Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pearl Items to Become Available for In-Game Currency

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imagePearl Items to Become Available for In-Game Currency

Kakao developers have posted a new thread on the Black Desert Online forum to let players know about a big change coming to the game. Value Packages, Outfits, Costumes and Pets will soon be made available through the Market Place for in-game currency. In an effort to calm potential community concerns, the team has indicated that Pearl Abyss has placed some restrictions in the system to head off those who will try to gain an advantage by using real world cash.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    ORLY?! prepare for next wave of gold farmers :D
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Going to be a good thread...

Grabs popcorn...

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    "However, we ask that you do so in a non-abusive but constructive manner."
    Oh you already know the feedback you'll get sneaky Kakao you.

beLIEve

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Well other games do this too...
    .. but other games don't have such a harsh cheating problem as this one...
    Harbinger of Fools
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Swtor and Tera does this too. They also limit the amount of items you can sell per day/week. It's not a huge deal, and i don't see why people are freaking out.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    This system of buying cash shop with in game currency works so well in GW2 because there is no open world PvP and stats are equalized in PvP. It's going to be interesting to see what type of cash shop items will be available in BDO with open world PvP and no stat equality.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2016
    Pay to get best gear + open world PvP = dead game soon, here in the west.
    It works in Asia, but not here.
    Daum/Kakao/Pearl Abyss are going to learn this the hard way.
    ...like EVE Online, right?

Problem of open world PVP games is not cash shop, it is open world PVP.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I laugh at all of this. How to make money and be greedy without appearing to be greedy. Just another game within a game :)

• AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Gold farmers? u cannot trade gold ...
  • aikatearsaikatears Member UncommonPosts: 33
    At least the responds here is better then on the game forum. It takes a few days but something new will cause a new outrage and protest.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    i like it.

one of the few things that was bugging me about this game. i think i'll go back to playing now. need to start making some gold.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    First page!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • nhatnhat Member UncommonPosts: 166

All MMOs are p2w anyways, with gold buyers everywhere people buy gold and buy anything they want
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    nhat said:

All MMOs are p2w anyways, with gold buyers everywhere people buy gold and buy anything they want
    There's a pretty big difference between banning gold sellers and selling the gold themselves.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MortalRageMortalRage Member UncommonPosts: 4

DMKano said:

Oh it works in the west just fine - as just about every MMO I the west allows players with lots of money to progress faster by selling cash shop items for game currency.

What gives you an idea this doesn't work in the west?

Also that long thread in official forums - go parse it out, take out all the duplicate posts and look at the unique posters total it's probably less than 1000.

It's a TINY minority who complain in forums.

I disagree, thats why mmo's been dieing.
  • chanmingchanming Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Who really cares? From the first moment i saw its trailer i knew that it was nothing but graphics, siege battle and exaggerated combat.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

DMKano said:

Oh it works in the west just fine - as just about every MMO I the west allows players with lots of money to progress faster by selling cash shop items for game currency.

What gives you an idea this doesn't work in the west?

Also that long thread in official forums - go parse it out, take out all the duplicate posts and look at the unique posters total it's probably less than 1000.

It's a TINY minority who complain in forums.

I disagree, thats why mmo's been dieing.
    Only certain types of MMO's are dying in the west, its why NCSoft would go out of business if they had to rely on their income from games in the west, outside their home market they are virtually nonexistent. P2W games don't do well in the west, its probably why the games that have made it, have avoided going that path. You just have to look at which MMO's are successful in the west to see what works and what doesnt.
    And as i suspect Daum already know, introducing p2w to BDO will lose them a significant portion of their playerbase, it may even kill the game in the west, particularly if this is just the first of many changes as seems likely.
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    edited August 2016
    Black Desert, a game I expected so much from (as did my friends). Daum really did a butcher job on it here in the west.

"PvP content will be added about a month after launch."
    [mod edit]

"There is no P2W."
    Lovely joke, what little PvP did exist was completely ruined by the Ghilie suit (a cash shop item that would hide your name and targeting information). The white knights will jump on the defense on this subject, but the only truth that matters is, that me and my friends had two main factors in our annoyance with the game; No PvP content, and the lameness of the Ghilie suit. These are the primary factors that lead to a lot of people quitting.

"The value pack isn't something we'll be adding to our version, the market discount pop-up is a, uh... Translation error. Yeah."
    Woops, looks like they did plan on adding it after all. Pay money, get millions of additional silver on large transactions.

Being able to trade cash shop items now was unfortunately a long time coming. Daum Europe always claimed to not desire supporting P2W in their iteration of the game, but at launch they already opened a backdoor for this one by stating that this is something "they aren't planning on adding for launch".

All I'm left thinking is, Black Desert, you were a great framework for a game with a lot of potential, but the business model and lack of honesty really murdered it for myself and the people that I played with.
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited August 2016

DMKano said:

raapnaap said:

Black Desert, a game I expected so much from (as did my friends). Daum really did a butcher job on it here in the west.

"PvP content will be added about a month after launch."

[mod edit]

"There is no P2W."

Lovely joke, what little PvP did exist was completely ruined by the Ghilie suit (a cash shop item that would hide your name and targeting information). The white knights will jump on the defense on this subject, but the only truth that matters is, that me and my friends had two main factors in our annoyance with the game; No PvP content, and the lameness of the Ghilie suit. These are the primary factors that lead to a lot of people quitting.

"The value pack isn't something we'll be adding to our version, the market discount pop-up is a, uh... Translation error. Yeah."

Woops, looks like they did plan on adding it after all. Pay money, get millions of additional silver on large transactions.

Being able to trade cash shop items now was unfortunately a long time coming. Daum Europe always claimed to not desire supporting P2W in their iteration of the game, but at launch they already opened a backdoor for this one by stating that this is something "they aren't planning on adding for launch".

All I'm left thinking is, Black Desert, you were a great framework for a game with a lot of potential, but the business model and lack of honesty really murdered it for myself and the people that I played with.

Well Daum did clearly say about the post launch possibility of selling cash shop items for in game currency here:

From Jan 15th:

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/8038-pm-diary-22-cash-shop-and-more/

It looks to me Daum was pretty upfront about this - clearly the game is past "launch phase" now and they decided to enable selling Cash Shop items like they said

You guys crack me up with this quote, if I really cared I would post quote after quote saying the opposite. So you post this only quote and that justifies what they are doing.....mmmk. BTW scroll down to the red text. " You will not receive Mileage with pearl purchases, the only way to get mileage is as a daily login reward. Cash Shop & Mileage items cannot be traded or put on the Auction House"
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    DMKano said:
    This is awesome news, can finally buy stuff without spending a cent.

Kudos Kakao and PA - the NA version is finally moving closer to how KR is setup.
    This is one of the biggest loads of manure you have foisted on these forums in quite some time now! After all the subtle ways you have put down BDO, specifically it's massive grind. Now, you are now coming in here acting all thrilled about how you can get Cash Shop items through trade as if now having to add yet another massive grind just to catch a mouth full of "whale shit" is appealing to you?

This is just one big troll!
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

aikatears said:

At least the responds here is better then on the game forum. It takes a few days but something new will cause a new outrage and protest.

"Responses" is the word you're looking for my friend :)
  • GreenBeanDemonGreenBeanDemon Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Sorta like the more pay influences the game it's like the more Ketchup is poured on my food. I came to this game for it's lower Ketchup content and then.. and then.. I would really like the chance to get a price tag on making tha damn Ketchup stop! D: I want a game with as little paid influence as possible, you want to make money. There has to be a solution here somewhere .. somehow..
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    This is awesome news, can finally buy stuff without spending a cent.

Kudos Kakao and PA - the NA version is finally moving closer to how KR is setup.
    This is one of the biggest loads of manure you have foisted on these forums in quite some time now! After all the subtle ways you have put down BDO, specifically it's massive grind. Now, you are now coming in here acting all thrilled about how you can get Cash Shop items through trade as if now having to add yet another massive grind just to catch a mouth full of "whale shit" is appealing to you?

This is just one big troll!

Umm what? 

Selling cash shop items in AH for silver provides gearing alternatives that didn't exist before. 

More choices = better

Pay to advance faster is a great option for the working gamer that has disposable income but limited time. 

Also it will give a nice revenue bost to devs to keep development going

The only people who have a problem here are the flag waving "no p2w" players who believe that if someone doesn't have 16 hours to spend a day to gear up, it's their own fault - /facepalm 

Not everyone has the same amount of free time nor disposable income.

Locking out entire segment of players who are willing to pay but don't have the time to play is absurd to me.

So silly - if you don't want to pay, just keep grinding like before - that options hasnt gone away.

Lots of folks got geared up through grind alone.

/shrug

Yeah, but it also will give carte blanch to devs. Seen it happen in other games. Now they can put everything in a cash-shop and just tell you, "hey you don't have to spend money, just play the game (= grind it)".

During the introduction period the exchange rate will be okay, but players and not the devs will be the ones who put stuff on the market. The devs will simply add more and more items/services to the cash-shop to maintain or even increase their income.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Keller said:
    Yeah, but it also will give carte blanch to devs. Seen it happen in other games. Now they can put everything in a cash-shop and just tell you, "hey you don't have to spend money, just play the game (= grind it)".

During the introduction period the exchange rate will be okay, but players and not the devs will be the ones who put stuff on the market. The devs will simply add more and more items/services to the cash-shop to maintain or even increase their income.
    ...so?

You are not making any point there apart from fairly safe assumption that there will be more things to buy - either directly in cash shop or for in-game money once people put it on the market.