Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Needing help picking out a class

darnapkindarnapkin Member UncommonPosts: 146
Hello, just as the title says I need help finding a class for me.

I hate to say but most of my answers to explain my favorite class or going to be generic. I enjoy a some what flashy class, I either like burst dps or some really high dps attacks. Not one for really stealth attacks. I do enjoy range, but sometimes its nice to smash something in the face. Armor class does not matter to me. So what does this sound like to you?

Thank you for looking at this and giving me your time to help a fellow gamer.

also does race matter much? right now I'm looking at the  Daggerfall Covenant.

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'd say Templar.  Flashy burst damage with good in your face damage and nice heals.  Also some nice range skills.  I usually prefer DC but now you can switch over and level in any starting area I think.  Race depends it helps the stats of your class.  I have one of each class so I could try them all and then decide.  Good luck and enjoy.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited August 2016
    I usually prefer DC but now you can switch over and level in any starting area I think.  
    Not yet. That will be the case in 3 months or so when they release the One Tamriel patch, but for now you're still locked to the 1-50 leveling in your chosen alliance's zones.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Iselin said:
    I usually prefer DC but now you can switch over and level in any starting area I think.  
    Not yet. That will be the case in 3 months or so when they release the One Tamriel patch, but for now you're still locked to the 1-50 leveling in your chosen alliance's zones.
    Game is going to be booming once it hits!
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Download Test Server create a max lvl class of each with 300 champ points and test your self.

Can't suggest a class as I prefer solo builds  such that do moderate dmg and can survive alone, outstanding ever one ..
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Download Test Server create a max lvl class of each with 300 champ points and test your self.

Can't suggest a class as I prefer solo builds  such that do moderate dmg and can survive alone, outstanding ever one ..
    I prefer the same thing but might as well do it in live.  It's good to have alts because when there's a nerf you can easily switch to another class especially after they share CP.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• darnapkindarnapkin Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I'm not really one to play alts. I like to stick with my main.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    One thing to remember is that a "class" simply gives you some skill lines that are not available to other classes. The majority of skill lines are available to any class and within these there are healing skills, tanking skills and damage skills. Nor does the class you pick limit your armour, your weapon choice or how you choose to allocate your stat points, skill points or CS points.

Hence e.g. a stamina based sorcerer when you would ordinarily equate stamina with tanks and magic with magic using classes.

That is not to say you won't opt to use class skills - especially at the start - just something to remember. Character builds can be quite diverse. 
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    I'd say Templar.  Flashy burst damage with good in your face damage and nice heals.  Also some nice range skills.  I usually prefer DC but now you can switch over and level in any starting area I think.  Race depends it helps the stats of your class.  I have one of each class so I could try them all and then decide.  Good luck and enjoy.
    i would agree with this, you can be a spell caster/healer and still feel like a melee with the puncturing sweep ability which is pretty OP in pve.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    The great thing about ESO is you can create a great variety of characters that fit in almost any way you want.

Every class has a 'flashy' set of skills.  Dragonknights have their flame set and dragon sets, both of which are flashy with a couple of good sustained DPS powers.  Templars have their light attack set and Ardent spear, both of which can be setup to be very high DPS and have lots of pizzazz.  And eventually Templars get the Jesus Beam, which is pretty flashy...

The best classes for 'flashy' DPS is definitely Sorcerer and Nightblade.  Both have EXTREME burst damage powers.  And you can wear whatever armor you want.  Highest in class DPS with a sorc is using light armor, and highest in class DPS with a nightblade is medium armor, but there is nothing stopping you from wearing heavy armor on both.

Sorc is mainly ranged, and nightblade is mainly melee.  But I have seen plenty of Stamina sorcs (bow or melee, using in-class powers to be ferocious at range), and I have seen plenty of nightblades using a bow.

A nightblade does not have to be a sneaky bastage if you don't want to play them like that.  A sorc does not have to use pets or stand at extreme range if you don't want to play like that.  I like @MikePaladin suggestion of trying a few builds on the test server.

Try classic non-pet sorc.
    Try melee DPS nightblade without the sneak powers.  And with the sneak powers.
    Try a Templar set up as a DPS Paladin, which is what I am playing as my almost main (main is a boring tank).

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    darnapkin said:
    Hello, just as the title says I need help finding a class for me.

I hate to say but most of my answers to explain my favorite class or going to be generic. I enjoy a some what flashy class, I either like burst dps or some really high dps attacks. Not one for really stealth attacks. I do enjoy range, but sometimes its nice to smash something in the face. Armor class does not matter to me. So what does this sound like to you?

Thank you for looking at this and giving me your time to help a fellow gamer.

also does race matter much? right now I'm looking at the  Daggerfall Covenant.
    Pick the class you most hate, and after you become frustrated pick the class you really wanted to play.