Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GTX 1080 Now For Sale...All Out of Stock.

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    well for me several months ago as I recall many people where saying that desipite Nividia hinting at a release that there was no way it would happen this year.

I decide to apply Moores Law to the prediction as well as look at past release patterns in the video game market per each 'generation'. Based on that I suggested that its looking likely that the cards will be released this year AND in addition to that most of the card family will be released as well.

I was basically told that trying to predict the release of cards based on Mooores law was basically just like playing craps and in essence each time Moores Law prooves itself accurate its purely by random chance
    Sometimes I wonder where you come up with this stuff. You should write professionally for Tor.

well I am not sure where I get those crazy ideas that Moores Law is predictable rather than completely random each time either but yeah..there it is

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Weekend update for 7/30

GTX 1080s: 3 Asus models in stock, running $709-$800. A Zotac in at $699, and a couple of other models in at $800-900 each. Things are looking up for the 1080, another week like this and I think we can say supply is out of the woods, and it's just lack of competition that's holding the price up.

GTX 1060s: 2 models in stock, running $289 and $329 right now

RX 480: 2 models in stock, running $329 and $399 right now.
  • RIG4REDRIG4RED Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited July 2016
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    I say we start talking about Entrance Polls
    I am pretty sure that is basically what people thought I was talking about even though I used the word 'exit polls' somehow they end up thinking I was talking about press-pull-a-prediction-out-of-their-ass weeks before a vote happens...poll anyway sorry back on subject
    You know Sean....

A little lol once in awhile goes a long way.
    This is not how trolls operate.

The man is obsessed with his ignorance and insists on spreading it across this forum.
    There is some indication of demand that has recently popped up:

Most recent Steam Hardware survey has both 1080 and 1070 showing up in the list for the first time.

1070 at 0.47%
    1080 at 0.42%

There is no real way to see total number of cards sold, but if there's enough of them to pop up on the Steam survey, there are at least a few out there in the wild, and we can see their current install base relative to some of the other cards out there.
    Ridelynn said:

Most recent Steam Hardware survey has both 1080 and 1070 showing up in the list for the first time.

1070 at 0.47%
    1080 at 0.42%

There is no real way to see total number of cards sold, but if there's enough of them to pop up on the Steam survey, there are at least a few out there in the wild, and we can see their current install base relative to some of the other cards out there.
    I think even the 970 at the end of its life was extreemly low on steam as well. sure you want to use that as an indicator of well..anything?

SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:

1070 at 0.47%
    1080 at 0.42%

I think even the 970 at the end of its life was extreemly low on steam as well. sure you want to use that as an indicator of well..anything?
    Well, if the 970 is at the end of it's life, it's currently the most popular card, with 5.22%, and it's beating the #2 card by more than 1.5%. Out of the top 20, it's also the among most expensive card in that lineup. It does have no where to go but down, but that hardly means that it's extremely low.
    A couple of spots below that is the 750Ti, at 3.13%, and that's an even endier of life card.

So you can infer there are about 11x more 970's than 1070's right now.. you may not know what either of those numbers are, but you can draw that conclusion. And you can see that the 970 is somewhat of an oddity - it hit a magic spot on price/performance, because most of the other popular cards are a lot less expensive.

You could draw some further conclusions based on the number of Steam users, but you really start to stray away from anything resembling accuracy. You could say "at least this many have probably been sold", but you couldn't come up with an accurate total number because Steam users are just a subset of the overall PC population. Again, I'll let our resident statistics experts sort all that math out.
    Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:

1070 at 0.47%
    1080 at 0.42%

Well, if the 970 is at the end of it's life, it's currently the most popular card, with 5.22%, and it's beating the #2 card by more than 1.5%. Out of the top 20, it's also the among most expensive card in that lineup. It does have no where to go but down, but that hardly means that it's extremely low.
    A couple of spots below that is the 750Ti, at 3.13%, and that's an even endier of life card.

So you can infer there are about 11x more 970's than 1070's right now.. you may not know what either of those numbers are, but you can draw that conclusion. And you can see that the 970 is somewhat of an oddity - it hit a magic spot on price/performance, because most of the other popular cards are a lot less expensive.

You could draw some further conclusions based on the number of Steam users, but you really start to stray away from anything resembling accuracy. You could say "at least this many have probably been sold", but you couldn't come up with an accurate total number because Steam users are just a subset of the overall PC population. Again, I'll let our resident statistics experts sort all that math out.
    maybe I can state it more simply if 970 is the most popular card why is it only 5.22%? that was the argument (basically) that was shoved up my ass by others nearly on daily when saying VR isnt going to happen because of the hardware requirements

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:

1070 at 0.47%
    1080 at 0.42%

maybe I can state it more simply if 970 is the most popular card why is it only 5.22%? that was the argument (basically) that was shoved up my ass by others nearly on daily when saying VR isnt going to happen because of the hardware requirements
    Steam Hardware survey is not unreliable because some anon told you that in some unknown thread.

If you want to argue against Steam Hardware survey, you'll have to come up with better arguments than some anon told you so on the internet.

Vrika said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:

1070 at 0.47%
    1080 at 0.42%

Steam Hardware survey is not unreliable because some anon told you that in some unknown thread.

If you want to argue against Steam Hardware survey, you'll have to come up with better arguments than some anon told you so on the internet.
    did you mean to respond to me because I am not talking about reliablity or lack of reliablity.

I am saying one group is saying 5.22% is a high number
    another group is saying its not.

completely depending on the agenda they want to attack

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    I don't know why everyone is going mad over these new cards, unless you plan to get into VR they are marginal upgrades over the last gen.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    SEANMCAD said:
    Vrika said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:

1070 at 0.47%
    1080 at 0.42%

did you mean to respond to me because I am not talking about reliablity or lack of reliablity.

I am saying one group is saying 5.22% is a high number
    another group is saying its not.

completely depending on the agenda they want to attack
    I meant to respond to you.

In that case it looks like I misunderstood what you were talking about. Sorry about that.

I'm still not sure I understand. I've just understood enough that it's an argument from some other thread that doesn't concern me.

5.22% compared to every other card individually is a pretty big number. It means a statistically signifiant portion of the population chose a particular model.

But with regard to VR, that still doesn't represent a terribly large potential install base compared to all the other computers out there. Even adding in the other cards that are VR-Ready.

I'm sure the resident math wizards have a better explanation, but I doubt that any of them will satisfy your concern.
    edited August 2016
    Ridelynn said:
    5.22% compared to every other card individually is a pretty big number. It means a statistically signifiant portion of the population chose a particular model.

But with regard to VR, that still doesn't represent a terribly large potential install base compared to all the other computers out there. Even adding in the other cards that are VR-Ready.

I'm sure the resident math wizards have a better explanation, but I doubt that any of them will satisfy your concern.
    ok 

1. I would hope to assume you would not be expecting the 1080 and the 1070 at this time come close to numbers of cards from last generation are now. If that is what you are expecting then its fair to say the only point in which the 1080 or the 1070 would qualify as 'widely avaible' would be only after the NEXT gneration of cards have been out and the 1080 and 1070 are coming close to the end of its lifespan.

2. with above I am unclear what number you would expect to be interesting in the context of any point you are making which I might add you didnt make a point.

3. for about 3 weeks I combated the continuous argument that the 970 is an uncommon card, now here we are. I find it assuming that when it comes to VR the arguement has to be compared to all PCs but when its not VR then it doesnt. flip flop back and forth to suit ones objectives of attack.

EXAMPLE:
    'the 970 is a widely used card a 5% of steam users and clearly people are willing to buy them at that price point'

when talking about VR we can change it to:
    'the 970 is too expensive and most gamers would never spend that given its only 5% of the gaming population

Do you have quotes where we said the 970 wasn't common? I think you are taking something out of context here, but I'm too lazy to go back and look myself.

Is cost a factor in VR? Yes.
    Do people ~only~ buy GPUs for VR? No. 
    Would a lot of people have to buy a new GPU for VR? Yes.
    Would all people have to buy a new GPU for VR? No.

Why does this have to keep coming back to VR for you? The world, and the gaming world as a subset of that, does not revolve around VR. I can say with certainty for myself, and with estimation that it applies to a lot of other people on here, that we just don't really care that much about VR one way or the other.
    edited August 2016
    Ridelynn said:
    Do you have quotes where we said the 970 wasn't common? I think you are taking something out of context here, but I'm too lazy to go back and look myself.

Is cost a factor in VR? Yes.
    Do people ~only~ buy GPUs for VR? No. 
    Would a lot of people have to buy a new GPU for VR? Yes.
    Would all people have to buy a new GPU for VR? No.

Why does this have to keep coming back to VR for you? The world, and the gaming world as a subset of that, does not revolve around VR. I can say with certainty for myself, and with estimation that it applies to a lot of other people on here, that we just don't really care that much about VR one way or the other.
    actually you basically did the exact what I am saying not but two posts ago

you suggested that 970 was popular then not but about one post later you suggested that most gamers do not have a 970.

both statements are true but you used one version and then the other to promote your two different agendas.

I strongly encourage you to meditate on that a bit

If both statements are true, why wouldn't I use them to support my agenda?

Imagine that.. using a true statement to support a discussion. That must be blasphemy.
    Ridelynn said:
    If both statements are true, why wouldn't I use them to support my agenda?

Imagine that.. using a true statement to support a discussion. That must be blasphemy.
    you use '970 is common place' to support your video card agenda and then you use 'most gamers dont have a 970' to support the VR agenda.

its rather comical.

never the less it is off point. back to the point, what exactly is a good % number for the 1070 to be considered whatever it should be considered?

Update for 8/5/2016

GTX 1080: 2 models in stock at $700-$710, another in at $770, another at $880. Pretty much the same as last week.

GTX 1060: 1 model at $279, 3 models at $339. Nothing at MSRP in stock. Pretty much the same as last week

RX 480 - only one model in stock right now, at $330. Pretty much the same as last week.

RX 470 - right now several are in stock at $199-$239. This is the first week for them, so this doesn't say much about availability yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited August 2016
    This will be my last comment regarding VR, then it needs to move to a different thread if you want to continue the discussion, which I'm more than happy to do.

Let's add up all the VR-Ready GPUs on the Steam site. 970's, 980's, 980Tis, R9 390s, 1070's, 1080's. Not sure if I am missing any that are on the list.

All of those added up.... 8.38%

So of all the gamers (at least those on steam, that chose to respond to the survey): 8.38% of them are VR ready. Almost 2/3 of them are running the 970.

Or... 91.62%, give or take 0.15%, would have to upgrade their graphics to run VR.

Is 5.22% significant when looking at a single card compared to any other card: Yes, it's far and away the most popular card. Almost 2/3 of all people who are "ready" to run VR are running the 970 - that's significant too, in that it signals how popular the 970 is.

Does that mean VR is saved and GPU cost isn't a factor in a VR decision? Ask the 91.62% who still need to upgrade...

edited August 2016
    Ridelynn said:
    This will be my last comment regarding VR, then it needs to move to a different thread if you want to continue the discussion, which I'm more than happy to do.

Let's add up all the VR-Ready GPUs on the Steam site. 970's, 980's, 980Tis, R9 390s, 1070's, 1080's. Not sure if I am missing any that are on the list.

All of those added up.... 8.38%

So of all the gamers (at least those on steam, that chose to respond to the survey): 8.38% of them are VR ready. Almost 2/3 of them are running the 970.

Or... 91.62%, give or take 0.15%, would have to upgrade their graphics to run VR.

Is 5.22% significant when looking at a single card compared to any other card: Yes, it's far and away the most popular card. Almost 2/3 of all people who are "ready" to run VR are running the 970 - that's significant too, in that it signals how popular the 970 is.

Does that mean VR is saved and GPU cost isn't a factor in a VR decision? Ask the 91.62% who still need to upgrade...

let me ask again

what % is considered good for a measurement of what you are trying to measure with the 1080 and 1070. 5% would clearly be far to high.

I'm not really trying to measure anything. I'm just pointing out something I thought was interesting. We thought the stock issue with the 1080 was related to supply - maybe it's not. This data doesn't prove or disprove that, but does provide some insight.
    edited August 2016
    Ridelynn said:
    I'm not really trying to measure anything. I'm just pointing out something I thought was interesting. We thought the stock issue with the 1080 was related to supply - maybe it's not. This data doesn't prove or disprove that, but does provide some insight.
    demand based on those numbers you posted seem to suggest its pretty good given that 5% of steam users would be a top ceiling 

Ridelynn said:
    Update for 8/5/2016

GTX 1080: 2 models in stock at $700-$710, another in at $770, another at $880. Pretty much the same as last week.

GTX 1060: 1 model at $279, 3 models at $339. Nothing at MSRP in stock. Pretty much the same as last week

RX 480 - only one model in stock right now, at $330. Pretty much the same as last week.

RX 470 - right now several are in stock at $199-$239. This is the first week for them, so this doesn't say much about availability yet.
    Just ordered it =)

ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

Congrats! Hope it works out well for you, let us know what you think. I just pulled the trigger on the PowerColor 470 to upgrade my wife's 660.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다