Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's with the AdBlock Notice?

Comments

• RIG4REDRIG4RED Member UncommonPosts: 58
    RIG4RED said:

I don't have a problem if MMORPG starts blocking those people that do though.

Actually, it IS how this works.

If all sites are starting to feel the financial pinch from adblockers, more and more will start blocking the blockers.

That will result in the remaining "free" sites getting a huge increase in page views.
    Good, yes ?

Nope, those other sites will close down soon after, because massive page views are worthless when advertisers know all your users are blocking ads....

You realize there are anti-blocker blockers which hide the presence of any installed adblocker right? I'm using one, this site doe not have the logic to circumvent my adblocker.
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    I don't use Adblock but I have been considering it. I live in Chicago and Comcast is using us as a beta to see how people react to data caps. They are giving me 1 terabyte, which is more than enough, for now but I imagine if enough people don't cancel their account this will slim down significantly over the next couple years. Getting rid of ads is going to end up a priority for me at some point. I wouldn't mind a monthly/yearly cost to get rid of them on the site. 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Asm0deus said:
    filmoret said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Wizardry said:
    ....snip.....

Problem is the term "ADBLOCKER" makes it sound like users are blocking ads,that is 100% FALSE,it is merely blocking "cookies/trackers/beacons" which are deceptive forms of spying.
    Users will still see the ads,they will still click the click baits and take part in the content which is like 90% advertising content anyhow.

Also whoever said antivirus and adblockers do nothing cause he hasn't ever had a problem without either.... I have to say you must not surf the web much.

Noting I said I was using the internet since the 90's.  This adblock stuff is a scam to make you feel like you are safe and secure.  Its just a bunch of bullcrap.  Sure if you allow something to install on your computer then thats your own fault.  Even elicit websites like piratebay, kickass which has the worse ads ever created won't do anything to your computer if you don't press the yes install button.  So keep believing that those ads are harming you somehow if that helps you sleep at night but its just plain wrong.  I am not running any kind of ad blocker and All I see right now is the banner at the bottom.  There's absolutely no reason to block ads from mmorpg.com.  So on this page there's 3 banners at the top and one at the bottom.  Not bad for like 10 pages of scrolling.  
    If you have been surfing since the 90's as you say you very well know there are sites that pop up a bunch of ads and other junk that is very dangerous to try and close as sometimes even the "x" is something you don't want to touch. Having an antivirus, adblocker and something like spybot has saved me from infections quite a few times and not because I clicked install on some random pop up either.

Sorry but your idea that no A/V etc is just as safe as having one is ludicrous, you should shush up until you surf more than in the nice safe well known commercial seaside resorts and have went into deep waters and have a clue what you are talking about.
    The program makes you believe it saved you.  If you see something you cannot get rid of then alt-f4 and when it pops up too fast for that you have to ctrl-alt-del then close it through task manager.  So long as you don't give it permission to make changes to the computer then it will not make any changes.  You realize those programs have to make the user feel like it is actually doing something.  The programs are more dangerous then the ads in a lot of cases.  You will sift through 10 bad ad blocking software before you can find 1 good one.  And then you aren't sure it is even working or just feeding you a bunch of bologna.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116
    How many people actually use the site for the articles?

I rarely read an article, typically just check out the forums. 

Distopia said:
    observer said:
    filmoret said:
    LOL at the stubborn responses.  OMG they are spying on us.  They are trying to get us.  They are after me...  My computer is compromised.  OH noes....
    You shouldn't be so dismissive of other people's concerns.  It makes you look like a condescending jackass.  People have every right to be concerned about their privacy being invaded.  As someone mentioned above, there's also beacons, trackers, and even malware, in some of these ads.  That whole industry has proven that it's not responsible when it come's to people's privacy.
    No matter how you slice it, you either deal with adds or deal with the pop up, which the latter takes what? two seconds to remedy? If you want it free, take it how it's served.
    Or people simply leave and take their traffic to a more respectful website. As many including myself already mentioned, even with adblocks we get 8-11 adds on the website alone. Now they want us to let our guard down. Through very disrespectful means.

Nope. Its staying up.
    There's like 4-5 ads on each page.  So your ad blocker is actually feeding you ads.  How is that for security?  They are probably the ads from the adblocking scamming software you are using.  You should never see more then 5 ads in MMORPG.com.  I know because I never do and I"m not using any blocking software.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    edited August 2016
    filmoret said:
    Asm0deus said:
    filmoret said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Wizardry said:
    ....snip.....

Problem is the term "ADBLOCKER" makes it sound like users are blocking ads,that is 100% FALSE,it is merely blocking "cookies/trackers/beacons" which are deceptive forms of spying.
    Users will still see the ads,they will still click the click baits and take part in the content which is like 90% advertising content anyhow.

Also whoever said antivirus and adblockers do nothing cause he hasn't ever had a problem without either.... I have to say you must not surf the web much.

Noting I said I was using the internet since the 90's.  This adblock stuff is a scam to make you feel like you are safe and secure.  Its just a bunch of bullcrap.  Sure if you allow something to install on your computer then thats your own fault.  Even elicit websites like piratebay, kickass which has the worse ads ever created won't do anything to your computer if you don't press the yes install button.  So keep believing that those ads are harming you somehow if that helps you sleep at night but its just plain wrong.  I am not running any kind of ad blocker and All I see right now is the banner at the bottom.  There's absolutely no reason to block ads from mmorpg.com.  So on this page there's 3 banners at the top and one at the bottom.  Not bad for like 10 pages of scrolling.  
    If you have been surfing since the 90's as you say you very well know there are sites that pop up a bunch of ads and other junk that is very dangerous to try and close as sometimes even the "x" is something you don't want to touch. Having an antivirus, adblocker and something like spybot has saved me from infections quite a few times and not because I clicked install on some random pop up either.

Sorry but your idea that no A/V etc is just as safe as having one is ludicrous, you should shush up until you surf more than in the nice safe well known commercial seaside resorts and have went into deep waters and have a clue what you are talking about.
    The program makes you believe it saved you.  If you see something you cannot get rid of then alt-f4 and when it pops up too fast for that you have to ctrl-alt-del then close it through task manager.  So long as you don't give it permission to make changes to the computer then it will not make any changes.  You realize those programs have to make the user feel like it is actually doing something.  The programs are more dangerous then the ads in a lot of cases.  You will sift through 10 bad ad blocking software before you can find 1 good one.  And then you aren't sure it is even working or just feeding you a bunch of bologna.

The metric for a good ad-blocker is whether or not it blocks ads. It's pretty easy to tell whether you have a "good" one or not. You can even examine the source code and various documentation for them! The answer to potentially malicious ads is to ALT-F4 or CTRL-ALT-DELETE and manually stop the process. Your IT knowledge is rivaled only by that of a highschooler working a summer job at Best Buy. 
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    I personally won't turn off the adblocker in remembrance of your CEO calling us pirates 2 years back and never having the guts to apologize to us. 
    I remember this as well, though he didn't call us pirates. He called us thieves. Funny thing is, before he had to open his mouth I'd actually whitelisted this site. After that, adblock went right back on. 

Maybe when the site actually starts listening to people and stops running ads which look like something from a hentai website, people will turn their adblockers off. Know what won't make people do that? Throwing a popup even more annoying than most of the ads in people's faces. The only thing that will do is make folks stop coming here, period. To believe otherwise is, to be blunt, incredibly naive and stupid. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I forgot I even had adblock enabled on the site, as there are so many ads in spite of it.  Three ads at the top, four on the side, three at the bottom, plus the all encompassing background ad... I thought adblock was off.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited August 2016
    filmoret said:
    ...snip...
    Now your truly showing your ignorance or just being disingenuous.  Sure there are plenty of junk adblockers just as there are plenty of junk programs floating around.  Like anything you need to do some research before installing anything.

To use that as some kind of twisted proof that your safer not to use any kind of A/V or blocker etc etc is well saying condoms don't work because one moron had his in his wallet for 2 years and then was surprised it leaked or was no longer good when he finally pulled it out of his back pocket and used it but the lady still got with child....LOL

Methinks you installed one too many "we have detected bla bla problems, install PC Repair XYZ" tune up  and now think all AV, blockers and the like are the same...lmao

Please stop typing so much nonsense.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited August 2016

Nope. Its staying up.....-------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun waiting 10 seconds until you can close then? bugged...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    SBFord said:
    waynejr2 said:

What alternate websites do you suggest?  Anyone else want to list site go ahead!
    Thanks for your support. Google will work for that. Must we be insulted on our own site? For Pete's sake.

The hard fact of the matter is that the tiny staff of this site is paid by the revenue it generates, NOT, by the way, by game companies as my bank account can attest. Without revenue, no more staff and no more site and it's one less independent niche site down the tubes as the homogenization and "Walmart-i-fication" of the Internet continues. Welcome to the American Strip Mall of Sameness.

I'm saddened to see some long time site members threatening to leave, to refuse to support a place they've enjoyed without issue for years simply for asking to help us keep afloat. 

I'd warrant many of you would feel differently if YOUR livelihood were being threatened.

Score one for the corporate machines.
    Your livelihood is being threatened and you have to put a poll up to ad a 2.99 membership and don't have a donate button, while pushing people away with both the ads you run and the measures to run them.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Howry said:
    How many people actually use the site for the articles?

I rarely read an article, typically just check out the forums. 

That's mostly what I do, too.  They do have some good reviews here, though, as they'll take a few weeks to play a game rather than rushing to have a review up on launch day.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Have you heard of Patreon? It's what a lot of youtubers use to generate ad-free revenue.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Aori said:
    filmoret said:
    I could understand if they had shitty or intrusive ads but they do not they are kinda just sitting in the corner not bothering anyone.
    Their ads are full of malicious scripts.
    what malicious scripts... i've never once had this site crash my browser, computer, or infect it with anything malicious.. and i leave it open for days at a time in my chrome tabs...

i don't use adblocker, never have don't see the point, this site doesn't make any popups it has a few targetted marketing adds and generally a paid banner up top.. none of which are intrusive or anything they are just kinda there and half the time i barely even notice them.
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    I personally won't turn off the adblocker in remembrance of your CEO calling us pirates 2 years back and never having the guts to apologize to us. 
    I remember this as well, though he didn't call us pirates. He called us thieves. Funny thing is, before he had to open his mouth I'd actually whitelisted this site. After that, adblock went right back on. 

Maybe when the site actually starts listening to people and stops running ads which look like something from a hentai website, people will turn their adblockers off. Know what won't make people do that? Throwing a popup even more annoying than most of the ads in people's faces. The only thing that will do is make folks stop coming here, period. To believe otherwise is, to be blunt, incredibly naive and stupid. 

The whole all encompassing blanket statement thieves thing is actually why I installed an ad blocker in the first place. Strictly on principle. Even Forbes, CNN, and CBS Sports couldn't get me assed enough to do it before then. I whitelisted the site a couple times since and wondered why I ever dealt with most of the ads in the first place. Principled, yet lazy I suppose.

As far as the site, honestly, if you want to continue with it being your livelihood you should also look within. Most of the articles are links to articles from other sites. The ones that aren't don't really grab the reader or compel one to use this as a primary news source. There's no news that was originally broke from here. Even for MMORPGs. The site isn't really niche any more as it covers about as much news regarding general gaming as it does MMORPGs. The writing style is cut and dry. Rarely any humor, sarcasm, wit, or anything that would compel one to read articles here over anywhere else, especially if somewhere else is the original source. I honestly thought this was more of a part time MMO/Gaming news aggregate site, done for the love of it, than a primary source of income for anyone. The only time I really read any articles is when the latest posts lists has posts about them and I don't want to follow a conversation that I'm uninformed about. I won't touch on the claims of bias as anyone who reads something that doesn't agree with their own thoughts or opinions can see or claim bias.

The only real reason I come here at all is for the forums. Even on them there is a sense of bias in the moderation between yeas and nays on games. Not enough to really bother, but I've completely dropped out of threads when I've seen it or had it happen to me. Especially since there is nothing there aside from [mod edit]. No note on which moderator or why. No PM explaining why it was done. Just [mod edit]. Even ignoring that, the forums alone aren't enough to draw me personally to continue to come here and be called a thief if I have to pay for them or go through attempts to guilt me into unblocking ads to read or comment on news I can, and usually do, get from the original source.  

TL;DR: you get what you give.

I still will wish you luck however this whole thing shakes out. You might end up a very niche site again in the end after all.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited August 2016
    mbrodie said:
    Aori said:
    filmoret said:
    I could understand if they had shitty or intrusive ads but they do not they are kinda just sitting in the corner not bothering anyone.
    what malicious scripts... i've never once had this site crash my browser, computer, or infect it with anything malicious.. and i leave it open for days at a time in my chrome tabs...

i don't use adblocker, never have don't see the point, this site doesn't make any popups it has a few targetted marketing adds and generally a paid banner up top.. none of which are intrusive or anything they are just kinda there and half the time i barely even notice them.
    The only anomaly I have seen was a redirect ad which occurred one time which i reported and they were quick to address. , nothing malicious came from it, I've been here for years while having them listed as an exception in opera's ad-blocker. People are taking a slight probability and blowing it up into a full blown excuse to whine about a few extra seconds added to their wait to enter the site. That's the part that is silly about this. As if it's such a hassle to wait to hit continue. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

filmoret said:
    Asm0deus said:
    filmoret said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Wizardry said:
    ....snip.....

The metric for a good ad-blocker is whether or not it blocks ads. It's pretty easy to tell whether you have a "good" one or not. You can even examine the source code and various documentation for them! The answer to potentially malicious ads is to ALT-F4 or CTRL-ALT-DELETE and manually stop the process. Your IT knowledge is rivaled only by that of a highschooler working a summer job at Best Buy. 
    Well like I said and will continue to say.  I been using the internet since 1995 and I have never had a problem.  So you can continue to do all the extra stuff to make you feel safe and I'll just continue to use the internet without fear like I have been for the past 20 years.  You trying to say its dangerous but I've never had a problem so I guess its not that dangerous.  And I have literally a few thousand hours of internet use.
    Distopia said:
    mbrodie said:
    Aori said:
    filmoret said:

The only anomaly I have seen was a redirect ad which occurred one time which i reported and they were quick to address. , nothing malicious came from it, I've been here for years while having them listed as an exception in opera's ad-blocker. People are taking a slight probability and blowing it up into a full blown excuse to whine about a few extra seconds added to their wait to enter the site. That's the part that is silly about this. As if it's such a hassle to wait to hit continue. 
    That redirect thing happened because of a misplaced hitbox.  I know it happened for a few days because of when they tried to convert to the new website.  They usually get it fixed and they did.
    I'm gonna stop with this.  Since its so dangerous out there and I never use adblocker then why don't I have a bunch of computer problems?  I mean shouldn't I have unknown charges on my bank account?  Shouldn't my stock be compromised or my email?  If its so dangerous then why is my computer perfectly free of any kind of malware?  Why do all the computers in my house work perfectly fine and without any spyware?  According to a lot of people right now my computers should be all messed up but they aren't.
    Distopia said:
    observer said:
    filmoret said:
    LOL at the stubborn responses.  OMG they are spying on us.  They are trying to get us.  They are after me...  My computer is compromised.  OH noes....
    You shouldn't be so dismissive of other people's concerns.  It makes you look like a condescending jackass.  People have every right to be concerned about their privacy being invaded.  As someone mentioned above, there's also beacons, trackers, and even malware, in some of these ads.  That whole industry has proven that it's not responsible when it come's to people's privacy.
    No matter how you slice it, you either deal with adds or deal with the pop up, which the latter takes what? two seconds to remedy? If you want it free, take it how it's served.
    Or people simply leave and take their traffic to a more respectful website. As many including myself already mentioned, even with adblocks we get 8-11 adds on the website alone. Now they want us to let our guard down. Through very disrespectful means.

Nope. Its staying up.
    i literally have 4 max that i can see right now, i don't now where you're getting 11 from...

one at the bottom of the thread near the editor for replies
    the sponsor banner for riders of icarus
    the one next to the mmorpg logo
    and one to the right right under the mmo's and games to play list...

4 i can see right now.
    just to make another point

The main mmorpg.com front page

where are the 6000 popup ads you are all complaining about, i literally see 1 sponsored final fantasy banner, 1 other final fantasy ad next to the mmorpg.com logo, another final fantasy add to the right and one league of angels ad just kinda mushed in there

thats once again only 4 ads on the site.
    filmoret said:
    I'm gonna stop with this.  Since its so dangerous out there and I never use adblocker then why don't I have a bunch of computer problems?  I mean shouldn't I have unknown charges on my bank account?  Shouldn't my stock be compromised or my email?  If its so dangerous then why is my computer perfectly free of any kind of malware?  Why do all the computers in my house work perfectly fine and without any spyware?  According to a lot of people right now my computers should be all messed up but they aren't.
    this, i've also been using the internet since like the mid to late 90's and never once had a virus or anything, never had my bank accounts hacked, my skype got hacked once, but that wasnt through my computer that was a weak password. but i agree, i feel like you really have to be trying to get infected with bad stuff to actually get infected with bad stuff... for years i ran 0 anti virus tools and even now just use windows defender because the times i did use anti virus tools / internet security suites.. they caused more problems in my computer and i had to format.

so i mean, everyone views this stuff differently.. but making ridiculous accusations that the site is littered with trashy ads and a million popups is just dumb, there is literally like 4 ads and they arent even intrusive or in your face, they are just kind of there.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    edited August 2016
    I've had to ditch FireFox in favor of Opera for sites like this. MMORPG.com is the winner when it comes to the amount of (Flash) ads dumping on the screen that FireFox chokes on it and crashes every couple of minutes. Opera has less issues with it, but still chokes on the site from time to time.

I still see ads on my screen that slip through the (Opera) adblocker (with 15 ads blocked), so why annoy me with BS like this? You still get your ad income!

...or do you want to annoy us with that 10 second pop up to death so that we leave the site all together..? It's not that MMORPG.com is a good source for MMO news lately...
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Asm0deus said:
    filmoret said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Wizardry said:
    ....snip.....

It was only the 90's, kind of a noob to me.  me->symbolics.com. :D    In any case, security is about layers to be in depth.  Anyone who has had to go through NSA Grade Security Audits for Solaris O/S would know about these things.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    mbrodie said:
    Aori said:
    filmoret said:

If you recall there was an ad a few years ago that starting installing on some peoples system.  mmorpg.com staff admitted to it being an ad and said they got it fix.  There was a thread on it. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

This discussion has been closed.