Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tell me lies, Tell me sweet little lies...

GainsNGamesGainsNGames Member UncommonPosts: 107
edited August 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Was playing  some WOW before , leveling up my Druid, and  I was listening to Little Lies by Fleetwood Mac.  It got me thinking, 

Developers  constantly over-hype  their games, making exaggerated or misleading claims , giving gamers high expectations, only to get caught in their own web of lies.

What would you say  is the biggest lie a video game developer told gamers to stir up hype for a game?

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    ohh thats easy .. Game Warhammer................. Mark Jacobs... BS the community the entire way lieing thru his teeth ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited August 2016
    personally i think the biggest lie to date has to be Chris Roberts. i mean the dude has been promising now for what? ....4 years and counting? the list of things he's promised is so long most people probably don't even remember 1/4 of it.

thing is, he can just keep saying the game is "in development" 10 years from now and, technically, that gives him an excuse for not having EVERY feature he promised (or any). it's a crafty and devious lie, but still a lie. 

i paid for my ship  like 2 years ago....where is my game Roberts?

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Was playing  some WOW before , leveling up my Druid, and  I was listening to Little Lies by Fleetwood Mac.  It got me thinking, 

Developers  constantly over-hype  their games, making exaggerated or misleading claims , giving gamers high expectations, only to get caught in their own web of lies.

What would you say  is the biggest lie a video game developer told gamers to stir up hype for a game?

For me, while I play BDO and love it...CM_Jouska made up this huge pvp lie about what we were getting for a karma system...then nothing even close that it happened.  When questioned he wouldn't respond...said nothing.  Basically he wanted to shut us up on the forums.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    "We will never be Pay to Win"

-See Game List section for a complete list of names.

• saintriku92saintriku92 Member UncommonPosts: 87
    back when smite devs said they wanted to stay away from the lol/dota style like junglers being a required role. gg wp
  • KahrekKahrek Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Biggest lie ever told in any MMO? Hmmm anytime the developper tells you to play responsibly.

Cheers,
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited August 2016
    I think the last big one, is not one that was told by one particular MMO dev.  I would say the last handful of Western AAA themeparks that launched staunchly believed that their game would survive financially with a sub.  I think at that point it was more of a lie they were telling themselves.  Needless to say those recent MMO entries changed from sub to either f2p or b2p.  History repeating itself is a bitch sometimes.

EDIT: that song is now stuck in my head. I'm a Fleetwood Mac fan, but not that particular song  :p

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• MareliusMarelius Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Vutar said:
    John Smedley, pretty much everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie.
    I second this!
    Sometimes it's not always about what you can see or hear but what's under the hood of a game that's most impressive. Between those thousands and thousands of lines of code, magic happens. Sometimes the most amazing feats of gaming wizardry happen without you even noticing.

Rob Manuel

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Everything about Warhammer by Mythic. Never seen so much false hype. 
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    There is a difference between a lie and something that was thought to be true at the time but didn't pan out in the end.

Then there is purposeful deceit, telling something that technically isn't a lie but is intentionally misleading.

Trion is the biggest offender of that.

Like how they recently advertised that their subscriber (patron) status to Rift was enhanced to be 'EVEN BETTER!'.  In reality what they did was remove things from f2p, and added a few minor enhancements to patron.  technically, they were telling the truth.  But the reality was they were just nerfing F2P.

Another example:  "were not closing servers, we are repurposing them for an upcoming promotion"
    This was closer to an outright lie for many of the servers in question, in reality they closed a dozen or so servers and opened up 2 trial servers.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    The mods and devs at the time EQ2 went f2p. "Trust us, we won't screw you over". We were told that in those exact words by one of the devs whose name I can't remember. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Sony, "No changes planned for SWG." (Before the NGE hit)
    In general:
    Our new MMO will revolutionize the genre.
    It will be done when it's done.
    The Panda will be the best race to play in WoW.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ConsuetudoConsuetudo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    The biggest lie I've ever seen in the MMO community is when swindlers Jason Appleton and James Proctor told us that they would make a game called Greed Monger and took our money for it. 
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited August 2016

There are really alot of notorious liars in the industry, but since you ask for "lies to stir up hype for a game", i'd say everything that came from Funcom's Ellingson, Gaute and Thorvaldson pre AoC.

This website helped them alot with their hype and propanda based on lies and NEVER got back on them with only a single question on that in the many "interviews" afterwards.
    Those days when Funcom owned mmorpg.com and people got banned LEFT AND RIGHT from the forums (with the help of this "AoC advocate guy) whenever somebody raised his voice on the scam this company pulled off.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    You'll be able to buy any cosmetic items in the game with currency dropped from loot boxes.  -- Blizzard concerning Overwatch

First expansion?  They only allow you to buy loot boxes and no coin purchases.
  • GainsNGamesGainsNGames Member UncommonPosts: 107

Arenanet should really  start making late night infomercials. Top quality stuff. Watching this video made me want to go out and buy GW2, then I realized I already bought the game at launch.

I enjoyed GW2 though, still a fun game to hop back into  every once in a while.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Scorchien said:
    ohh thats easy .. Game Warhammer................. Mark Jacobs... BS the community the entire way lieing thru his teeth ..
    Paul Barnett surely did, but I think MJ thought he actually could implement most of the features he talked about. No matter, the game was nothing like it should have been, they canceled out almost all cool features and 4 of the 6 capitals leading to a broken endgame.

I think the worst lies were when FunCom said they were listening to what their beta testers said (almost all of us begged them to postpone AoC launch a few months but they just said their miracle patch would fix everything). 

Then again, SOEs release of an expansion and then NGEing the game nine days after launch making the entire expansion useless is worse, promoting something you could play just for a week is a really bad scam. There it isn't as much what they said but what they didn't tell us.

We have a few more examples, like selling lifetime subs at reduced price just before announcing F2P for example...
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited August 2016
    Vutar said:
    John Smedley, pretty much everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie.
    Don't forget Julio Torres. What ever happened to that guy anyways? edit: nvm he works at WB.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Pretty much everything said by Chris Roberts about Star Citizen. He's a bigger pathological liar than most politicians. 

Behind him, Derek Smart. The guy does make some good points from time to time, and does seem to have a great deal of intuition regarding the games industry, but when discussing his own shitty games he's about two points shy of Roberts. The fact that he's also an insufferable narcissist who often behaves like a child denied a candy bar at the grocery store checkout doesn't help his credibility any. 

After those two, the people in charge of Eternal Crusade. They flat out lied to get people's money. We were told the game would be open world. It's not, and never will be. They promised that a publisher would never control development of the game, but now they're taking orders from Namco / Bandai. 

The worst part is, they knew full well that they didn't have the capability to fulfill many of the promises made, but went ahead and knowingly deceived people in order to get the game funded. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Chris Roberts:
    1. There would be Co-OP in SQ42
    2. He could make his game in 2 years
    3. Star Marine would launch in 2015
    4. First the ToS said you got a refund if they didnt make the game but later changing it to say they no longer have to make anything. 
    5. He did not want to have a ridiculous sized team of 300
    6. Saying he listened to the community but when 25% of the community said in a poll they would like a refund, they closed the thread
    7. Saying lifetime insurance was going away
    8. Saying limited edition ships would not be offered again
    9. Saying there would not be any P2W in his game and then offering a ship for $225 that will dominate anyone in a cheaper ship
    10. Saying the space doors in the lobby were simple wooden doors and a garage door opener when the company label of the manufacturer can clearly be seen in the pictures of that $20,000 door.

That is just off the top of my head.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Biggest and best lies are the ones most have "bought" into by spreading the word of those lies with Blizzard sub numbers as one example. It creates this concept where people believe there is actually 12 million other out there who are paying $15 a month for the game just like them, how sad.

It's easy to see who's lying and who isn't these days by what they are charging for what they are delivering. So, the more someone tries to hide crucial info about their game before launch, know they have a lot of lies behind what's actually in their product.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited August 2016
    1. The game is not P2W
    2. Release date estimates of Kickstarter MMOs
    3. The game will have monthly content updates

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited August 2016
    Look at my signature to see one of the greatest lies ever. Releasing your product sub only then switching it to F2P, something many refused to believe in until it became reality. There was a barrage of posts with "where is the option for never?"