Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Classic Shard says Wilki ! Posted on March 18, 2006 on UO Stratics.

EisenhowerEisenhower Member Posts: 17

Wilki: The message on a classic shard has been pretty consistent since UO:R was released: there are no plans to make one, nor is one likely anytime in the forseeable future. I cant say "never", but it is highly unlikely.

The problem here is that the classic shard audience isn't as big as some people may think, and the group itself is very divided on what they consider to be "classic". So assuming that the entire group is big enough (wich is debatable), while 20% might play pre-AoS, 30% pre-pub 16, 40% pre-UO:R and 10% pre-T2A, there is no one magic shard that will get them ALL to play. 

If we could open a classic shard and the return on investment would be enough to pay for the resources that we'd have to remove from developing UO today, there would be no reason not to. Unfortunately, currently is not the case.  

Comments

• EisenhowerEisenhower Member Posts: 17
    Like most old school UO players, I wanted an official p2p classic shard. I have played free shards but imo they are bad since the people that run them do favors for friends and ect. This is just another of many BIG let downs from the UO team. It would have been cool for them to tell us this bad news years ago and not lie to its player base that a classic shard is on the table. Its a damn shame whats been done to UO since the relase of AoS. Well all of you that wanted a classic shard can put all your hopes at rest as I have. It seems that all you will see from the UO team is what you might see from a drunk chimp with a box of crayons from here on out. UO will be a dead game very soon with very little player base. Good job UO team for all the years of lies and screw ups!
  • skezskez Member Posts: 8

How can they say the classic shard population isnt big? A good free server comes up and there are like 700 clients on it the first week, like IPY had, or UOG Divinity has now. They are missing out on a lot of money by shutting this idea down completely.

skez...

• EisenhowerEisenhower Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by skez

How can they say the classic shard population isnt big? A good free server comes up and there are like 700 clients on it the first week, like IPY had, or UOG Divinity has now. They are missing out on a lot of money by shutting this idea down completely.

The UO team does not know the numbers that are out there. They did no polls and I doubt they even did any checking. What I think they did was just look at UO stratics forums. I doubt that in prime time on any given p2p UO shard there are 300 people online, maybe less. In any case I quit playing when AoS was released. The UO team has great hate for the classic UO player for some reason and thats why I think we do not have a classic shard.

• skezskez Member Posts: 8

Ah well Im fine playing on my free server :P

skez...

• AmishFighterAmishFighter Member Posts: 9

Well EA Continues to be Stupid and I'll Continue to Keep Playing My Free Shards lol.

I think As far as the Oldschoolers go , everybody would be happy with just Pre-Trammel. I mean some people may prefer.... this before that. But as long as it brought the true realism back to UO then and got rid of all the stuff for the little kids then people would play it.

Ultima Online - UO Atlantic Gold for Sale ICQ Me: 321-375-826

• Ivanhoe79Ivanhoe79 Member Posts: 8

everyone wants pre trammel.

i would GLADLY give EA 13bucks a month to play uo classic shard.

I think the big problem is they dont WANT to have to support a classic shard because it would turn into more then just 1 classic shard but at least 4.

classic shard Atlantic

classic shard Pacific

etc etc

The playerbase is proven to be there for pre ren/pre trammel.

wtfman.com server just proved it again only shutting down due to internal conflicts.