Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

/r/NoMansSkyTheGame goes into meltdown

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited August 2016
    An ongoing  list of changes that is causing a lot of the ire

1. 90/10 life rule. So far 100% of the planets have life.
    2. No real ship classes.
    3. No "weirder planets and creatures closer to the center"
    4. Community working together to discover crafting recipes. Everything now has a blueprint.
    5. No "Epic space battles" Space is rather empty most of the time.
    6. No Element combination.
    7. Portals. No one seen them (perhaps yet)
    8. No ringed planets.
    9. No barren planets.
    10. No leaving messages for players.
    11. No ship naming.
    12. No AI wingmen.
    13. No animals walking in herds, they all walk rather random.
    14. Cloaking devices are missing.
    15. Lack of mountain-sized mountains.
    16. Harvesting resources from stars, you can't even get close enough to them.
    17. No Day/night cycles being caused by planetary rotation and planets don't seem to be lit by the sun at all or even orbit.
    18. No creature food chains.
    19. None of those ship formations flying overhead on planet surface either, actually the business you see in the trailers is totally absent.
    20. No sign of creatures affecting trees and fauna (like the rhino in second trailer)
    21. Blasting holes in asteroids, so far I've only seen them blow up.
    22. You cannot see as far as the curvature of that planet.
    23. The universe is absent. it seems to be a chain of galaxies you move through and as far as we know now, once you leave a galaxy for the next one, you cannot return. That's not really an infinite universe at all.
    24. No landing on asteroids.
    Twitter update https://mobile.twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/760698230418071555

5am at Hello Games. Wrapping up a month of work on our first update. Lots of new features, balancing and content

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

2. No real ship classes.
    4. Community working together to discover crafting recipes. Everything now has a blueprint.
    8. No ringed planets.
    9. No barren planets.
    11. No ship naming.
    12. No AI wingmen.
    17. No Day/night cycles being caused by planetary rotation and planets don't seem to be lit by the sun at all or even orbit.
    19. None of those ship formations flying overhead on planet surface either, actually the business you see in the trailers is totally absent.
    20. No sign of creatures affecting trees and fauna (like the rhino in second trailer)
    23. The universe is absent. it seems to be a chain of galaxies you move through and as far as we know now, once you leave a galaxy for the next one, you cannot return. That's not really an infinite universe at all.
    That's great, there's obviously still plenty of stuff to discover in NMS, lol !

I'd say it's a little bit early to make sweeping statements about what is in the game and what is not. I don't consider Daymeeuhn's race to the center as the definitive NMS experience.

People are complaining that the game is appears to be "too short", and others are complaining that a host of features haven't been seen yet in the first 50 hours of game play. The irony...

Sounds pretty much like the standard gamer reaction. Rushed to endgame, missed all the side quests on the way and is now complaining that "there's nothing to do or see"...

I'd say it's a little bit early to make sweeping statements about what is in the game and what is not. I don't consider Daymeeuhn's race to the center as the definitive NMS experience.

People are complaining that the game is appears to be "too short", and others are complaining that a host of features haven't been seen yet in the first 50 hours of game play. The irony...

Sounds pretty much like the standard gamer reaction. Rushed to endgame, missed all the side quests on the way and is now complaining that "there's nothing to do or see"...

I don't know. A lot of those features have been observed from various streamers, not just that daymeehun guy where it could be argued that he bee-lined for the center / focused almost solely on the story.

There's only a few things that bother me like not being able to return to previous galaxies, no day / night cycle, an overabundance of life and that it's a bit too easy from what I've seen. Still looks to be quite good fun though.

I don't know. A lot of those features have been observed from various streamers, not just that daymeehun guy where it could be argued that he bee-lined for the center / focused almost solely on the story.

There's only a few things that bother me like not being able to return to previous galaxies, no day / night cycle, an overabundance of life and that it's a bit too easy from what I've seen. Still looks to be quite good fun though.

It's always going to be a fine balancing act when it comes to delivering anything "rare" in a mass market game.

One person's "rare and exciting" easily becomes another's "tedious and boring".

Most people seem to want things to be "rare", but they must not take too long to find, otherwise it becomes a boring slog searching for them.

If NMS had launched with the 90/10 rule in place, I'm willing to bet the whining would have been epic...
  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Reddit is right. Damn developers greedy. 

They should not release this game, scrap it, sell themselves to EA and work on SW: Call of Duty Ghost Recon 3 right away. 
    1 in 10 may well have been too much for the sofa jockeys but putting life on every planet doesn't really seem like a good compromise :), perhaps 1 in 5 would have been a better choice.

The way I see it is that if everything has life then it also becomes repetitive and boring. There's far less anticipation when approaching a new planet because you can pretty much ensure what you're going to find and that becomes tedious in itself.

1 in 10 may well have been too much for the sofa jockeys but putting life on every planet doesn't really seem like a good compromise :), perhaps 1 in 5 would have been a better choice.

The way I see it is that if everything has life then it also becomes repetitive and boring. There's far less anticipation when approaching a new planet because you can pretty much ensure what you're going to find and that becomes tedious in itself.

Whatever they did with the balancing would have been criticised loudly by some faction, that much is certain.

However, someone's comment on Reddit struck a chord with me:
    "How much of the apparent "dumbing-down" is due to the fact that Sony wanted a specific console experience to be delivered ?"

I'm not trying to absolve HG of blame here, just exploring (sic) possible reasons for the apparently glaring changes that were made to game play. Reasons are not the same as excuses.

Ultimately, it's HG's responsibility to deliver what they promised, or what they implied they would deliver. They could easily observe the discussions around the game and the expected content. Not correcting misconceptions around removed/altered content is a serious misstep, if it is in fact true.

I have always said that Sean Murray's ambiguity will come back to bite him in the ass. It certainly looks like my prediction is holding true at this point.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited August 2016

2. No real ship classes.
    8. No ringed planets.
    9. No barren planets.
    11. No ship naming.
    12. No AI wingmen.
    I was a die hard fan but this is a disaster. Over hyped scum . Damn I'll rather throw my money at Dual Universe ....

2. No real ship classes.
    8. No ringed planets.
    9. No barren planets.
    11. No ship naming.
    12. No AI wingmen.
    I was a die hard fan but this is a disaster. Over hyped scum . Damn I'll rather throw my money at Dual Universe ....
    Because you "know" Dual Universe will deliver exactly what they're promising, right ? :D
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    1. The universe is absent. it seems to be a chain of galaxies you move through and as far as we know now, once you leave a galaxy for the next one, you cannot return. That's not really an infinite universe.
    What is this all about? Sounds like a deal breaker to me. I did not see that coming.

If you spend some time on a planet, you may never go back once you move on?
    laxie said:
    1. The universe is absent. it seems to be a chain of galaxies you move through and as far as we know now, once you leave a galaxy for the next one, you cannot return. That's not really an infinite universe.
    What is this all about? Sounds like a deal breaker to me. I did not see that coming.

It seems that once you leave a galaxy you can't return to it (bear in mind there are a silly number of galaxies).
    However, you're free to return to solar systems or planets within those solar systems until you leave the galaxy they reside in.

edited August 2016
    laxie said:

It seems that once you leave a galaxy you can't return to it (bear in mind there are a silly number of galaxies).
    However, you're free to return to solar systems or planets within those solar systems until you leave the galaxy they reside in.

The tiny handful of people who have gotten hold of unpatched copies of the game have not been able to find certain game features in their first few days of play.

That made them conclude that these features don't exist in the game !

If you watch those leak streams, you might wonder how some of those streamers even figured out how to switch-on their consoles, lol

It appears that Daymeeuhn has just recently discovered that there actually ARE different ship types in the game after all, he just didn't know how to unlock them before...

The pronouncements of these ego-whores should be taken with a liberal sprinkling of salt.

Daymeeuhn is now distancing himself from his earlier claims, given that he may have discovered how everything REALLY works... :D

Post edited by SpottyGekko on
    edited August 2016
    Well discounting these guys entirely because you feel they're ego-whores is a bit silly especially when more than one streamer verifies something. 

Otherwise I hope you're right but personally I don't have much faith in day one magic patches.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    laxie said:

The tiny handful of people who have gotten hold of unpatched copies of the game have not been able to find certain game features in their first few days of play.

That made them conclude that these features don't exist in the game...

If you watch those leak streams, you might wonder how some of those streamers even figured out how to switch-on their consoles, lol

It appears that Daymeeuhn has just recently discovered that there actually ARE different ship types in the game after all, he just didn't know how to unlock them before...

The pronouncements of these ego-whores should be take with a liberal sprinkling of salt...
    SG, are you saying that what is being reported about Galaxies isn't true? or just affirming that you have a low opinion of the streamer in question?
    While you are obviously entitled to your opinion of them, and i doubt you are alone in that respect, Daymeeuhn in particular does sound like a bit of a twonk.
    Is what they are reporting incorrect though?
    If you can indeed go back to solar systems in a galaxy once you have left that galaxy, then that would change peoples impression of the game immensely, if however, you can't then, however you feel about this Daymeeuhn guy, if he's right in what he is saying, then does it matter what kind of a guy he is?
    Tbh, i have a feeling this is all tied in to the whole multiplayer issue, and why players can't play together in the game, as the chances of the galaxy being generated that conforms to another players galaxy thats generated, may well make the odds of winning the lottery seem easy.
    Phry said:
    laxie said:

That made them conclude that these features don't exist in the game...

The pronouncements of these ego-whores should be take with a liberal sprinkling of salt...
    SG, are you saying that what is being reported about Galaxies isn't true? or just affirming that you have a low opinion of the streamer in question?
    While you are obviously entitled to your opinion of them, and i doubt you are alone in that respect, Daymeeuhn in particular does sound like a bit of a twonk.
    Is what they are reporting incorrect though?
    If you can indeed go back to solar systems in a galaxy once you have left that galaxy, then that would change peoples impression of the game immensely, if however, you can't then, however you feel about this Daymeeuhn guy, if he's right in what he is saying, then does it matter what kind of a guy he is?
    Tbh, i have a feeling this is all tied in to the whole multiplayer issue, and why players can't play together in the game, as the chances of the galaxy being generated that conforms to another players galaxy thats generated, may well make the odds of winning the lottery seem easy.
    We don't know if it's possible to return to a galaxy once you've left it. None of the streamers have found a way to do it, but that quite obviously means nothing.

It means nothing because the streamers are still discovering major things that they previously thought were "missing" or "bugs".

There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to return to any part of the universe, the numerical seeds for everything are in your client. If the procedural algorithm can faithfully reproduce planets while you're "in" galaxy A, there's no reason why it cannot always do that, regardless of where you go. 

SPOILER ALERT:
    It appears that the ship/tool/suit upgrades are offered at NPC vendors are always just slightly better than your current layout. So it appears that the gear is tailored to your current "level".
    That could also mean that everything in the game is potentially tailored to your current level. Everything is procedurally generated, so even threat level can be escalated as your "level" increases.

Here's a very recent quote from the current NMS Guru (Daymeeuhn):

"I won't lie, I've completely dismissed "stuff we've been led to believe" and tossed it all out the window. I just go with what I see in the game itself at this point"

And that's after 70-80 hours of play...

Reads the spoilers for yourselves if you want:
    https://m.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4vw8gz/a_quick_note_on_finding_better_ships/
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    well if you can't link planets to other players, so they can reach you (which was the BEST answer to not having any multiplayer at all btw... still quite impressed about that move, hehe), you can't link it to yourself either :expressionless:

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Thane said:
    well if you can't link planets to other players, so they can reach you (which was the BEST answer to not having any multiplayer at all btw... still quite impressed about that move, hehe), you can't link it to yourself either :expressionless:
    I'm not following your logic here...

Are you saying that because you can't link a player on another console/PC to something that exists on your machine, that means you can't link yourself to something that exists on your machine ? :D
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Sooo once you "Leave" a Galaxy the game just creates a new one and delete's the one you "left" which would in my mind answer a lot of question on why theres almost a zero chance of you meeting another player OOOOORRRRR this game have "made" a shitbrick of "galaxy" or " mini-servers" and you randomly jump into one that "may" or may not have another player in it at the same time. which would answer how you can see someones name tag on a species or plant?
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    I found it funny where he said it's worth $60.  This from a guy that has pretty much no value for money at all.
    scorpex-x said:
    I found it funny where he said it's worth $60.  This from a guy that has pretty much no value for money at all.
    Value for money is a purely subjective thing.

Daymeeuhn gets considerable value for his money, he gets to be the "Hero of Reddit" for a week or so, and all for the low, low price of just $1300 !

It's the third time he's done this apparently...
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    scorpex-x said:

Daymeeuhn gets considerable value for his money, he gets to be the "Hero of Reddit" for a week or so, and all for the low, low price of just $1300 !

If value is purely based on time spent in the game, this is like at least 3 times more valuable than Call of Duty. 

I think that 30 hours, for the majority of people, is the sweet spot. As much as people brag about how they spent hundreds of hours in games like Skyrim, I think that is a small minority of people. However, I think that they absolutely have to offer extended gameplay for those people, too, which it sounds like they've done. 

If you need more value than $2 per hour for entertainment, I don't know how I could sell you anything. Actually, I couldn't. It wouldn't be worth my time to sell you something :)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    CrazKanuk said:
    scorpex-x said:

If value is purely based on time spent in the game, this is like at least 3 times more valuable than Call of Duty. 

I think that 30 hours, for the majority of people, is the sweet spot. As much as people brag about how they spent hundreds of hours in games like Skyrim, I think that is a small minority of people. However, I think that they absolutely have to offer extended gameplay for those people, too, which it sounds like they've done. 

If you need more value than $2 per hour for entertainment, I don't know how I could sell you anything. Actually, I couldn't. It wouldn't be worth my time to sell you something :)
    Oh these first world rich bastards... in 3rd world game always were a cheap very cheap way of entertainment. But today developers are changing this old trend   and this is because of filthy rich westerners like you :)
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    CrazKanuk said:
    scorpex-x said:

As a kid at the arcades in the 80s, if I couldn't stay alive for more than 15 minutes on a single quarter it was time to get better at the game.  Just saying...

I think $1 per hour is a better goalpost for me.  I'm sure it varies from person to person.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance