Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's with the AdBlock Notice?

Comments

• BartrumBartrum Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Think I'll pass on checking this site daily.   My Ad-blocker stays.   Bad form MMORPG.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    edited August 2016
    You do realize you are pushing people away right? I do NOT want to be bombarded with ads. So the ad blocker stays on and if I start to feel harassed, I will simply leave the site. You give away very little anymore for any of the games, even free game keys and computer parts, you have started talking about games that have nothing to do with even MMO's, your articles are obviously paid by the game companies to promote them. You are no longer MMORPG and you should change your name. If you want to stay in business, I suggest you stop going to microsoft route and trying to push people to spend money. Whatever happened to incentifying people to your product? 

Let me remind you that you are but one of many sites. You need us to stay in business, we don't need you. I'm tired of being nickle and dimed to death and harassed. Everyone is pushing the consumer to spend more and more money while you know that we don't have it. enough already. 

Ten years I've been with this site and this is the kind of respect you give people.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited August 2016
    observer said:
    filmoret said:
    LOL at the stubborn responses.  OMG they are spying on us.  They are trying to get us.  They are after me...  My computer is compromised.  OH noes....
    You shouldn't be so dismissive of other people's concerns.  It makes you look like a condescending jackass.  People have every right to be concerned about their privacy being invaded.  As someone mentioned above, there's also beacons, trackers, and even malware, in some of these ads.  That whole industry has proven that it's not responsible when it come's to people's privacy.
    No matter how you slice it, you either deal with adds or deal with the pop up, which the latter takes what? two seconds to remedy? If you want it free, take it how it's served.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RollermintRollermint Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Distopia said:
    observer said:
    filmoret said:
    LOL at the stubborn responses.  OMG they are spying on us.  They are trying to get us.  They are after me...  My computer is compromised.  OH noes....
    You shouldn't be so dismissive of other people's concerns.  It makes you look like a condescending jackass.  People have every right to be concerned about their privacy being invaded.  As someone mentioned above, there's also beacons, trackers, and even malware, in some of these ads.  That whole industry has proven that it's not responsible when it come's to people's privacy.
    No matter how you slice it, you either deal with adds or deal with the pop up, which the latter takes what? two seconds to remedy? If you want it free, take it how it's served.
    Or people simply leave and take their traffic to a more respectful website. As many including myself already mentioned, even with adblocks we get 8-11 adds on the website alone. Now they want us to let our guard down. Through very disrespectful means.

Nope. Its staying up.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Distopia said:
    observer said:
    filmoret said:
    Or people simply leave and take their traffic to a more respectful website. As many including myself already mentioned, even with adblocks we get 8-11 adds on the website alone. Now they want us to let our guard down. Through very disrespectful means.

Nope. Its staying up.

What alternate websites do you suggest?  Anyone else want to list site go ahead!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• mastersam21mastersam21 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    For a time way way back I whitelisted this site, after some time the ads got out of control to the point where clicking on a button took me to an ad site. Also viewing this site on my mobile with ads taking up the entire screen without anything to cancel it out, this is way too intrusive. I dont know how it is these days, but my experience in the past with this place means my blocker stays on.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited August 2016
    waynejr2 said:

What alternate websites do you suggest?  Anyone else want to list site go ahead!
    Thanks for your support. Google will work for that. Must we be insulted on our own site? For Pete's sake.

The hard fact of the matter is that the tiny staff of this site is paid by the revenue it generates, NOT, by the way, by game companies as my bank account can attest. Without revenue, no more staff and no more site and it's one less independent niche site down the tubes as the homogenization and "Walmart-i-fication" of the Internet continues. Welcome to the American Strip Mall of Sameness.

I'm saddened to see some long time site members threatening to leave, to refuse to support a place they've enjoyed without issue for years simply for asking to help us keep afloat. 

I'd warrant many of you would feel differently if YOUR livelihood were being threatened.

Score one for the corporate machines.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Asm0deus said:
    Wizardry said:
    ....snip.....

Problem is the term "ADBLOCKER" makes it sound like users are blocking ads,that is 100% FALSE,it is merely blocking "cookies/trackers/beacons" which are deceptive forms of spying.
    Users will still see the ads,they will still click the click baits and take part in the content which is like 90% advertising content anyhow.

Also whoever said antivirus and adblockers do nothing cause he hasn't ever had a problem without either.... I have to say you must not surf the web much.

Noting I said I was using the internet since the 90's.  This adblock stuff is a scam to make you feel like you are safe and secure.  Its just a bunch of bullcrap.  Sure if you allow something to install on your computer then thats your own fault.  Even elicit websites like piratebay, kickass which has the worse ads ever created won't do anything to your computer if you don't press the yes install button.  So keep believing that those ads are harming you somehow if that helps you sleep at night but its just plain wrong.  I am not running any kind of ad blocker and All I see right now is the banner at the bottom.  There's absolutely no reason to block ads from mmorpg.com.  So on this page there's 3 banners at the top and one at the bottom.  Not bad for like 10 pages of scrolling.  
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Daikuru said:
    Just add a premium membership or whatever to call it, like 1$/month or something, problem solved. :D
    Bingo, I'd rather pay $1 or $2 a month directly to MMORPG than open my computer to malware from third parties. 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Moirae said:
    Daikuru said:
    Just add a premium membership or whatever to call it, like 1$/month or something, problem solved. :D
    Bingo, I'd rather pay $1 or $2 a month directly to MMORPG than open my computer to malware from third parties. 
    We have a poll running just for that. 

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/454559/poll-ad-free-monthly-subscription-option#latest

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    SBFord said:
    waynejr2 said:

Thanks for your support. Google will work for that. Must we be insulted on our own site? For Pete's sake.

The hard fact of the matter is that the tiny staff of this site is paid by the revenue it generates, NOT, by the way, by game companies as my bank account can attest. Without revenue, no more staff and no more site and it's one less independent niche site down the tubes as the homogenization and "Walmart-i-fication" of the Internet continues. Welcome to the American Strip Mall of Sameness.

I'm saddened to see some long time site members threatening to leave, to refuse to support a place they've enjoyed without issue for years simply for asking to help us keep afloat. 

I'd warrant many of you would feel differently if YOUR livelihood were being threatened.

At least I was able to fish out how closely you guys are following this thread and quickly you might respond to it.

We hear a lot about mmorpg.com, ads, and revenue.   We understand we come here and you get money.  It is a relationship between mmorpg.com and the advertisers.  However we also heard people talk about their security concerns.  We haven't heard anyone from mmorpg.com address those issues.

I feel like you are more concerned about the mmorpg.com <-> advertiser relationship.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Has anyone ever wondered if the adblocker program itself is a virus?  I mean it claims to be doing stuff but you really don't know do you?  For those of us who remember Y2K bug and all the scammy software everyone was selling to update and protect your computer.  It really didn't do anything but make it appear to make changes.  I'd be more worried about what adblocker I was using.
  • mastersam21mastersam21 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    I love to support the site, Im just a very cautious person. Charging a premium to keep everything ad free I can do. What about merchandise like tees, sweaters, ect? Id be happy to sport MMORPG.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    SBFord said:
    The hard fact of the matter is that the tiny staff of this site is paid by the revenue it generates, NOT, by the way, by game companies as my bank account can attest. Without revenue, no more staff and no more site and it's one less independent niche site down the tubes as the homogenization and "Walmart-i-fying" of the Internet continues. Welcome to the American Strip Mall of Sameness.

People are complaining because there are ads and sponsored links even with ad-block enabled. With it disabled, the site becomes kind of gross. A stray click will whisk you away to whatever obscure game website the ad happens to be for. The banner-ad alone takes up a very large portion of the front page with loads of clickable space. I like this site a lot, but the layout of ads and the use of the screen, in general, are pretty hard on the eyes. And now people who don't want to see even more ad space get smacked with an anti-pop up notification. Also, can users be reassured that the ads are safe? 

Maybe people would be more inclined to disable ABP if the site layout was streamlined and easier to decipher. What's wrong with having several smaller ads off to the side? I have no problem with ads when they are done in a tasteful manner. I don't like being smashed over the head with them. A gigantic banner-ad and other ads that take you off of the site with a stray click are the things I can't stand. 
    I love to support the site, Im just a very cautious person. Charging a premium to keep everything ad free I can do. What about merchandise like tees, sweaters, ect? Id be happy to sport MMORPG.
    Send me 50$ and I'll send you this one.  Thats my GF wearing one.

SBFord, you run articles that blatantly promote certain games and are by no means unbiased. So do tell me how you are so independently run. We keep getting told about unbiased news all the time... guess what, it stopped being unbiased decades ago, just look at CNN, MSN, Fox, and others. If you want to be independent, you run unbiased content with only the facts. You gain respect and more people visiting that way. Biased reviews and articles have been a common complaint on here for years and you and I both know it. I will be quite honest and say that it doesn't matter if your writer likes the game or not even if they rave about it. 

It was promised to us about two years ago that the method of reviewing games would change to address the problem, only it has been slowly going back to where it was when it was first addressed. Every good news agency has an editor that reviews the work before its released, and at least one team member to check the facts before its sent out. Part of the reasons why CNN, MSN, Fox and others have gone so downhill is that they stopped bothering.

Whats worse is that now they, and you, want people that have been here for decades to open themselves to possible third party invasion. My computer cost thousands (and I cannot afford to replace it and probably won't for a long time yet, I'm just hoping it doesn't die any time soon), I am not opening myself to third party invasion. I installed the ad-block for a reason. Because the thieves involved with malware are becoming ever more devious and dangerous, with some ad's even to the point of attaching to the x that normally closes a window to install the malware anyway if you touch it. But you would know this yourself if you were computer saavy. 
  • bound4hadesbound4hades Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I personally won't turn off the adblocker in remembrance of your CEO calling us pirates 2 years back and never having the guts to apologize to us. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Haven't gotten the message.

I use more than one browser though depending on the site I am accessing. For this I use Brave; lets through "friendly" ads (I opt not to disallow) but not "unfriendly" ones. Its a compromise but necessary; it had gotten to the stage were I was struggling to post comments. 
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    SBFord said:
    waynejr2 said:

Allow us the $3.00 per month for no ads on the site and I will support you every month.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I love to support the site, Im just a very cautious person. Charging a premium to keep everything ad free I can do. What about merchandise like tees, sweaters, ect? Id be happy to sport MMORPG

I would support that. I would love a mmorpg.com coffee mug. Even a hoodie :) 
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    edited August 2016
    filmoret said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Wizardry said:
    ....snip.....

Problem is the term "ADBLOCKER" makes it sound like users are blocking ads,that is 100% FALSE,it is merely blocking "cookies/trackers/beacons" which are deceptive forms of spying.
    Users will still see the ads,they will still click the click baits and take part in the content which is like 90% advertising content anyhow.

Also whoever said antivirus and adblockers do nothing cause he hasn't ever had a problem without either.... I have to say you must not surf the web much.

Noting I said I was using the internet since the 90's.  This adblock stuff is a scam to make you feel like you are safe and secure.  Its just a bunch of bullcrap.  Sure if you allow something to install on your computer then thats your own fault.  Even elicit websites like piratebay, kickass which has the worse ads ever created won't do anything to your computer if you don't press the yes install button.  So keep believing that those ads are harming you somehow if that helps you sleep at night but its just plain wrong.  I am not running any kind of ad blocker and All I see right now is the banner at the bottom.  There's absolutely no reason to block ads from mmorpg.com.  So on this page there's 3 banners at the top and one at the bottom.  Not bad for like 10 pages of scrolling.  
    If you have been surfing since the 90's as you say you very well know there are sites that pop up a bunch of ads and other junk that is very dangerous to try and close as sometimes even the "x" is something you don't want to touch. Having an antivirus, adblocker and something like spybot has saved me from infections quite a few times and not because I clicked install on some random pop up either.

Sorry but your idea that no A/V etc is just as safe as having one is ludicrous, you should shush up until you surf more than in the nice safe well known commercial seaside resorts and have went into deep waters and have a clue what you are talking about.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

I personally won't turn off the adblocker in remembrance of your CEO calling us pirates 2 years back and never having the guts to apologize to us. 
    Image result for but im a pirate picture

Wear it proudly bro.
    I just don't understand why they didn't ASK us. Why not explain the problem, and speak to those that come here asking for suggestions instead of implementing something like this that can cause serious trouble for us? It would have taken a simple forum post, and we could have made suggestions that would have made everyones lives easier without contributing to the thieving third party companies and promoting what we actually do care about. It doesn't make sense. I don't know about you, but I get so tired of the constant assumptions that decisions should be made without speaking to those that use the items first, and not just start doing things. 

It's like whats going on with McDonalds. Everyone could have told them that the problem is not the menu, the problem is the service. Rude and lazy staff, burned food, food done wrong (fries not cooked, missing items, added items that you don't want, etc). Instead, the company chose to run off and assume they knew the problem and now we have a very trimmed down menu where items that are classics have been removed, all day breakfast is kind of boring, and the actual problems still haven't been fixed. 

It's the same thing. Just ask us. The public is paying attention. And sometimes we just might have answers that will help us both. 
  • HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116
    I have a feeling this is just a start, with their "new" site and all.
  • Ir1shguyIr1shguy Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Yeah its our choice to block ads because we dont click them so whats the problem? The banner saying as much is fine but pop ups are more obtrusive. Time to look for another site.
This discussion has been closed.