Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Is the Warcraft Movie Getting a Bad Rap? - Garrett Fuller at MMORPG.com

124»

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    The reason why it's getting a bad rap is maybe because it's not that good of a movie?

I know, crazy right?

Bottom line - if they would have made a "World of Warcraft" movie - with all the races and all the classes - and lots of places from the GAME that people can related to - make it a light hearted movie with good humor - it would have been at least hugely successful with the players.

Making a serious-theme Warcraft movie based on Human/Orc storyline - that only the diehard lore fans can fully appreciate - yeah it's going to suck for the majority of viewers.

Also - having a perfect opportunity to put a Troll doing Capoeira on film - and not doing it - it deserves all the bad rap for this alone!

I think what they are secretly saying is gamers need to give this movie a free pass to encourage other film companies to produce other mediocre fantasy movies!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• stephaniegrainerstephaniegrainer Member CommonPosts: 1
    The movie is good.. If you played the Warcraft game you will understand the movie much more.
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    It haven't done well because it is a medicore movie and it is 2016 and not 2006?

World of Warcraft is not a craze it used to be.    Would that movie be released in WoTLK times it would bring massive crowds to cinemas.   Now?  It has to stand on it's own two feets and not base it's success mainly on IP standing behind it.

Movie was just nothing special.  It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good.   They tried to be 'serious' but done a half-assed job at it.   Plot, dialogues, scenes, etc were of generic heroic fantasy type.    It just all felt bland and medicore.   In a way those 80s/90s average heroic fantasy novels feel like.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    edited August 2016
    scorpex-x said:
    Honestly, I think it's getting hated for one reason.  Because they are releasing in the US last and all these movie critics make their money from reviews when films are new.

They want to pan it in the hope they punish movie studios for doing this and it doesn't become more common.  Truth is, whether they make a sequel is down to how it does in China.  America isn't the be all and end all it used to be.

Also to people who say this is based on wow?  it's not based on wow at all, it's based on the original warcraft game.
    Not really. People who are familiar with Warcraft generally like it, the ones who aren't generally don't.

The creators could either slowly easing in the general public into the movie or make it specifically for fans of the IP. They went to make it for the fans which is good for the fans but it will lead to bad reviews and no great hype from the general moviegoer.
    If they made it the other way around the Warcraft fans would been upset but the movie would have gotten better general reception, you just need to decide who you are making the movie for.

As for focusing on north America, I think the IP actually is more popular in South Korea, China and parts of Europe but you would have to make a rather extensive survey and have far more information about where Wows playerbase live, where the WC games sold best and where the E-sports based on WC is most popular then I have.

In any case, all my Wow and WC fan friends like the movie, none of my friends who never played the games like it. That could be a really weird coincidence but I doubt it. 
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    edited August 2016
    Loke666 said:
    Not really. People who are familiar with Warcraft generally like it, the ones who aren't generally don't.

The creators could either slowly easing in the general public into the movie or make it specifically for fans of the IP. They went to make it for the fans which is good for the fans but it will lead to bad reviews and no great hype from the general moviegoer.
    If they made it the other way around the Warcraft fans would been upset but the movie would have gotten better general reception, you just need to decide who you are making the movie for.

I was playing Warcraft since first Warcraft, as time passed I was even more into it, especially once Warcraft 3 came.

But Warcraft Movie have not felt like it was done with me in mind.    Either I am diffrent than most Warcraft IP fans  or I changed much since those early Warcraft times.    Either way I haven't felt like Warcraft Movie was a thing made with catering to me in mind. 

Quite the opposite in fact.

I don't know, maybe If I still had 12 years old, I would be ecstatic about movie, but this movie certainly does not feel like made for Warcraft fans that know IP for long time and are today in their late 20, 30 or 40.
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    Perhaps an american can explain what it might be about the movie that american critics don't like?
    My American mate that saw it described it as "another John Cater of Mars." Which having never seen that film but knowing it bombed I asked him to elaborate. He explained to me that while he felt that the film makers spent quite a lot of time on the fine details like the lore and the CGI they seem to have forgotten to give that same care and attention to detail to the story itself. In other words gorgeous movie world, terrible script.
    Americans caring about script?

Are we talking about planet Earth here - where Avatar and superhero movies do more business than just about anything?
    Right, because only Americans consume American movies.  It's not those same superhero movies that are smashing global box office records or anything...

Try harder; your hipster hatred for America isn't shining through hard enough yet.
    Explosions sell in any language; the problem with the Hollywood studio system is that in their eternal pursuit of profit they aim for the lowest common denominator, they create a huge over-blown CGI mess that anyone can understand in any language, and they remove any nuance and subtlety that won't easily translate. As a result they are turning the entire industry into a juvenile, moronic plotless, characterless clusterfuck of CGI. 
    Wow, you really love to hear yourself speak huh? Lol. I thought the movie was very enjoyable and found the cgi to be pretty awesome. I guess I'm just the lowest common denominator though haha
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    I was also very defensive on it but after I watched a few time I agree it was quite bad and China pretty much saved their ass on revenue.
    Way to childish I think books where more mature more harsh humans in movie looks very goofy no wonder I don't like Alliance. For the Horde