Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Can't You Find A Game?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited August 2016
    Iselin said:
    So OP. If you don't like someting, shut up and GTFO. Ok. I'll take that under consideration.

Anyway, I'm in a guild/group of people since 2009, there has been many people in the guild over the years, but mostly what they had in common was that they want to pvp, have fun and have competition since we kinda always aim for the top. 

Lo and behold, we're still together, there's tons of people, and we're all disappointed by the MMOs of today. So we're mostly doing our own things and waiting for a decent MMO. And here you are, trying to say to all those people, that they need to just put up with all the bullshit the developers pull? People've been in plenty of alphas and varius testing, you would think that they listen to testers, well, mostly they did not. Biggest recent offenders were the Wildstar devs, they simply didn't care or had the idea they know everything. Well, the results speak for themselves. 

Meh, I could go on for pages why it is how it is, it's a complex issue, but as far as I'm concerned, for our group of peeps, it boils down to: a lot of players that value competition and good combat mechanics simply don't have fun with the new games. And even if you know what's wrong, say it to devs, well, somehow that which annoys us never gets fixed or added. 
    So if I understand what you're saying, you're part of a community that has shared values and since you're a group and have similar views, your collective assessment of the state of today's MMORPGs carries added weight because several of you share that opinion.

It's a common logical fallacy and there have been many examples throughout history of groups being dead certain (literally so in some cases) about some things even though they're wrong.

See Heaven's Gate for example. 

I for one just spent about 16 hours this past weekend PVPing in ESO and having a blast doing it. Luckily I'm not part of a jaded group too elite to enjoy that type of "lesser" entertainment. And yeah, I have been doing this in MMOs for about 17 years.
    You mentioned playing 16 hours of PVP in ESO, I am curious, what did you win? (or lose?)

I mean in terms of long term gains or accomplishments?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Iselin said:
    So OP. If you don't like someting, shut up and GTFO. Ok. I'll take that under consideration.

Anyway, I'm in a guild/group of people since 2009, there has been many people in the guild over the years, but mostly what they had in common was that they want to pvp, have fun and have competition since we kinda always aim for the top. 

Lo and behold, we're still together, there's tons of people, and we're all disappointed by the MMOs of today. So we're mostly doing our own things and waiting for a decent MMO. And here you are, trying to say to all those people, that they need to just put up with all the bullshit the developers pull? People've been in plenty of alphas and varius testing, you would think that they listen to testers, well, mostly they did not. Biggest recent offenders were the Wildstar devs, they simply didn't care or had the idea they know everything. Well, the results speak for themselves. 

Meh, I could go on for pages why it is how it is, it's a complex issue, but as far as I'm concerned, for our group of peeps, it boils down to: a lot of players that value competition and good combat mechanics simply don't have fun with the new games. And even if you know what's wrong, say it to devs, well, somehow that which annoys us never gets fixed or added. 
    So if I understand what you're saying, you're part of a community that has shared values and since you're a group and have similar views, your collective assessment of the state of today's MMORPGs carries added weight because several of you share that opinion.

It's a common logical fallacy and there have been many examples throughout history of groups being dead certain (literally so in some cases) about some things even though they're wrong.

I for one just spent about 16 hours this past weekend PVPing in ESO and having a blast doing it. Luckily I'm not part of a jaded group too elite to enjoy that type of "lesser" entertainment. And yeah, I have been doing this in MMOs for about 17 years.
    The bandwagon fallacy aka argumentum ad populum.

Alternately, without resorting to comparisons of Heaven's Gate, the comment of @Beowulfsam could be viewed as a commentary on how that particular group of people he is with had changed over the years.

I've been in a guild since 2004, the kind that exists only in one game, and I am having a pretty good time with the PvP combat in Vendetta Online in that context (the game has been running for even longer).

Why can't you find a game? Maybe it's time to retrain your brain. <insert subliminal ads here>

Maybe, just maybe, games these days are shallow cashgrabs while games used to be experiments in innovation? Maybe there are many millions of gamers who used to love the old vision of what a virtual world could bring to the world of roleplaying MUDers and MMORPGers and now can't stand the genre due to it being so shallow not even your toes are covered in water. Maybe, just maybe all of you yelling for us to accept the current games, and/or play the oldgames that we used to like until the got patch-butchered to accommodate as many people at once as possible, and while doing so removed all the life out of the virtual world.

I would say to anyone who thinks there are good games out right now, please write a list of games released 2015-16 that you would consider masterpieces.

For me there has only been one game worth playing so far in 2016, that games name is TSW, they launched it as a MMO, but everyone ingame call it a coop, multiplayer with solo/singleplayer storyline.

Other than TSW my list would be something like...

age of wulin... ee öö blade and soul? oh and maybe lets say overwatch... cause come on, you know there are people calling it a mmo =P

Why are you limiting your search to games that have released in 15-16? Isn't the concept behind most MMORPGs to create a world that is constantly evolving? Why not look for masterpieces from the early 00's, or even the late 90's, that have evolved and endured to this day? Wouldn't these be more likely to provide an engaging experience given they have stood the test of time and carry history? Aren't you concerned that by looking only for a game released in the last two years you are simply being somewhat distracted by what's new and shiny? What about what has depth, longevity, and substance? Isn't that worth more?

Sorry for the long paragraph, and plethora of (pedantic) questions.

Anyway I reject that a masterpiece must be have been released in the last two years to be relevant. This is such an absurd requirement for an MMORPG that it hardly warrants a response.

That stated, I've found Massive Chalice, released in '15, to be a soulful experience (note you requested games, not MMORPGs which as I've stated above would be a rather absurd requirement given everything the genre is aimed toward). I'm 40 hours in and MC still hasn't lost its lustre. I'm sure others could increase the list, but my points stand:

There are games out there, some new, some old, some MMOs, some not, that may be considered masterpieces and are worth playing.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    ... People've been in plenty of alphas and varius testing, you would think that they listen to testers, well, mostly they did not. Biggest recent offenders were the Wildstar devs, they simply didn't care or had the idea they know everything. Well, the results speak for themselves. 

There's plenty of claims regarding games that "failed" because devs DIDN'T listen to testers.

There's even claims regarding games that "failed" because devs DID listen to testers (but the "wrong" ones) !

Interestingly enough though, there's no known example of a game that succeeded because the dev's "listened to the testers" and changed the game before release AFAIK.
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    edited August 2016
    Iselin said:

Alternately, without resorting to comparisons of Heaven's Gate, the comment of @Beowulfsam could be viewed as a commentary on how that particular group of people he is with had changed over the years.

I've been in a guild since 2004, the kind that exists only in one game, and I am having a pretty good time with the PvP combat in Vendetta Online in that context (the game has been running for even longer).

Why can't you find a game? Maybe it's time to retrain your brain. <insert subliminal ads here>

Maybe, just maybe, games these days are shallow cashgrabs while games used to be experiments in innovation? Maybe there are many millions of gamers who used to love the old vision of what a virtual world could bring to the world of roleplaying MUDers and MMORPGers and now can't stand the genre due to it being so shallow not even your toes are covered in water. Maybe, just maybe all of you yelling for us to accept the current games, and/or play the oldgames that we used to like until the got patch-butchered to accommodate as many people at once as possible, and while doing so removed all the life out of the virtual world.

I would say to anyone who thinks there are good games out right now, please write a list of games released 2015-16 that you would consider masterpieces.

For me there has only been one game worth playing so far in 2016, that games name is TSW, they launched it as a MMO, but everyone ingame call it a coop, multiplayer with solo/singleplayer storyline.

age of wulin... ee öö blade and soul? oh and maybe lets say overwatch... cause come on, you know there are people calling it a mmo =P

Why are you limiting your search to games that have released in 15-16? Isn't the concept behind most MMORPGs to create a world that is constantly evolving? Why not look for masterpieces from the early 00's, or even the late 90's, that have evolved and endured to this day? Wouldn't these be more likely to provide an engaging experience given they have stood the test of time and carry history? Aren't you concerned that by looking only for a game released in the last two years you are simply being somewhat distracted by what's new and shiny? What about what has depth, longevity, and substance? Isn't that worth more?

Anyway I reject that a masterpiece must be have been released in the last two years to be relevant. This is such an absurd requirement for an MMORPG that it hardly warrants a response.

That stated, I've found Massive Chalice, released in '15, to be a soulful experience (note you requested games, not MMORPGs which as I've stated above would be a rather absurd requirement given everything the genre is aimed toward). I'm 40 hours in and MC still hasn't lost its lustre. I'm sure others could increase the list, but my points stand:

There are games out there, some new, some old, some MMOs, some not, that may be considered masterpieces and are worth playing.

okay fine, throw 15-16 out the window, cause it was far from my main point.  give me a currently running mmo that you would consider a masterpiece.´I don't think TSw as I mentioned released 15-16 so I broke my own rule listing games, my rule was more a guideline so you would not say that I should go play , I dunno wow?

you say there are games out there, yet you do not name a single one.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I have struggled to find a new MMO home for years, I quit SW:TOR feb 2013 and haven't seriously played any others since. I've beta tested a few (eso, ff14) and gave wildstar a go when it went f2p, but none of them grabbed me. 

Thing is, the more you play, the more your experience grows and you learn both what you like and dislike. I don't think you should exclude games because it doesn't contain what you like, but you should definitely avoid things you know you dislike. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, in fact it makes perfect sense. The problem we have in the MMO genre is that so many games are very similar that if you dislike a common feature, it makes it very hard to find the right game. 

I distilled my preferences (and their inverses: my dislikes) into 4 things:

1. Deep combat system
    2. Objective-based, world pvp (e.g. keep battles)
    3. Horizontal progression at endgame
    4. Strong IP
    My experience has shown me that, within the MMO genre, these are the things that provide me with the most long-term enjoyment. Conversely, every MMO I've played that doesn't have these things I've ended up leaving. 

Without deep combat, the combat ends up being boring within a month so I leave quickly. 
    Without objective-based world pvp, it means I'm reduced to repeating endgame pve or repeating battlegrounds. I can keep going for a while on this sort of content, but repeating a small amount of content gets boring. 
    Without horizontal progression at endgame, communities get fragmented by the artificial barriers. this makes running a diverse guild hard as people at different gear levels can't really play together. Additionally, vertical progression encourages lazy pve design. 
    Finally, without a strong IP I just lose interest in the world in general. Whilst gameplay is king, you need to enjoy the world you're inhabiting. I can't tolerate generic fantasy or lazy design, particularly fantasy styles from the 80s. 

With the recent trend for action combat, I can't find deep combat systems anywhere. With the ever increasing graphical requirements, world pvp seems pretty dead. Horizontal progression at endgame is a concept most designers can't seem to understand, they'd rather stick with the same old gear treadmill. Strong IP, well, this is the only one where I might cave in if the features are strong enough (heres looking at you CU!). 
  • JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    I Just need more games like Archeage but there isnt.

Was Lineage 2 in the pass and Archeage atm. After Archeage all the other games look poor to me and far away from what a mmorpg should be.

Sadly alot of gamers dont want to play, just want the win feeling and if the game dont offer them that, they rage quit.
    Companys know that, so they make games where everyone feels that they are "winning" something and in the end is just another boring solo game in a online environment and no real interactions between players.

I want mmorpg where my actions interfere with someone else, in a good way or bad way will be my personal decision, same from the others to me. That make me feel the virutal world is alive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Iselin said:

okay fine, throw 15-16 out the window, cause it was far from my main point.  give me a currently running mmo that you would consider a masterpiece.´I don't think TSw as I mentioned released 15-16 so I broke my own rule listing games, my rule was more a guideline so you would not say that I should go play , I dunno wow?

The game in my signature is unequivocally a masterpiece. I think it has kept me occupied for more hours than all other video games combined.

That is my experience; go find your own.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:

You mentioned playing 16 hours of PVP in ESO, I am curious, what did you win? (or lose?)

Enjoyment. I mean, why else play any game?

No wonder you can only handle playing one game (and that probably just out of habit) if this is the sort of thing you would ask yourself about them.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited August 2016
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:

No wonder you can only handle playing one game (and that probably just out of habit) if this is the sort of thing you would ask yourself about them.

The games I favor are more about achieving a sense of lasting accomplishment rather than "for fun"

You measure what you win vs what you lose and hopefully come out on the plus side more often than not.

You are correct, there are damn few that qualify.

But plenty of titles for casual amusement.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:

The games I favor are more about achieving a sense of lasting accomplishment rather than "for fun"

near impossible if you also dont want to play early access games. With early access though there are a lot

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:

The need to justify having fun is strong with this one :)

And that, in a nutshell, is the difference between those of us who find this thread very much on point, those who feel a need to rail against it and especially those who @blueturtle13 was calling out.

Enjoyment of a game doesn't require a list of justifications. You either enjoy playing it or you don't. Everything else is just superfluous rationalizations.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Project 1999
    Everquest
    Asheron's Call
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Anarchy Online
    Ultima Online (even some private servers?)
    SWGEmu
    Everquest 2
    Project Gorgon
    Lineage II
    LOTRO
    FF XIV
    FFXI

The point is there are games out there to play you just do not want to play them. That is fine. No one said "Go play WOW" The point is if you can not find a game you like in a genre you like then step away and play other genres until something releases that does fit your taste. It really is that simple. 
    There are a few games in development right now that may be what you are looking for. Let the market mature and come back when they are ready.
    Cheers!  

You assume I don't want to play them, lets go through your list to see if that is accurate shall we;

Project 1999 - Played along time ago, its just not aged well.
    Everquest - Diden't like it when it came out, played it about a year, still don't like it.
    Asheron's Call -  Played during beta and some after launch back when it was released, its to slow.
    Dark Age of Camelot - Was nice in vanilla, did not age well, and
    Anarchy Online -  Started during beta played it for about 2 years.
    Ultima Online (even some private servers?) - Played UO on Europe shard for 4years, then on private vanilla server for about 2 more years.
    SWGEmu - Still play it sometimes.
    Everquest 2 - Its worse then EQ1, why anyone would play EQ2 is beyond me.
    Project Gorgon - hahaha
    Lineage II - I played for about 6 months, to grindy for me.
    LOTRO - Played a Bard from beta and about 6 months after launch.
    FF XIV - No
    FFXI - Ok, I'v wanted to get into this, tried it 4 or 5 times, I love FF lore, but something about the gameplay, just does not work with me.

Games you did not mention that I played massively;
    DCUO - 3years
    Age of Wulin - 2years
    Wow - 6years
    CoH - 1year
    Champions Online - 1year
    GW1  - 2years

And then all the ones I played that i wanted to like but never liked like SWTOR, GW2, ESO,TERRA the list goes on. If you think that I haven't really tried to find a new virtual home you would be wrong. To assume I have not given all these game a fair shake is also wrong.

If you ask me what game I would like to play I could make you a complete feature list including IP suggestions and lore. After 20years as a MMOgamer I know exactly what I want from my MMO's.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Jabas said:

Was Lineage 2 in the pass and Archeage atm. After Archeage all the other games look poor to me and far away from what a mmorpg should be.

Sadly alot of gamers dont want to play, just want the win feeling and if the game dont offer them that, they rage quit.
    Companys know that, so they make games where everyone feels that they are "winning" something and in the end is just another boring solo game in a online environment and no real interactions between players.

I want mmorpg where my actions interfere with someone else, in a good way or bad way will be my personal decision, same from the others to me. That make me feel the virutal world is alive.
    Why aren't you playing BDO?  If you liked Archeage, I can't think of a reason not to play BDO besides not having a good enough comp or needing a game to be p2w to play it.

Even Archeage-ultra-megafan DMKano is playing BDO.

As far as interfering with other players, happens all the time in BDO.  Today I was 3 man ganked.  My gear is finally good enough that I put up a good fight and killed one of them and it took them awhile to kill me.  I shit-talked them for taking so long to kill someone without potions.  I ran into them again and they killed me super quick in a CC chain, then shit-talked me about how it was really quick and they had no pots.  I raised up, pissed off, and killed 2 of them twice and the third ran away.  Was super fun.

Later on I had a node war with my guild and we held a tier 2 node.

If you like OWPVP, it just doesn't get any better than BDO.

Also, why aren't you playing Archeage?  If it's because the game is dead, maybe you should consider why the game is dead and re-evaluating your gaming priorities- maybe they aren't conducive to a successful game (i.e. p2w, horrible support, a zerging gank fest= Archeage).

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Jabas said:

Why aren't you playing BDO?  If you liked Archeage, I can't think of a reason not to play BDO besides not having a good enough comp or needing a game to be p2w to play it.

As far as interfering with other players, happens all the time in BDO.  Today I was 3 man ganked.  My gear is finally good enough that I put up a good fight and killed one of them and it took them awhile to kill me.  I shit-talked them for taking so long to kill someone without potions.  I ran into them again and they killed me super quick in a CC chain, then shit-talked me about how it was really quick and they had no pots.  I raised up, pissed off, and killed 2 of them twice and the third ran away.  Was super fun.

Also, why aren't you playing Archeage?  If it's because the game is dead, maybe you should consider why the game is dead and re-evaluating your gaming priorities- maybe they aren't conducive to a successful game (i.e. p2w, horrible support, a zerging gank fest= Archeage).
    Agreed. BDO is a really under-rated game by todays MMO crowd in my opinion. I enjoy my time with the game and I only play it casually. I know many who play hardcore and still love the game as much as when it was released. The game is not set up to 'win' like most players in the genre do not like. It is a virtual world game. It provides what many people say they want if they would give it a chance. (Not just a quick beta play)
    Beats me, man.  I think it's either people just believing random youtube negative reviews or if they have given the game a chance, having unreasonable expectations.

I could see someone not liking the game if they require an MMO to be a dungeon crawler, because there are no dungeons in BDO, but other than that I just don't get it.

Oh yeah I forgot another way someone interfered with me today.  There was a call in guild that a world boss was spawning, so I was racing there on my horse.  On the way, someone from the guild that 3-man ganked me earlier stunned my horse, slowing my progress to the world boss.  I had to laugh.  I didn't even know you could stun horses until then.
    So if my math is right here you have played over 25 years of MMO time.  So today you can't find a game.
    Makes sense. You have played about everything and perhaps it is time to step away for awhile and allow the market to finish producing the type of game you are looking for. You have hopped around to many a game over the years and the market does not bare the fruit you are looking to consume.
    With so many other genres out there to play perhaps you have missed a few to play until something is released that you like =) Cheers and good luck! 
    I do try to stay informed on what other genres are producing, latest single player games I'v played include, Life is strange, the vanishing of ethan carter, dreamfall chapters and the park. all good games. I also play pokemongo and ingress, aswell as some mobile mmo's like age of wushu dynasty among others.

I have no problem finding games to spend my time on, or even enjoy, what I do miss though, is a virtual home. I tried BDO, thought I was gonna like it but the IP and lore are very weak, and that makes it hard for me to get into the game cause my brain and game can not agree on in what fantasy this game is being played in.. it feels very conflicted and disjointed. 
  • VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Project 1999
    Everquest
    Asheron's Call
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Anarchy Online
    Ultima Online (even some private servers?)
    SWGEmu
    Everquest 2
    Project Gorgon
    Lineage II
    LOTRO
    FF XIV
    FFXI
    Tell me you're not that ignorant as to think all these "old games" you listed are anything like what they once were.  With the exception of P1999, FF XIV (only a couple of years old), and Project Gorgon (a work in progress), none of the above is the same experience it once was.  What?  No mention of Wurm?

Players who "just don't get" what many "old schoolers" are talking about see one, maybe two features (tab targeting, difficult combat, hurtful death penalty, bad animations) and think, "Hey!  Old School!"  It is not any ONE features, but how many of them fit together.  "Wild Star has old school mechanics!"  Yea, with telegraphing attacks.  Never saw that in EQ.  It is so easy to hold up one (or in your case 13) game and say, "Go.  Play.  Enjoy."  Yet you just don't understand...

VG

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited August 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Jabas said:

Seems i didnt explain myself.

Im still playing Archeage and still enjoy the game. No, im not a p2w player, i use my CC only to pay the monthly fee since day 1.
    Im a casual gamer, around 20h per week, so i will allways be behind alot of other players, be p2w ones or ppl that play 14h a day.

There are a few things i like on Archeage but the naval part is the biggest point to me, love it since i started and didnt get bored yet. I play as a Pirate in a small group, our main objective is steal everthing we can, and bealive me is not because of the value of packs, its because the unexpected pvp situations, some of them really fun. 

But, even for me AA is the best mmorpg on the market, im aware about all the flaws and negative points, so from time to time i keep checking the market hoping something better come out, because AA could be better, alot better.

About BDO, have friends playing and we talk about it, they keep explain me the game and whats going on there, nothing untill now pull me in. Im sure its a great game, will wait for the naval part and see how it goes but for now i dont see any reason to change, maybe in a close future, who knows.

Anyway, my inicial opinion is about mmorpg current market in a overall picture, im not really looking for a game, im a happy gamer, i just use Archeage as a example because its what i like and current playing.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Jabas said:
    Jabas said:

Seems i didnt explain myself.

Im still playing Archeage and still enjoy the game. No, im not a p2w player, i use my CC only to pay the monthly fee since day 1.
    Im a casual gamer, around 20h per week, so i will allways be behind alot of other players, be p2w ones or ppl that play 14h a day.

There are a few things i like on Archeage but the naval part is the biggest point to me, love it since i started and didnt get bored yet. I play as a Pirate in a small group, our main objective is steal everthing we can, and bealive me is not because of the value of packs, its because the unexpected pvp situations, some of them really fun. 

But, even for me AA is the best mmorpg on the market, im aware about all the flaws and negative points, so from time to time i keep checking the market hoping something better come out, because AA could be better, alot better.

About BDO, have friends playing and we talk about it, they keep explain me the game and whats going on there, nothing untill now pull me in. Im sure its a great game, will wait for the naval part and see how it goes but for now i dont see any reason to change, maybe in a close future, who knows.

Anyway, my inicial opinion is about mmorpg current market in a overall picture, im not really looking for a game, im a happy gamer, i just use Archeage as a example because its what i like and current playing.

Ah I see.  Yeah I can imagine playing as a pirate with a band of friends would be a lot of fun and you can't really have the same experience in BDO.  The sea stuff was really well done in Archeage, I'll give you that.

I did like the pirate aspect of the game.  It was REALLY painful to become a pirate though, when I played (for the first few months after release).  I'm not sure if pirates were given more, but I'd imagine you'd have to still be a pirate mostly just for the fun of it, if it's anything like when I played.  It was MUCH easier to progress if you were a regular player.  Becoming a pirate was very much a punitive thing.

I would definitely be up for a pirate type thing in BDO, but basically there are guilds that just act like pirates (the killing part at least, as you can't steal in BDO).  Basically they just flag up at spawn sights and push people around (like that guild tried to do to me).

I do agree unexpected PVP situations in OWPVP are great.  I liked them even in WoW when they were totally meaningless.

Well, I'm glad you're still enjoying the game.  It's not really argumentative against the OP though, since the way you play Archeage is just yet another example of fun to be had in current MMOs.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Mmos for me are a lot like supper. My mom used to put a plate of food in front of me. I could eat it or go hungry. I learned to like her cooking (not always easy).

Much later, when I became an adult, I began to eat supper based on my very particular likes and dislikes. And as my list of dislikes grew, so did the number of places where I no longer wished to eat. 

You eventually end up chomping on Cheetos while sipping a diet Sprite, wondering why there are no good restaurants anywhere. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests