this domain that would just pack up and leave if someone else too ownership.
    That's all FOH/Rerolled ever was, just the community.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited August 2016
    That's what happens when you leave the customers out of the equation.  Probably should have actually talked to the people who used the site before hand.  A large company once bought a very big building I once lived in, the company actually talked to every tenant and inspected every apartment before they bought the building.  They took nothing for granted.  If the above is true chalk it up to a learning experience, at least it wasn't a 50K site.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Admin said:

It was a giant mistake.  The numbers actually were great at 1.5 million page views per month - however the sellers did not really disclose that they were more or less hosting a community on this domain that would just pack up and leave if someone else took ownership.
    It was absolutely in the neighborhood of $20k.

Glad you acknowledge the mistake. The next step is giving the community back their posting data which includes the last words of and our goodbyes to a member who lost his battle with cancer last year.
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    That's what happens when you leave the customers out of the equation.  Probably should have actually talked to the people who used the site before hand.  A large company once bought a very big building I once lived in, the company actually talked to every tenant and inspected every apartment before they bought the building.  They took nothing for granted.  If the above is true chalk it up to a learning experience, at least it wasn't a 50K site.
    Spending time doing research also cost money. If the investment was not too big, then the risk might be worth it with little to no research. 
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    There is something really distasteful about all this, coming off the back of them pleading poverty and asking the users here for money it's pretty stinky when they obviously have a large amount of money to throw around.  Guess they need their gold plated swimming pools with that monthly payment system.

What a bunch of stinkers!  Oh well, gives me a reason to stop posting here at least.
    edited August 2016
    scorpex-x said:
    There is something really distasteful about all this, coming off the back of them pleading poverty and asking the users here for money it's pretty stinky when they obviously have a large amount of money to throw around.  Guess they need their gold plated swimming pools with that monthly payment system.

What a bunch of stinkers!  Oh well, gives me a reason to stop posting here at least.
    Feel free to swing by [removed] if you'd like to talk games while not being treated like an indentured servant. 
  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    doofhoof said:
    Admin said:

It was absolutely in the neighborhood of $20k.

Glad you acknowledge the mistake. The next step is giving the community back their posting data which includes the last words of and our goodbyes to a member who lost his battle with cancer last year.
    Judging by your comments, it sounds like a "great" community. 

As to the posting data, that community screwed over the new owners,, why should the new owners return something other than the same? 
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    Just a reminder that you cannot promote/advertise your website/product/etc on our forums.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.