Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's with the AdBlock Notice?

Comments

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Reizla said:
    I've had to ditch FireFox in favor of Opera for sites like this. MMORPG.com is the winner when it comes to the amount of (Flash) ads dumping on the screen that FireFox chokes on it and crashes every couple of minutes. Opera has less issues with it, but still chokes on the site from time to time.

I still see ads on my screen that slip through the (Opera) adblocker (with 15 ads blocked), so why annoy me with BS like this? You still get your ad income!

...or do you want to annoy us with that 10 second pop up to death so that we leave the site all together..? It's not that MMORPG.com is a good source for MMO news lately...

see... look at the screenshot i posted, your adblocker is causing more ads than the default layout.
    waynejr2 said:
    Asm0deus said:
    filmoret said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Wizardry said:
    ....snip.....

Problem is the term "ADBLOCKER" makes it sound like users are blocking ads,that is 100% FALSE,it is merely blocking "cookies/trackers/beacons" which are deceptive forms of spying.
    Users will still see the ads,they will still click the click baits and take part in the content which is like 90% advertising content anyhow.

Also whoever said antivirus and adblockers do nothing cause he hasn't ever had a problem without either.... I have to say you must not surf the web much.

Noting I said I was using the internet since the 90's.  This adblock stuff is a scam to make you feel like you are safe and secure.  Its just a bunch of bullcrap.  Sure if you allow something to install on your computer then thats your own fault.  Even elicit websites like piratebay, kickass which has the worse ads ever created won't do anything to your computer if you don't press the yes install button.  So keep believing that those ads are harming you somehow if that helps you sleep at night but its just plain wrong.  I am not running any kind of ad blocker and All I see right now is the banner at the bottom.  There's absolutely no reason to block ads from mmorpg.com.  So on this page there's 3 banners at the top and one at the bottom.  Not bad for like 10 pages of scrolling.  
    If you have been surfing since the 90's as you say you very well know there are sites that pop up a bunch of ads and other junk that is very dangerous to try and close as sometimes even the "x" is something you don't want to touch. Having an antivirus, adblocker and something like spybot has saved me from infections quite a few times and not because I clicked install on some random pop up either.

Sorry but your idea that no A/V etc is just as safe as having one is ludicrous, you should shush up until you surf more than in the nice safe well known commercial seaside resorts and have went into deep waters and have a clue what you are talking about.

It was only the 90's, kind of a noob to me.  me->symbolics.com. :D    In any case, security is about layers to be in depth.  Anyone who has had to go through NSA Grade Security Audits for Solaris O/S would know about these things.
    i'm aware that security is layers, but that doesn't change the fact that 99.9% of people will never use Solaris or have to deal with NSA grade security and that most home PC users will never get infected with malicious files unless they were really doing something wrong lol
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    mbrodie said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Asm0deus said:
    filmoret said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Wizardry said:
    ....snip.....

Problem is the term "ADBLOCKER" makes it sound like users are blocking ads,that is 100% FALSE,it is merely blocking "cookies/trackers/beacons" which are deceptive forms of spying.
    Users will still see the ads,they will still click the click baits and take part in the content which is like 90% advertising content anyhow.

Also whoever said antivirus and adblockers do nothing cause he hasn't ever had a problem without either.... I have to say you must not surf the web much.

Noting I said I was using the internet since the 90's.  This adblock stuff is a scam to make you feel like you are safe and secure.  Its just a bunch of bullcrap.  Sure if you allow something to install on your computer then thats your own fault.  Even elicit websites like piratebay, kickass which has the worse ads ever created won't do anything to your computer if you don't press the yes install button.  So keep believing that those ads are harming you somehow if that helps you sleep at night but its just plain wrong.  I am not running any kind of ad blocker and All I see right now is the banner at the bottom.  There's absolutely no reason to block ads from mmorpg.com.  So on this page there's 3 banners at the top and one at the bottom.  Not bad for like 10 pages of scrolling.  
    If you have been surfing since the 90's as you say you very well know there are sites that pop up a bunch of ads and other junk that is very dangerous to try and close as sometimes even the "x" is something you don't want to touch. Having an antivirus, adblocker and something like spybot has saved me from infections quite a few times and not because I clicked install on some random pop up either.

Sorry but your idea that no A/V etc is just as safe as having one is ludicrous, you should shush up until you surf more than in the nice safe well known commercial seaside resorts and have went into deep waters and have a clue what you are talking about.

It was only the 90's, kind of a noob to me.  me->symbolics.com. :D    In any case, security is about layers to be in depth.  Anyone who has had to go through NSA Grade Security Audits for Solaris O/S would know about these things.
    i'm aware that security is layers, but that doesn't change the fact that 99.9% of people will never use Solaris or have to deal with NSA grade security and that most home PC users will never get infected with malicious files unless they were really doing something wrong lol

Depends on what you mean by doing something wrong.  Visiting sketchy websites is a risk.  Getting malware from an ad on mmorpg.com shouldn't be a big risk.  It has happened here before.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:
    mbrodie said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Asm0deus said:
    filmoret said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Wizardry said:
    ....snip.....

Depends on what you mean by doing something wrong.  Visiting sketchy websites is a risk.  Getting malware from an ad on mmorpg.com shouldn't be a big risk.  It has happened here before.
    i mean i've personally been a member here for like 12 years, and i don't even remember that one incident, not saying it didn't happen but i obviously at least wasn't affected by it and it's a crappy situation for anyone that was... that being said one incident in 12 years is pretty good odds by my count ;)
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    One incident that you know of .. How many went unnoticed by people.  Ad serving networks get infected all the time with viruses. Sometimes that can go for who knows how long before it gets caught. They try and catch any ads before it makes it onto the network. But at the end of the day its people that approve or disapprove a ad on these networks. People DO make mistakes all the dam time. Why take that chance when there is other options? I would much rather toss mmorpg $3 / month for a ad free experience to not take that chance and have a MUCH cleaner looking site know that my money was going into there pockets because I value there product. Not because some ad network MAY pay them X amount of times I visit the site or click a ad.
    One incident that you know of .. How many went unnoticed by people.  Ad serving networks get infected all the time with viruses. Sometimes that can go for who knows how long before it gets caught. They try and catch any ads before it makes it onto the network. But at the end of the day its people that approve or disapprove a ad on these networks. People DO make mistakes all the dam time. Why take that chance when there is other options? I would much rather toss mmorpg $3 / month for a ad free experience to not take that chance and have a MUCH cleaner looking site know that my money was going into there pockets because I value there product. Not because some ad network MAY pay them X amount of times I visit the site or click a ad.
    except i'd consider the site quite boring without the paid banner at the top.. i like the look of it
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    mbrodie said:
    Reizla said:
    I've had to ditch FireFox in favor of Opera for sites like this. MMORPG.com is the winner when it comes to the amount of (Flash) ads dumping on the screen that FireFox chokes on it and crashes every couple of minutes. Opera has less issues with it, but still chokes on the site from time to time.

I still see ads on my screen that slip through the (Opera) adblocker (with 15 ads blocked), so why annoy me with BS like this? You still get your ad income!

...or do you want to annoy us with that 10 second pop up to death so that we leave the site all together..? It's not that MMORPG.com is a good source for MMO news lately...

see... look at the screenshot i posted, your adblocker is causing more ads than the default layout.
    ...at least these ads are not scripted...
  • LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
    I use adblock but I also have it permanently disabled for certain sites like this one. You can change it in settings. There ARE sites out there filled with so much ad crap that you can't even enjoy the content. THIS isn't one of them sites thankfully.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited August 2016
    Quazal.A said:
    for record i run adblocker plus and i dont get a pop up, but then again i see the ads (only thing is wonder if i set this site to ok eons ago)
    I set mine to allow the ads on this site a long time ago. I don't even really notice them these days.

Yet... all these people getting all huffy because a picture of a game is being shown in some small section of their screen... LOL  O.o

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288
    edited August 2016
    If the message starts to get annoying I'll probably just stop visiting this website. I can already see some of your adverts like the background and the Animal Jam crap anyway. 

Maybe I will just block the stupid popup itself if I could be bothered.

3rd party advert networks cannot be trusted full stop, sorry. 

Edit: blocked it and all of the other ads I used to see, fuck you.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    RIG4RED said:
    RIG4RED said:

I don't have a problem if MMORPG starts blocking those people that do though.

Actually, it IS how this works.

If all sites are starting to feel the financial pinch from adblockers, more and more will start blocking the blockers.

That will result in the remaining "free" sites getting a huge increase in page views.
    Good, yes ?

Nope, those other sites will close down soon after, because massive page views are worthless when advertisers know all your users are blocking ads....

You realize there are anti-blocker blockers which hide the presence of any installed adblocker right? I'm using one, this site doe not have the logic to circumvent my adblocker.
    You are not a typical internet user, so your experience does not reflect "how things work" on the internet at large.

The average internet user is not obsessive enough to use anti-anti-anti-blocker software. Thank goodness for that.

There will always be an arms race between those that make their living from serving ads and those that make their living from blocking them. 

As long as the advertisers feel that their message is getting through, they will continue to pay for the privilege of placing ads. If they feel that nobody sees their ads due to effective ad blocking, the ad revenue will go elsewhere.

Ad revenue is the grease that keeps site access free of subscription charges. I'm old enough to remember the days when the internet was not F2P. I'd hate to go back to those times, but it seems we are slowly drifting in that direction.
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    why would i whitelist a site that has ads filled with maleware?

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    jircris said:
    You have a citation for that or are you just talking out of your ass?
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited August 2016
    jircris said:
    Maleware? The site is full of men's clothing and accessories? >: D

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Nanfoodle said:
    Awesome, free service has people that do this as full time jobs for our enjoyment. Time to pony up and support them. If you dont see that I feel bad for you. Life is not free. Keep up the great work mmorpg.com staff.
    To be fair though, the vast majority of people come here for the user created content (forum).
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    scorpex-x said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Awesome, free service has people that do this as full time jobs for our enjoyment. Time to pony up and support them. If you dont see that I feel bad for you. Life is not free. Keep up the great work mmorpg.com staff.
    To be fair though, the vast majority of people come here for the user created content (forum).
    And that forum is free to keep up and running?
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Admin said:
    Our only income source is ad revenue so this is a big impact to us.  
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but that's a straight up lie?
    You have posted "sponsored" content on numerous occasions?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Nitth said:
    Admin said:
    Our only income source is ad revenue so this is a big impact to us.  
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but that's a straight up lie?
    You have posted "sponsored" content on numerous occasions?
    A form of ad revenue. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• VOIDsamaVOIDsama Member UncommonPosts: 2
    As long as the adds are unobtrusive, and dont play sound, im ok with them.  so often though there are pages where there are so many adds, its hard to find the content among them.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I have all scripts enabled with no script for this site but ads still don't show up... so idk.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I'm still getting the adblock notice while having this site as whitelisted.

I'm using Adguard Adblocker.

I generally use adblocker on this site mostly due to the animated/flashy ads but I'll try and keep it whitelisted for a bit and see what ads show up. Even with it enabled I had other clickable ads showing anyway. Just like the ones Reizla has.

i love it when someone uses a buzzword like popup or script and everyone jumps onto the bandwagon

just to clarify for some users whom seem to be ignorant deliberate or otherwise.

A popup is when the site creates a new tab or window in your browser to display advertising content. this site does not employ any popups, there is placed advertisements, but they are statically placed and do not "popup"
  • BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    I understand the need of the site to have some revenue, so I will turn off my add-blocker for now.
    Just to try it out, for a little while.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Lol, I know where the ads are supposed to be and they're just black spots.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Asm0deus said:
    filmoret said:
    ...snip...
    The program makes you believe it saved you.  If you see something you cannot get rid of then alt-f4 and when it pops up too fast for that you have to ctrl-alt-del then close it through task manager.  So long as you don't give it permission to make changes to the computer then it will not make any changes.  You realize those programs have to make the user feel like it is actually doing something.  The programs are more dangerous then the ads in a lot of cases.  You will sift through 10 bad ad blocking software before you can find 1 good one.  And then you aren't sure it is even working or just feeding you a bunch of bologna.
    Now your truly showing your ignorance or just being disingenuous.  Sure there are plenty of junk adblockers just as there are plenty of junk programs floating around.  Like anything you need to do some research before installing anything.

To use that as some kind of twisted proof that your safer not to use any kind of A/V or blocker etc etc is well saying condoms don't work because one moron had his in his wallet for 2 years and then was surprised it leaked or was no longer good when he finally pulled it out of his back pocket and used it but the lady still got with child....LOL

Methinks you installed one too many "we have detected bla bla problems, install PC Repair XYZ" tune up  and now think all AV, blockers and the like are the same...lmao

Please stop typing so much nonsense.
    I have to ask, you're one of those people who use a paper towel to open a bathroom door handle or hand sanitizer after pressing elevator buttons, right? ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

This discussion has been closed.